AU will not claim any more national titles

ellitor

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really doesn't bother me one way or another.

That's about where I'm at in the situation. Like who cares? We claim them and what? We get a couple banners around the stadium? Shirts made? Woo Hoo.

Some people do care... Consider me one of them. Don't completely dismiss one side just because you agree with it and others don't .

Jay Jacobs saying that we consider ourselves champions in 83 but will not claim it really rubs me raw. Either we are champions or we are not.

I'll tell you why this bothers me...

I don't really care how many MNCs AU has. (That's not entirely true. I want AU to win every game every year.) In my lifetime, AU has been the most exciting football team to watch, period.

What has me perturbed is that JJ decided to put the subject to bed in a way that takes away from AU.

Whereas people have debated the # of MNCs AU has for decades, now AU is on the record as saying it will not claim them. Now, it will be really hard to go back and claim them at a later date if AU wanted.

I'd be willing to bet some Gump has already edited Wikipedia... etc. etc. etc.

The 04 team to me was the team that truly helped bring about a playoff, even though it took many years later. Seemed like after that year it was very obvious to everyone that a change was needed. This is just my opinion, but to me if the 04 team got recognized then it would take a little away, since they were the team that really helped put the need for a college playoff in the spot light. I see both sides though. If we claim them then that is one less thing we get to hold over Bama's head and we would be no different from them. Remember the reason they did it was "trying to make Alabama football look the best it could look". Is that really a need at this time for Auburn Football? It was the early 80's when Wayne Atcheson did it for Bama and it is still a topic of debate to this day and always will be. On the flip side of the coin only having 2 NC when everyone else claims so many does look bad from a perception stand point, and for a lot of recruits its all about perception. So claim them ..... don't claim them..... doesn't matter to me. Just remember folks "If you're not first you're last"

Public pressure, gets media announcements, gets committees, gets studies, byes more time, relieves pressure, allows weak leadership to not make a tough decision, maintains the status quo. Politics and par for the course.

A terrible way for JJ to handle all this by making it a public spectacle and a terrible decision at the end. A decision that is not supported by the vast majority of Auburn fans. Very disappointing to say the least.

Amen! :bow:

I find Jacobs decision making processes regarding Auburn baffling ~ what purpose is served by making this public? The man has the backbone of a chocolate eclair and he looks like a damn boob.

I'll tell you why this bothers me...

I don't really care how many MNCs AU has. (That's not entirely true. I want AU to win every game every year.) In my lifetime, AU has been the most exciting football team to watch, period.

What has me perturbed is that JJ decided to put the subject to bed in a way that takes away from AU.

Whereas people have debated the # of MNCs AU has for decades, now AU is on the record as saying it will not claim them. Now, it will be really hard to go back and claim them at a later date if AU wanted.

I'd be willing to bet some Gump has already edited Wikipedia... etc. etc. etc.

Just another example of Jacobs lack of any spine at all! It would have taken just a-little back bone (not much) to easily justify these rightfully earned and much deserved national titles.

The way he announced and his terrible explanation of this is the worst PR move since his complete silence and lack of support in 2010 with the made-up Cam situation.

Again, Jay should have never been hired in the first place, and at times (such as this decision) he struggles with his on the job training!

Perhaps folks closer to the AD can correct me, but now seems an odd time to criticize Jacobs's overall job.

-Malzahn

-Pearl

-Muschamp

-2013 BCSCG appearance, most likely a preseason consensus top 10

-Baseball going to NCAA Regional for first time in 5 years

-Softball going to WCWS and looking to secure their coach until he retires

-Mens hoops got a perfect APR. So did 10 other sports, including 7 of 8 womens sports

Again, I stand to be corrected. But it seems to me like Jacobs is doing a hell of a job. Also, declining to retroactively claim titles could be seen to require as much "spine" as it would have to claim them, IMO.

I support the decision but would have made less of an announcement about it. Would you really go buy a t shirt anyway? Would that not feel cheap?

I support the decision but would have made less of an announcement about it. Would you really go buy a t shirt anyway? Would that not feel cheap?

I'm with you, I wouldn't. But I think that would be a decision made with future generations in mind. My 6 month old would grow up never knowing an Auburn that didn't have <x> titles. And I would never correct her.

Also, I have friends who are educated, reasonable Alabama fans. They don't go around trumpeting the "Got 15?" nonsense, but they're not exactly upset that they have the option of claiming 15, either.

That's about where I'm at in the situation. Like who cares? We claim them and what? We get a couple banners around the stadium? Shirts made? Woo Hoo.

Some people do care... Consider me one of them. Don't completely dismiss one side just because you agree with it and others don't .

Jay Jacobs saying that we consider ourselves champions in 83 but will not claim it really rubs me raw. Either we are champions or we are not.

Who is dismissing one side? Never once did I say that people can't feel differently then me. Pretty sure I'm allowed to give my opinion on a FORUM, just like you are. So why don't you get off my ass.

1983 will always be a National Championship in my eyes. No argument can be made based on the facts.

Who is dismissing one side? Never once did I say that people can't feel differently then me. Pretty sure I'm allowed to give my opinion on a FORUM, just like you are. So why don't you get off my ass.

You said, "who cares?" Plenty of people care you just don't realize it. I consider "who cares" as very dismissive.....

BTW I'm not on your ass. Quit getting butthurt over me expressing my opinion to you. If you never said it, and another person did, I would have the same response to him or her.

Perhaps folks closer to the AD can correct me, but now seems an odd time to criticize Jacobs's overall job.

-Malzahn

-Pearl

-Muschamp

-Mens hoops got a perfect APR. So did 10 other sports, including 7 of 8 womens sports

Again, I stand to be corrected. But it seems to me like Jacobs is doing a hell of a job. Also, declining to retroactively claim titles could be seen to require as much "spine" as it would have to claim them, IMO.

Not sure where you were the past decade and more under Jacobs starting with running-off of Coach Marsh then proceding to the worst single season football record in AU history! I could go on and on but I'll let you do the research.

The hires you speak of came after years of poor decisions and mis-fires in all AD programs with equestrian probably being the one exception. Jacobs was then known as a dead man walking complete with signs posted on campus reading:'"Fire Jay Jacobs"

Not long after that the Boosters and BOT that control Jacobs (Jay, Jay is a friend) opened the check books that allowed for the current hires.

Gus being kind of an exception, as a committee was formed to interview and hire Malzone, so if the hire was a bust Jacobs couldn't be to blame.

-Malzahn

-Pearl

-Muschamp

Not sure where you were the past decade and more under Jacobs starting with running Marah off

then proceding to the worst single season football record in AU history! I could go on and on but if you haven't gotten it you probably won't get it.

The hires you speak of came after years of poor decisions and miss fires in all AD programs with equestrIon probably being the one exception. Jacobs was then known as a dead man walking complete with signs posted on cMpus

reading:'"Fire Jay Jacobs". Not long after that the Boosters and BOT that control

Jacobs opened the ck books that allowed for the hires.

Gus being kind of a exception as a committee was formed to interview and hire

Malzone so if the hire was a bust Jacobs couldn't be to blame.

So the Athletic Director, AKA Jay Jacobs, can't be thanked for all the incredible hires that have gone on over the last three years? Or rather we should be thanking the BOT and boosters for the hires? Is that what you're implying? Interesting. If not, can you explain yourself more? Because it seems like while you're blaming Jay Jacobs for all the crap that went on before Malzahn, he can't be thanked for all the good he's done for the university over the last three years.

-Malzahn

-Pearl

-Muschamp

Not sure where you were the past decade and more under Jacobs starting with running Marah off

then proceding to the worst single season football record in AU history! I could go on and on but if you haven't gotten it you probably won't get it.

The hires you speak of came after years of poor decisions and miss fires in all AD programs with equestrIon probably being the one exception. Jacobs was then known as a dead man walking complete with signs posted on cMpus

reading:'"Fire Jay Jacobs". Not long after that the Boosters and BOT that control

Jacobs opened the ck books that allowed for the hires.

Gus being kind of a exception as a committee was formed to interview and hire

Malzone so if the hire was a bust Jacobs couldn't be to blame.

So the Athletic Director, AKA Jay Jacobs, can't be thanked for all the incredible hires that have gone on over the last three years? Or rather we should be thanking the BOT and boosters for the hires? Is that what you're implying? Interesting. If not, can you explain yourself more? Because it seems like while you're blaming Jay Jacobs for all the crap that went on before Malzahn, he can't be thanked for all the good he's done for the university over the last three years.

You can read and research the recent AD history and have your own opinion. I can do the same.

-Malzahn

-Pearl

-Muschamp

Not sure where you were the past decade and more under Jacobs starting with running-off of Coach Marsh then proceding to the worst single season football record in AU history! I could go on and on but I'll let you do the research.
Unless you were in the room and privy to the dialogue that took place between Jacobs and Marsh, you have no way of knowing why Marsh left. To jump to a conclusion that Jacobs ran him off sounds like something you are using to justify your hatred of Jacobs and have no facts to support it. As far as the single worse season, it was just that...ONE SEASON. A change was made immediately after that season and besides, it wasn't jacobs fault in the least that 2012 happened. It was a disconnect in the coaching staff that trickled down to the players. Blaming the AD for that is ludicrous.
The hires you speak of came after years of poor decisions and mis-fires in all AD programs with equestrian probably being the one exception. Jacobs was then known as a dead man walking complete with signs posted on campus reading:'"Fire Jay Jacobs"
No everything anybody does is going to be perfect. Some times things don't work out like you hope they would. I guarantee that you aren't perfect in everything you do either.
Not long after that the Boosters and BOT that control Jacobs (Jay, Jay is a friend) opened the check books that allowed for the current hires.
That's totally ridiculous and ill informed. Clearly you haven't been following college athletics much lately. The check books have been opened for quite some time now at Auburn and every other premier program in the country. Again, sometimes things don't work out. It happens.
Gus being kind of an exception, as a committee was formed to interview and hire Malzone, so if the hire was a bust Jacobs couldn't be to blame.

Well, first his name is spelled Malzahn. 2nd. All the committee did was RECOMMEND a hire. The committee didn't actually make the hire as they don't have that authority. Jacobs and likely to some extent Dr. Gogue still had the final say of who was going to be hired.

-Malzahn

-Pearl

-Muschamp

Unless you were in the room and privy to the dialogue that took place between Jacobs and Marsh, you have no way of knowing why Marsh left. To jump to a conclusion that Jacobs ran him off sounds like something you are using to justify your hatred of Jacobs and have no facts to support it. As far as the single worse season, it was just that...ONE SEASON. A change was made immediately after that season and besides, it wasn't jacobs fault in the least that 2012 happened. It was a disconnect in the coaching staff that trickled down to the players. Blaming the AD for that is ludicrous.
No everything anybody does is going to be perfect. Some times things don't work out like you hope they would. I guarantee that you aren't perfect in everything you do either.
That's totally ridiculous and ill informed. Clearly you haven't been following college athletics much lately. The check books have been opened for quite some time now at Auburn and every other premier program in the country. Again, sometimes things don't work out. It happens.

Well, first his name is spelled Malzahn. 2nd. All the committee did was RECOMMEND a hire. The committee didn't actually make the hire as they don't have that authority. Jacobs and likely to some extent Dr. Gogue still had the final say of who was going to be hired.

I see what you are saying: You disagree with me. Lol

I will admit to being wrong many times, and expect to be wrong many more times before I am done, but the only evidence I have seen of my being wrong about the 1983/1993/2004 Nattys is one post saying that we had more votes than anyone else, including from the New York Times. So does that mean that the New York Times declared Auburn to be the National Champions? I certainly do not remember ANY legitimate organization declaring Auburn as champions in that year or in the other years mentioned. I COMPLETELY agree that we were the best team in the country in 1983, but I still don't think that we won a national championship.

This ^^ Jacobs felt pressure, from whom I don't know - but he felt the need to address it publically and form a committee to tackle the idea and see what the mood of the fanbase would be......

Jay Jacobs needs to go back and read the history of Auburn football. He said the reason Auburn won't claim the 1993 championship is because they were on probation. Hey Jay, 1 of the 2 national championships you will caim was in 1957 when Auburn was "oh my" on PROBATION. Now tell us again Jay why you WILL NOT claim the 93 team and other national championships the Tigers have earned down through the years.

Don't Just Say It. Claim It.

1900, 1904, 1910, 1913, 1914, 1919, 1932, 1957, 1958, 1983, 1993, 2004, 2010

Even though Jacobs has been AD for 11 years, he's only hired 1 coach that won a NC and we all know if it wasn't for Cam and Gus, AU would not have won that SEC or national championship in 2010. Oh yeah, lets remember JJ hired a head coach who went 5-19 in 2 years at Iowa State.

Don't Just Say It. Claim It.

1900, 1904, 1910, 1913, 1914, 1919, 1932, 1957, 1958, 1983, 1993, 2004, 2010

Jay Jacobs needs to go back and read the history of Auburn football. He said the reason Auburn won't claim the 1993 championship is because they were on probation. Hey Jay, 1 of the 2 national championships you will caim was in 1957 when Auburn was "oh my" on PROBATION. Now tell us again Jay why you WILL NOT the 93 team and other national championships the Tigers have earned down through the years.

Because Auburn was named NC by one of the two selectors Auburn goes by. The AP and the Coaches Poll. Me personally I'm glad we have set guidelines we go by, and not just have claims to MNC that a dozen or so other schools claim as well. Does it appear we got hosed in '83? Well yea. Did we come out on top in the 2 major polls? Nope. It is what it is. Until last year it's all been a popularity contest anyway. Any other year you would have seen uat and FSU for the BCSMNC. And as it turns out neither would have been deserving. I know I wouldn't get any more sense of pride in my University if they decided to claim things over 100 years old.

Tiger fans everwhere who really cares about the history of Auburn football, they will claim ALL the national championships that the Auburn Tigers have won dating back from 1900 to 2010.

I will admit to being wrong many times, and expect to be wrong many more times before I am done, but the only evidence I have seen of my being wrong about the 1983/1993/2004 Nattys is one post saying that we had more votes than anyone else, including from the New York Times. So does that mean that the New York Times declared Auburn to be the National Champions? I certainly do not remember ANY legitimate organization declaring Auburn as champions in that year or in the other years mentioned. I COMPLETELY agree that we were the best team in the country in 1983, but I still don't think that we won a national championship.

I do...because of how we were robbed of it. But that's just me...

Archived