Will we see JJ at QB vs. UK?

AURealist

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still hearing JJ will start, FWIW....

I'm not doubting your source or his/her information, but what are the coaches trying to do this week by having a very public QB competition? If you know about JJ starting, I would think the team does and the credibility of the coaching staff suffers by prolonging this charade. If the media gets ahold of this information, no one will believe Gus again. I still hope this is a true QB competition and the team is the one that comes out the winner.

I woild put as much stock in those knowing who the starter is as those knowing who the new hc was going to be. Someone is bound to get it right. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see the wildcat with kj to start the game. Maybe a trick play toss?

Maybe they'll put jj and sw back there and let them fight over the snap.

I'm not doubting your source or his/her information, but what are the coaches trying to do this week by having a very public QB competition? If you know about JJ starting, I would think the team does and the credibility of the coaching staff suffers by prolonging this charade. If the media gets ahold of this information, no one will believe Gus again. I still hope this is a true QB competition and the team is the one that comes out the winner.

Coaches never tip their hand unless they have to. Now preparing for JJ or SW may not be a huge difference, but the coaches will take any advantage they can get, especially with our situation as of late. Wouldn't read too much into it.

Coaches never tip their hand unless they have to. Now preparing for JJ or SW may not be a huge difference, but the coaches will take any advantage they can get, especially with our situation as of late. Wouldn't read too much into it.

I probably am reading too much into the information. Stoops, being a defensive coach, will run blitz till we are 3rd and long, then it won't matter which QB we have in the game.

I also would like to point out that the first drive in the Miss St. game we saw Auburn's offense look very good for the first time this season. The rest of the game they moved the ball up and down the field and overcame penalties and poor play calling only to stall in the redzone. At that point I felt like we were one game away from having a decent offense with SW at the helm. Then the San Jose game Gus didn't let him throw the ball and our offense looked stagnant. I feel like SW could be the guy if Gus would call a balanced game. The fear I have though is that we are going to go back to JJ b/c he was supposed to be THE man, he plays poorly again and not only have you pissed off SW, the fans, and maybe the team, but then you have to start over again with SW. Timing on throws, the snap count, and the general cohesion on offense is very different between JJ and SW. If you keep going back and forth you are just making it harder on the players. (and the fans who have to watch the resulting mess)

Best looking drive of the year for sure, why haven't the playcalls looked like that? Not necessarily the success but there was a lot of variety I feel like (I could be wrong) and SW was making good throws until the interception

Gus seems to pull back when something goes wrong. I wish he'd just go full Spurrier and start throwing the kitchen sink when things go bad. It's not like we don't have some talent on the team.

AURealist you hit the nail on the head. SW throws an int in his very first start in his very first redzone trip and Gus throws the conservative lever on the offense. I swear you could see the change the very next drive. What WAS good though was even after that first great drive when the play calling went conservative we still moved the ball with SW in the game. Even handcuffed with short passes we at least moved the ball and even overcame some penalties. What was awful was we went even more conservative in the redzone and couldnt punch it in. That, and well my biggest gripe, not going for it 2 different times on 4th down, well inside the opponents side of the field with less than 2 yrds to go and everything to gain and NOTHING to lose. When he didn't go for those I said to myself Auburn is going to lose this game.

Really for both qb's most important thing that can happen is if we're able to run the ball.

It's Kentucky. We should be able to get some rushing yards on them. At least to the red zone - where the play-calling gets a bit squiffy.

Really for both qb's most important thing that can happen is if we're able to run the ball.

It's Kentucky. We should be able to get some rushing yards on them. At least to the red zone - where the play-calling gets a bit squiffy.

We didn't run well against Jax st...and Kentucky actually had an ok run defense last year but they lost two guys to the NFL too.

We didn't run well against Jax st...and Kentucky actually had an ok run defense last year but they lost two guys to the NFL too.

I think we'll be able to run it for yards. Not sure about points. We need the threat of a pass game. But Gus gets increasingly control-freakish when it gets dicey, so I'm expecting 10-14 pass attempts. We could actually lose this game.

If we can mostly stay in decent down and distance I think passing game will be ok. I think jj is better in the red zone so I don't know how that will work out if he doesn't start

I think we'll be able to run it for yards. Not sure about points. We need the threat of a pass game. But Gus gets increasingly control-freakish when it gets dicey, so I'm expecting 10-14 pass attempts. We could actually lose this game.

Not sure if serious.

Serious about what? Everything he said could be "realistic". I HOPE we pass more than 10-14 times, don't get control freakish by running every play and actually win the game...but seeing the bad side of all those is possible... Do you not agree?

Edit: I see you deleted that post.....may not have meant to respond to that exact quote.... If so, never mind lol

If JJ starts and fails, Gus will lose the team IMO.

What is "fail" ? JMO but if JJ starts and has problems after 15-20 minutes then he is back on the bench. If SW goes in and can't do the job either......then Gus is in trouble. .

What is "fail" ? JMO but if JJ starts and has problems after 15-20 minutes then he is back on the bench. If SW goes in and can't do the job either......then Gus is in trouble. .

Agreed.

Screw that. If they put JJ in over Sean after Sean has done nothing to lose the job, then what does that do to Sean if JJ fails? You're really gonna ask a kid to go back in again with the full knowledge that he's just a place holder until the coaches are ready to take another chance with JJ? If I am Sean White, at that point I'm putting out feelers and looking to transfer.

I really hope Malzahn isn't a big enough idiot to play this kind of game with his QB's. I have been and remain just about one of the biggest Malzahn fans there is, but if he makes this kind of move, he's making a mistake. (I was a huge JJ supporter prior to the season as well. But I don't believe in musical chairs at QB, and any coach that plays that game is playing a fool's game. JJ had his shot. Now, barring injury to Sean or Sean's failure on the field, JJ needs to sit until spring.)

Archived