Charlie Harbison Gone

auburnphan

Best news I've heard all day. He may be a great guy and all, but I saw nothing on the field to make me think that he's a good coach.

This. All of it.

Contrary to popular belief, people can still be good coaches just because they don't succeed at AU. He is a well-respected DB coach and, like everyone said, will have a job soon. The people in Gainesville are saying the same thing about our giddiness over getting CWM. Coaches are thrown into many different situations having to work with many different people with many different philosophies. It doesn't always work out. He wasn't working out at AU, but to those claiming he's an awful coach, well, thanks for providing your (lack of) football knowledge to the board.

He's had middle of the road coach everywhere he's been. You act like we just fire Belichick. As far as philosophies, him and Ellis were supposed to be a match made in heaven.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anybody else see this title and think it was one of Bird's jokes?

Good Luck in your future endeavors Coach Cheese! We appreciate your time here at AU.

Had it been titled "cheese is gone", I wouldn't have even opened it. Been burned one too many times.

Did anybody else see this title and think it was one of Bird's jokes?

Good Luck in your future endeavors Coach Cheese! We appreciate your time here at AU.

Had it been titled "cheese is gone", I wouldn't have even opened it. Been burned one too many times.

Lucky it wasn't titled "Coach Will Muschamp just cuts the cheese."

For those of you who have chosen to ridicule Harbison relentlessly on this board.......you have him to thank for the Kick 6, as it was Cheese that urged Malzahn to send Chris Davis back to field that kick.

Wish Coach Harbison and his family the best!

Link?

I wish the guy luck too, But as I understand it wasnt a good fit from the start. More than 1 player had issues with the guy so Muschamp here or not, it was time to

go. WDE

For those of you who have chosen to ridicule Harbison relentlessly on this board.......you have him to thank for the Kick 6, as it was Cheese that urged Malzahn to send Chris Davis back to field that kick.

Link?

Don't have a link but she's right.

Link?

I remember hearing that right after the game. I think Davis said something to that effect or maybe Gus did but I do remember that.

Nice parachute ...

Auburn is set to pay Harbison $1,187,500 through June 2017 if he does not find work to offset his buyout, which is a yearly salary of $475,000.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/01/auburn_safeties_coach_charlie.html

Painful to read that.

Link?

I remember hearing that right after the game. I think Davis said something to that effect or maybe Gus did but I do remember that.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/feature/24839803/remembering-kick-six

Nice parachute ...

Auburn is set to pay Harbison $1,187,500 through June 2017 if he does not find work to offset his buyout, which is a yearly salary of $475,000.

http://www.al.com/au...ch_charlie.html

Painful to read that.

Well we owe some 2 million to CEJ and now you add this to it. I guess Smith gets the same deal, salary paid through the end of the contract. JJ said that they were in great shape and could handle this fine. It's the nature of the business though. I'd like to see us get all our old coaches paid off and wait a long time before having to pay off anyone else.

I completely understand that when you hire a new Coordinator, that he's going to want his own coaches. I get that. I just hate that Auburn has become a place where your career there won't last more than a couple of years before you are booted out for a bad season. High caliber coaches will eventually become reluctant to put their families through that. Hopefully, the new coaches will get the job done and we will stop being a revolving door.

Valid concern.

However, we know the alternative of what can happen when only a coordinator is brought in and is forced to use a previous staff. It was the Tony Franklin scenario.

Again, I'll ask why wasn't it Fountain's call?

And if I can't say "next", then simply connect the dots. Is that okay?

What do you not understand about a coach making a suggestion on the sideline?

Until he got to AU, Fountain had never coached special teams, at least no where that it is ever mentioned in his resume. He was mainly tight ends/offensive line throughout his career. Its like Gus just stuck him in that role when Bissachia bailed at the last minute. And we lost a lot of impact on ST this year....our Ray Guy finalist punter, field goal kicker, and Chris Davis.

So you are comparing a seasoned vet at his position with a much longer coaching pedigree to a coach who was taking on a unit he had never managed until he was thrown into it at the last minute. That was masked last year by seasoned players on ST, like Clark, Parkey, and Davis.

Harbison didn't just forget how to coach. He's always been a respected secondary coach. He really doesn't deserve the landblasting he's getting. Wish him well and let the man move on. Some one will hire him and Smith.

And, when you have NO pass rush on the line and the defensive line overall performs like it did, it usually does make your secondary look worse.

Until he got to AU, Fountain had never coached special teams, at least no where that it is ever mentioned in his resume. He was mainly tight ends/offensive line throughout his career. Its like Gus just stuck him in that role when Bissachia bailed at the last minute. And we lost a lot of impact on ST this year....our Ray Guy finalist punter, field goal kicker, and Chris Davis.

So you are comparing a seasoned vet at his position with a much longer coaching pedigree to a coach who was taking on a unit he had never managed until he was thrown into it at the last minute. That was masked last year by seasoned players on ST, like Clark, Parkey, and Davis.

Harbison didn't just forget how to coach. He's always been a respected secondary coach. He really doesn't deserve the landblasting he's getting. Wish him well and let the man move on. Some one will hire him and Smith.

And, when you have NO pass rush on the line and the defensive line overall performs like it did, it usually does make your secondary look worse.

That's right and the suggestion that a lot of people are throwing out that we put RG at ST/TE is basically the same thing. He has done TE but has never done ST in his entire career. We're putting out a guy that has done it for one year in favor of one that has never done it.

What do you not understand about a coach making a suggestion on the sideline?

Pretty simple, Fountain was/is the ST coach and nowhere in any discussion was it suggested that he had ANY input in that play. Furthermore, he was well hidden behind the play of Parkey, Clark and Prosch last year and was completely exposed this year without them. Connecting the dots, that phase of the game (for which he is the Coordinator) was every bit as complicit in the unraveling of our season as the Co-DC's. Is that okay?

Seems that some of the worst defensive play in the last year was by the DB's. Sure, they got a few picks to get AU out of jams but all-in-all, pass coverage was poor and angles & tackling by the DB's was even worse. As a human and a Christian, I hate to see anyone lose their job but as a football fan, I believe that the coaching of both Smith & Harbison were major issues with this defense. CEJ's schemes and game-planning may have not been what this team needs, but poor teaching of fundamentals by positions coaches sure didn't help. I am glad for the DB coaching purge....as an AU football fan. But again, with that said, God bless any of those who lose their jobs. Good luck Harbison and Smith.

He really doesn't deserve the landblasting he's getting.

Landblasting? :dunno:/>

That puzzled me as well. No one deserves to have their land blasted, its their land, for crying out loud.

My wife didn't think I "blasted" the Turkey often enough @ Christmas...........

Archived