Will we see JJ at QB vs. UK?

AURealist

I think we see a totally different Jeremy Johnson in this game boys. I predict he lights Commonwealth Stadium up. I really believe that Duke was a MAJOR problem on this team.

i am fully in the "I will believe it when I see it" mode.

Neither good nor bad regarding anything or anyone. I just want to see the play on the field at this point. I truly would not be surprised with championship caliber or high school caliber at this point by coaches or players.

EDIT: ... At this point ...

Sooo.... what's your point?

Please don't point at me....

No point in continuing this pointless pointing out points...

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I was surprised they didn't announce it last night, but my friend in the AD is saying it's JJ starting tomorrow night. Interesting conversation I had with him as well. He said some people in the AD are very unhappy, and he's very perplexed about the QB situation and the team as a whole. Funny someone on this thread brought it up, because my friend and I said the same thing. How far have we fallen where the coaches are trying to keep KENTUCKY guessing who our starting QB is. I'm sorry, I have no words for that, and my friend said that's one of the reasons people in the AD are in disbelief of the state of our program right now, resorting to mind games with Kentucky, TIFWIW...

No disrespect to you or your sources but this is where I think a big problem exists with AU football. IMO maybe Gus and his staff or unsure who they want to send out for the 1st series (starting and finishing are two different things) nevertheless the fact that a source in the AD office knows who the starting QB is strange. Gus should tell JJ and anyone else in the AD department they will find out on Thursday nite just like everyone else. He owes no one in the AD Dept nothing. AU athletic Dept just can't get out of its on way....let the man run the program

I was thinking that. How pathetic if Gus told people in AD, and even more pathetic that they would be upset about his decision

Why do so many think Kentucky should be a pushover? Last two times we've played them:

2009, lost to Kentucky 21-14 at home.

2010, won 37-34 in Lexington by way of a last possession, 19 play drive. One mistake on that drive and our national championship team gets beat.

There is no reason for us to think we should walk over Kentucky.

Sean White was never given an opportunity to succeed ...they limited him in everything..preparation, play calling and support. When he came in the team was already headed down hill. How can he shine if you don't give him a real chance?

We've heard Gus say...Sean knows the whole playbook no doubt about it.

Well the playbook must be

a few pages because that's all the OC has called for him.

So the last two games have been what? A project or just get us by til Jeremy gets his head right?

They put all their eggs in Jeremy's basket. And they haven't hatched yet.

Sean was never given a chance wuth "the playbook".

IMO .to the posters who think otherwise ...Sean will be very good at Auburn if he stays!

People are saying that but we don't really know what the plan was for SW right now. For all we know, the plan was for SW to be a place-holder.....like is done when a starter get's hurt.

I'm still thinking that in his mind...JJ is Gus's QB and it is going to take more than a couple bad games to make him change his opinion. JJ has a huge upside and i just can't imagine Gus and RL writing him off now.....without more evidence that he is not going to make it.

Folks, we need to try and put ourselves in Gus's mind when discussing this....not just suggesting what "we" would do if we were calling the shots.

I agree with you AU64. I'm no JJ apologist, was never buying the Heisman hype around him, and he has had many bad bad bad moments this season. However, like you said, and from what I'm told, SW has been a stand-in while JJ gets his head straight. As much as many want to bash JJ and his abilities, the coaches believe he has the most upside, and with that, believe we can turn this season around still IF JJ has his head straight. People wondering why if he was going to play why not these past two games. Well, how do you think the reception would be at home to him playing QB? Not good, and probably a lot of booing. And as discussed, JJ needs to have more confidence, and starting him at UK sounds much better, where he can start over. And it's ludicrous for some of you saying if he isn't perfect, he should be benched. Would you say that about SW if he had the kind of games like JJ, and was given another shot? I highly doubt that. The coaches know JJ's potential, and they want to see if he's corrected his mistakes. Look, if JJ continues to do the same things he did in the last three games, and I'm not talking about an interception here or there, but not seeing or reading the defense, then yes, he will be pulled. But, any reasonable person would give JJ a second opportunity to prove himself. If he doesn't, then yes, SW will start for the remainder of the year. My .2 cents anyways...

Did Gus let SW in on his plan that SW was just a fill in until Gus decided JJ's head was on straight?

wde

I guess told him what he thought he ought to know...that's why he gets the big bucks after all.

If your and Auburnguy101 theory is true, then IMO, Gus has totally screwed this situation up. If JJ is and always has been his QB, then Gus should have just stuck with him and not benched him to begin with. Instead, Gus started SW who has played the position through 2 games better than JJ with which seems to be a far more limited playbook. Now, if Gus benches SW because Gus has decided JJ's therapy session is over, he just totally treated SW in a very dishonest way (if Gus did not tell SW that was the plan from the beginning).

wde

So many people are willing to give druggies multiple chances to get back on the team but are unwilling to give a young QB a second chance to lead the team after a few bad games.....strange values IMO.

Trying to catch up on this thread and really got hung up on this line. Made me chuckle.

So, I was surprised they didn't announce it last night, but my friend in the AD is saying it's JJ starting tomorrow night. Interesting conversation I had with him as well. He said some people in the AD are very unhappy, and he's very perplexed about the QB situation and the team as a whole. Funny someone on this thread brought it up, because my friend and I said the same thing. How far have we fallen where the coaches are trying to keep KENTUCKY guessing who our starting QB is. I'm sorry, I have no words for that, and my friend said that's one of the reasons people in the AD are in disbelief of the state of our program right now, resorting to mind games with Kentucky, TIFWIW...

No disrespect to you or your sources but this is where I think a big problem exists with AU football. IMO maybe Gus and his staff or unsure who they want to send out for the 1st series (starting and finishing are two different things) nevertheless the fact that a source in the AD office knows who the starting QB is strange. Gus should tell JJ and anyone else in the AD department they will find out on Thursday nite just like everyone else. He owes no one in the AD Dept nothing. AU athletic Dept just can't get out of its on way....let the man run the program

Im starting to see where that awful smell has been coming from. Smh

Why do so many think Kentucky should be a pushover? Last two times we've played them:

2010, won 37-34 in Lexington by way of a last possession, 19 play drive. One mistake on that drive and our national championship team gets beat.

This. I have actually been on Kentucky's bandwagon all year anyways. The way they looked at the end of last year and with it being another year to grow with Stoops,I thought they might be the surprise of the East. Florida kind of took that spotlight. Kentucky is going to be extremely fired up in this game. They have never played on Thursday night. They have the entire nation watching Kentucky football (and not basketball), being the only game on and the chance to make a statement against an original 6 member of SEC. Plus the team that beat them and ahead of them just lost their starting QB for a year. Plenty of reasons to have a renewed fire to play.

This. I have actually been on Kentucky's bandwagon all year anyways. The way they looked at the end of last year and with it being another year to grow with Stoops,I thought they might be the surprise of the East. Florida kind of took that spotlight. Kentucky is going to be extremely fired up in this game. They have never played on Thursday night. They have the entire nation watching Kentucky football (and not basketball), being the only game on and the chance to make a statement against an original 6 member of SEC. Plus the team that beat them and ahead of them just lost their starting QB for a year. Plenty of reasons to have a renewed fire to play.

I agree. I had this game circled when I thought we would be a good team. This UK team is much better, and it is a Thursday night game on the road. I'm honestly more upset by the Moo state loss at home than I would be if we lost to UK on the road.

I'm hoping JJ gets the start and we air it out on the first play. Connecting on a long ball early for JJ could change the face of this season.

Kentucky, while maybe not having the caliber of players AU has, plays a full game. They're good at DT and LB. They get sacks. They can run and pass. They lost to UF in a close one. It's away. On Thursday.

Nothing to love about this game.

We need to make sure we don't get behind early.

Oringinally I had thought 101's source was just spreading misinformation. After reading what Golf and WDEWDE wrote in a separate thread, I'm leaning toward the AD office undermining Gus' program. The question is; how will Gus react? This is what I believe Golf was alluding to with his comments. The last time this happened there was a midnight flight to Louisville involved. CTT was strong enough to fight through that, I wonder if Gus has that kind of leadership.

And yes, it seems the AU Athletic Dept just can't get out of its own way.

Oringinally I had thought 101's source was just spreading misinformation. After reading what Golf and WDEWDE wrote in a separate thread, I'm leaning toward the AD office undermining Gus' program. The question is; how will Gus react? This is what I believe Golf was alluding to with his comments. The last time this happened there was a midnight flight to Louisville involved. CTT was strong enough to fight through that, I wonder if Gus has that kind of leadership.

This is all still pretty much conjecture, but let's just pretend for a second that it's been confirmed. Just because people in the AD are influencing (subtly or not) the football program doesn't mean they're undermining it. If you own about 20 fast food franchises(Jacobs) and one of them(your main cash cown- football) has been "less than profitable" as of late, you're probably going to "assist" the manager of that store in getting things back on track. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but few owners would sit idly by while their flagship store is run into the ground. And those saying that Gus shouldn't have to answer to anyone are completely wrong- everyone has a boss and everyone should be held accountable.

While I am not saying that the Athletic Department is or is not influencing or undermining Gus' program, I do ask why people think that is the case? What would the motive be to do so? If there is a historic pattern of such influence or undermining causing problems, why would it continue?

The Athletic Director is Gus' immediate boss, and he represents the substantial financial and resource commitment that Auburn University has made in the coaches, players, and the entire program itself. To think that the Athletic Director is not going to make his dissatisfaction known, or directly observe progress is ridiculous. In this particular case, Jacobs likely has as much riding on the football program's success as Gus does. Should Gus fail, and it become necessary to fire him, that makes two coaches in a short time with large buyouts that Auburn is on the hook for. That is the kind of thing that gets AD's fired, as well it should.

The Athletic Director is Gus' immediate boss, and he represents the substantial financial and resource commitment that Auburn University has made in the coaches, players, and the entire program itself. To think that the Athletic Director is not going to make his dissatisfaction known, or directly observe progress is ridiculous. In this particular case, Jacobs likely has as much riding on the football program's success as Gus does. Should Gus fail, and it become necessary to fire him, that makes two coaches in a short time with large buyouts that Auburn is on the hook for. That is the kind of thing that gets AD's fired, as well it should.

But Gus shouldn't have to answer to anybody...right?

But Gus shouldn't have to answer to anybody...right?

Of course not. Gus doesn't have time to be bothered with answering to the person that hired him.

This is all still pretty much conjecture, but let's just pretend for a second that it's been confirmed. Just because people in the AD are influencing (subtly or not) the football program doesn't mean they're undermining it. If you own about 20 fast food franchises(Jacobs) and one of them(your main cash cown- football) has been "less than profitable" as of late, you're probably going to "assist" the manager of that store in getting things back on track. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but few owners would sit idly by while their flagship store is run into the ground. And those saying that Gus shouldn't have to answer to anyone are completely wrong- everyone has a boss and everyone should be held accountable.

You're absolutely correct in that this is conjecture, it's only my thought with reguard to the information leak. Concerning your analogy about the fast food franchises, if one of the franchises is less than profitable the owner would have a responsibility to assist the manager in any way he could. Allowing an employee of the owner of the franchise to leak information about how he thinks it should be done to the other stores, and even worse, to the costomers of the franchise, is classic undermining. The employee leaking the information should be fired.

Gus' boss is Jacobs and Jacobs does have the right to evaluate Gus' performance, no question, but a boss with leadership will not micro manage the situation. He hired Gus to do a job, help Gus when Jacobs believes he is making bad decisions, but don't try to coach the team from a desk when Jacobs has never been a coach. Hence, let Gus do his job.

You're absolutely correct in that this is conjecture, it's only my thought with reguard to the information leak. Concerning your analogy about the fast food franchises, if one of the franchises is less than profitable the owner would have a responsibility to assist the manager in any way he could. Allowing an employee of the owner of the franchise to leak information about how he thinks it should be done to the other stores, and even worse, to the costomers of the franchise, is classic undermining. The employee leaking the information should be fired.

Gus' boss is Jacobs and Jacobs does have the right to evaluate Gus' performance, no question, but a boss with leadership will not micro manage the situation. He hired Gus to do a job, help Gus when Jacobs believes he is making bad decisions, but don't try to coach the team from a desk when Jacobs has never been a coach. Hence, let Gus do his job.

And if Gus isn't doing his job? Then what? You talk about "assisting" the manager and "helping" Gus... What does that mean, exactly? Just because Gus' boss(es) is/are exerting influence doesn't make it micromanaging. I wholeheartedly disagree with the notion that just because you hire someone to do a job, you're then unable to influence or guide how that job is done in any way. This "micromanaging" happens every single day in workplaces all over the world. Why is football any different? Especially when the product being put out on the field is absolute garbage.

That is broad conjecture to take from such a small hearsay described as a leak only by you to and then derive that Jacobs is trying to coach the team.

Yes the AD is his boss but that should not give the AD the power to meddle in the program. Maybe Gus wants to play a certain player, does the AD have the authority to say no...we think this guy should play or that guy should play. Use Bama as a comparison, prior to Saban the athletic non coaching administration had their hands all over that program. Once he got there her let them know it's my way or the highway. I heard Bill Polian say that as a GM, you may want to give input regarding on-field football matters, but you had to have a very light touch when doing so it does not come off as you are telling the coach what to do or how to do his job. Not sure if this is the case but there is a way to manage a football coach and the AD should not be influencing who plays and does not play.

Yes the AD is his boss but that should not give the AD the power to meddle in the program. Maybe Gus wants to play a certain player, does the AD have the authority to say no...we think this guy should play or that guy should play. Use Bama as a comparison, prior to Saban the athletic non coaching administration had their hands all over that program. Once he got there her let them know it's my way or the highway. I heard Bill Polian say that as a GM, you may want to give input regarding on-field football matters, but you had to have a very light touch when doing so it does not come off as you are telling the coach what to do or how to do his job. Not sure if this is the case but there is a way to manage a football coach and the AD should not be influencing who plays and does not play.

If Gus put the same product on the field as Saban, I highly doubt anyone would feel the need to "meddle".

That is broad conjecture to take from such a small hearsay described as a leak only by you to and then derive that Jacobs is trying to coach the team.

Yep. Of course there are folks in the ADept questioning what's happening with the team. Thousands of people everywhere are. Undermining Gus' program? By... maybe leaking that JJ will play at QB? Call the FBI.

I like a good conspiracy story as much as anyone, but this is a total non-story and completely off the rails.

I know if I was Gus and let's say hypothetically JJ came into my office and asked who the starting QB would be....I would have said..no disrespect but we are still evaluating and at this point it will be a game day decision....I just don't think the AD had to know everything...and does not have the right to know everything. Hopefully this is not happening behind the scenes....

If Gus put the same product on the field as Saban, I highly doubt anyone would feel the need to "meddle".

Maybe the product is being influenced by meddling....

Maybe the product is being influenced by meddling....

Meddling would more than likely involve one QB starting over another or pushing a coach out coughLashleecough. Meddling in the program would be highly unlikely to produce poor player development and lack of fundamental skill in EVERY position group on the team.

Archived