Will we see JJ at QB vs. UK?

AURealist

JJ has the tangibles to be a great quarterback, and if he can get his mind right I think he'd be back to being Gus and Rhett's guy we've been led to believe. I wouldn't be surprised if JJ and Sean don't split reps in the first half to establish a hot hand.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's interesting to me that so many have sources that leak info in the AD's office. That said you can think we are slipping because we are playing games with KU but this team is fighting to get in a bowl game and there are very few teams left that are close games. So I say why not keep the starter a secret. We have to win this game or our bowl chances are very slim. I hope we play 4 QB's (that would include Kerryon as a wildcat) if it will help us win the game. The objective is to win the game not be arrogant. If some of you want a moral victory and name the starter today so be it. But as for me I just want to win the game. It doesn't matter to me if we run 20 trick plays. I DON'T CARE!!!!!

Well, yeah, that was the joke I was making. I'm not saying it's a bad decision to withhold the info. It's just an indication of where our season is right now.

I'm with ya. I told my wife a couple of weeks ago that there are some games coming up that I am not sure I can watch. I don't remember ever feeling that way before. I hope this game changes how I feel. We really need something good to happen.

Haven't seen anyone bring it up, and if it has, forgive me.

What are the chances we see a dual QB system? I know it goes against Gus's normal coaching style, but perhaps it could be somehow beneficial? Have SW work the field, then put JJ in the red zone? Or special designed packages for either QB if the situation calls for it? Obviously this would interrupt tempo if we are clicking. Would this be too detrimental to either QB's psyche? Naturally, if one is in a rhythm, keep him in.

Well, we did see JJ in the goal line package against MSU*. So some of that thought is definitely there. And Gus has done it at completely inexplicable times in the past, so I wouldn't be surprised at some situational stuff. What I don't see is a red zone QB vs a between-the-20s QB.

What a time to be alive is my favorite album out right now

I've been negligent. Familiarizing myself right now.

It's interesting to me that so many have sources that leak info in the AD's office. That said you can think we are slipping because we are playing games with KU but this team is fighting to get in a bowl game and there are very few teams left that are close games. So I say why not keep the starter a secret. We have to win this game or our bowl chances are very slim. I hope we play 4 QB's (that would include Kerryon as a wildcat) if it will help us win the game. The objective is to win the game not be arrogant. If some of you want a moral victory and name the starter today so be it. But as for me I just want to win the game. It doesn't matter to me if we run 20 trick plays. I DON'T CARE!!!!!

Well, yeah, that was the joke I was making. I'm not saying it's a bad decision to withhold the info. It's just an indication of where our season is right now.

I'm with ya. I told my wife a couple of weeks ago that there are some games coming up that I am not sure I can watch. I don't remember ever feeling that way before. I hope this game changes how I feel. We really need something good to happen.

Didn't watch UGA or bama in 2012. Absolutely no regrets. Definitely not there yet with this team, but I agree, it needs to get better soon. Life is too precious.

Drake and future collab....diamonds dancing my favorite song off it.

It's funny nobody, not one person has mentioned jj is the only qb that's thrown a td....funny thing to leave out...the play at qb is actually the same. One maybe a little better but it's negligible. The over reactions about one qb or the other is comical. Neither one has been good enough to cover up any other groups mediocre play....it really doesn't matter

It's funny nobody, not one person has mentioned jj is the only qb that's thrown a td....funny thing to leave out...the play at qb is actually the same. One maybe a little better but it's negligible. The over reactions about one qb or the other is comical. Neither one has been good enough to cover up any other groups mediocre play....it really doesn't matter

I honestly don't care who starts as long as they minimize mistakes and lead the team to victory. I'm not in any particular "camp" at this point.

Just a hunch but I think they will start SW and put JJ in the second series unless we go right down the field and score. If Gus starts JJ and has to pull him I think it messes with his mind again. Better to work him in slowly.

Maybe more like an indication that the coaches aren't 100 percent sure who their best option is at qb on gameday? Nah, that would just be ridiculous...has to mean we are just terrible! Lol

So, I was surprised they didn't announce it last night, but my friend in the AD is saying it's JJ starting tomorrow night. Interesting conversation I had with him as well. He said some people in the AD are very unhappy, and he's very perplexed about the QB situation and the team as a whole. Funny someone on this thread brought it up, because my friend and I said the same thing. How far have we fallen where the coaches are trying to keep KENTUCKY guessing who our starting QB is. I'm sorry, I have no words for that, and my friend said that's one of the reasons people in the AD are in disbelief of the state of our program right now, resorting to mind games with Kentucky, TIFWIW...

i don't understand why everyone defaults to the "it's about Kentucky" scenario. Could it simply be a few less days of the "non-starter" from the spot light or from the pending negativity from some circles if JJ is named. It's undue stress on the kids ... For at least a couple extra days. Lord knows they will get roasted plenty in the games to come - even if they play well.

Diamonds Dancing is a great song from that album but Jumpman is definitely a hype track. Heavy rotation from that album in the car right now.

I agree on JJ. He threw 5 TDs and had one against Louisville called back. I think the pressure and hype was a little much for him at first. I also thought we pulled him too soon. Sean hasn't done so much to show me that he's necessarily the answer. He just hasn't made a critical mistake yet. He's also not made any big plays. Jeremy has the explosive ability to make our offense reach its full potential, which is why I think he should play.

How would Kentucky prepare differently for each QB? Do they prepare for JJ by getting the LB's and DB's extra reps on the jugs machine?

Too soon. ;)

I think we see a totally different Jeremy Johnson in this game boys. I predict he lights Commonwealth Stadium up. I really believe that Duke was a MAJOR problem on this team.

I think we see a totally different Jeremy Johnson in this game boys. I predict he lights Commonwealth Stadium up. I really believe that Duke was a MAJOR problem on this team.

i am fully in the "I will believe it when I see it" mode.

Neither good nor bad regarding anything or anyone. I just want to see the play on the field at this point. I truly would not be surprised with championship caliber or high school caliber at this point by coaches or players.

EDIT: ... At this point ...

So Duke having problems effected JJs ability to read a defense?

With Duke gone all of a sudden, he will have learned not to throw the ball to the other team? I don't get it...

With Duke gone all of a sudden, he will have learned not to throw the ball to the other team? I don't get it...

It is not beyond the realm of possibility to clear your head and do a 180. I did my best on exams when I drank beer and didn't even think about the exam the night before. I think being demoted could have helped calm him down. So we may see and we may not.

It is not beyond the realm of possibility to clear your head and do a 180. I did my best on exams when I drank beer and didn't even think about the exam the night before. I think being demoted could have helped calm him down. So we may see and we may not.

I have a hunch that your clearing the head thought is closer to reality than you realize. I've had a hunch for a few weeks now that his head has been a little "foggy". Hopefully Duke checking out helped clear the fog

I honestly don't care who starts as long as they minimize mistakes and lead the team to victory. I'm not in any particular "camp" at this point.

I'm not either. I see how JJ's ceiling is higher than SW's, but the ceiling is irrelevant. If JJ is struggling (and continues to struggle) with reading coverage and making decisions, then he has no business continuing to play QB here. If the JJ that was expected can get it straight, by all means let him have the job he spent two years being groomed for. In the absence of that, move forward with SW and shop for a JUCO if he's not the guy either. I don't really care which one of them keeps the job for the rest of the season, or moving into next year.

I am hoping that someone/somehow is able to pull this game out in Lexington tomorrow night. We just simply need it, no ifs nor buts. I am of the opinion, as are others on here, I believe Shawn starts for his and JJ's sakes; however, I am thinking that both play significantly unless one of them is just outstanding. And either one of them being outstanding right now would be a great thing for the team and us as fans. WDE.

I am hoping that someone/somehow is able to pull this game out in Lexington tomorrow night. We just simply need it, no ifs nor buts. I am of the opinion, as are others on here, I believe Shawn starts for his and JJ's sakes; however, I am thinking that both play significantly unless one of them is just outstanding. And either one of them being outstanding right now would be a great thing for the team and us as fans. WDE.

who is Shawn

If JJ starts and fails, Gus will lose the team IMO.

What is "fail" ? JMO but if JJ starts and has problems after 15-20 minutes then he is back on the bench. If SW goes in and can't do the job either......then Gus is in trouble. .

Screw that. If they put JJ in over Sean after Sean has done nothing to lose the job, then what does that do to Sean if JJ fails? You're really gonna ask a kid to go back in again with the full knowledge that he's just a place holder until the coaches are ready to take another chance with JJ? If I am Sean White, at that point I'm putting out feelers and looking to transfer.

I really hope Malzahn isn't a big enough idiot to play this kind of game with his QB's. I have been and remain just about one of the biggest Malzahn fans there is, but if he makes this kind of move, he's making a mistake. (I was a huge JJ supporter prior to the season as well. But I don't believe in musical chairs at QB, and any coach that plays that game is playing a fool's game. JJ had his shot. Now, barring injury to Sean or Sean's failure on the field, JJ needs to sit until spring.)

I understand what you are saying. However, if JJ is outperforming in SW in practice, then does he not deserve the same right to start? Normally, I would agree with you 100%, however, that QB position should be subject to the same rules as every other position on that team. If someone else is outperforming them in practice, you put them in, LB, S, OL, DL and QB. just my $.02.

I have a hunch that your clearing the head thought is closer to reality than you realize. I've had a hunch for a few weeks now that his head has been a little "foggy". Hopefully Duke checking out helped clear the fog

I agree. Also, none of us really know what Duke was saying to JJ if indeed they were roommates. If the rumor that he looked at JJ in practice and told him that he ruined his career is true, then who knows what else he said to him in private. Please don't take that as gospel. It's just an idea.

Wow still works I see. 50 years later

I agree. Also, none of us really know what Duke was saying to JJ if indeed they were roommates. If the rumor that he looked at JJ in practice and told him that he ruined his career is true, then who knows what else he said to him in private. Please don't take that as gospel. It's just an idea.

Did Rhett not say in his last presser that JJ and SW got along really well, helped each other compete and room together?

Or did I hear it wrong?

Wow still works I see. 50 years later

I had a psychology professor swear by it and it has worked every time.

Did Rhett not say in his last presser that JJ and SW got along really well, helped each other compete and room together?

Or did I hear it wrong?

Maybe they do out of town or they do now that Duke is gone? It was reported several places that JJ and Duke were roommates. Doesn't make it true of course...

Archived