Arkansas Game 2014

AUgrad2010

I went back and watched our offensive possessions in this game, and DANG could we run the ball! Cap, Grant, and Barber all looked awesome. All three of them averaged over 6 yards/carry too. I think we've got to get our running game figured out if we want to win some games this year. I don't think you can blame it all on our QB play, so I urge everyone not write off JJ just yet. He may still end up being our starting QB by the end of you year. You never know.

Here is the link:

Stats: http://espn.go.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400548398

Highlights:

He played the same. Stared receivers down etc. arky wasn't good at the beginning of last year and were playing run first with us.

I think Sean White will be the QB at Auburn for a long time. JJ might want to see if he can catch the ball and play WR or TE. Barring injury, #13 has the potential to be the man for awhile.

I think Sean White will be the QB at Auburn for a long time. JJ might want to see if he can catch the ball and play WR or TE. Barring injury, #13 has the potential to be the man for awhile.

Brakes =/= pumped I see. I know we have cautious optimists and outright optimists, but I just don't want to see another huge forum wide disappointment again.

Jeremy was knocking down people with the ball. Smooth as butter. I believe he can get back there. I just don't know when. I really hope we smash the hogs. Can't stand beilama

Why do this to yourself?

He played the same. Stared receivers down etc. arky wasn't good at the beginning of last year and were playing run first with us.

On many passing plays he was progressing through reads. I see several passes where he goes to his second target, and one where he goes to his third target. I also see plays with only one designed receiver (TD to Melvin Ray), as well as a few where he locks on to his first read and waits for it to develop (long pass to Sammie Coates that drew the PI flag).

On many passing plays he was progressing through reads. I see several passes where he goes to his second target, and one where he goes to his third target. I also see plays with only one designed receiver (TD to Melvin Ray), as well as a few where he locks on to his first read and waits for it to develop (long pass to Sammie Coates that drew the PI flag).

Many believe they saw some JJ greatness in the clips of last year's Arkansas game and so believe his play this season is not representative of his talents.

Others saw a competent play caller with a strong and fairly accurate arm playing against an unprepared defense vs the piggies and were not shocked to find him struggling this season.

The funny thing is, both sides can say last year's R-Kansas performance is representative of the real JJ. Now that JJ is no longer starting, can we just agree on that^ and agree to disagree on the rest?

We said the same thing about Johnson last year and Johnson had a heck of a lot more potential than Sean White.

Thing is the kid doesn't have to be the next Drew Brees or Tom Brady or the next great NFL QB. He has to be a good college QB. I have watched college football long enough to know that the best college QB's don't always turn out to be the greatest NFL QB's. I have watched average talent QB's give above average effort and preparation and win college games over and over again. Brandon Cox won a lot of games at Auburn and no one would accuse him of being one of the best QB's in history. He was a gamer though, he fought and he was tough. Same with Patrick Nix, same with Stan White, same with Reggie Slack. These were kids who had good college abilities but were never headed for Canton. I don't care about the arm strength or how tall he is or how big he is if the kid can ball and make plays then by golly he should play and lead this team. If the kid is tough and doesn't mind diving for that extra yard on 3rd down or scrambling out and taking a hit but gets it to his check down receiver then so be it. I want to see some toughness, not just from the QB but I think it starts there.

I remember starting well but the offense began to putter by the end of the 1st half. I remember two 3rd and shorts that we should have had no problem converting but couldn't. That may have been a bigger indication of Oline problems or they didn't believe JJ would run and played CAP the whole way. Defense stepped up in the 2nd half and shut down Arkanslaws offense. Offense picked up again when you had to worry about Nick running.

We said the same thing about Johnson last year and Johnson had a heck of a lot more potential than Sean White.

What makes you say that?

Archived