Will we see JJ at QB vs. UK?

AURealist

If JJ starts and fails, Gus will lose the team IMO.

What is "fail" ? JMO but if JJ starts and has problems after 15-20 minutes then he is back on the bench. If SW goes in and can't do the job either......then Gus is in trouble. .

Screw that. If they put JJ in over Sean after Sean has done nothing to lose the job, then what does that do to Sean if JJ fails? You're really gonna ask a kid to go back in again with the full knowledge that he's just a place holder until the coaches are ready to take another chance with JJ? If I am Sean White, at that point I'm putting out feelers and looking to transfer.

I really hope Malzahn isn't a big enough idiot to play this kind of game with his QB's. I have been and remain just about one of the biggest Malzahn fans there is, but if he makes this kind of move, he's making a mistake. (I was a huge JJ supporter prior to the season as well. But I don't believe in musical chairs at QB, and any coach that plays that game is playing a fool's game. JJ had his shot. Now, barring injury to Sean or Sean's failure on the field, JJ needs to sit until spring.)

JMO but fortunately most of these players are more realistic and mature about what goes on in college football.

For years I've seem posters comment that this player or that one....commenting about who would quit or transfer if he did not get to play or got pulled from the line-up. And how many actually did that...and if you look around, how many of those guys got to play for an equivalent program and did well? None that I can think of.

This isn't about saving SW's feelings, making him feel good or whatever....., it's about winning football games. At just about every position on the team, guys get replaced from one game to the next because another guy playing his position had a better week of practice, or he dropped a pass, or maybe fumbled the ball at a critical moment. ..and yet for some reason, our QBs are such sensitive individuals that they can't bear with someone beating them out for the right to play ? Again, JMO but if you are right about SW's response to being pulled in this game....then he's not the man to lead this team. In my view however, SW will do what the coach's ask and will be ready to give it his best no matter what the conditions or when he is asked to take charge.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is practice over yet? ;D/>

Well? Must have meant tell the team after practice... Lol. It'd be nice if 101 was right here just to have another quality source on the board... Even though I hope he is wrong just in a football sense...I still feel if JJ plays it really needs to be off the bench

What is "fail" ? JMO but if JJ starts and has problems after 15-20 minutes then he is back on the bench. If SW goes in and can't do the job either......then Gus is in trouble. .

Screw that. If they put JJ in over Sean after Sean has done nothing to lose the job, then what does that do to Sean if JJ fails? You're really gonna ask a kid to go back in again with the full knowledge that he's just a place holder until the coaches are ready to take another chance with JJ? If I am Sean White, at that point I'm putting out feelers and looking to transfer.

I really hope Malzahn isn't a big enough idiot to play this kind of game with his QB's. I have been and remain just about one of the biggest Malzahn fans there is, but if he makes this kind of move, he's making a mistake. (I was a huge JJ supporter prior to the season as well. But I don't believe in musical chairs at QB, and any coach that plays that game is playing a fool's game. JJ had his shot. Now, barring injury to Sean or Sean's failure on the field, JJ needs to sit until spring.)

JMO but fortunately most of these players are more realistic and mature about what goes on in college football.

For years I've seem posters comment that this player or that one....commenting about who would quit or transfer if he did not get to play or got pulled from the line-up. And how many actually did that...and if you look around, how many of those guys got to play for an equivalent program and did well? None that I can think of.

This isn't about saving SW's feelings, making him feel good or whatever....., it's about winning football games.

It is about winning football games. And for this season at least, Jeremy Johnson has shown that he is not the guy to do it. A few weeks off as starter is unlikely to fix anything that two years as the backup and occasional starter did not. As far as football players and maturity, save me. These are still very, very young men. And even at age 54, if I am Sean White and the coaches play this game, maturity dictates that I recognize what is in front of me and how when my turn came, I was not actually given the same chance. Maturity in that situation says "I'm off to someplace that deals with what is, not what they wish was."

This isn't about saving SW's feelings, making him feel good or whatever....., it's about winning football games.

It is about winning football games. And for this season at least, Jeremy Johnson has shown that he is not the guy to do it. A few weeks off as starter is unlikely to fix anything that two years as the backup and occasional starter did not. As far as football players and maturity, save me. These are still very, very young men. And even at age 54, if I am Sean White and the coaches play this game, maturity dictates that I recognize what is in front of me and how when my turn came, I was not actually given the same chance. Maturity in that situation says "I'm off to someplace that deals with what is, not what they wish was."

no doubt

Let's hope they didn't waste the bye week going over what was not learned in a whole years worth (spring-summer-fall) of practice... when they had a breather to install some new stuff for SW to bring to the game.

no doubt

Let's hope they didn't waste the bye week going over what was not learned in a whole years worth (spring-summer-fall) of practice... when they had a breather to install some new stuff for SW to bring to the game.

New stuff? I'm choosing option 1 - wasted bye week reteaching old lessons. I don't expect any new stuff for SW until it's settled in the minds of Gus and Rhett that JJ can't run the offense they specificlly tailored to him.

A view from 10,000 feet: Spurrier @ UF pulled, reinserted, publicly berated & rotated QBs like crazy during many successful seasons. An unsettled QB situation is not ideal but "losing the team" if our QB du jour sucks in a winning effort over KY won't necessarily be a reason for Gus to lose the team, be in trouble, etc.

A view from 10,000 feet: Spurrier @ UF pulled, reinserted, publicly berated & rotated QBs like crazy during many successful seasons. An unsettled QB situation is not ideal but "losing the team" if our QB du jour sucks in a winning effort over KY won't necessarily be a reason for Gus to lose the team, be in trouble, etc.

Agree.

Thank you.

There's plenty to freak out about. Somehow that has translated into folks freaking out about other things, too.

Bryan Matthews @BMattAU

Gus Malzahn: The starting quarterback will be a game time announcement

I'm betting that they know who it is, but releasing info like this to keep UK in the dark preparing for both QBs.

Bryan Matthews @BMattAU

I'm betting that they know who it is, but releasing info like this to keep UK in the dark preparing for both QBs.

Yup.

Using deception for a competitive advantage over Kentucky. Your 2015 Auburn Tigers, ladies and gentlemen!

Bryan Matthews @BMattAU

Yup.

Using deception for a competitive advantage over Kentucky. Your 2015 Auburn Tigers, ladies and gentlemen!

It's a great day to be alive.

I'm only saying Gus will "be in trouble" because if JJ and SW are not able to lead this team to victories...where does he go for the next QB? He really does not have a Plan C at this point. I'm not talking about losing his job.....

Sure there are some people who seem to think that JS is a viable SEC QB .....but he's not even seriously practiced to perform that role in a couple of years. Sure he could run "wildcat" but that's not a full-game offense....but if it becomes necessary to use him for more than the wildcat, Gus is indeed in big trouble....JMO

Bryan Matthews @BMattAU

Yup.

Using any excuse to take a shot at the team he claims to pull for. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you ^^^ This guy^^^ ! :big:

So, I was surprised they didn't announce it last night, but my friend in the AD is saying it's JJ starting tomorrow night. Interesting conversation I had with him as well. He said some people in the AD are very unhappy, and he's very perplexed about the QB situation and the team as a whole. Funny someone on this thread brought it up, because my friend and I said the same thing. How far have we fallen where the coaches are trying to keep KENTUCKY guessing who our starting QB is. I'm sorry, I have no words for that, and my friend said that's one of the reasons people in the AD are in disbelief of the state of our program right now, resorting to mind games with Kentucky, TIFWIW...

To me, it is stupid to announce early, It does absolutely no good. Just because fans don't know who it is doesn't mean the players/coaches don't either. In football, coaches look for any advantage against an opponent no matter whom it is. To suggest that we are keeping it quiet due to us being scared of KY is asinine. We have all heard the saying, "On any given Saturday..." well, why would we not want to try and get some kind of leg up? It doesn't matter If it is JSU or LSU, coaches aren't going to reveal any part of their game planning.

Bryan Matthews @BMattAU

Yup.

Using any excuse to take a shot at the team he claims to pull for. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you ^^^ This guy^^^ ! :big:/>

A "shot"? I read it more as tongue in cheek, not a derogatory remark.

Bryan Matthews @BMattAU

Yup.

Using any excuse to take a shot at the team he claims to pull for. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you ^^^ This guy^^^ ! :big:

Not only did you swing at the wrong target, but you missed.

I think Jeremy gets the game time start and plays well. I think he may throw 1 interception in the first half but it won't take him out. However, if JJ plays horrifically Sean will come in early in the second quarter. What does Jeremy have to lose now? He already lost the starting job once so maybe this can take the pressure off of him a little.

It's interesting to me that so many have sources that leak info in the AD's office. That said you can think we are slipping because we are playing games with KU but this team is fighting to get in a bowl game and there are very few teams left that are close games. So I say why not keep the starter a secret. We have to win this game or our bowl chances are very slim. I hope we play 4 QB's (that would include Kerryon as a wildcat) if it will help us win the game. The objective is to win the game not be arrogant. If some of you want a moral victory and name the starter today so be it. But as for me I just want to win the game. It doesn't matter to me if we run 20 trick plays. I DON'T CARE!!!!!

Haven't seen anyone bring it up, and if it has, forgive me.

What are the chances we see a dual QB system? I know it goes against Gus's normal coaching style, but perhaps it could be somehow beneficial? Have SW work the field, then put JJ in the red zone? Or special designed packages for either QB if the situation calls for it? Obviously this would interrupt tempo if we are clicking. Would this be too detrimental to either QB's psyche? Naturally, if one is in a rhythm, keep him in.

Bryan Matthews @BMattAU

Yup.

It's a great day to be alive.

What a time to be alive is my favorite album out right now

It's interesting to me that so many have sources that leak info in the AD's office. That said you can think we are slipping because we are playing games with KU but this team is fighting to get in a bowl game and there are very few teams left that are close games. So I say why not keep the starter a secret. We have to win this game or our bowl chances are very slim. I hope we play 4 QB's (that would include Kerryon as a wildcat) if it will help us win the game. The objective is to win the game not be arrogant. If some of you want a moral victory and name the starter today so be it. But as for me I just want to win the game. It doesn't matter to me if we run 20 trick plays. I DON'T CARE!!!!!

Well, yeah, that was the joke I was making. I'm not saying it's a bad decision to withhold the info. It's just an indication of where our season is right now.

Archived