My favorite takeaway from Malzahn's conference

Dual-Threat Rigby

BTW I never expected 2014 to be statistically the same as 2013, but against the defenses we've played and the glimmers we've seen, I don't know why its not at the same level. 320 yards seems pretty attainable against teams like SJSU, LaTech and at least reach 200 against KSU

I think it was at 302 ypg leading into the state game.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I've never tried to save anything," Malzahn said on Auburn's Tiger Talk radio show Monday night. "With this stretch we have, we can't save anything.

Never

Never

We (not me, but as a majority) liked to read so much into the words of Gus, this proves our struggles were struggles. With me saying this, I don't believe Malzahn wanted to switch from the game plan too much against SJSU and LaTech.

i "beat the dead horse" in the 'sandbagging' thread over this point. Gus likes to score and look good doing it. He will not hold back especially when he only puts 20on the board.

Phillip Marshall said it best, the season is like a double elimination tournament. Auburn is now in the losers bracket. They have to do everything possible to win each game. No holding back....

I think this is pretty accurate. I also think this is going to be an annual thing. First 4 or 5 games will be up and down then he will turn it loose. Some years it will work. Some years it won't.

As I've mentioned before, in both 2010 and 2013, seems like the Gus Bus didn't shift into overdrive until around this point in the season. Gus always seems to have a kick for the second half of the race. And I'd much rather lose early and win later than vice versa!

...just hope we can win out. Then if Ole Miss wins the Egg Bowl, there could be a 3-way tie in the West with us, them and MSU, each with one loss and split 1-1 in head-to-head. Don't know how the tie-breaker works from there. Don't know how many of the three would make the playoffs either. Hypothetically, we could even see the West rep lose in Atlanta, and the two NOT playing in the SECCG making the final four.. :dunno: (Although losing a game as late as the Egg Bowl is not a good way to stay in the top four.)

For us to make the playoffs we need to be big UAT fans when they play MSU and then Ole Miss win the Egg Bowl. This is all assuming we win out. MSU will have to lose 2 for us to make the SECCG.

As for the 4 team playoff - with our schedule (UM, UGA, UAT all on the road) - we should get in because this means UM and UAT would fall behind us leaving only FSU and possibly MSU ranked ahead. The kicker would be what happens if Oregon and Mich St win out and win their conference. Our only sure bet is pray MSU loses 2 and we repeat as SEC Champs.

I honestly think that if we win out and end in a 3 way tie with the Miss teams then we will end up in Atlanta because of our East team schedule. But your right the only sure fire way is for state to drop 2, get ready to cheer for the toothless and for ole Miss.

Well that 3 way tie scenario just went out the window Saturday. Now we have to have MSU lose twice.

Archived