What I noticed

JMassie11

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If DC is the "co-offensive Coordinator" let him call the plays. It couldn't be any worse. Sometimes we need two yards on third down and they call a pass play forty yards down the field.

Barnhart may be blowing smoke but like the saying goes where there's smoke... Myron Burton left the team due to his position on the depth chart. But the kid had heart, he showed that in the spring game. The first two games it's been apparent to me that Duke seems to be taking plays off, especially when it comes to run blocking and route running when the ball is not coming his way. Robinson had a heated discussion on the field with Gus Saturday. JJ has only targeted Duke, what, 5 times in two games? It seems to me, and it's only my opinion here, that we may have a similar situation with our offense that we experienced with Whitehead on D last year. Whatever it is the offense is in funk that I hope the coaches can get ahead of. There is an abundance of talent on this team. We should not have to settle for another 8-5 type season.

Barnhart can't be telling the truth. Gus watched player discord while coaching for Nutt at Arky. Gus also watched player discord at AU while coaching for Chizik. Gus knows what happens to team chemistry if one or two players start calling the shots. I don't think Gus would allow his players to lay off and not put forth 100% in protest.

Just playing devils advocate here, but do you see a trend?

I don't want to think there is some type of trend with CGM particularly.

Then I think back to the Whitehead incident last season, where our defense literally gave up on the coaches. Then we have Duke Williams issues a few weeks ago. Now we have rumors of Jovon Robinson having a confrontation on the sideline with the HC. We have players that showed very little energy or enthusiasm in their first game in front of the home crowd.

I feel deep down that what looks like tick-tacky personal issues between players and coaches happen in every program. We just don't hear about them because we aren't as closely attached to other programs.

Barnhart may be blowing smoke but like the saying goes where there's smoke...

Barnhart is also the one who tweeted about Jovon on the sidelines during the game. Makes you wonder if he has a vested interesting in making it seem like there is trouble in the AU locker room.

Barnhart is also the one who tweeted about Jovon on the sidelines during the game. Makes you wonder if he has a vested interesting in making it seem like there is trouble in the AU locker room.

No, it doesn't. Goodness.

Besides, would you rather him say our coaches have a few bad apples in the bunch, or say that they're just not very good at coaching a football team? I mean, those are pretty much the two choices at the moment for people whose job it is to say something out loud about it.

No, it doesn't. Goodness.

Besides, would you rather him say our coaches have a few bad apples in the bunch, or say that they're just not very good at coaching a football team? I mean, those are pretty much the two choices at the moment for people whose job it is to say something out loud about it.

It actually kind of does. It's pretty rare that you hear a sportswriter speculating personal issues in the locker room... then to do it twice, in the same game, about completely separate players sounds like someone trying to stir the pot to me, especially when you are hearing the exact opposite from the players themselves.

I've noticed that the ONLY discussion about Jovon has been Barnhart's tweets and on this message board. Same goes for the talk about players not wanting to play. I'd think if there was any real smoke, more writers would be bringing it up and asking Gus.

I don't see anything untoward about any of that, particularly when it's true. Robinson did yell at Malzahn on the sideline during a game, and Duke's issues were discussed in depth by every major sports outlet in the country (sorry, not sure if there was another specific issue that Barnhart referenced). Between those 2 issues, Burton leaving and the Whitehead thing last year, it seems kind of negligent to not at least consider that things aren't all hunky dory in the locker room.

Not to mention, I'm not sure what incentive an employee of CBS- who has a significant interest in a healthy SEC- would have to run down a preseason SEC title contender.

This reminds me of when folks were claiming that ESPN had an anti-SEC bias as ESPN was in the process of investing $2.25 billion in the SEC.

There has been a small group on here that keeps pointing to Gus and how he looks the other way when it comes to character and giving special treatment to guys to an extent and I really hope this type of stuff isn't something that will hurt this team moving forward.

Longest sentence ever.

Robinson did yell at Malzahn on the sideline during a game, and Duke's issues were discussed in depth by every major sports outlet in the country (sorry, not sure if there was another specific issue that Barnhart referenced).

I've yet to see anything verifiable that show Robinson yelling at Gus. The only thing I've seen other than Barnhart's tweet was another person on here saying that Jovon was talking to Gus, Gus walked away, Jovon followed him, and some other players pulled him back. No one knows what was said or the intensity level of the conversation. As for the Duke situation, Barnhart claimed that players weren't wanting to give their all for Malzhan because he let Duke back on the team. That's pure speculation.

Robinson did yell at Malzahn on the sideline during a game, and Duke's issues were discussed in depth by every major sports outlet in the country (sorry, not sure if there was another specific issue that Barnhart referenced).

I've yet to see anything verifiable that show Robinson yelling at Gus. The only thing I've seen other than Barnhart's tweet was another person on here saying that Jovon was talking to Gus, Gus walked away, Jovon followed him, and some other players pulled him back. No one knows what was said or the intensity level of the conversation. As for the Duke situation, Barnhart claimed that players weren't wanting to give their all for Malzhan because he let Duke back on the team. That's pure speculation.

Sure, but if players felt like they needed to pull him back....they certainly weren't talking about what kind of waffles to get at Waffle House after the game. And if Duke truly got into it with a coach and still ended up starting game 1, it is not out of the realm of possibility that other players feel like they can "try" other coaches on the staff. JMO

Gus walked away, Jovon followed him, and some other players pulled him back.

No one knows what was said or the intensity level of the conversation.

You're right. Nobody knows if a player who has to be held back from his coach during a game has gone "way, WAAAAAY too far" or just "way too far".

Sure, but if players felt like they needed to pull him back....they certainly weren't talking about what kind of waffles to get at Waffle House after the game. And if Duke truly got into it with a coach and still ended up starting game 1, it is not out of the realm of possibility that other players feel like they can "try" other coaches on the staff. JMO

Still, it's all speculation with Jovon if no one was close enough to the situation to really know what was going on. Barnhart's observation came from the freakin' press box. Who knows why he was looking at the sidelines and not the game.

Several coaches have said that the Duke situation had nothing to do with getting into it with a coach and everything to do with his attitude and the fact that he thought he was good enough that he didn't need to put in the work.

So now if Robinson is not disciplined or held out this can snowball extremely fast among other guys on the team. Yikes. Why do we seem to have so many players who can't handle themselves amongst authority figures lol

Considering what we do know, the level of optimism about the situation reminds me of how some on the board were saying even though Mincy was charged with weed possession and had WEED/"shake" ON HIS SHIRT (lol!) might be innocent because the driver could've thrown the bag of marijuana AT Mincy once the blue and red lights came on. Maybe not quite as ridiculous but, kind of close in my opinion.

He had to be pulled back away from the coach. He probably wasn't trying to hug him.

Still, it's all speculation with Jovon if no one was close enough to the situation to really know what was going on. Barnhart's observation came from the freakin' press box. Who knows why he was looking at the sidelines and not the game.

Several coaches have said that the Duke situation had nothing to do with getting into it with a coach and everything to do with his attitude and the fact that he thought he was good enough that he didn't need to put in the work.

I thought some on here saw it happen. Is the only source of this TB's tweet?

As far as Duke, I don't think they would publicly say what actually happened. I mean the coaches always BS in the media. Carl Lawson practiced this past week....riiiiiight.

After the game was over, they shifted back to a panel discussion that included Tony Barnhart, former AJC Sportswriter and now with the SEC Network. The other two guys were really giving it to Auburn for winning in such a poor fashion. Barnhart seemed to be trying to say that there were some issues that were affecting the Auburn team. The main one being that the players did not want to play because of the way Duke Williams was allowed to get back on the team. I have never heard a comentator say anything like that with regard to what was going on insided of a program. My first thought was that even if true, it was very unprofessional of him. I thought Gus handled the Duke situation about as well as it could be handled. I mean leaving him at home for the bowl game and essentially kicking him off the team and allowing him to work his way back into the rotation I thought was the best way to handle the situation. On the other hand, you can't have a group of players running your team and making decisions on who to play and when. Anyone else heard this rumor? Barnhart is a Georgia grad and I wouldn't put it past him to try to start something, but on the other hand, we all agree that there is something wrong.

JW Shewmake

I didn't catch that either, but I agree with you that it was totally unprofessional of him. I cannot believe he would be the only one to know something such as that, and it seems highly unlikely to begin with.

ESPN is really showcasing him as an expert on college football and the SEC in particular. I think he really stepped in it.

As far as Duke, I don't think they would publicly say what actually happened. I mean the coaches always BS in the media. Carl Lawson practiced this past week....riiiiiight.

I think Red posted about Jovon, but his post said nothing about yelling. He used the word talking. Still, unless a player or coach says something, no one will know what really happened because the fans/reporters couldn't have been close enough to hear anything.

The fact that more than one coach publicly came out an denied that Duke had an altercation with a coach is good enough for me. I can see our coaches trying to mislead other teams about who is hurt, but I can't imagine them lying about something like that. If he did have an issue of that nature, they would have stayed quiet instead of publicly denying it.

Wasn't the situation with Whitehead also related to a conflict with a coach/coaches?

I fully understand players getting aggravated and irrate with their coach. But to actually have the balls to confront the coach in a disrespectful or immature way is just baffling to me.

I think Red posted about Jovon, but his post said nothing about yelling. He used the word talking. Still, unless a player or coach says something, no one will know what really happened because the fans/reporters couldn't have been close enough to hear anything.

The fact that more than one coach publicly came out an denied that Duke had an altercation with a coach is good enough for me. I can see our coaches trying to mislead other teams about who is hurt, but I can't imagine them lying about something like that. If he did have an issue of that nature, they would have stayed quiet instead of publicly denying it.

That's fair. We can agree to disagree regarding Duke. Players have been quoted in saying Malzahn is extremely paranoid about what information gets out etc, I personally think they wouldn't divulge that info to the public and opt to try to spin it in a more favorable light. That's just me though. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it plays it out. All of this could be nothing if AU comes out on fire the rest of the year.

Wasn't the situation with Whitehead also related to a conflict with a coach/coaches?

I fully understand players getting aggravated and irrate with their coach. But to actually have the balls to confront the coach in a disrespectful or immature way is just baffling to me.

Apparently our coaches are too nice. That's the way it seems to me anyway.

So let's assume JR was "pulled away". Was it a dragging from behind as he was trying to get to Gus or a simple put a hand on his shoulder and tell him it's ok??? I'm assuming NO ONE has this answer, so this needs to be squashed. I thought rumors weren't allowed here??? Cmon guys.

Yes, the Whitehead situation was 100% an issue with a coach and the staff has come out and confirmed that. That coach is no longer with the team.

The cock fans and team came to play. That coach is a short timer. I've seen enough cup cake games at JH to know one when I see it. This was NO cupcake. Their Line play on both sides was not much below SEC level. That QB was easily second level SEC talent. Reattach JJs head and CALL A BETTER GAME and we win a easily against a quality opponent.

The cock fans and team came to play. That coach is a short timer. I've seen enough cup cake games at JH to know one when I see it. This was NO cupcake. Their Line play on both sides was not much below SEC level. That QB was easily second level SEC talent. Reattach JJs head and CALL A BETTER GAME and we win a easily against a quality opponent.

You forgot that EVERYTHING literally and figuratively bounced their way until the end of the game. Still no excuse, as we should have wiped the field with them.

Archived