Defensive Coordinator Diiscussion

DyeHardAllTheWay

anyone hear about a "non competitive" clause in his buy out contract. Heard this this morning talking to a buddy. I have no idea if that is true or not.

There is rumored to be a clause in Muschamps's Florida contract that says he is not allowed to recruit any players he had previously recruited for Florida. If he has contact he voids his buyout. I interpret that to mean he can't be the lead recruiter, but one of his assistants can.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone give me a summary of the Seastrunk thread? That seems like an odd topic to blow up.

I remember reading it as a non member. I think it was the first high profile playmaker we were getting in a while so he was really popular amongst AU fans. Didn't help when he became very vocal in support of AU. When Dyer commited the whole thing fell apart. That's what I remember. Is that pretty accurate Ellitor?

Things went silent with LS and people wondered why... Lots of speculation... He went to Oregon... Problems with street agents.. Picked up again when he was leaving Oregon and went to Baylor....

Not including anything for recruiting. No way we'd beat those. Don't remember any non recruiting threads that've been deleted that beat this

I would say ask Golf but he can't remember who Will Muschamp is much less what some of the longest AE threads were.

Fair point...

E, you mentioned a few pages ago that staffing hasn't been the hold up.

What has been? Money? Length of contract? Malzahn's wanting to add a swear jar?

There has not been a hold up in AU staff eyes. They always knew it would be mid to late this week. Boom was never going to make a decision while on vacation. Now Houston may have delayed things by a day but still not much of a hold up yet.

Can someone give me a summary of the Seastrunk thread? That seems like an odd topic to blow up.

I remember reading it as a non member. I think it was the first high profile playmaker we were getting in a while so he was really popular amongst AU fans. Didn't help when he became very vocal in support of AU. When Dyer commited the whole thing fell apart. That's what I remember. Is that pretty accurate Ellitor?

Seastrunk rubbed other recruits the wrong way with his attitude (both Dyer and Lattimore). It was all about him rather than the team. He also dissed Saban in a comment and later called him to apologize.

E, you mentioned a few pages ago that staffing hasn't been the hold up.

What has been? Money? Length of contract? Malzahn's wanting to add a swear jar?

There has not been a hold up in AU staff eyes. They always knew it would be mid to late this week. Boom was never going to make a decision while on vacation. Now Houston may have delayed things by a day but still not much of a hold up yet.

Thanks

Joking aside, I really want Muschamp. But I am fully confident that Odum or Clark would be great hires. Those are very good fundamental and x's and o's coaches. I just really want the splash hire.

Im not sold on Odom, simply due to a lack of knowledge.

Clark is a whole different issue. While I have zero doubt he would get our defense fundamentally sound, its his scheme that worries me. It would take a good 2 full recruiting cycles to really see what his defense is capable of. The main problem with that is time. Time that I'm not sure Gus has or wants to take. Plus with Clark, he has already been a head coach. What makes everyone think he would stick around to just be his DC. With the way he got UAB bowl eligible, I presume some smaller schools would be interested in him as head guy.

If Houston was smart Clark is who they would hire. He would make Houston deadly in a little 5 conference and attractive enough for the Big 12 to want them later if they decide to expand.

If WM comes, what are the realistic odds of Rocker coming back?

No clue. That's the one part that seems heavily fabricated rumor. I have not seen a valid AU source comment on that at all. I think the more likely scenarios is Garner stays at DL or Boom brings in his DL coach from Florida, Lawing, and Garner goes to TEs.

I had heard RG to TEs, but I was wondering how reliable the TR rumors were; or, if they were just more wishful thinking.

Boom would definitely try to bring T-Rob.

Joking aside, I really want Muschamp. But I am fully confident that Odum or Clark would be great hires. Those are very good fundamental and x's and o's coaches. I just really want the splash hire.

Clark is a whole different issue. While I have zero doubt he would get our defense fundamentally sound, its his scheme that worries me. It would take a good 2 full recruiting cycles to really see what his defense is capable of. The main problem with that is time. Time that I'm not sure Gus has or wants to take. Plus with Clark, he has already been a head coach. What makes everyone think he would stick around to just be his DC. With the way he got UAB bowl eligible, I presume some smaller schools would be interested in him as head guy.

If Houston was smart Clark is who they would hire. He would make Houston deadly in a little 5 conference and attractive enough for the Big 12 to want them later if they decide to expand.

I agree. I've always liked UH. Clark would be good for them. They may even pull some UAB guys over there.

If WM comes, what are the realistic odds of Rocker coming back?

No clue. That's the one part that seems heavily fabricated rumor. I have not seen a valid AU source comment on that at all. I think the more likely scenarios is Garner stays at DL or Boom brings in his DL coach from Florida, Lawing, and Garner goes to TEs.

I had heard RG to TEs, but I was wondering how reliable the TR rumors were; or, if they were just more wishful thinking.

Boom would definitely try to bring T-Rob.

The question is who else is getting canned off of the current staff?

anyone hear about a "non competitive" clause in his buy out contract. Heard this this morning talking to a buddy. I have no idea if that is true or not.

There is rumored to be a clause in Muschamps's Florida contract that says he is not allowed to recruit any players he had previously recruited for Florida. If he has contact he voids his buyout. I interpret that to mean he can't be the lead recruiter, but one of his assistants can.

I don't think it applies to players we were recruiting before he got here.

None of their guys on D I believe. T-Rob agreed in principle to stay at Florida yesterday but he could still leave for AU if he wanted. Assistants don't have paybacks for leaving like HCs do.

Harbison is gone. The only one safe is Garner.

Yea I was talking about AU staff.

Seastrunk- the most popular AU football player....who was never actually an AU football player. :)

This was exactly my thought.

Harbison is gone. The only one safe is Garner.

Yea I was talking about AU staff.

Ahhh! OK. Meta is spot on as he has been through this thing.

Archived