Premium Seating A Possibility in the JHS Endzones

autigeremt

I've been on here saying for a long time that JJ needs to stop sitting on his hands and agree that J-H needs more seats. We use to be only 2nd to Tenn for having the largest stadium. Now look how far we have fallen. Jordan-Hare should have a capacity of at least 100k by this time. But instead, we are still at 87,451 while other SEC teams have stadiums have grown and left our stadium in the dust.

Why?

just cause that's why

That's as good as anything I've heard so far.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the pleasure of going to a Pats game in November up in Boston. I'm surprised more schools aren't switching to a similar model (a la Baylor). In an area where fans are as rabid about their home team(s) as we are about SEC football, and with millions to play with from an ownership standpoint, that is the nicest 60k seat stadium I've ever been to.

The stadium was very vertical, so there wasn't a bad seat in the place. Premium food and beverage concessions were everywhere. Enormous jumbotrons were located in each end zone. Smaller screens lined the rim of the first tier constantly showing scores and stats. Entering the stadium, you pass an enormous merchandise store that was raking in the profits.

I know that the demand for tickets exceeds the seats in that stadium. I also know that they chose to make the game experience second-to-none. With the increase in ticket prices and cost of travel, combined with the economical nature if large screen TVs, I could easily see a sharp decline in game attendance. So why expand the stadium?

Why expand the stadium? Hmmm

1. It's the best recruiting tool.

2. In spite of large televisions, most of us would rather be there in person.

3. More seats mean more people at the really big games, like the Iron Bowl.

4. More people mean more noise.

5. Even for our "gimme" games, more seats provide opportunities to invite schools, bands, boy scouts, etc.

6. Falling behind bama and the other SEC teams sucks

Why expand the stadium? Hmmm

1. It's the best recruiting tool.

2. In spite of large televisions, most of us would rather be there in person.

3. More seats mean more people at the really big games, like the Iron Bowl.

4. More people mean more noise.

5. Even for our "gimme" games, more seats provide opportunities to invite schools, bands, boy scouts, etc.

6. Falling behind bama and the other SEC teams sucks

more seats do not equate to better recruiting. Recruits look at the facilities they will be working in on a daily basis. You expand when the demand is there.

JHS does not need a boob job, it needs a facelift. And it needs it badly IMO. If seats come in the deal so be it, but JHS looks like a big pile of cold..concrete.

(Does not mean it's not still one of the best places to watch a game in the country)

JHS does not need a boob job, it needs a facelift. And it needs it badly IMO. If seats come in the deal so be it, but JHS looks like a big pile of cold..concrete.

(Does not mean it's not still one of the best places to watch a game in the country)

Very interesting analogy. Conjures up certain images lol

It needs more seats and work done to it.

Prior to this year, AU had sold out 4 of its previous 22 home games. One year of sellouts is an anomaly, not the norm. With that in mind, it makes no financial sense to expand. The only reason to expand is because the PTB feel inadequate in the pants and think that their stadium size really matters.

And can we PLEASE point out just a short list of other prominent programs with stadiums equal to or smaller than ours:

Oklahoma

TCU

Oregon

Baylor

Notre Dame

Michigan State

Florida State

Stanford

You'll notice that on that list alone, two of the schools are in the playoffs and three others are in one of the "New Years Six" games. But let's not let facts get in the way of your argument for expansion.

If we're just talking a facelift (work to the outside, sound system, game clock, maybe a few suites), then I'm 100% on board.

Prior to this year, AU had sold out 4 of its previous 22 home games. One year of sellouts is an anomaly, not the norm. With that in mind, it makes no financial sense to expand. The only reason to expand is because the PTB feel inadequate in the pants and think that their stadium size really matters.

And can we PLEASE point out just a short list of other prominent programs with stadiums equal to or smaller than ours:

Oklahoma

TCU

Oregon

Baylor

Notre Dame

Michigan State

Florida State

Stanford

You'll notice that on that list alone, two of the schools are in the playoffs and three others are in one of the "New Years Six" games. But let's not let facts get in the way of your argument for expansion.

If we're just talking a facelift (work to the outside, sound system, game clock, maybe a few suites), then I'm 100% on board.

But.. but... NONE of them are in the SEC!? WHAAAA!!!!

/s

Oklahoma

TCU

Oregon

Baylor

Notre Dame

Michigan State

Florida State

Stanford

You need to consider who you are responding too here. I've tried with logic and actual facts and it simply doesn't work. He never reads anything posted here. He simply parrots the same crap day after day without any regard to what others have said.

There is only one reason to add any additional general admission seating and even then it would only be in the 2500 range. That is if it made sense on a cost basis to have the seats incorporated into the stadium footprint before the bricking of the exterior, rather than wait till later. Other than that no, but we just need to make a decision on it.

The most important thing right now is to get started on the rest of it. We need the exterior bricking, the jumbotrons, the sound system, the end zone premium seats and any needed plumbing upgrades. Yesterday would not be too soon to get those things completed.

There is only one reason to add any additional general admission seating and even then it would only be in the 2500 range. That is if it made sense on a cost basis to have the seats incorporated into the stadium footprint before the bricking of the exterior, rather than wait till later. Other than that no, but we just need to make a decision on it.

The most important thing right now is to get started on the rest of it. We need the exterior bricking, the jumbotrons, the sound system, the end zone premium seats and any needed plumbing upgrades. Yesterday would not be too soon to get those things completed.

As long as we keep the (now traditional) dysfunctional clock.

As long as we keep the (now traditional) dysfunctional clock.

I didn't mention that one because it is a given but now that you mention it. True, we must keep that 1960's clock for the memories. HAHA

Oklahoma

TCU

Oregon

Baylor

Notre Dame

Michigan State

Florida State

Stanford

I see your point but that span that you're using is basically the (relative) letdown year of 2011 & the disastrous 2012 season. When Auburn is winning we sell out. That said, I'm not saying we need to be at 100,000.

If we fix the sound system I'll be happy. Auburn needs to lower single game ticket prices too. People won't pay 75 bucks to come see the Samford game.

Face value for the Samford game was $45.

photo-4.jpg

I see your point but that span that you're using is basically the (relative) letdown year of 2011 & the disastrous 2012 season. When Auburn is winning we sell out. That said, I'm not saying we need to be at 100,000.

Actually, we generally don't. The athletics dept website used to have a listing of average attendance per year for every year JHS has been open along w/ a percentage of sell outs - there was only 1 year in the stadium's history when all games were sold out - it was in the 40s I believe and it was for only 2 games. Percentage wise, we have been getting progressively better decade by decade. In the 80s when we were so successful, we were selling out around 80-85% of the time, meaning some sellouts for the big games, and mostly full at the other games. The best percentages have been in the last 10-15 years, including the Tuberville era where (if I recall correctly) we were in the 90-95% range. Of course, Auburn expanded JHS all through the 70s and 80s, and the most recent expansion came prior to the 2004 season when they capped the East upper decks. the administration didn't wait until Auburn sold out all of their games for a couple of seasons to justify the expense, they did it to make JHS a first rate facility.

I'm all for improving the aesthetics of JHS. As much as I'd like to see a small scale enlargement, improving the look and quality of what we currently have is and should be #1 on anyone's board or list. At least 4 or 5 of the stadiums Brad ATX listed above are nicer aesthetically than JHS is currently. The quality of the stadium and it's gameday experience is what sells recruits, not the exact number of seats. My hope for an expansion to over 90,000 is really just my selfish desire for symmetry and getting to a nice even number rather than 87,451. Fix the quality of the stadium and its' amenities and then start talking about enlargement. Actually, I'd say, make my game experience worth the $80 or $90 I pay at face value to attend the game before raising ticket prices again.

Adding extra decks, I am good with, but I want them to take into consideration how it contributes to to those not sitting in the suites. I would like to see them designed to add to the crowd noice with overhangs.

I think also, I woulkd like to see a couple of huge jumbo screens aso opposed to four in the corners. What pro team has a monster endzone screen? Jacksonville? How can we do that on both sides?

Edit- in looking at The Jacksonville Jag stadium, We could emulate that endzone with the huge screen they have (largest in the world I believe). I wish I could post pics. And then on the other endzone go with a big upper deck.

So south endzone would get a big facelift with big upper deck... North endzone would get locker room and big pavilion and major Daktron Screen.

If someone could post the pic in this link.... That would be appreciated.

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-PressRelease/Construction-underway-for-EverBank-Field-enhancements/82fe5b4e-be13-445e-9b9b-a09caaee0a08

Adding extra decks, I am good with, but I want them to take into consideration how it contributes to to those not sitting in the suites. I would like to see them designed to add to the crowd noice with overhangs.

I think also, I woulkd like to see a couple of huge jumbo screens aso opposed to four in the corners. What pro team has a monster endzone screen? Jacksonville? How can we do that on both sides?

Edit- in looking at The Jacksonville Jag stadium, We could emulate that endzone with the huge screen they have (largest in the world I believe). I wish I could post pics. And then on the other endzone go with a big upper deck.

So south endzone would get a big facelift with big upper deck... North endzone would get locker room and big pavilion and major Daktron Screen.

If someone could post the pic in this link.... That would be appreciated.

http://www.jaguars.c...9b-a09caaee0a08

No problem

20140310-release.jpg

Archived