Duke & Sammie

WFE12

Hey, I'm a big Coates guy. I"m not blaming him for the offensive woes at all -- how many times did Coates burn his man only to have Marshall overthrow him? Duke and Ricardo also had EASY drops. Duke's were just as bad, IMO, and equally as infuriating. C'mon fellas, you gotta help your inconsistent QB out when he does throw it on the money.

Wondering when the light will come on fully for Ricardo as well. He will have an awesome play, then match it with a boneheaded one.

Also in regards to Coates being the new scapegoat -- I think success is directly correlated to expectation. A lot on here expected him to come out on fire and pick up where he left off from last year, but any levelheaded observer would know that with Duke on the other side and defenses having a whole offseason to figure out Coates was the only true WR threat that teams would key in on him in the passing game. NM doesn't need to look to force it to Sammie anymore, Duke is on the other side and owning slot defenders.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sammie dropped a pass and duke dropped one that was a touchdown. Sammie caught a big pass on the next play on a third down. Duke caught big passes later in the game as well. You guys are all over Sammie and praising duke. Sammie playing with a bad hamstring still getting behind defenses. Anybody else playing hurt you guys talking about how selfless a guy is and how he's a warrior......I tell you I don't know how it happened but he's the new player the fan base loves to hate lol

Let's examine why we would be praising Duke much more than Sammie...

Duke: 21 catches, 324 yards, 2 tds

Sammie: 3 catches, 37 yards, 0 TDS.

Sammie has only played in the Ark and K State games, though, so let's just take Duke's numbers from those games. That still puts him at 17 catches for 264 yards and 2 tds. I hope Sammie lives up to the expectations that some have of him and I'll gladly eat crow if he does, but it's pretty obvious why Duke is getting all the praise.

There is no doubt Sammie hasn't lived up to his capability to far this season, but it is coming. He will still have a big year.

To his credit, he's played one game and another hindered by an injury. I think he gets a pass this early in the season.

There is no doubt Sammie hasn't lived up to his capability to far this season, but it is coming. He will still have a big year.

To his credit, he's played one game and another hindered by an injury. I think he gets a pass this early in the season.

Completely agree, not complaining at all. It was clear he wasn't 100% in that game. Hopefully he will get that burst back in time for LSU.

Sammie dropped a pass and duke dropped one that was a touchdown. Sammie caught a big pass on the next play on a third down. Duke caught big passes later in the game as well. You guys are all over Sammie and praising duke. Sammie playing with a bad hamstring still getting behind defenses. Anybody else playing hurt you guys talking about how selfless a guy is and how he's a warrior......I tell you I don't know how it happened but he's the new player the fan base loves to hate lol

Sammie has only played in the Ark and K State games, though, so let's just take Duke's numbers from those games. That still puts him at 17 catches for 264 yards and 2 tds. I hope Sammie lives up to the expectations that some have of him and I'll gladly eat crow if he does, but it's pretty obvious why Duke is getting all the praise.

Dude I don't care about your stats and I don't care if he gets praise or not I'm saying they both made the same mistake LAST game and people not reacting the same.

And note Sammie is a downfield guy so yeah he won't have as many catches if for nothing else the passes are less accurate. Then being a downfield that with a pulled hammy makes life even tougher but rest assured even the ones he doesn't catch, Duke, CAP and everyone else on offense thanks him because he's helping them shine by stretching the field and doubling him

Dude I don't care about your stats and I don't care if he gets praise or not I'm saying they both made the same mistake LAST game and people not reacting the same.

And note Sammie is a downfield guy so yeah he won't have as many catches if for nothing else the passes are less accurate. Then being a downfield that with a pulled hammy makes life even tougher but rest assured even the ones he doesn't catch, Duke, CAP and everyone else on offense thanks him because he's helping them shine by stretching the field and doubling him

Dude they're not my stats, but it's good to know you ignore relevant information while forming an opinion so I know you're not someone who's likely to have anything worthwhile to say. Yeah, Duke dropped some passes but his production gets him off the hook. Sammie drops passes and doesn't make up for it. There is your difference. But I guess you don't care about any of that.

For those of you busy talking about how unproductive Sammie has been, be sure to remember not once but twice when he got behind everybody on the K-State defense and was overthrown. He wasn't consistent, but Duke actually dropped more passes than Coates did...

I've got a lot of faith in Sammie, and I was surprised to see Duke drop those passes last night.

They may both be receivers, bur they play different roles on the team. I sure hope they see themselves as teammates working toward the same goal (think Cadillac and Ronnie) rather than as competitors.

I don't think Sammie was 100%... hopefully he'll get healed up this week, be 100% and full speed by LSU.

I'd kind of like to see Coates sit out the La Tech game to give his hamstring a little extra time. You could tell he was favoring one leg all night.

Dude they're not my stats, but it's good to know you ignore relevant information while forming an opinion so I know you're not someone who's likely to have anything worthwhile to say. Yeah, Duke dropped some passes but his production gets him off the hook. Sammie drops passes and doesn't make up for it. There is your difference. But I guess you don't care about any of that.

See rednilla's post under yours. And as stated in my previous message I was talking about the Kansas st game and that game only since clearly it wouldn't make sense to talk overall production when Sammie didn't even play in one game and played in the other games hurt....so I guess you're the one without anything worthwhile to say.....

Also like I said Sammie coming in playing hurt is admirable nothing he should be ridiculed for and even when he doesn't catch the pass winning that downfield battle every time opens up the offense for everybody else. It's one of those things you know when you know football doubt you can run and find a stat on it but that doesn't mean it's not real lol

think it's a foregone conclusion now..Duke's going to the draft after this season and sammie is staying one more year....also why was he playing against la tech when he still wasn't 100%?...

Way too early to predict this. A couple high profile October/November performances by either may be all it takes to put them on an NFL board but if either looks average or doesn't rise to the occasion in most of the remaining games against a parade of stellar defenses, they may face the tricky decision whether to stay or go in a late round. Both are off to good starts but drops, failing to block and/or the appearance of being eminantly coverable from here on out could bring either back. Just because a player with huge potential "wants to get to the NFL as fast as possible" doesn't make them ripe for the NFL.

Way too early to predict this. A couple high profile October/November performances by either may be all it takes to put them on an NFL board but if either looks average or doesn't rise to the occasion in most of the remaining games against a parade of stellar defenses, they may face the tricky decision whether to stay or go in a late round. Both are off to good starts but drops, failing to block and/or the appearance of being eminantly coverable from here on out could bring either back. Just because a player with huge potential "wants to get to the NFL as fast as possible" doesn't make them ripe for the NFL.

Not at all, but if Duke is as adamant about going pro after this season as it has been said since before he ever arrived on the Plains, it's his choice to do so...even if things don't work out the way he thinks they will.

I think Sammie will have to have a couple of big time games before he'll have the prestige to test the waters, even knowing that he will likely blow the scouts away at the combine with his size and speed.

Not at all, but if Duke is as adamant about going pro after this season as it has been said since before he ever arrived on the Plains, it's his choice to do so...even if things don't work out the way he thinks they will.

I think Sammie will have to have a couple of big time games before he'll have the prestige to test the waters, even knowing that he will likely blow the scouts away at the combine with his size and speed.

Agree. I was one who assumed his athleticism combined with just a slightly-higher-than-average acumen for catching balls would get him drafted early. That ball catching acumen has not been displayed. And I'm not talking about drops. I'm talking about certain situations where he didn't even really get his hands on the ball. Could be a result of injury, and there's lots of football left. Just saying that I agree that he's going to have to show better going forward.

OOO Wee! Duke is gonna have a field day against his former "dream school" That's even more motivation for him, he's gonna have a huge impact!...Now if Sammie can get back to being ole Slammin Sammie...all i know is that LSU secondary better be ready..

Wow,im thinking duke would have a huge game and it is sammie making a resurgence to his all-american level of play, that secondary was not ready, Man it was good to see that, Guess who's back...back again......

Archived