Will we see JJ at QB vs. UK?

AURealist

I saw a Fox Sports article that hinted towards Jason Smith starting at QB. But I think it was based off of an unverified tweet by someone.

Good god. Can we put this rumor to bed already? Smith was given a shot to play qb and was quickly moved to receiver. If there was any chance of him being a division 1 level quarterback, he would have stayed at qb for a lot longer than he did. Maybe I'm overstepping, but I think we are in real trouble if we resort to him starting at qb.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw a Fox Sports article that hinted towards Jason Smith starting at QB. But I think it was based off of an unverified tweet by someone.

Good god. Can we put this rumor to bed already? Smith was given a shot to play qb and was quickly moved to receiver. If there was any chance of him being a division 1 level quarterback, he would have stayed at qb for a lot longer than he did. Maybe I'm overstepping, but I think we are in real trouble if we resort to him starting at qb.

I'm kinda curious as to how he's getting so much time at WR myself. Aside from the one play JJ threw him the TD that got called back for holding, I can't remember him doing anything significant.

I'm kinda curious as to how he's getting so much time at WR myself. Aside from the one play JJ threw him the TD that got called back for holding, I can't remember him doing anything significant.

Yeah, and the other wr's been piling up those yds! ;)

Yeah, and the other wr's been piling up those yds! ;)/>

Well, Smith is currently 8th on the team in receiving yards (behind three different running backs) with a whopping 17 yards. Not sure why he is the go to savior for the team myself. Hasnt proven anything in D1 football and was very quickly dropped from the qb race :dunno:

I guess people just need the new great hope and he is the only other qb option that we haven't actually seen so he HAS to be AMAZING!! Lol

Well, Smith is currently 8th on the team in receiving yards (behind three different running backs) with a whopping 17 yards. Not sure why he is the go to savior for the team myself. Hasnt proven anything in D1 football and was very quickly dropped from the qb race :dunno:/>

I guess people just need the new great hope and he is the only other qb option that we haven't actually seen so he HAS to be AMAZING!! Lol

Sounds right. I hope 8th in receiving doesn't include duke. With 3 rb's ahead of him that puts him as the 5th leading wr with 17 yds after 5 games. He may be leading in dropped receiving yds though.

This situation is perplexing to me. Why not go ahead and name Sean the starter? Why is it still week to week when he hasn't really done anything to actually lose the job. Hasn't technically won it either but he's done a decent job of what has been asked of him...even though it's not been much asked of him.

Didn't Gus say after releasing Duke that all positions over the next two weeks were open?

You got issues with effort and laying it out there...... then you strip your depth chart and have no named starters. That includes the QB. You name a starter and well, then not all positions are open going into Kentucky.

Well, Smith is currently 8th on the team in receiving yards (behind three different running backs) with a whopping 17 yards. Not sure why he is the go to savior for the team myself. Hasnt proven anything in D1 football and was very quickly dropped from the qb race :dunno:/>

Sounds right. I hope 8th in receiving doesn't include duke. With 3 rb's ahead of him that puts him as the 5th leading wr with 17 yds after 5 games. He may be leading in dropped receiving yds though.

Dukes yards don't count? Last I checked they played the same amount of games. Duke was 3rd in yards behind Ricardo and Roc.

My hope is that this competition is a formality for inspiring better play. I don't see why Sean White shouldn't start Thursday. Not throwing six interceptions in three games is a good start.

My hope is that this competition is a formality for inspiring better play. I don't see why Sean White shouldn't start Thursday. Not throwing six interceptions in three games is a good start.

Since Duke is out, it's probbly the real thing for receivers. For QB, it's probably just for show so you can't be too upset when JJ starts. I mean, who can be against playing the guy who won the position?

I really hope it hasn't gotten that bad that we got a revolving door at QB

If Jason is starting, it's gonna look dead like 2013 though (except lesser talent)

Was 2013 really dead for you?

Dead is a synonym for exact in this context

The whole SW experience has been nothing more than a above the shoulders reset for the golden boy. Gus the stubborn is not about to give up on his prodigy. Might work, might not. Hope it does.

Dukes yards don't count? Last I checked they played the same amount of games. Duke was 3rd in yards behind Ricardo and Roc.

Wasn't sure if he was counted in the totals since he is no longer on the team and you said, "currently 8th on the team". So, our 4th leading active wr has 17 yds over 5 games. Nice.

I'm afraid if JJ started at JHS, he'd get boo'ed. Starting him away at Kentucky (not typically the most intimidating place) might be a place to "give it a whirl". If it doesn't work out, you go back to SW. Remember, this would be SW first away start. Don't know if any of that factors in, but thought I'd bring t up.

So the UK crowd could affect White, but not Johnson.

Got it.

Does anyone else think that maybe the reason SW didn't get to throw the ball but a measly 10 times last game was more about not letting him get a bunch of stats thereby keeping the door open for JJ, and less because "we didn't need to"? I mean I'm not saying that was the only reason but I think that may have been a factor in the play calling. We haven't gotten to see what SW can do because he hasn't been allowed to. I know this, he is a better runner than JJ. That is very apparent. I dont know if he is a better passer bc he hasnt been allowed to pass it. I also feel like the team has looked more motivated when SW has been in the game. If Sean had been allowed to throw the ball and he was able to light it up there is no way we would be having this conversation right now.

I also would like to point out that the first drive in the Miss St. game we saw Auburn's offense look very good for the first time this season. The rest of the game they moved the ball up and down the field and overcame penalties and poor play calling only to stall in the redzone. At that point I felt like we were one game away from having a decent offense with SW at the helm. Then the San Jose game Gus didn't let him throw the ball and our offense looked stagnant. I feel like SW could be the guy if Gus would call a balanced game. The fear I have though is that we are going to go back to JJ b/c he was supposed to be THE man, he plays poorly again and not only have you pissed off SW, the fans, and maybe the team, but then you have to start over again with SW. Timing on throws, the snap count, and the general cohesion on offense is very different between JJ and SW. If you keep going back and forth you are just making it harder on the players. (and the fans who have to watch the resulting mess)

One thing cam was great at that they even brag on him about in the NFL was how smart of a runner he is. I only saw him get tattooed once in college. Even if jj is a better size I doubt if he can be great at it. SW scared me with that hit he took....Reggie ragland catches him doing that he wouldn't be getting back up running the next play. I think that's a lack of coaching as well

Yep. Shoulda hook slid 5 yds earlier on that one. His value would be be as a situational and smart runner if he is used properly.

Man, I don't think they teach the QBs how to slide at AU. JJ's 3rd down run vs UL where he stopped just short? That slide was awkward and dangerous

I also would like to point out that the first drive in the Miss St. game we saw Auburn's offense look very good for the first time this season. The rest of the game they moved the ball up and down the field and overcame penalties and poor play calling only to stall in the redzone. At that point I felt like we were one game away from having a decent offense with SW at the helm. Then the San Jose game Gus didn't let him throw the ball and our offense looked stagnant. I feel like SW could be the guy if Gus would call a balanced game. The fear I have though is that we are going to go back to JJ b/c he was supposed to be THE man, he plays poorly again and not only have you pissed off SW, the fans, and maybe the team, but then you have to start over again with SW. Timing on throws, the snap count, and the general cohesion on offense is very different between JJ and SW. If you keep going back and forth you are just making it harder on the players. (and the fans who have to watch the resulting mess)

Best looking drive of the year for sure, why haven't the playcalls looked like that? Not necessarily the success but there was a lot of variety I feel like (I could be wrong) and SW was making good throws until the interception

• "Sean White has done nothing to lose the job" ... "We'll make the call on that later in the week."

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/10/live_updates_gus_malzahn_previews_auburn_kentucky.html#incart_river

I just want to say I can't believe we are even here. I NEVER would have imagined this before the season

Me either. To be honest, I think we're all a little shell-shocked how flat this team came out playing. And JJ...no one on this board expected him to fall flat on his rear end like he did. I don't necessarily agree with changing QB' again, but I think whoever they start Thurs should remain the starter the remainder of the season in hopes to try to build some sort of continuity.

• "Sean White has done nothing to lose the job" ... "We'll make the call on that later in the week."

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/10/live_updates_gus_malzahn_previews_auburn_kentucky.html#incart_river

Well then, it only makes sense to start jj if he has been practicing well again. I mean, if he's practicing well, that would lead to playing well, am I right?!!

http://www.al.com/au...ml#incart_river

Well then, it only makes sense to start jj if he has been practicing well again. I mean, if he's practicing well, that would lead to playing well, am I right?!!

So White has not done anything to loose the job but his job is up for grabs.

Meanwhile 2 weeks of looking good in practice will be the difference with JJ - just ignore the 2 years of good practices leading up to his performances in the first 3 games.

You really can't make this kind of stuff up.

Yeah, and the other wr's been piling up those yds! ;)

Re-watched the AU vs SJSU game. Smith had a for sure TD on a bomb that he dropped. Just didn't make a very simple adjustment to the ball.

Does anyone else think that maybe the reason SW didn't get to throw the ball but a measly 10 times last game was more about not letting him get a bunch of stats thereby keeping the door open for JJ, and less because "we didn't need to"? I mean I'm not saying that was the only reason but I think that may have been a factor in the play calling. We haven't gotten to see what SW can do because he hasn't been allowed to. I know this, he is a better runner than JJ. That is very apparent. I dont know if he is a better passer bc he hasnt been allowed to pass it. I also feel like the team has looked more motivated when SW has been in the game. If Sean had been allowed to throw the ball and he was able to light it up there is no way we would be having this conversation right now.

It could also be the opposite. Maybe White was handcuffed because Gus didn't trust him to throw it more.

Archived