LSU hires Orgeron to coach DL

RunInRed

Lots of schools disappointed in their defense this past season....some serious shake-ups going on in an effort to figure out how to stop the Gus Bus and other versions of it.

DCs will be on the hot seat all over the SEC this coming season.....again.

Wow they aren't joking about their D either with Chavis leaving.... I agree with cooltigger they needed an offensive mind more than a defensive. The Aggies could have used Orgeron badly. I am glad LSU picked him up rather than Bama though after two of their LB coaches left.

Kevin Steele was an awful hire, but Orgeron feels like the perfect fit. That guy was made in a lab to coach defensive linemen in Baton Rouge, right? He's a crazy cajun's crazy cajun.

Wow they aren't joking about their D either with Chavis leaving.... I agree with cooltigger they needed an offensive mind more than a defensive. The Aggies could have used Orgeron badly. I am glad LSU picked him up rather than Bama though after two of their LB coaches left.

lots of shuffling within the SEC the last couple years. Well known coaches changing jobs within the SEC...don't think that has been the pattern in the past has it?

Kevin Steele was an awful hire, but Orgeron feels like the perfect fit. That guy was made in a lab to coach defensive linemen in Baton Rouge, right? He's a crazy cajun's crazy cajun.

Agree. Steele was a bad hire, but Yaw Yaw is a very, very good one. He may have been a bad HC, but he has always been a very good DL coach and exceptional recruiter. He probably would make a decent DC as well. This takes a lot of the Steele hire screw up away for LSU.

wde

Agree. Steele was a bad hire, but Yaw Yaw is a very, very good one. He may have been a bad HC, but he has always been a very good DL coach and exceptional recruiter. He probably would make a decent DC as well. This takes a lot of the Steele hire screw up away for LSU.

wde

I don't think it takes the Steele hire away, because they still have to deal with his effed up defense.

Don't think we will know what kind of hire Steele is for a while.

Nicky gets all the credit when the D looks great ....but then when some folks like Gus and Urban and a few others rip 'em up, the underlings get the blame.

Don't think we will know what kind of hire Steele is for a while.

Nicky gets all the credit when the D looks great ....but then when some folks like Gus and Urban and a few others rip 'em up, the underlings get the blame.

That usually happens at most programs, doesn't it? Heads have to roll when certain units don't meet expectations - the head coach is solid while the coord's & position coaches get fruit basket turnover. Then if things continue to look rough with the new coaches, and expectations aren't met the HC finally gets the boot.

Les Miles has run through quite a few OC's over the years, Chavis was a staple of that team. It's all on Les now to get his talent to better than 8 wins.

Great take. And with Les Miles for a boss, no less.

I will not say "I told you so", but I will not be surprised if there is a story about ritual animal sacrifice somewhere in the LSU athletic facilities before 2015 is over.

...Orgeron feels like the perfect fit. That guy was made in a lab to coach defensive linemen in Baton Rouge, right? He's a crazy cajun's crazy cajun.

I agree with the premise (From LA, coached high school there, kids go to school at LSU), but this seems like a typical Les Miles decision from the hip. Almost a sympathy hire. How much better can they recruit? It could blow up, but then again any hire has that potential. I would guess it takes a lot of humility to go from HC (Ole Miss) to DC (for rock star Kiffin) to DL coach. It was reported that he basically made a play for the HC job at USC and Haden didn't acquiesce. I guess when you find out your not irreplaceable and are out of work for a year and nobody sees the value that you believe you bring...yeah that would probably humble most people.

...Orgeron feels like the perfect fit. That guy was made in a lab to coach defensive linemen in Baton Rouge, right? He's a crazy cajun's crazy cajun.

I agree with the premise (From LA, coached high school there, kids go to school at LSU), but this seems like a typical Les Miles decision from the hip. Almost a sympathy hire. How much better can they recruit? It could blow up, but then again any hire has that potential. I would guess it takes a lot of humility to go from HC (Ole Miss) to DC (for rock star Kiffin) to DL coach. It was reported that he basically made a play for the HC job at USC and Haden didn't acquiesce. I guess when you find out your not irreplaceable and are out of work for a year and nobody sees the value that you believe you bring...yeah that would probably humble most people.

USC offered him the DC slot but he felt insulted and walked off in a huff.

I give some credit for principle in the USCw situation...he rescued Kiffen's last 1/2 season and did not get what he expected. Granted he was not the persona that the USCw imagine of themselves so I guess that's just the way life works out. But I don't see this as any kind of sympathy hire.....and he is the right kind of guy IMO to take on the LSU recruiting for that part of the country.

I give some credit for principle in the USCw situation...he rescued Kiffen's last 1/2 season and did not get what he expected. Granted he was not the persona that the USCw imagine of themselves so I guess that's just the way life works out. But I don't see this as any kind of sympathy hire.....and he is the right kind of guy IMO to take on the LSU recruiting for that part of the country.

It was a no brainer for Oregeron - he's got a couple of kids in school at LSU, he's back home again in his part of the country and he knows the recruiting area like no other.

It was a no brainer for Oregeron - he's got a couple of kids in school at LSU, he's back home again in his part of the country and he knows the recruiting area like no other.

And the guy can coach the way he recruits! Great pick up for les, he WILL need it!

Archived