Ellis Johnson

Ed_

I saw Chizik mentioned above ...

Chizik, who received a $7.5 million dollar buyout for the remaining years on his contract, is still being paid in monthly installments of $209,457.84, according to Alabama Open Financial Records, and will continue to be paid through the 2015-2016 fiscal year.

http://www.al.com/sp..._million_i.html

And for what it's worth, another $2.5MM or so is still owed to Tony Barbee.

Fun times.

Damn JJ, what were u thinking? Geesh

Not sure about TB, but I know with Chizik the caveat is that any money he earns until his buyout is up is subtracted from what we owe him.

ie., If we owe him $200k a month, but SEC Network (BSPN) is paying him $100k a month, we only have to pay him $100k. Everything he earns from now til then lessens what we pay. I'd assume TB's contract is similarly set up due to the same PTB making the deals with him, but who knows. Basically, shoot for Chizik to get a job coaching again somewhere.

Also - regarding CEJ, all I hear in SC is that "if Auburn is stupid enough to get rid of Ellis, we'd LOVE to have him back"... just food for thought.

I was just reading one (caveat there) of their message boards and saw one reference to other SC fans wanting him back. The only thing I took away is the feeling over there is that when EJ has elite talent, he produces a decent defense. If he doesn't have that elite talent at every position, and he doesn't seem capable of bringing that to Auburn, then his defense is what we see.

Ellis needs to go. Somehow I don't believe that change will be made though. With the athletic dept nearly $900K in the hole adding EJ's $800+ / year may be a non-starter. In that respect, get rid of Ellis and tell him he has to take Jay with him.

So the new excuse is now wait until he has elite talent all over the field?

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some people are completely blind to this matter. It takes great talent to have a great defense. What is so hard to understand that. And if you don't, you really know nothing about football.

Some people are completely blind to this matter. It takes great talent to have a great defense. What is so hard to understand that. And if you don't, you really know nothing about football.

Lol^^ it doesn't take great talent to tackle. I'll take a dcoordinator from una to teach our guys on how to tackle, because our current coordinator is NOT getting it done

As has been stated numerous times on this board, Coach Tuberville far from had the defensive side of the ball filled with elite recruits, but he COACHED them into fundamentally sound football players.

If you want to complain about lbs's tackling then blame EJ. If you are complaining about any other position' s tackling and you're blaming EJ then you are misguided.

If you want to complain about lbs's tackling then blame EJ. If you are complaining about any other position' s tackling and you're blaming EJ then you are misguided.

Do you feel like there may be (or needs to be) some changes in position coaches on defense?

As has been stated numerous times on this board, Coach Tuberville far from had the defensive side of the ball filled with elite recruits, but he COACHED them into fundamentally sound football players.

This is a guy with a baseball handle telling people they don't know football.....

Guest jojo1515

If this is the only argument then the D staff definitely needs to go. Defensive recruiting right now is HORRENDOUS!!! Thank you for proving what we all are thinking lol

Do you feel like there may be (or needs to be) some changes in position coaches on defense?

to me, a coach needsat least 3 years to determine their performance. First year, new scheme. 2nd year, doesn't have his players. 3rd year is when you start to see the difference. One of our problems is we have been too impatient when it comes to DC's . in order to have success, you need to have players in a scheme for more than a year or two. Look at our seniors, they have had 2-3 DCs to have to learn under. There has been absolutely no defensive consistency. I'm not saying our D looks good, but some of yall's angst and ire is misplaced.

I agree with that but my thought has an asterisk so to speak if the problems are things like mixing up coverages, hesitation, messing up play calls ok but if it's things like poor tackling, shedding blocks, lack of physicality that's different IMO. Also imo there should be improvement from one year to the next, may be marginal, may be starting far from the bottom so the next year looks bad as well but progressing up nevertheless....IMO I can't say that ANYWHERE on our defense but linebackers.

to me, a coach needsat least 3 years to determine their performance. First year, new scheme. 2nd year, doesn't have his players. 3rd year is when you start to see the difference. One of our problems is we have been too impatient when it comes to DC's . in order to have success, you need to have players in a scheme for more than a year or two. Look at our seniors, they have had 2-3 DCs to have to learn under. There has been absolutely no defensive consistency. I'm not saying our D looks good, but some of yall's angst and ire is misplaced.

thx for your perspective. how do we explain tackling? talent, want to, ? i have no idea.

I don't think you're wrong in saying the 3-4 year plan is key in seeing how the coach really does, but I guess the question is whether or not it is worth dumping CEJ for somebody like Muschamp. It might be worth it in the long run to get Muschamp and take the transition lumps again due to CWM having a higher ceiling than CEJ.

Of course, CWM could also leave in a few years starting the cycle back, but then again, CEJ could retire too.

We have seen Muschamp as DC at AU for a few years and the defense was 100x times better than it has looked at any time since CEJ has been at AU. Sure, there are more than a few reasons one can point to that give reasons as to why CWM's era was better than the CEJ era. Such as HUNH offenses, Tubs always having good Defenses, etc

I don't think you're wrong in saying the 3-4 year plan is key in seeing how the coach really does, but I guess the question is whether or not it is worth dumping CEJ for somebody like Muschamp. It might be worth it in the long run to get Muschamp and take the transition lumps again due to CWM having a higher ceiling than CEJ.

Of course, CWM could also leave in a few years starting the cycle back, but then again, CEJ could retire too.

We have seen Muschamp as DC at AU for a few years and the defense was 100x times better than it has looked at any time since CEJ has been at AU. Sure, there are more than a few reasons one can point to that give reasons as to why CWM's era was better than the CEJ era. Such as HUNH offenses, Tubs always having good Defenses, etc

"I'm not going to sit there and say we're doing some of the same things everybody else in America does, but we have to do it on a more consistent basis."-CEJ

Gus said yesterday he is sticking with Ellis. Full confidence in the staff. Gus is too loyal. We are not getting a new DC

What did you expect him to say? That he was going to fire him that night. Gus has to maintain solidarity on the staff until the season is over. Not saying he will or will not fire him but I don't see that statement as meaning anything more than proper coach talk.

"I'm not going to sit there and say we're doing some of the same things everybody else in America does, but we have to do it on a more consistent basis."-CEJ

What the hell does this mean?

They play a different style of defense? They just have to be more consistent within the defense?

What the hell does this mean?

They play a different style of defense? They just have to be more consistent within the defense?

what does anything he says mean?

"If we feel we are doing the right thing...doesn't matter to me what the results are we are going to keep on doing it" - CEJ

We aren't good at tackling, so I want a coach that makes our guys want to do that better. We obviously practice tackling so the other half of the equation is missing.

We aren't good at tackling, so I want a coach that makes our guys want to do that better. We obviously practice tackling so the other half of the equation is missing.

Apparently, we either don't or barely practice tackling during the season.

You have to be in a position to tackle. You have to get off a block to tackle. They know how to tackle. The defensive line is getting blocked and linebackers are a half step or more out of position on their bad plays. On cut back runs our DE's at times are not getting off blocks to tackle. Defensive backs have been exposed at times. The gut knee jerk reaction to have a head roll for the sake of poor performance is just that. Knee jerk. I have not read many constructive reviews in our threads on defense. Everyone is disappointed in the out come of the last two games. Our strengths and weak spots are there to see. I read more blow hard bully fantasy football fixes and that is more frustrating than the losses.

You have to be in a position to tackle. You have to get off a block to tackle. They know how to tackle. The defensive line is getting blocked and linebackers are a half step or more out of position on their bad plays. On cut back runs our DE's at times are not getting off blocks to tackle. Defensive backs have been exposed at times. The gut knee jerk reaction to have a head roll for the sake of poor performance is just that. Knee jerk. I have not read many constructive reviews in our threads on defense. Everyone is disappointed in the out come of the last two games. Our strengths and weak spots are there to see. I read more blow hard bully fantasy football fixes and that is more frustrating than the losses.

I agree with most of this -- even the claim that they know how to tackle. But there have been too many times when guys HAVE been in position to make a tackle and have NOT looked like they know how to do it. That doesn't mean they don't need to be in position, get off blocks, and so on.

I'm disappointed not only in the outcome of the last two games, but also in the way we played those games. In the aTm game, we started too slowly on D and made a freshman making his first road start look like a grizzled veteran. In the UGA game, we got whipped in every phase of the game. It was like we gave up. That should NEVER happen.

I'm not saying we need to fire any coaches. That's not my call to make. But I know what I saw, and what I didn't see, the last couple of games. And I didn't like it one bit.

Very well said.

Guest jojo1515

Very well said.

If we were talking one bad performance, I would agree. However, we are talking the first time in AU football history that over 30 points have been given up in 5 consecutive games. The worst 5 game stretch in the 122 year history of AU football being judged is not a knee jerk reaction. It has gone way past knee jerk , beyond educated guess and into the realm of fact. There is no possible way to defend the worst 5 game stretch in AU history. I am sure there are excuses out the yin yang, but in the previous 122 I am sure all the same excuses could have been used many many times, yet the previous record for 30 point games by the D in the history of AU football was THREE. This D surpassed the worst ever by 66 percent. They not only tied the worst ever, they blew it out of the freaking water so high it landed on a mountain. That is not a knee jerk reaction, that is the proper reaction to the worst performance under any DC in AU history by a very large margin. 122 years worth of excuses only gave 3 games in a row this bad. EJs D topped 122 years of possible excuses by 66 percent in one year. There is no defending this defense.

Archived