Duke & Sammie

WFE12

If they both have good years, they're probably both gone. But hey, what's a better recruiting pitch for future studs than "We just sent 2 undergrad receivers to the first round (or first 2).

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Sammie even has an average year, he probably still could go round 4, I know some teams will probably try to use his physicality at other positions

Where do you see them playing him? Safety?

If Sammie even has an average year, he probably still could go round 4, I know some teams will probably try to use his physicality at other positions

What I'm trying to tell them....out of all things to fix a Mel nfl team would be ecstatic to only have to work on consistency with a guy. And to be honest I don't even remember too many drops after the a&m game. And everybody on the team stepped their game up then. But still the duke is gone but Sammie has work to do trips me out. There is no telling what all Sammie would have done at a juco

LMAO at some of you folks. Duke hasn't played a down of D1 football and you're so sure he's NFL bound after one season?? Don't get me wrong it could happen, but there's no way of knowing at this point. I'm gonna need to see more than a good spring game against 2nd and 3rd stringers to believe he's a first or second round draft pick.

LMAO at some of you folks. Duke hasn't played a down of D1 football and you're so sure he's NFL bound after one season?? Don't get me wrong it could happen, but there's no way of knowing at this point. I'm gonna need to see more than a good spring game against 2nd and 3rd stringers to believe he's a first or second round draft pick.

Pretty much

Duke is gone because it's pretty well known that he only wants to play 1 year and then head to the draft (I will look for my link to that). It has nothing to do with ability, compared to anyone else or as an absolute.

Duke has been considered to be a one-and-done since he was being recruited. Wants to get to the NFL fast

forgot about that..don't blame him

Duke is gone. I don't know about Sammie. His freshman year was pretty OK, last year he was the man...but both years, he had trouble with the dropsies, and both years he's been mostly the deep guy. He's got wicked speed and a long body and good strength. That said, I think if he goes this year, he's a 2nd-3rd rounder.

I don't know, though, I just get this weird feeling that he comes back for his Senior year. No inside info, just my gut. And if he does stay, I think he goes top 10 in the 2016 draft - I can see him picking the team up, putting it on his back, catching some redonkulous passes from JJ, and running up and down the field.

Sammie Coates - Heisman 2015!

oh my gosh how i wish that would happen! one can only wish though, glad to still have him this year for sure though, and duke

I don't see both of them leaving early. Frankly, it will be difficult for both of them to get the targets they need to draw attention since our offense will still be predicated on the run.

that's what i was thinking,interesting to see how both's numbers look after this year, love that duke still came after knowing that we are a run-first team, hoping gus makes sure he gets an ample amount of opportunities to show nfl scouts he's a future pro-bowler

Sammie Coates makes me think of a combination between Terrell Owens and Randy Moss. He can burn you but he's also really strong and can throw DBs off of him. Duke is very much a possession receiver. He seems to be a ball magnet. At A-Day he seemed to know how to find the holes in the defense to get open and he also could fight for the ball if covered. These two guys are who I'm most excited to watch on the team.

ahh man...you are spot on with him and T.O, except sammie's a bit faster than he was

If they both have good years, they're probably both gone. But hey, what's a better recruiting pitch for future studs than "We just sent 2 undergrad receivers to the first round (or first 2).

great point, just curious about how they'll get good enough numbers i a run-first offense

Coates has to consistently learn how to catch a football before he gets drafted IMO. Jumping and sprinting are cool to watch, but id rather have a WR with great hands....he has far from elite catching ability.

From what I saw in the A day game, Dook can make every catch out there and I'd assume he's done after this year, which is a shame cuz he could put up some insane number with JJ or Sean White.

Glad to see how well this topic has been doing, very compelling to me...In Gus's run first offense how could both go to the draft after this season, could sammie really have leverage from the previous season that makes him need only to have a solid year or does he need to prove something this season?, will one year of D-1 be good enough for duke in a run-first offense?

He has the physicality once the ball is in his hands, so just remove the ball, and the physicality is there to play safety

Not sure if it will be an easy transfer of positions, Sammie has played receiver since ever

Glad to see how well this topic has been doing, very compelling to me...In Gus's run first offense how could both go to the draft after this season, could sammie really have leverage from the previous season that makes him need only to have a solid year or does he need to prove something this season?, will one year of D-1 be good enough for duke in a run-first offense?

I would consider LSU a run first offense and they had two WR get drafted last season.

He has the physicality once the ball is in his hands, so just remove the ball, and the physicality is there to play safety

Not sure if it will be an easy transfer of positions, Sammie has played receiver since ever

Sammie will be a WR in the pros and he will be drafted high. There isn't an NFL coach out there who wouldn't want him on their team.

Sammie will be a WR in the pros and he will be drafted high. There isn't an NFL coach out there who wouldn't want him on their team.

Yup. Safety... LOL.

Only our fan base could have one of the best wr in the conference and we talk about him not being good enough to go to the nfl and moving him from wr.....lol.

Lot of you did the same thing about Tre Mason as well though.....

Only our fan base could have one of the best wr in the conference and we talk about him not being good enough to go to the nfl and moving him from wr.....lol.

*nodding furiously*

Exactly. The guy is the most NFL-ready WR I've ever seen us have. He's the prototypical NFL WR.

I would consider LSU a run first offense and they had two WR get drafted last season.

yeah but.......not like our offense, run way more than they do lol

lmbo!just in case you were alluding to me, i think sammie is good enough NOW to go the nfl but im only questioning because i wonder how high he would get drafted.

i wonder how high he would get drafted.

That's a perfectly fair question. The answer is "2nd round at worst", IMO, unless there is no improvement in our passing game. As many of us have mentioned, WR is a position that the NFL values athleticism in more than almost any other, and that is obviously Sammie's strong suit. (Side note: I hope Bruce Feldman gets a cut of Sammie's first NFL check.)

Where I and I think others take issue is when folks overstate Sammie's deficiencies- no, he's not perfect, but just look at what he did in the first season that an Auburn QB could get a ball anywhere in his zip code- and when folks assume that Williams is going to be a bigger contributor this season. It's quite possible, but many of us think that Sammie has earned at least a "let's wait and see" approach from Auburn fans.

2 other things:

1) I do agree that Sammie would make a great safety... if he was already a safety.

2) Auctoritas is right: Williams will be taking his chances with the draft no matter what, so it's not a comment on relative skill or production to say that he's gone but Sammie might not be.

i wonder how high he would get drafted.

That's a perfectly fair question. The answer is "2nd round at worst", IMO, unless there is no improvement in our passing game. As many of us have mentioned, WR is a position that the NFL values athleticism in more than almost any other, and that is obviously Sammie's strong suit. (Side note: I hope Bruce Feldman gets a cut of Sammie's first NFL check.)

Where I and I think others take issue is when folks overstate Sammie's deficiencies- no, he's not perfect, but just look at what he did in the first season that an Auburn QB could get a ball anywhere in his zip code- and when folks assume that Williams is going to be a bigger contributor this season. It's quite possible, but many of us think that Sammie has earned at least a "let's wait and see" approach from Auburn fans.

2 other things:

1) I do agree that Sammie would make a great safety... if he was already a safety.

2) Auctoritas is right: Williams will be taking his chances with the draft no matter what, so it's not a comment on relative skill or production to say that he's gone but Sammie might not be.

I agree, and i just want to make sure i've made it crystal clear to everyone that Coates is a FREAK! there's no reson to doubt him, i've seen people comment about his catching and i didn't see anything to really be concerned about...

Archived