2017 5* OT Calvin Ashley Transfers from AU

RunInRed

@TexasTiger I think Ashley looks like a plug and play tackle on a team with one tackle graduating, one tackle that actually fits better inside or on the right side., and the best option is probably a converted DL with limited football experience. This is a perfect storm for him to play right away.  

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

@WarDamnEagleWDE you really don't think uat would process an underarmour all American would you? 

Being a UA All-American has little or nothing to do with it. Benton, I'm told by real good football people, is as over ranked as they come and if uat can land a LBer better, Benton will be shown the door. 

14 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

@TexasTiger I think Ashley looks like a plug and play tackle on a team with one tackle graduating, one tackle that actually fits better inside or on the right side., and the best option is probably a converted DL with limited football experience. This is a perfect storm for him to play right away.  

I'm told AU is counting on Ashley playing day one at one of the OT positions. 

9 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Being a UA All-American has little or nothing to do with it. Benton, I'm told by real good football people, is as over ranked as they come and if uat can land a LBer better, Benton will be shown the door. 

I've been saying this for a year. He had an abismal Jr year. Averaging less than 4 tackles a game does not cut it for a highly ranked LB recruit.

When we had our full LB list, prior to any commitments, I had Benton near the bottom of the list of potential targets among Moultry, Britt, Wooten, Benton, Ignont, and Rice. Personally, I think we took the three best players on that list, and I'd have Taylor ahead of at least two of the guys we "missed." 

As for Ashley, he's just an advanced guy both physically and technically. He's the same type of prospect as Marcus McNeil, more advanced than Lee Ziemba, and he's walking into similar a similar roster. The skill set and the roster opportunities were the reason both of those guys started as true freshmen.

1 hour ago, milehighfan said:

Good news. I just read where Ashley said his commitment to Auburn is stronger than ever. WHOOPS HOT DAMN TIJUANA!

link...............................j/kj/k

I only caught a few plays in the Under Armour game. How did Ashley play in that game?

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I only caught a few plays in the Under Armour game. How did Ashley play in that game?

Looks like most of us didn't watch the game. lol

I got the infornation from a story on al.com's Auburn football page. The story was on Auburn commits and targets who took part in the U/A game. It was in a tweet the story posted.

I saw the beginning. Ashley was playing Guard. He looked pretty good. He's a mountain and pretty quick for a guy that size. I didn't see a lot of pass pro, which is really the only question for him next year. If he can do it, he'll start at Tackle. If not, he probably won't. He looks like a mean run blocker though.

7 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Don't have a good feeling about this one. Haven't for a while. 

You used to say the s*** about KJ. If you have real information, PM me and tell me how cool I am after giving the information.

?

24 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

You used to say the s*** about KJ. If you have real information, PM me and tell me how cool I am after giving the information.

?

I said that the REC was doing all it could to flip KJ. 

17 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I said that the REC was doing all it could to flip KJ. 

And you kept bellyaching that you didn't feel good about it. I remember it clear as day because I remember your information contradicted 23's info. 

8 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

And you kept bellyaching that you didn't feel good about it. I remember it clear as day because I remember your information contradicted 23's info. 

Had good reason to feel bad about that situation. 9 times out of 10 the kid flips. 

1 hour ago, fredst said:

And, hoping it's just the Auburn in you making you feel that way, lol.

Well that's happened before. lol

1 hour ago, tigerfangs said:

No info? you have a gut feeling? Wow, you know something or you need to play powerball more bc everything he has said was AU.

You know, every time I worry that I'm the Debbie Downer of this board, I look to him to confirm I'm not.

Archived