Why did Coach Ellis Johnson Fail?

tigeraddikt

It's interesting to see so many frequent posters wax eloquent critiquing CEJ NOW....the same ones that hammered me in September for pointing out obvious flaws in the application of ole Ellis' philosophy and system to the SEC West. Johnson's star system required man on man coverage MOST of the time. To do that in our division, your seconbdary better be first round NFL draft caliber because they'll be covering 1st round WRs most games. Now Ellis was a good recruiter but...he's not THAT good. Flaw #1 but the most obvious of several.

fwiw, nobody's happier than me we got Muschamp but don't expect our fundamentals to be textbook under his leadership. He's all about emotional, reckless D. Which does not mean out of position players which was another CEJ issue.

When, pre-season, I predicated a 9-3 record for this team because the defense was not going to be championship quality, some of our more respected posters gave a big song and dance about how much Johnson's defenses improved from year one to year two. It didn't happen here, did it? There was a modest statistical improvement in the first half of the season, before the contenders rolled into town. Then it was back to giving up 30+ points a game. I don't know if this is entirely on the coaches, some players didn't play with much heart and some simply aren't all that talented but 30+ it was.

With nine seniors that were in the rotation graduating, next season will be an overhaul, personnel wise, at every position except linebacker. An overhaul may not be a bad thing.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What stats Cole? Cause you've got to be kidding if you mean Man on man frequency. Glad you fessed up though because you were one of the blithering idiots I'm talking about that responded to facts and analysis with "you're wrong". Period.

Actually you big dummy you won't find one post where I've ever said you were wrong. Really don't think enough of you to even feel like you're a poster that actually knows football. I was saying that you keep saying muschamp gives up all these big plays and it's feast or famine, and your fundamental bs doesn't have any legs to stand on either. Somebody posted the stats that showed it wasn't true at all. You just keep making this same post 3 times a day everyday wanting to say I told you so. Problem is you're so stupid apparently you don't remember who actually disagreed with you so you now aimlessly run around saying I told you so to people who didn't even respond to you in the first place.

If coaches are really the ones to blame -- and if it all starts up front -- then ......

As in organizations, the CEO takes credit for success, but also takes the fall for the entire executive team's failure.

Muschamp prefers to play man.

If coaches are really the ones to blame -- and if it all starts up front -- then ......

As in organizations, the CEO takes credit for success, but also takes the fall for the entire executive team's failure.

Muschamp prefers to play man.

He prefers to play man but he'll play what the players can execute. He'll vary his defense up as a natural course anyway.

Actually you big dummy you won't find one post where I've ever said you were wrong. Really don't think enough of you to even feel like you're a poster that actually knows football. I was saying that you keep saying muschamp gives up all these big plays and it's feast or famine, and your fundamental bs doesn't have any legs to stand on either. Somebody posted the stats that showed it wasn't true at all. You just keep making this same post 3 times a day everyday wanting to say I told you so. Problem is you're so stupid apparently you don't remember who actually disagreed with you so you now aimlessly run around saying I told you so to people who didn't even respond to you in the first place.

That's going to leave a mark.

That's going to leave a mark.

It was fun to read this and then try to guess who Cole was talking to. Hahaha, awesome.

Just did not have the players. Got to have the Joe's, to execute the x's and o's

Then why could those same players play like a different defense after those famous EJ half time adjustments ? Same players, same opponent, different result in several games this year.

A better defensive coordinator can get better results from the same players.

Better players would have gotten CEJ better results.

I think we're in the process of upgrading both.

I did feel sympathy with him as far as the corners, then he decided to press cover Cooper one on one when we were up two possessions.....I've been happy with the new hire ever since....

I did feel sympathy with him as far as the corners, then he decided to press cover Cooper one on one when we were up two possessions.....I've been happy with the new hire ever since....

One of the most blatantly wrong coaching decisions I've ever seen. Generally speaking, I thought that CEJ was "not terrible" when it came to schemes. But that decision was... pardon the pun... indefensible.

Single coverage on Cooper was a downright bad call.

I don't mind press/man coverage, especially since playing a soft zone was the biggest gripe I had on our secondary for a number of years. The problem with man coverage is that if you don't have a pass-rush, it doesn't matter if you have All-American DBs, given enough time, coverage typically breaks down. I think our secondary takes a huge leap in 2015 if we can improve our pass-rush even nominally

My logic is if we're up two possessions make them dink and dunk. Keep everything in front of you and tackle well. Don't give away momentum and don't let them score quick. Cooper scores were scores if we had jj watt on the d line

His version of the 4-2-5 was going to require consistent play from the DL. Losing Lawson was huge not just because of his potential but the opportunities he would have created for the other 3 DL just by being on the field. In a nutshell, all the issues began up front and carried over to the back-7.

I agree with you, the scheme requires outstanding line play. Having only two linebackers requires the line to keep the OL occupied. Only so many gap fits for two LBs. Notice how many tackles are made by safeties?

It is not a good defense for major college football unless you have a great line and good pass rush.

I prefer a 3-4, but you have to have a special athlete for the outside LB.

Just did not have the players. Got to have the Joe's, to execute the x's and o's

Then why could those same players play like a different defense after those famous EJ half time adjustments ? Same players, same opponent, different result in several games this year.

Other team makes adjustments also.

Yeah but not to the point it's like night and day from one half to the other. Other teams make adjustments DURING the game, not just halftime

My logic is if we're up two possessions make them dink and dunk. Keep everything in front of you and tackle well. Don't give away momentum and don't let them score quick. Cooper scores were scores if we had jj watt on the d line

I think the problem there is that we can't tackle or cover short passes either. I don't agree with one on one with Cooper or anything Johnson did, but Cooper would've more than likely still rip some long plays against us if he could've done it against Hargreaves and the Florida secondary

It was a "pick your poison" decision. There are other really good players at bammer, and doubling Cooper just opens the door for someone else. The lack of a pass rush this season really didn't leave much choice as far as the amount of man coverage AU played. Trying to find ways to get that pass rush meant someone who might either drop back into coverage in zone or help out in man was instead trying to find a way to get to the QB. And ya know, I don't care if AU played zone and doubled Cooper too. If you can't get pressure on the QB and give him time to stand back there and pick you apart....the QB is gonna stand back there and pick you apart.

I had high hopes for a lot of the seniors on AU's DL this season. I was counting on that experience to make up for the loss of Lawson. If we'd had great production from the tackles (like Fairley in '10) or ends (Dee Ford last season), things may have been different. But AU didn't get that production. And if the lack of production on the DL is down to coaching...well...EJ wasn't the one coaching the DL.

Wasn't your point that we do not have the players ? If that was really the case then it would be impossible for them to play in the 2nd half of several games like we do have the players.

It was a "pick your poison" decision. There are other really good players at bammer, and doubling Cooper just opens the door for someone else. The lack of a pass rush this season really didn't leave much choice as far as the amount of man coverage AU played. Trying to find ways to get that pass rush meant someone who might either drop back into coverage in zone or help out in man was instead trying to find a way to get to the QB. And ya know, I don't care if AU played zone and doubled Cooper too. If you can't get pressure on the QB and give him time to stand back there and pick you apart....the QB is gonna stand back there and pick you apart.

I had high hopes for a lot of the seniors on AU's DL this season. I was counting on that experience to make up for the loss of Lawson. If we'd had great production from the tackles (like Fairley in '10) or ends (Dee Ford last season), things may have been different. But AU didn't get that production. And if the lack of production on the DL is down to coaching...well...EJ wasn't the one coaching the DL.

Yes it opens the door for somebody so make somebody else beat you.....since when do you say well somebody else not as good is going to beat us anyway....And when we took the first option from Simms it seemed that he made some questionable decisions....Maybe he makes more, maybe the other guy who has to step up isn't ready for the pressure of the biggest game of the year. Ok playing zone they complete passes but they don't score in 8 seconds giving their team enthusiasm and momentum....

Archived