State Dept. Bungles Another One?

Proud Tiger

Depending on who you believe, the evacuation of the U.S. Embassy in Yemen last week was either a frantic exodus that exposed sensitive U.S. secrets or an orderly departure reflecting a “high level of professionalism.”

Those are the two narratives emerging after a Fox News story published on Wednesday accused the administration of exposing “sensitive information” by failing to shut down the embassy’s main communication link with Washington before exiting the compound.

On Friday, a State Department official told Foreign Policy that the report is “erroneous and grossly exaggerated.”

Citing internal emails, the Fox News report described “panic” inside the embassy as U.S. officials made a “hasty” exit on Feb. 11. It also claimed that U.S. officials evacuated without shutting down a declassified email and data system known as OpenNet.

OpenNet, used by a wide swath of State Department employees, is the portal that rank and file use to surf the web, check email or scan their Facebook newsfeed: It does not contain classified information, but does host some internal communications.

The report cited former military intelligence officer Tony Shaffer, who raised concerns about how terrorists could use OpenNet against the United States. “If they are able to exploit it, that is, say break it open and potentially analyze it and categorize it, this will give them a great deal of information about how U.S. embassies function,” he said.

The report gained wide pickup on conservative websites such as theBreitbart, Newsmax and the Washington Times.

On Wednesday, John Bolton, the former ambassador to the United Nations, who is considering a run for the presidency in 2016, said he was “stunned at the kind of chaos we saw” in the report. “I think she’s uncovered a real problem,” he said, referring to Fox News reporter Catherine Herridge.

The only problem, according to a State Department official, is that the U.S. did cut off the link during a calm and orderly evacuation — and no information was put at risk. “Our messaging systems as well as the exchange servers on the OpenNet system were cut as part of the evacuation procedure,” said the official. “All classified information was secured and/or destroyed.”

The official noted that the State Department currently has Yemeni security forces guarding the exterior of the embassy and hired local security forces standing guard inside the compound. In contrast with the report, he also described the departure environment as calm and orderly.

“There was no sense of panic before or during the departure,” the official added. “The departure was handled in a seasoned and deliberate way, reflecting the high level of professionalism of the diplomatic, military, and other personnel assigned to Sanaa.”

Fox News did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2015/02/20/state-dept-official-fox-news-report-on-yemen-evacuation-erroneous/?utm_content=bufferbe471&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the same DoS that did every thing humanly possible to whitewash BenGhazi

. I wonder how they explain the Marines having to leave some weapons behind and destroy others at the airport. as some reports have said.

Well dang, as long as an unnamed official said everything was taken care of, I guess that settles it !

This is the same DoS that did every thing humanly possible to whitewash BenGhazi

. I wonder how they explain the Marines having to leave some weapons behind and destroy others at the airport. as some reports have said.

No operational weapons were left behind. They were destroyed.

That's my point. Marines never do this unless there are some very unusual circumstances. Some reports say they took firing pins out o their guns at the airport and smashed them with hammers. I may be mistaken but I don't think they would have done this if they were being evacuated by military aircraft.

It's my understanding that Marines never leave their weapons behind unless there are very unusual circumstances, which seem to be the case here. I may be mistaken but I don't think they would have destroyed their guns at the AP if they were being evacuate on a military plane.That seems to be part of the controversy. But as you say there are conflicting stories about the whole thing.

It's my understanding that Marines never leave their weapons behind unless there are very unusual circumstances, which seem to be the case here. I may be mistaken but I don't think they would have destroyed their guns at the AP if they were being evacuate on a military plane.That seems to be part of the controversy. But as you say there are conflicting stories about the whole thing.

STOP ACCUSING MARINES OF WAR CRIMES ! HOW DARE YOU !!!!!

:realmad:

I thought Round 15 was over ;D

Seriously, any crimes committed here were by the DoS IMHO. Sure wasn't by the Marines. I'm just glad no one was hurt in the apparent chaos.

It's their country, they make the rules.

You're up next :clap:

This old dude going to bed. We have snow on the ground and now sleet coming down on top of it. Good sleeping weather.

Not sure I understand the furor over the weapons. The real concern is our crack foreign policy team botched another entire nation...what you do as yet another nation collapses around you is like trying to separate the fly s*** from the pepper...

jt....the only reason for the discussion about weapons is that Marines are told in Basic 101 it is no no to leave your weapon behind. At least that is what I have been told .I guess extenuating circumstances, such as the chaos in this case, changes things. In any event I DON"T fault the Marines but the poor planning/execution by the DoS or the WH.

And as you say they botched another whole country while Obama was praising Yemen as a good example of things working.

Archived