Will we see JJ at QB vs. UK?

AURealist

So who here feels that DW may have been a big factor in JJs struggles (being they were roommates) and that this news of DW being no longer enrolled (meaning no longer JJs roommate) could give JJ the relief he needed to become the old JJ? I don't think he should start, because I believe that puts the pressure right back on him...and I'm not sold on him being a better overall option than SW, but the DW situation has brought me to wonder how JJ would do coming off the bench to run a few series (off the bench gives no time for nerves) now that it's possible his bad influence and attitude inhibitor may be gone. Unless SW is lighting it up against KY (which is possible), I do think it would be appropriate to give JJ a series or 2 if possible. His struggles just got a lot more interesting with the DW confirmation and the fact that they were roommates. I'll get my popcorn ready...

Duke could do nothing bad enough to force this man to throw into triple coverage

Getting him involved in "extracurricular" activities can limit ones ability to make quick decisions properly, so I'd say judging by Dukes recent fit of rage, its a possibility.

It's real easy to form scapegoats, isn't it?

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see JJ come back and succeed. I don't think Gus hurt Sean's mental state in the process either.

For some reason, a lot of fans just assume that Gus promised Sean the job for the rest of the season and that it now might get ripped from his unsuspecting hands. Obviously, that's going to wreck the kid for life and Momma's going to have to come pick him up in the family truckster.

OR... maybe everybody knew all along that it was conditional and temporary and Sean's just psyched that he got some snaps.

I would like to see JJ come back and succeed. I don't think Gus hurt Sean's mental state in the process either.

For some reason, a lot of fans just assume that Gus promised Sean the job for the rest of the season and that it now might get ripped from his unsuspecting hands. Obviously, that's going to wreck the kid for life and Momma's going to have to come pick him up in the family truckster.

OR... maybe everybody knew all along that it was conditional and temporary and Sean's just psyched that he got some snaps.

Yeah, I'm not sure why more people aren't considering that perhaps Gus let SW know ahead of time that he was going to start to give JJ time to get his mind right.

SW hasn't performed so poorly that he doesn't stand a shot at getting more snaps as the season advances.

Yeah, I'm not sure why more people aren't considering that perhaps Gus let SW know ahead of time that he was going to start to give JJ time to get his mind right.

If this is truly the case then I don't have a problem with giving JJ another chance. If not, then I believe Gus will make a mistake by starting JJ against UK.

wde

SW hasn't performed so poorly that he doesn't stand a shot at getting more snaps as the season advances.

I have considered that. And I have also thought that maybe Gus did not want a QB controversy so he made sure Sean didnt throw a lot of passes last game either.

I don't think a coach would say that to a player. Your QB needs to go in thinking this is his job now, especially given the circumstances of the original starter leading the country in interceptions. Maybe it was Gus' plan the whole time, but I doubt they gave SW a time table of how long he will be a starter for before he even took his first snap. That just doesn't seem realistic to me but I am definitely no expert

What if JJ starts and is JJ from the first three games? Then what? If JJ starts I hope he performs up to pre-season hype. I just think Gus would be making this move to show he was right about JJ all along.

Neither JJ or SW are vastly superior to each other, so it makes more sense that Gus used SW's two games as an opportunity for JJ to clear his mind and perhaps see mistakes he could correct.

If JJ struggles against UK, I don't think Gus would balk at the chance of putting SW back in.

What if JJ starts and is JJ from the first three games? Then what? If JJ starts I hope he performs up to pre-season hype. I just think Gus would be making this move to show he was right about JJ all along.

Then he will bench him and put White back in. This is JJ's second chance at proving himself.

I'm just concerned that reading defenses isn't something you just pick up in 3 weeks. Especially if he was at such an elementary level that he had shown in his 3 starts.

I'm just concerned that reading defenses isn't something you just pick up in 3 weeks. Especially if he was at such an elementary level that he had shown in his 3 starts.

You could be right....but if that's so, we should know pretty quickly the next time he is on the field....and IMO this is a case of 2 strikes and he is out..

It is not. However; Gus runs an elementary level O that does not require the QB to read defenses. Gus' O is predicated on fooling the D to the point that specific pass plays result in the receiver being wide open so the QB does not have to read the D. The problem is, Gus' O is not working like he designed in any way, shape or fashion. I always thought Chizik put the muzzle on Gus in 2011. Now, I am not so sure.

wde

You could be right....but if that's so, we should know pretty quickly the next time he is on the field....and IMO this is a case of 2 strikes and he is out..

I agree. He may get pulled if he throws another interception, depending who's fault it was.

It is not. However; Gus runs an elementary level O that does not require the QB to read defenses. Gus' O is predicated on fooling the D to the point that specific pass plays result in the receiver being wide open so the QB does not have to read the D. The problem is, Gus' O is not working like he designed in any way, shape or fashion. I always thought Chizik put the muzzle on Gus in 2011. Now, I am not so sure.

wde

This definitely feels like some version of the 2011 stuck in the mud offense to me

Yup I don't think you can leave him out there if he's making similar mistakes.

wde

dude any offense requires the qb to read the coverage to some extent. have you not heard the word "progressions".

The fact that we are even having this discussion is a positive thing. We all have our doubts and uncertainties the coaches as well. But since both guys have had some SEC experience, maybe Gus will not be so hesitant to make a change during the game if the starting QB is frustrated and making mental mistakes. And just maybe he won't wait until the game is hopeless before giving the backup a shot to provide that spark. It also gives opponent something to think about. Regardless of the offense they are two very different QBs with different skill sets. Hopefully this is a moot point and we dominate with whoever starts the game. I'm more concerned right now about the defense giving the offense a spark making some big stops, 3rd and long or 3rd and short.

Fair to whom ?

If the loser who's been dismal comes in and flounders again then what's Gus going to do.... open up the playbook for the new kid ?

After handcuffing him with a deficit?

It'd be better perhaps to come out blazing and then with about a 4TD lead....then let the backup have a go at it. Of course developing a backup QB or RB hasn't really been the Gus way. For if it was then an unknown truth about quarterback development would have been seen before this season began ( and the last was end.)

As for looking good in practice. Who's he looking good against? ...... (This Defense)..... No to be an A'hole. but who hasn't looked good against them this year. Telling me that our QB has made the turn for the better against no a pass rush.... non-tackling... non-run-stopping.... porous secondary.... is not really all that convincing of a statement. He could be totally excelling and still not be effective in this league.

((Again... let the best man win!!!))

wde

dude any offense requires the qb to read the coverage to some extent. have you not heard the word "progressions".

OK, you got me. I was too general. Gus' O is still elementary in terms of its passing game and my overall point stands.

wde

I've heard no rumors to support the idea. I'm not talking rumors. I'm asking for opinions.

Gus' praise seems a bit tepid when he speaks of SW at QB. And while he says SW will be the starter before games, but does anyone on staff actually speak of him as "the starter"? The offense isn't being altered for a passing QB. Ten pass plays?! SW is being asked to run like a DTQB. I'm actually concerned that he's is going to get hurt running the ball. Is he just a stand-in until JJ's head clears?

By game day it will have been a month since the switch. It's not unreasonable to think that Gus and Rhett probably still believe in their original assessment of JJ's ability to run this offense. And they, like so many folks here, might be getting desperate, so...

Will we see JJ play QB against Kentucky? Should JJ play QB against Kentucky?

Probably as much hope as expectation, but

Yes and Yes.

With a bye week, Mr. White (practicing with the ones) masters reading the hand-off/short-pass options and a couple of pop-pass plays, and is given the keys, the gas pedal, and the start.

With a bye week, the front seven comes together.

With a bye week, Mr. Johnson (practicing with the twos) hones the inside reads with deep-pass options.

At the half, with Auburn (after 45 plays) up 24-7 (one defensive touchdown), Mr. Johnson is given mop-up for the 2nd.

Against a wearing-thin KY D, Mr. Johnson plays light out, wins the game (48-17) and the start against Arky.

Auburn wins out (with a pretty decent Bowl).

Mr. White gets considerable playing time in the second half of every game.

Mr. Johnson wins the Heisman, and goes pro early.

or, I could be wrong.

wde

OK, you got me. I was too general. Gus' O is still elementary in terms of its passing game and my overall point stands.

wde

ok, yea, i think gus offense is elementary in some ways but complicated to learn in the beginning.

One should not blame Duke for JJ throwing straight to the other team, but one sure can blame Duke for not helping out his QB. Duke's play was horrible. He was lazy on the field and disinterested. The only thing that he was interested in, apparently, was fighting.

Well, JJ's last int was mostly on duke. Duke pulled up on his route and a ball that would have hit him in the hands hit the lsu DB in the hands instead.

Archived