What are the odds?

WarEagle84

There have been 15,723 possessions in 594 FBS games this season. Only 62 drives (0.4 percent) have ended via fumble at or inside the opponent's 6. The chance of two of these instances happening in back-to-back possessions is around 0.002 percent, or one in about 62,500. Have this happen in the fourth quarter of a close, important game, and you're maybe looking at one in between half a million and a million. Or, as Auburn fans are beginning to call it, "November."

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/11/4/7153961/college-football-statistics-florida-tennessee-oregon

interesting but media using that to belittle Auburn wins is getting out of hand. Our hustling defender FORCED the fumble by catching their wide receiver from behind. Nicks 1st down toss was just high enough to avoid a pick-6, it never was a pass the defender "should have intercepted". The kick 6 was the best kickoff returner in the SEC returning a kick 109 yards with speed and good blocking. We stopped miss st on the 1 inch line last year. That's called a goal line stand. The ONLY luck play in the gus era at Auburn was Georgia's former D back bouncing a pass off their current D backs' hands for an Auburn TD. But then part of winning is...not losing.

There have been 15,723 possessions in 594 FBS games this season. Only 62 drives (0.4 percent) have ended via fumble at or inside the opponent's 6. The chance of two of these instances happening in back-to-back possessions is around 0.002 percent, or one in about 62,500. Have this happen in the fourth quarter of a close, important game, and you're maybe looking at one in between half a million and a million. Or, as Auburn fans are beginning to call it, "November."

http://www.sbnation....ennessee-oregon

interesting but media using that to belittle Auburn wins is getting out of hand. Our hustling defender FORCED the fumble by catching their wide receiver from behind. Nicks 1st down toss was just high enough to avoid a pick-6, it never was a pass the defender "should have intercepted". The kick 6 was the best kickoff returner in the SEC returning a kick 109 yards with speed and good blocking. We stopped miss st on the 1 inch line last year. That's called a goal line stand. The ONLY luck play in the gus era at Auburn was Georgia's former D back bouncing a pass off their current D backs' hands for an Auburn TD. But then part of winning is...not losing.

In all honesty our defender didn't cause that fumble. Had Treadwell not tried to reach the ball out across the goal line he wouldn't have fumbled. Now our player hustled and put himself in position. I love that all this has happened but you can't rely on it to continue every game. Eventually there will come a game where things like that don't happen for us. You can't keep walking along the edge of the cliff like that before finally falling off. There is a downside to that. When you keep winning games like that you have a tendency to believe you always will. That sounds great but then you forget to play sound fundamental football and the aforementioned falling off the cliff happens. That having been said, I love that these things have happened and am tickled to death with the wins.

In all honesty our defender didn't cause that fumble. Had Treadwell not tried to reach the ball out across the goal line he wouldn't have fumbled. Now our player hustled and put himself in position. I love that all this has happened but you can't rely on it to continue every game. Eventually there will come a game where things like that don't happen for us. You can't keep walking along the edge of the cliff like that before finally falling off. There is a downside to that. When you keep winning games like that you have a tendency to believe you always will. That sounds great but then you forget to play sound fundamental football and the aforementioned falling off the cliff happens. That having been said, I love that these things have happened and am tickled to death with the wins.

I don't remember Treadwell reaching out at all. I remember him getting pulled back and what appeared to be him letting go of the ball (probably because of the excrutiating injury that instantaneously occured). I could be wrong and maybe I should go back and look again.

I don't remember Treadwell reaching out at all. I remember him getting pulled back and what appeared to be him letting go of the ball (probably because of the excrutiating injury that instantaneously occured). I could be wrong and maybe I should go back and look again.

That was my take on it, too. I also heard Freeze say when he visited Treadwell in the hospital afterward, he apologized for letting the team down (class act), which kinda fits with that scenario.

You're right. I was thinking of the play where it looked like Bo was trying to reach out to make the first down.

The Wallace play wasn't luck. At all. It was a heads up play by Moncrief to try and jar the ball loose, and a moronic play by Wallace trying to stretch the ball. There's no luck involved in that play. Unless it's considered luck to play against Bo Wallace as a general proposition.

The Wallace play wasn't luck. At all. It was a heads up play by Moncrief to try and jar the ball loose, and a moronic play by Wallace trying to stretch the ball. There's no luck involved in that play. Unless it's considered luck to play against Bo Wallace as a general proposition.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think it's hilarious that he's quoted as saying "We won the game" after we won. He should've gone to Bama. Maybe he'll claim the natty this year, too (after they don't win it).

Treadwell has displayed nothing but class, on the other hand.

I know our player knocked the ball loose. It was a smart thing to do. Never said otherwise. It was not a smart thing for Bo to stick the ball out there like that. What I have said is that those things won't always be there and at some point you have to be fundamentally sound.

I'm not going to get in the main argument I guess but I do consider us lucky that whoever that corner was didn't pick Marshall's pass off at the end of last game. Whatever play that is we need to scrap it or modify it because they must have scouted the hell out of it

cooltiger, that WAS a fundamentally sound play. Two guys stacked up the runner, the third guy tried to get the ball out. That's what you teach. It just so happened that Wallace made dumb play, but Moncrief was doing exactly as taught.

I'm with cole. The dropped INT and Treadwell's fumble were luck. Kris made a great play to make a tackle before Treadwell scored, but he wasn't trying to get the ball out. That just happened. The dropped INT had nothing to do with Nick or Sammie making a play. Just dumb luck. We were good enough to take advantage, drive the ball and win the game, but those two plays were luck. Bo's fumble was a fundamentally sound and heads up play.

What are the odds of winning a game on two fumbles and losing one on two fumbles seven days later.

Archived