Why did Coach Ellis Johnson Fail?

tigeraddikt

Single coverage on Cooper was a downright bad call.

It was a "pick your poison" decision. There are other really good players at bammer, and doubling Cooper just opens the door for someone else. The lack of a pass rush this season really didn't leave much choice as far as the amount of man coverage AU played. Trying to find ways to get that pass rush meant someone who might either drop back into coverage in zone or help out in man was instead trying to find a way to get to the QB. And ya know, I don't care if AU played zone and doubled Cooper too. If you can't get pressure on the QB and give him time to stand back there and pick you apart....the QB is gonna stand back there and pick you apart.

I had high hopes for a lot of the seniors on AU's DL this season. I was counting on that experience to make up for the loss of Lawson. If we'd had great production from the tackles (like Fairley in '10) or ends (Dee Ford last season), things may have been different. But AU didn't get that production. And if the lack of production on the DL is down to coaching...well...EJ wasn't the one coaching the DL.

You don't let the best guy on the other team beat you. You make one of the other guys do it. To not even make the effort to try anything else is just ridiculous.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

let CEJ answer the question for you then.....

"When you're not performing well in so many different areas, you have to start back

at the coach's feet." - CEJ

“You have to say it’s coaching, because if you don’t think it’s coaching, what do you do to correct it?” - Ellis Johnson

"You can't dismiss the fact that I don't think that this is a very well coached team" - Ellis Johnson

"If we've felt like we're doing the right thing, it doesn't matter to me what the results are. That's what we're going to keep doing." - Ellis Johnson

Brother Oliver says hello...

Every time where a new DC comes in, the players always says the same thing..."excited , energized, refreshed " Time will tell what Muschamp can do w / this unit.

Yep. Remember BVG?

All those "fear the stache" t shirts converted into yard work attire.

Sadly yes...but they are also good for waxing your car, if you're into that sort of thing!

My logic is if we're up two possessions make them dink and dunk. Keep everything in front of you and tackle well. Don't give away momentum and don't let them score quick. Cooper scores were scores if we had jj watt on the d line

I think the problem there is that we can't tackle or cover short passes either. I don't agree with one on one with Cooper or anything Johnson did, but Cooper would've more than likely still rip some long plays against us if he could've done it against Hargreaves and the Florida secondary

Why not use the same coverage package that Ole Miss and Arky used against bammer? Seemed to work for them...just sayin.

It was a "pick your poison" decision. There are other really good players at bammer, and doubling Cooper just opens the door for someone else. The lack of a pass rush this season really didn't leave much choice as far as the amount of man coverage AU played. Trying to find ways to get that pass rush meant someone who might either drop back into coverage in zone or help out in man was instead trying to find a way to get to the QB. And ya know, I don't care if AU played zone and doubled Cooper too. If you can't get pressure on the QB and give him time to stand back there and pick you apart....the QB is gonna stand back there and pick you apart.

I had high hopes for a lot of the seniors on AU's DL this season. I was counting on that experience to make up for the loss of Lawson. If we'd had great production from the tackles (like Fairley in '10) or ends (Dee Ford last season), things may have been different. But AU didn't get that production. And if the lack of production on the DL is down to coaching...well...EJ wasn't the one coaching the DL.

You don't let the best guy on the other team beat you. You make one of the other guys do it. To not even make the effort to try anything else is just ridiculous.

^^^This is right on it...^^^

My logic is if we're up two possessions make them dink and dunk. Keep everything in front of you and tackle well. Don't give away momentum and don't let them score quick. Cooper scores were scores if we had jj watt on the d line

I think the problem there is that we can't tackle or cover short passes either. I don't agree with one on one with Cooper or anything Johnson did, but Cooper would've more than likely still rip some long plays against us if he could've done it against Hargreaves and the Florida secondary

He NEVER did beat Hargreaves deep, it was the other db's that he went deep on.

Cooper was allowed to run free off the line of scrimmage without any kind of hard check for much of the night. So not only did EJ not double Cooper but then, after allowing him to get a full head of steam, he apparently thought he could single cover Cooper with a safety several times. He looked like the Roadrunner as he flew past the safety.

Hargreaves got beat a couple of times in that game

It just seems like we're up two possessions in the second half if anything stop big plays and by the end of the game we're up or at least if we're down it's close. Make Simms make some reads to the second and third option try to contain his scrambling and if Stewart and white beat you so be it, they earned it and they stepped up in pressure situations. But you KNOW if you give Cooper the opp opportunity he will beat you, and beat you quick.

Like I said...pick your poison. For me, it doesn't matter who beats you. It only matters that you get beat.

Hargreaves got beat a couple of times in that game

True, but not deep. He was also pushed off a couple of times by cooper, the refs caught cooper doing it on one of them.

Like I said...pick your poison. For me, it doesn't matter who beats you. It only matters that you get beat.

How many teams have you saw white beat? Probably less likely chance of him beating you than the arguably best wr in America beat you.....

No pass rush leading to the back 5 and LBs having to play for to long every single play of the last 6 games.

No pass rush leading to the back 5 and LBs having to play for to long every single play of the last 6 games.

This is more accurate than most will acknowledge. Because we had to use the lbs to get any pressure we opened up huge zones for wrs to run through which also increased the difficulty to cover no matter zone or man coverage.

Because 44 points was not enough to win the Iron Bowl.

Why is this all about the Iron Bowl though? The UGA game was much worse IMO.

The whole team was out of sorts against UGA. They still had a hangover from the A&M game. The beginning of the end was the SC game.

No pass rush

This is the main issue. Our D line really struggled to put any pressure on the opposing QB. When we did, we had to blitz and that open all kinds of passing lanes. Teams just ate us alive in the passing game, which then opened the running game. Then we lost confidence and could not stop anybody from doing anything.

But the straw that broke the camels back was the fact that we scored 44 points against Alabama and lost... by double digits. First time in history we scored that much and lost.

Agree. Lack of pressure from the DL set everything else in motion and I really don't understand it. We lost Lawson but we had a bunch of seniors up front that should have been a team strength. Instead they were the weakness. Adams was the only one bringing any push and pressure and he was inconsistent.

Just like offense, defense starts at the line. Failure by the line is a domino effect on the rest of the defense. Our line was inconsistent. They failed to live up their 4 star ratings. This year will be better with Lawson, but we have to recruit better pass rushers to succeed.

Just like offense, defense starts at the line. Failure by the line is a domino effect on the rest of the defense. Our line was inconsistent. They failed to live up their 4 star ratings. This year will be better with Lawson, but we have to recruit better pass rushers to succeed.

Why didn't the DL live up to their 4-star ratings? It is blasphemy to consider that DL coaching may not be quite up to par.

wde

His scheme was flawed, it's like he was force feeding something that was not working....his defensive play calling in BCS game cost AU the natty IMO .....last play he lines Davis up against Benjamin one on one...Benjamin 6'5 ..Davis 5'10 on a good day...Benjamin should have been doubled and jammed at the line as all know wa crab legs security blanket in the red zone. Also the 4-2-5, takes a true linebacker of the field, and UGA outflanked the DLINE with more blockers and just opened up huge holes....he just did not adjust his philosophy enough, it was not working with the personnel he had...jmho

Archived