Will we see JJ at QB vs. UK?

AURealist

If we see JJ in there it better be because SW is hurt and we are sunk if that happens. Everyone talks about all the potential JJ has... and that is based off essentially one half against an awful Arkansas team. The facts are that he stunk it up in 3 straight games. And he was lucky it wasnt ten ints and a few pick 6s. Sean needs to be allowed to play ball with no handcuffs if we are going to have a chance at winning games. I like SW for a number of reasons but the most important one to me is that he shows courage and gamesmanship. He wants to win and he gets fired up during the games which this teams needs. I feel like its contagious and if we have a real firey leader in at QB it will mask some other areas we need help in. Just my .02 cents.

That awful Arkansas team is probably better than any team White has faced

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I was against it, I'm actually kind of looking forward to JJ playing. I think it's wrong to pull the starting rug out from under Sean for so many reasons, but we need to find out who our qb for the year will be. Personally, I say we give JJ one more shot to see what he's got. If it's more of the same, go with White the rest of the year. That way there are no lingering questions on the issue.

I think we can win with either QB if we get decent play from defense like MSU game. I feel bad for SW. He did exactly what coaches wanted on every snap except for the one interception. He has been a little reckless carrying the ball maybe trying a little too hard. It's better to be lucky than good sometimes. Sean probably hasn't learned the proper technique of hook slide but I'm sure this has been corrected. That being said, I'm fine with JJ getting the start and I'm sure Sean is as well.

Sean has done great and IMO has done everything that JJ couldn't. The way he's being treated by the coaches makes me think they haven't given up on JJ yet, which is understandable, but it looks really bad. As of now, I'm way more confident in Sean over JJ, but maybe, hopefully, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

WDE

If we see JJ in there it better be because SW is hurt and we are sunk if that happens. Everyone talks about all the potential JJ has... and that is based off essentially one half against an awful Arkansas team. The facts are that he stunk it up in 3 straight games. And he was lucky it wasnt ten ints and a few pick 6s. Sean needs to be allowed to play ball with no handcuffs if we are going to have a chance at winning games. I like SW for a number of reasons but the most important one to me is that he shows courage and gamesmanship. He wants to win and he gets fired up during the games which this teams needs. I feel like its contagious and if we have a real firey leader in at QB it will mask some other areas we need help in. Just my .02 cents.

That awful Arkansas team is probably better than any team White has faced

Arkansas's defense that year was legit. The problem for that team was offense. They were very one dimensional. Sean White has faced two defenses that are nowhere near as good. SJSU has no athletes on defense. MSU is basically starting inexperienced new guys. I'm not sure I buy the "Sean has played against harder competition" argument.

What if JJ starts and is JJ from the first three games? Then what? If JJ starts I hope he performs up to pre-season hype. I just think Gus would be making this move to show he was right about JJ all along.

I'm just concerned that reading defenses isn't something you just pick up in 3 weeks. Especially if he was at such an elementary level that he had shown in his 3 starts.

JJ might be able to come in and beat UK. However, unless we witness a miracle, I see him reverting back to his previous self against tougher d's like om, bama, etc. I've never seen that sort of thing fixed in less than a season or two in the college world, if at all.

You can knock msu, but their D is decent and SW did well against them for a first start. However, if they're going to run the same zone read crap and get SW killed you may as well bring JJ back and pray that the football gods clear the fog in his head when he drops back in the pocket.

SW hasn't shown a good ability to read defenses either same mistakes, threw into coverage hit some throws miss some, some wasn't his fault wr dropped, o line could protect better, play calling could've been better. People thinking it's a qb plug and play thing is mistaken.

Only way jj and SW get better is everybody gets better around them

SW hasn't shown a good ability to read defenses either same mistakes, threw into coverage hit some throws miss some, some wasn't his fault wr dropped, o line could protect better, play calling could've been better. People thinking it's a qb plug and play thing is mistaken.

Agree. But both have had crap coaching as well to this point.

wde

What if JJ starts and is JJ from the first three games? Then what? If JJ starts I hope he performs up to pre-season hype. I just think Gus would be making this move to show he was right about JJ all along.

I'm just concerned that reading defenses isn't something you just pick up in 3 weeks. Especially if he was at such an elementary level that he had shown in his 3 starts.

JJ might be able to come in and beat UK. However, unless we witness a miracle, I see him reverting back to his previous self against tougher d's like om, bama, etc. I've never seen that sort of thing fixed in less than a season or two in the college world, if at all.

You can knock msu, but their D is decent and SW did well against them for a first start. However, if they're going to run the same zone read crap and get SW killed you may as well bring JJ back and pray that the football gods clear the fog in his head when he drops back in the pocket.

Arkansas' defense last season may have been better, but they obviously didn't have much of a plan how to defend JJ. The big differences between last year and this year are at AU, so it doesn't really matter if last year's Arkansas team was better or worse.

What you saw in that game was HS JJ - a QB with a decent offensive line and competent receivers against loose coverage to prevent the big play.

What we've seen this year is more HS JJ with poor pass protection, weak O-line and a lackluster receiver corps against competent pass coverage. It's been the same for SW.

Until the offense as a unit gets better, it might make no difference whatsoever who is in at QB.

Weird season...

After seeing JJ and his first half against Arky last year we knew we had a playmaker on our hands.

I believe that none of the coaching staff saw this coming with JJ. Hell, even when the SEC Network commentators stopped by practice they noted how he looked the part. Accurate passes, checking down, etc.

A higher source on this board said something about a week or two ago hearing some "rumblings" that may have attributed to JJ's issues mentally. It was also noted that none of it was ever confirmed.

Anyways, let the best player play.

Arkansas' defense last season may have been better, but they obviously didn't have much of a plan how to defend JJ. The big differences between last year and this year are at AU, so it doesn't really matter if last year's Arkansas team was better or worse.

What you saw in that game was HS JJ - a QB with a decent offensive line and competent receivers against loose coverage to prevent the big play.

What we've seen this year is more HS JJ with poor pass protection, weak O-line and a lackluster receiver corps against competent pass coverage. It's been the same for SW.

Until the offense as a unit gets better, it might make no difference whatsoever who is in at QB.

What I've been trying to say. If you keep placing both guys in 3rd and 9's all the time neither one will look good. One reason why we haven't had many explosive plays is because we aren't ever in 2nd and 4 or 3rd and 1's. We've been setting the qb's up to fail

He hasn't been a world beater and has made one really bad throw and a few into tight coverage. He hasn't looked nearly as bad as JJ. JJ throws the right at the db's and lb's like he's colorblind. Let's not forget the sure pick 6 the lsu db graciously dropped at he half as well.

The last pick against loisville he was rolling to the sidelines and for the last few steps he was looking at the receiver and the db was between him and the receiver and he threw the ball like the db wasn't even there (but he was) like he expected it to go right through him.

That's what I mean by I've never seen that kind of thing fixed in less than a season or two if at all, but I've been shocked before so you never know. Like I said, if we can modify Gus' bubble gum offense SW may not be the guy to run it. I don't think JJ is either, but he can take the physical abuse better.

Well don't forget SW int that was dropped or the lob that the corner jumped early on. Or the 4 fumbles either. Both qb's needs to be coached up. Of course that's just my opinion. I respect yours is SW played better. Mine is they look to have around the same productivity to me.

Well don't forget SW int that was dropped or the lob that the corner jumped early on. Or the 4 fumbles either. Both qb's needs to be coached up. Of course that's just my opinion. I respect yours is SW played better. Mine is they look to have around the same productivity to me.

I hear ya. One thing I will say is the announcers said the guy jumped early, and he acted like he thought he could have made the play, but it looked to me like he timed it well he just couldn't get it. It looked like a dangerous throw but a well placed ball.

If SW is allowed to play and open it up I hope he is learning on the go and doesn't continue our int trend. If they continue to run him and can't protect him in the pocket we will probably see a fumble or two.

If JJ plays I hope it was mostly a nerves situation and he has calmed down. I just want us to win and I know both qb's do too.

One thing cam was great at that they even brag on him about in the NFL was how smart of a runner he is. I only saw him get tattooed once in college. Even if jj is a better size I doubt if he can be great at it. SW scared me with that hit he took....Reggie ragland catches him doing that he wouldn't be getting back up running the next play. I think that's a lack of coaching as well

One thing cam was great at that they even brag on him about in the NFL was how smart of a runner he is. I only saw him get tattooed once in college. Even if jj is a better size I doubt if he can be great at it. SW scared me with that hit he took....Reggie ragland catches him doing that he wouldn't be getting back up running the next play. I think that's a lack of coaching as well

Yep. Shoulda hook slid 5 yds earlier on that one. His value would be be as a situational and smart runner if he is used properly.

To me - the SW-JJ comparison is less about their numbers and more about their reactions. JJ just never seemed to be very decisive, especially when on the run. Maybe there wasn't an optimal place to go, however SW at least headed downfield in an all out attempt. As if he was going somewhere. With the biggest flaw being a lack of leadership. One has none because he's the kid, the backup, the RS-Freshman., and the other.... (well - better left unsaid)

. . . (just like he's been).

I wonder if part of JJ's problem was him trying too hard to get the ball to Duke. I know 2 of his picks where bad throws in his direction (maybe more?). Maybe some of the decision problems where a result of him holding on too long to wait for him to open up. Just a gut feeling we see JJ this Thursday.

Also, I cant blame the coaches for not naming a starter. Seems we need the competition each week.

QBs will throw picks. Yeah JJ had some bad ones but for the most part I think he was hurt by not getting much help around him, including playcalling. Jared Goff, Cal's QB, is rated as maybe the top prospect at the position and he threw 5 INTs last night. If Jeremy is constantly outperforming Sean in the eyes of the coaches then he deserves another shot.

I saw a Fox Sports article that hinted towards Jason Smith starting at QB. But I think it was based off of an unverified tweet by someone.

I'm no insider by any stretch but I've heard and read the same.

I saw a Fox Sports article that hinted towards Jason Smith starting at QB. But I think it was based off of an unverified tweet by someone.

I really hope it hasn't gotten that bad that we got a revolving door at QB

If Jason is starting, it's gonna look dead like 2013 though (except lesser talent)

Well, if the staff is going for that completely lost and totally desperate look, that should do it.

I really hope it hasn't gotten that bad that we got a revolving door at QB

If Jason is starting, it's gonna look dead like 2013 though (except lesser talent)

Was 2013 really dead for you?

I saw that too but it's the only place other than some wishful thinking on this board I have seen that. My gut feeling is JJ starts Thursday.

Archived