Ellis Johnson

Ed_

I thought last year the M. Adams was the up and comer to put us back on the path of correcting this. But he has disappeared this season for some reason.

Where did he go?

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought last year the M. Adams was the up and comer to put us back on the path of correcting this. But he has disappeared this season for some reason.

Where did he go?

I don't know and don't understand it either. I do think the lack of an edge pass rusher this year made it easier for teams to double team him and other DTs. When you're worried about Dee Ford or Lawson beating you on the edge, you have to devote more blocking resources to those guys, giving Adams and other DTs more one on one matchups.

Guest jojo1515

I am not offering or proposing excuses. Your pulling a 3 game stretch out of 122 years as a basis and only using defensive stats. Total team performance is down over that three game stretch. Compare 2012 to 2014 and tell me where we are as a team. That three game stretch doesn't even come close to worse in 122 years of Auburn football. Wins and losses are a better stat. Not trying to make an Ellis Johnson fan out of you. Make voodoo dolls and burn him in effigy if you like, but to wholesale and discount 2014 season as EJ's fault is very narrow. Where is the offense in getting only 7 points against Ga? Special team turn overs with offensive turnovers.... did EJ cause those as well? Show me a stat where getting rid of EJ will make special teams not turn the ball over and make the offense more productive. Defense has problems beyond x's and o's. Against A&M and Georgia our defensive front has not taken the fight to their offenses. We didn't win those areas. If you don't win up front then next level of defense is 5 yards down the field. Then the offense has the advantage. Our offense did not take advantage of A&M by turnovers. Our offense did not take advantage of Georgia's defense. Our team has under performed the last three games as a whole.

While I see you're point, you missed my entire point. I am not taking three games, I am taking the last FIVE games. Sadly the only comparison over the 122 year history of AU football, there are only 3 game stretches that are as bad. This includes many many terrible seasons overall. While offense and special teams have their place in the argument, over 122 years there have been plenty worse cases of offense and special teams than this year and yet no 4 game stretches of defense this bad, let alone 5. Also, the offense averaged 29 points a game during the 5 game stretch. What's the real problem here?

Also, most players go through a sophomore slump for some reason

I can't tell if it's actually a sophomore slump or if we've raised our expectation level to the point where he is "underperforming" (i.e. he actually got better, but not as much better as we thought he would).

I can't speak for anyone else, but I specifically remember him coming in for the first time last year and being disappointed that we were not going to redshirt him and get him another year in the S&C program, but then I was obviously plesantly surprised by the level of play that Monty was able to bring to the DL. Because of the great level of play that he brought, a lot of people expected him to be a game-changer on the DL this year, and while I think he has improved, he has not been able to take over a game the way that Fairley or Suh could (could be due to being double teamed a lot of the time, caused by a lack of pass rush off of the edge).

I am not offering or proposing excuses. Your pulling a 3 game stretch out of 122 years as a basis and only using defensive stats. Total team performance is down over that three game stretch. Compare 2012 to 2014 and tell me where we are as a team. That three game stretch doesn't even come close to worse in 122 years of Auburn football. Wins and losses are a better stat. Not trying to make an Ellis Johnson fan out of you. Make voodoo dolls and burn him in effigy if you like, but to wholesale and discount 2014 season as EJ's fault is very narrow. Where is the offense in getting only 7 points against Ga? Special team turn overs with offensive turnovers.... did EJ cause those as well? Show me a stat where getting rid of EJ will make special teams not turn the ball over and make the offense more productive. Defense has problems beyond x's and o's. Against A&M and Georgia our defensive front has not taken the fight to their offenses. We didn't win those areas. If you don't win up front then next level of defense is 5 yards down the field. Then the offense has the advantage. Our offense did not take advantage of A&M by turnovers. Our offense did not take advantage of Georgia's defense. Our team has under performed the last three games as a whole.

While I see you're point, you missed my entire point. I am not taking three games, I am taking the last FIVE games. Sadly the only comparison over the 122 year history of AU football, there are only 3 game stretches that are as bad. This includes many many terrible seasons overall. While offense and special teams have their place in the argument, over 122 years there have been plenty worse cases of offense and special teams than this year and yet no 4 game stretches of defense this bad, let alone 5. Also, the offense averaged 29 points a game during the 5 game stretch. What's the real problem here?

I do see your point. Think it is a cherry picked point. Take those same five games and record the difference between points allowed and points scored. Take that difference and compare it over a 122 year period and see what you come up with. In that data you will find a better comparison. At the end of season do a comparison and do a yearly evaluation. 5 game sample of a 12 game season of 122 years is cherry picked. To make a defensive stat battle you could take the first 5 games of this season and do a 122 year comparison and the Ellis Pa Paw haters wouldn't like those stats.

Where did he go?

I don't know and don't understand it either. I do think the lack of an edge pass rusher this year made it easier for teams to double team him and other DTs. When you're worried about Dee Ford or Lawson beating you on the edge, you have to devote more blocking resources to those guys, giving Adams and other DTs more one on one matchups.

Adams has been hammered with double teams this year. Q talked about this in pregame show last week. The inability of the rest of the DL to defeat a one on one block has led to Adams being double teamed

I do see your point. Think it is a cherry picked point. Take those same five games and record the difference between points allowed and points scored. Take that difference and compare it over a 122 year period and see what you come up with. In that data you will find a better comparison. At the end of season do a comparison and do a yearly evaluation. 5 game sample of a 12 game season of 122 years is cherry picked. To make a defensive stat battle you could take the first 5 games of this season and do a 122 year comparison and the Ellis Pa Paw haters wouldn't like those stats.

Lol^^ not one time during the uga debacle did I see anyone defend cej while the masses were tearing him a new one, not one. I just sit back and watched it unravel that night, just like I will these next 2 games

Lol^^ not one time during the uga debacle did I see anyone defend cej while the masses were tearing him a new one, not one. I just sit back and watched it unravel that night, just like I will these next 2 games

The A&M game I really do get hammering CEJ and the defense over. The UGA game? Hell, the defense kept us in it until they finally wore down in the 2nd half. Stopped them 4 of their first 5 drives. Stopped them the first drive of the 2nd half. Only 17-7 at halftime and got us the ball with a chance to close to 17-14. And the only reason there was 17? Muffed punt. Roughing the kicker penalty. Otherwise it would have been a tie game.

Did I see poor tackling and bad angles? Yeah. But I also saw a defense making just enough plays to keep us in it. With even a mediocre performance by the offense, that game goes to the wire. If they are anywhere near their normal selves those defensive stops stand up and we win easily.

If we're going to aim criticism, at least have it correlate to the facts of the game in question.

Can't agree with this

Uh oh, your in for it now

not at all. Cole can formulate and defend his own opinion, unlike others. Quit being butthurt that your nearsighted opinions have been exposed.

The A&M game I really do get hammering CEJ and the defense over. The UGA game? Hell, the defense kept us in it until they finally wore down in the 2nd half. Stopped them 4 of their first 5 drives. Stopped them the first drive of the 2nd half. Only 17-7 at halftime and got us the ball with a chance to close to 17-14. And the only reason there was 17? Muffed punt. Roughing the kicker penalty. Otherwise it would have been a tie game.

Did I see poor tackling and bad angles? Yeah. But I also saw a defense making just enough plays to keep us in it. With even a mediocre performance by the offense, that game goes to the wire. If they are anywhere near their normal selves those defensive stops stand up and we win easily.

If we're going to aim criticism, at least have it correlate to the facts of the game in question.

Defense does just enough ~ but when the offense ain't clicking we are up the river without a paddle.

Why don't you mods stop arguing and drop the ban hammer down on folks that just antagonize and keep egging shyte on? You have the authority to end this back 'n forth crap.

I'm just telling what I saw written by the masses of fans on this board that night. Yeah it was a total team stink performance. But the offense should at least get a pass this go around from having to outscore our opponents because of defensive deficiencies in the first half of most of our games. I really don't think no one has a problem with the offense, as a matter of fact the last article I read had something to do with auburn should give muschamp a blank check to come back to AU. Just saying

Can't agree with this

not at all. Cole can formulate and defend his own opinion, unlike others. Quit being butthurt that your nearsighted opinions have been exposed.

Lol I'm not. I just laugh at guys who think they are stronger than the constitution, freedom of speech, thank GOD for it

Can't agree with this

Lol I'm not. I just laugh at guys who think they are stronger than the constitution, freedom of speech, thank GOD for it

We ain't Congress.

Can't agree with this

The Constitution and First Amendment aren't applicable to this website. It's a privately owned message board with its own set of rules that you agree to and are required to adhere to.

Can't agree with this

are you for real? You get your butt handed to you multiple time by multiple people and you run to the I-love-the-constitution-and-you-don't crap? Pathetic. Btw,I laugh at those that try to deflect their inadequacies by hiding behind it.

Can't agree with this

are you for real? You get your butt handed to you multiple time by multiple people and you run to the I-love-the-constitution-and-you-don't crap? Pathetic. Btw,I laugh at those that try to deflect their inadequacies by hiding behind it.

If u say so. Is it inadequate that I'm not the only one laying blame of this thing called defense at the feet of cej? I think not, we can agree to disagree, whether u turn blue in the face it still won't change the fact he has underachieved as a dcoordinator. There are all kinds of articles that proves my point.

Can't agree with this

why? Most, not all, seem to.

I guess it's just too broad for me, or are you saying the players here for us. I've also heard it said that the biggest production jumps is from a guy's first to second year. But I also have heard of sophomores slumps quite a bit....I guess i really don't know one way or the other.

Couple of guys that I know that play for miss st are having pretty big years and they are sophomores though..

I guess after all my rambling maybe the word most in your statement had me thinking the most

War Eagle 6 I don't think it's your stance that are rubbing some the wrong way, you just keep expressing the same thought in many different threads. You are saying the same things and your posting alot so you're bound to get into it with alot of people, even with guys that agree with you.

Archived