2017 5* OT Calvin Ashley Transfers from AU

RunInRed

This was just from monday night. 

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This won't be over until Feb 1.  Something has happened but Auburn has more resources.  I'll be surprised if he is not back in the fold after the misunderstanding (whatever it is) is resolved.  I think complacency is a problem with long time commits. Competition programs don't expend their time until the 11th hour.   I hope our staff was prepared for the fight. Wouldn't be surprised if something similar occurs with Gatewood next year.

1 minute ago, autan said:

This won't be over until Feb 1.  Something has happened but Auburn has more resources.  I'll be surprised if he is not back in the fold after the misunderstanding (whatever it is) is resolved.  I think complacency is a problem with long time commits. Competition programs don't expend their time until the 11th hour.   I hope our staff was prepared for the fight. Wouldn't be surprised if something similar occurs with Gatewood next year.

This could just be the very first "Planking" By Maryland and Under Armour CEO Kevin Plank to try and be serious about football. I mean it was strange when he moved to DC.

I am a little confused some very current quotes from Recruit (Ashley) that he is all Auburn.   Then somebody WarDamEagle (who usually has very good sources) says he has a gut feeling something is happening with Ashley and WDE admits that it is not from one of his sources and this board is panicking that Ashley is going to De-commit.  Is there anything substantive that makes us think we may lose Ashley or is this the normal board meltdown a few weeks before actual signing day?

13 minutes ago, autan said:

AU has not been complacent at all. As WDE has said they have recruited him hard as heck just to hold on to him.

1 minute ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I am a little confused some very current quotes from Recruit (Ashley) that he is all Auburn.   Then somebody WarDamEagle (who usually has very good sources) says he has a gut feeling something is happening with Ashley and WDE admits that it is not from one of his sources and this board is panicking that Ashley is going to De-commit.  Is there anything substantive that makes us think we may lose Ashley or is this the normal board meltdown a few weeks before actual signing day?

report out there from a pay site from the maryland people.

13 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

This could just be the very first "Planking" By Maryland and Under Armour CEO Kevin Plank to try and be serious about football. I mean it was strange when he moved to DC.

Yeah and his whole immediate family lives there now.

5 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

As stated 3 times (4 now), Maryland's 247 site is reporting it will happen. That does not mean it will but that's where today's concern comes from.

Just now, ellitor said:

For the 3rd time today, Maryland's 247 site is reporting it will happen. That does not mean it will but that's where today's concern comes from.

they have been confident for awhile. not this bold but there has been a lot of talk about ashley and confidence from their site for awhile. I know I never thought anything of it. We just did not pay attention enough to it because LOL Maryland.

43 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I've been around recruiting for 20 years. I mean in the trenches. And I can tell when something is off. AU should not have to put the effort into Ashley like they are right now if everything was good. And when kids are on the fence like this, usually isn't good for the school who the kid is comitted to. 

A comitted kid would want the school to move on to other kids. 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Dont think Plank is going to get involved with anything recruiting for Maryland. UA is huge but isn't Nike. 

22 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I've been around recruiting for 20 years. I mean in the trenches. And I can tell when something is off. AU should not have to put the effort into Ashley like they are right now if everything was good. And when kids are on the fence like this, usually isn't good for the school who the kid is comitted to. 

well whats the problem you think? I absolutely believe you because it seems we continually have to re recruit the kid and get him back in our corner. I mean it is maryland for goodness sakes. Its not like many that thought that FSU would make a strong push for him down the stretch right after he committed to us. This is ridiculous after almost 2 years this close to the finish line and he is not all in.

rough start to the mans birthday for his would be position coach.

21 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Thanks I usually trust what you say but maybe because of my poor reading skills or because I missed a couple of responses I was confused as to why you were concerned. E and a few others have brought me up to snuff.

Ha. I think he's one of the three most important players in this class (with Moultry and Stidham in whatever order you like), but give me a break. No freshman is going to make or break this team, even one that is expected to compete for a starting job.

I would hope a coaches job would never depend on the commit from a high school kid. People would be fired left and right

14 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Can I get a PM?

If we lose out on CA the countdown is on for both Gus AND JJ.

Such a joke you are. People have made a lot of criticisms against Gus on this board. Some valid, some not. Criticizing him for his recruiting would be one of those nonvalid arguments. Gus has gotten us a top ten recruiting class virtually every year he has been head coach, except for maybe his first year when Chizik's firing caused a complete dumpster fire.

^I can understand your argument (our 2013 class was in the top 10). But it is a major cause for concern if this is happening.

4 minutes ago, AUwent said:

^I can understand your argument (our 2013 class was in the top 10). But it is a major cause for concern if this is happening.

Assuming CA decommits, which looks like a very real possibility, this doesn't give me any concern whatsoever about Gus's recruiting as  a whole. It is more than reasonable for a kid to want to play close to home so that his family can attend all of his home games. Now, if we start having a couple of years with recruiting classes not ranked in the top ten, I will start to be more concerned.

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Not trying to be too smart, but why is it a cause for major concern. If we have someone de-committ then it happens. We can't over react every time something that happens, what you're suggesting smacks of throwing the baby out with the bath water philosophy. Not to mention letting the tail wag the dog, there will always be players who want to play for AU and we will just move on to another person to take his place. Is it bad? yes it is, but step back from the ledge long enough to get some perspective on the situation.

27 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Can I get a PM?

For what info? Everything we know right now is in this thread.

Archived