Will we see JJ at QB vs. UK?

AURealist

Interesting. I think 64 is completely right that there's more to naming the starter than what we see in the games. I also think he's right that the coaches have seen more of both players than any of us. That's not to say that what they do in the games doesn't matter. It's also not to say that other emotions won't factor into their decision. I thought it was a pretty uncontroversial post.

:dunno:

Maybe some examples would be in order? Ultimately, all things being equal, the W-L record is the primary indicator of a program's success and that's perfectly apparent on the field of play. The decision process is of particular interest in this case where the coaching staff seems convinced that one player is so much better than another and yet is not playing him.

Like ( :poke: maybe) for instance how starting JJ....who's not lived up to his press this year, and who's utterly failed under pressure, and has not been executing the tasks at hand (going through reads, making good passes, running like a girl.... would be like starting another D'haquille Williams all over again. Not that he's a brawler, heaven help himself if he was, but rather starting in place of someone who's willing to do what it takes to get the job done. And without letting his teammates down.

Despite JJ lookng awesome on the practice field and (supposedly) fantastic against Arkansas last year, stand-in SW is starting at QB because he looks better on game day now. That's W-L taking precedence over 2 years of hype and hopes. Field performance seems to still be the main determinant of who starts but coaching expertise, past experience, feelings, hopes and dreams determine who gets named 'the starter' - at least for now.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really, really looks like there are going to be some disappointed people come next Thursday night when the offense goes out for our first possession and JJ is the starting QB. I am also loving the unnecessary jabs you guys are giving him. Has he made mistakes? Hell yea. I feel like I am defending him, but only because I wonder why so many of you don't understand why Gus wants JJ back in. From what I'm hearing, JJ is taking majority of the 1st team snaps as of this week, and is slated to start. Gus wants this offense to be more dynamic, and JJ can IF he corrects his mistakes. From the people in the know that I know, Gus feels that JJ has corrected his mistakes, and they want to see how he does next week. If JJ continues with his mistakes, you'll see your boy SW. Sorry for the bad news for some of you, but JJ is starting next week....

Really, really looks like there are going to be some disappointed people come next Thursday night when the offense goes out for our first possession and JJ is the starting QB. I am also loving the unnecessary jabs you guys are giving him. Has he made mistakes? Hell yea. I feel like I am defending him, but only because I wonder why so many of you don't understand why Gus wants JJ back in. From what I'm hearing, JJ is taking majority of the 1st team snaps as of this week, and is slated to start. Gus wants this offense to be more dynamic, and JJ can IF he corrects his mistakes. From the people in the know that I know, Gus feels that JJ has corrected his mistakes, and they want to see how he does next week. If JJ continues with his mistakes, you'll see your boy SW. Sorry for the bad news for some of you, but JJ is starting next week....

I couldn't care less if it was Sean or if it was possibly JWall or Tyler or Tucker. or possibly even be Jason Smith.... or even Jeremy. It's not my call.

However if something walls like a duck, and quacks like a duck, (and drops ****) like a duck, then best chances are it's a duck. And we've yet to play even one quality SEC quarterback. Gus is going to....and should be putting in the best guy Auburn has to offer.... and that is no personal attack it's a personnel one. And saying the young man has been running like a girl, is not an unwarranted slight, but rather an observation of what he's offered up for up for the whole wide world to see. He's frankly laid an egg and it's not one worn from our throw, but rather earned in public display for all the world to see.

Behind closed doors (in practice) is like what men and women do, it belongs there behind closed doors and not for all the world to see. At least that's the lesson or my take for this year, it'll been better to not know what's been going on there, and the unwarranted demands, expectations, and pressure would not have been so severe as they've been for this team. May the best man win!!!

Don't know where u get your info, but if correct there is only 1 option for this team to not fold completely and that is for JJ to light it up. If he starts and has the same issues and we lose to KY because of bad coaching decisions playing the wrong players, the team will be lost and likely start to give up for the rest of the year. Starting JJ is by far the WORST decision that could be made. If he is to play at all it has got to be off the bench for multiple reasons.

Don't know where u get your info, but if correct there is only 1 option for this team to not fold completely and that is for JJ to light it up. If he starts and has the same issues and we lose to KY because of bad coaching decisions playing the wrong players, the team will be lost and likely start to give up for the rest of the year. Starting JJ is by far the WORST decision that could be made. If he is to play at all it has got to be off the bench for multiple reasons.

I tend to agree with this.

Interesting. I think 64 is completely right that there's more to naming the starter than what we see in the games. I also think he's right that the coaches have seen more of both players than any of us. That's not to say that what they do in the games doesn't matter. It's also not to say that other emotions won't factor into their decision. I thought it was a pretty uncontroversial post.

:dunno:

Maybe some examples would be in order? Ultimately, all things being equal, the W-L record is the primary indicator of a program's success and that's perfectly apparent on the field of play. The decision process is of particular interest in this case where the coaching staff seems convinced that one player is so much better than another and yet is not playing him.

Like ( :poke: maybe) for instance how starting JJ....who's not lived up to his press this year, and who's utterly failed under pressure, and has not been executing the tasks at hand (going through reads, making good passes, running like a girl.... would be like starting another D'haquille Williams all over again. Not that he's a brawler, heaven help himself if he was, but rather starting in place of someone who's willing to do what it takes to get the job done. And without letting his teammates down.

I'm suggesting that 64's post is generally accurate in answer to the question of whether we will see JJ at QB against UK. I'm not arguing that we should see JJ at QB against UK.

I think SW should start, and that they should let him ball out (not limit him by calling only short passes, not predetermining the read, etc.). I think JJ should replace SW only if SW messes up under those circumstances. That's what I think should happen.

As for what will happen, Auburnguy101 is pretty dang confident that JJ will start. In fact, if JJ doesn't start, I'm not sure I'd frequent the boards for a while if I were Auburnguy101. WDE has also posted something like 'I'm hearing the JJ talk is for real' -- not a direct quote, but something that at least indicates that it's possible JJ will start. I also think 64 is right, and that the coaches will take more into account than our WL record under the two QBs in deciding who'll start. The idea that JJ could correct his mistakes is certainly plausible. I'm not in the crowd that thinks we've seen what JJ can do, and it stinks. I think we've seen what JJ did, and it stunk. Doesn't mean he can't improve.

So, in terms of prediciting what will happen on Thursday, I guess I think it could go either way, with a slight edge to them starting SW. I also think they coaches are definitely preparing JJ to play on Thursday, and that chances are better than 50/50 that we will see him during the game.

disagree with this.....starting JJ does not have a huge down side IMO.

Not saying they will leave him in the entire game. If he gets off to a bad start after a quarter or sok, then bring in SW and the debate is pretty much over.

Just saying, that if JJ does not get another chance, SW will not have the complete backing of the team and the fans 'cause there will always be a faction talking about JJ's speed, or his size or his great arm, etc.

I don't think JJ being second-string was ever intended to be a permanent decision. White was called upon as an emergency option to buy JJ some time to get his head straight. Now the coaches think enough time has passed and JJ will excel as expected earlier. If he doesn't, White will be right back out there. The situation is the same as if JJ had suffered some temporary injury. If he's well enough to go, he's the starter. If he tries and is not "well enough" White will go back in. It's not really that complicated.

People saying sw looks better at game day aren't being realistic. Just like you have to say he's being handcuffed so you don't know what he can really do you also have to acknowledge he hasn't had to do anything yet. Ten passes, three downfield lobs, 3 screen passes, 3 sideline throws, doesn't say hey he looks better.

disagree with this.....starting JJ does not have a huge down side IMO. Not saying they will leave him in the entire game. If he gets off to a bad start after a quarter or sok, then bring in SW and the debate is pretty much over. Just saying, that if JJ does not get another chance, SW will not have the complete backing of the team and the fans 'cause there will always be a faction talking about JJ's speed, or his size or his great arm, etc.

I don't think JJ being second-string was ever intended to be a permanent decision. White was called upon as an emergency option to buy JJ some time to get his head straight. Now the coaches think enough time has passed and JJ will excel as expected earlier. If he doesn't, White will be right back out there. The situation is the same as if JJ had suffered some temporary injury. If he's well enough to go, he's the starter. If he tries and is not "well enough" White will go back in. It's not really that complicated.

Agreed x2.

I just worry about making that move without white really playing bad and how that would effect team chemistry

disagree with this.....starting JJ does not have a huge down side IMO.

Not saying they will leave him in the entire game. If he gets off to a bad start after a quarter or sok, then bring in SW and the debate is pretty much over.

Just saying, that if JJ does not get another chance, SW will not have the complete backing of the team and the fans 'cause there will always be a faction talking about JJ's speed, or his size or his great arm, etc.

Agree with this assessment.

By gametime, It will have been a month since JJ has played at QB. If he doesn't try to make his return against UK, then when?

Gus and JJ need to settle this argument. The only way to do that is to get JJ out there and see what he's got, or, to your point, the team and a large percentage of the fanbase won't be able to let the JJ dream go. Of course, if JJ's play is merely 'satisfactory' and remains the starter, some of SW backers are gonna whine...

Not sure about pulling him at the half if he flops, though. How bad does he need to be for how long before the base (and staff) is willing to let go of the dream? I'd hate SW's season to be plagued with expectations of JJ's Return II, III and IV. The next step might be to see if he can play through it - starting for a few games no matter how he plays?

The best thing for everyone is that JJ starts against UK and plays like a champ, so that's my hope.

No pressure, Jeremy.

I just worry about making that move without white really playing bad and how that would effect team chemistry

If JJ does start, my problem/concern is not with JJ, it is how Gus has handled the situation (unless SW and team knew from the beginning that SW was just a fill in until JJ was mentally ready to start again).

wde

I'm no longer assuming that Gus & Co. know how to manage a team's emotions very well, but I do think that the chances are at least 50/50 (sup golf) that everybody knew all along that White was a placeholder.

Side note: I think JJ might actually feel less pressure in Lexington than he would at Jordan-Hare right now. I realize he bricked at LSU, too, but that was right on the heels of 2 bad outings. I like the move if it happens.

Really, really looks like there are going to be some disappointed people come next Thursday night when the offense goes out for our first possession and JJ is the starting QB.

This is not when I will be disappointed, I'll be disappointed if we loose not matter which QB starts. I just do not have the confidence that you do, JJ has cured all of his ills. It's not my call who starts and that is why Gus will make that call, so I will enjoy the game and hope for the best.

People saying sw looks better at game day aren't being realistic. Just like you have to say he's being handcuffed so you don't know what he can really do you also have to acknowledge he hasn't had to do anything yet. Ten passes, three downfield lobs, 3 screen passes, 3 sideline throws, doesn't say hey he looks better.

Statistically speaking, you are correct, however, SW has hung in and made acurate throws when he knew he was going to be hit. SW has also creates space when he needed to as defenders get too close. I have not seen that from JJ and I don't know how he can overcome these tendancies in practice. That being said, I will hope for the best and look forward to an Auburn victory at Lexington.

Thanks for the info on practice. I think everybody appreciates your updates on what's happening.

I believe most people expected JJ to come back at some point. It probably would have been easier on everyone if Gus had JJ fake a hand or rib injury or something so that nobody made the mental shift from JJ to SW before JJ had another chance at QB...

Everyone knows why Gus wants to play JJ over SW. Potential and investment. The issue isn't that people don't like JJ, it's that some fans aren't taking Gus' opinion of his abilities over their own lying eyes. The only way to solve the argument is to get JJ back in the game. And if you're correct, that'll be 8 days from now.

Thanks again.

WDE

Statistically speaking, you are correct, however, SW has hung in and made acurate throws when he knew he was going to be hit. SW has also creates space when he needed to as defenders get too close. I have not seen that from JJ and I don't know how he can overcome these tendancies in practice. That being said, I will hope for the best and look forward to an Auburn victory at Lexington.

He's also lucked out on virtually all of his downfield throws. He went 6-10 last week and two of his passes were horrible throws that our receivers managed to come down with. White looks very good in the short passing game, but this offense needs to go vertical more. From what I've seen, I'm not sure his arm is strong enough to take a lot of vertical shots. There are ways of improving arm strength, so White may one day be the guy. Right now, I'm not sure he can give us the big passing play.

Right now, Gus has a choice of explosive plays but potentially more mistakes with Johnson vs. conservative underneath throws with Whitethat may handcuff our running plays. The question is which is more important.

Considering how much Gus has stressed the need for big plays, I'm guessing that Johnson will start. However, I wouldn't be surprised if it was white. If we do go with Johnson though, I hope he's gotten over this mental stuff that has slowed him down.

If JJ starts I hope he is fantastic and I am wrong about my views of him that I developed after his first three games. He is a great young man who has shown himself to be a real Auburn man. All throughout Spring and Fall the coaches raved about how well he looked in Practice then when game time came he didn't perform very well. Now again apparently he is playing well in practice so they are starting to talk about him starting. Is practice different now is the defense allowed to hit the QB because if not all we know is that under the same restricted Practice format where QB knows he is not going to be hit he plays well.

The other option is that in practice SW is as limited as we have seen him in games and it is not play calling but that is all he is capable of doing at this time. I don't know who will start against KY if JJ I want him to be great if SW I want him to be great. What I would like is a short lease on the QB so if JJ and he looks like first three games he is pulled quickly and if SW and his play is hurting us we pull him quickly also.

My preference is that SW has played the better of the two during games so should at least start but if he doesn't I will go with coaches judgment and cheer like heck for JJ.

So who here feels that DW may have been a big factor in JJs struggles (being they were roommates) and that this news of DW being no longer enrolled (meaning no longer JJs roommate) could give JJ the relief he needed to become the old JJ? I don't think he should start, because I believe that puts the pressure right back on him...and I'm not sold on him being a better overall option than SW, but the DW situation has brought me to wonder how JJ would do coming off the bench to run a few series (off the bench gives no time for nerves) now that it's possible his bad influence and attitude inhibitor may be gone. Unless SW is lighting it up against KY (which is possible), I do think it would be appropriate to give JJ a series or 2 if possible. His struggles just got a lot more interesting with the DW confirmation and the fact that they were roommates. I'll get my popcorn ready...

Duke could do nothing bad enough to force this man to throw into triple coverage

I hope they have at least let the defense do a little "thud" practice on JJ ... of course that assumes they can get to him ... I would feel more comfortable if JJ were taking some real hits in practice and he knew they were coming.

One should not blame Duke for JJ throwing straight to the other team, but one sure can blame Duke for not helping out his QB. Duke's play was horrible. He was lazy on the field and disinterested. The only thing that he was interested in, apparently, was fighting.

So who here feels that DW may have been a big factor in JJs struggles (being they were roommates) and that this news of DW being no longer enrolled (meaning no longer JJs roommate) could give JJ the relief he needed to become the old JJ? I don't think he should start, because I believe that puts the pressure right back on him...and I'm not sold on him being a better overall option than SW, but the DW situation has brought me to wonder how JJ would do coming off the bench to run a few series (off the bench gives no time for nerves) now that it's possible his bad influence and attitude inhibitor may be gone. Unless SW is lighting it up against KY (which is possible), I do think it would be appropriate to give JJ a series or 2 if possible. His struggles just got a lot more interesting with the DW confirmation and the fact that they were roommates. I'll get my popcorn ready...

Duke could do nothing bad enough to force this man to throw into triple coverage

Getting him involved in "extracurricular" activities can limit ones ability to make quick decisions properly, so I'd say judging by Dukes recent fit of rage, its a possibility.

If we Start JJ and we lose because he plays like crap than I will be ready to see heads roll. Sean has played admirably if not great. just hasn't had a chance because of coaching and WRs dropping passes left and right. The fact JJ is even in the discussion is stupid. I love the guy but he doesn't have the confidence to be QB. Hope I am wrong and JJ becomes awesome but I cant see it and Sean White is much more decisive and reacts correctly.

Archived