Duke Williams dismissed

mustache eagle

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think these young men understand how much some of us fans would do to be in their position. This reminds me of the loss of Michael Dyer. I was upset about the loss of talent but ultimately I understood the reasoning.

I hope duke can clean up his life. He's not a kid. He's a big boy. Hind sight is always 20/20. This could hurt or help a lot if things. The team has to rally. I'm glad he is holding players accountable for their actions.

Best of luck to Duke in the future. Hope he learns from this. I hope this opens some highlight reals for Melvin Ray. He is a guy who could have played for anyone but chose AU. He works hard and makes a lot of blocks for others. Maybe we can focus on players like him now, that do it right every day. WDE

Not sure how many chances he wanted but he exhausted them all ... as others have mentioned, he should have been gone on strike 2 ... looks like Malzahn and Co. finally had enough.

Yes, he was given far too many chances. Big mistake by Gus not to have dismissed him in fall camp. I am afraid this dismissal may be too little too late in terms of Gus trying to gain control of the team but glad Gus finally got rid of Duke.

wde

Duke is obviously a talented guy and I wish it had worked out for him (and us). But there are some ugly truths.

1 Duke didn't come back because of a love of Auburn, but to improve his draft position after getting his scout reviews. NFL scouts don't coddle prospects.

2. He got special treatment and began to think he was special. His position coach announced after Spring training that all other starting positions were open, but his position was secure, despite Myron Burton's Spring performance. I'm not saying Burton was better, but why a slap in the face to a talented receiver to powder the butt of a head case?

3. After Duke's fall suspension and the horse barn nonsense Gus said he could get back on the team, but he would have to work his way back up the depth chart from the bottom. Took him how long? Maybe a week? Again, Duke gets coddled and Burton gets slapped..

4. Burton, having received his second slap leaves - don't blame him at all. I saw Burton play in high school and the Spring game wasn't a fluke, The kid can play.

I know the Gucci quote was supposed to be cute, but it wasn't. It only showed a star-crossed mindset that hurt out team and cost us a good prospect who only wanted a fair shot at landing a job. I'm sure there was other collateral damage as well.

I hope Duke learns from this, gets it together, and is able to escape his downward spiral. I hope our coaches learn Gucci doesn't win football games, bur Carhartt does.

Can this season's trend toward the rise & fall in the Chizik era get any spookier? We now have our Michael Dyer incident to check off of a key (some would say critical) player getting dismissed. To go with the head scratching underachieving QBs, focus crash on the field and 2012 zero player morale if you watch them. Something radically good needs to happen to this team and very soon or the downward spiral will speed up...like 2012. A crazy lopsided win over Ky would be a very good elixir.

This is a sad situation all the way around. Sad for Duke on many levels. Sad for Auburn because of what he could have been and sad for other teams we play because when Duke was on the field they could tell what the play was based on what Duke did. If Duke gave it a full effort that meant the ball was supposed to come to him, if he didn't he took the play off and other defenses could tell the play was going somewhere else. I hope this is a wake up call for him but all in all it may help turn the team around.

Can this season's trend toward the rise & fall in the Chizik era get any spookier? We now have our Michael Dyer incident to check off of a key (some would say critical) player getting dismissed. To go with the head scratching underachieving QBs, focus crash on the field and 2012 zero player morale if you watch them. Something radically good needs to happen to this team and very soon or the downward spiral will speed up...like 2012. A crazy lopsided win over Ky would be a very good elixir.

or, is it all too much to overcome?

It was long over due. He had more chances than he should have had and he just didn't get it. Hopefully we can move forward now and be a team again.

What a sad situation! This young man has been lost for along time since being at AU and it was showing on and off the field. I only wish that someone could have showed him the way to conduct himself personally and professionally. Perhaps a AU WR currently playing in the NFL...please get it together young before its really to late.

What a sad situation! This young man has been lost for along time since being at AU and it was showing on and off the field. I only wish that someone could have showed him the way to conduct himself personally and professionally. Perhaps a AU WR currently playing in the NFL...please get it together young before its really to late.

Good thoughts.

I was unhappy that DW was getting so much playing time because IMO he did not seem to be earning it or giving his best...but mostly I was hoping that he could get things turned around.

It's no fun seeing a young man toss his opportunities away though this did not appear related to his lackadaisical attitude on the field.....so I don't give Gus much credit for "doing what needed to be done". I still wonder about discipline standards.

I'm also sad for the posters who seem to be rejoicing over this unfortunate situation. JMO but this is not a happy day for AU.

-Rumors of fighting

-Suspended bowl game(rumors of fighting)

-Offseason trouble(rumors of fighting)

-Dogging all season

-Dropped passes

-Terrible routes and blocking

-Fighting

This has been a long time coming. He was a cancer on the team, and it's good that he's gone.

Hell, Myron Burton may have even left the team because of how many chances Duke got.

I hate that our coaches don't have the balls to cut this s*** out early. It's playing out exactly like it did at the end of Chizik's tenure.

If this is true, it's really sad. I thought someone threw this out there in the 'MB leaves team' thread and it was debunked. Just going from memory.

-Rumors of fighting

-Dogging all season

-Dropped passes

-Fighting

This has been a long time coming. He was a cancer on the team, and it's good that he's gone.

Hell, Myron Burton may have even left the team because of how many chances Duke got.

I hate that our coaches don't have the balls to cut this s*** out early. It's playing out exactly like it did at the end of Chizik's tenure.

If this is true, it's really sad. I thought someone threw this out there in the 'MB leaves team' thread and it was debunked. Just going from memory.

Yep. That was me. SMH! We need Burton back on the team.

Back to D'haquille... Wish him the best and hope he will learn his lesson.

Duke is obviously a talented guy and I wish it had worked out for him (and us). But there are some ugly truths.

1 Duke didn't come back because of a love of Auburn, but to improve his draft position after getting his scout reviews. NFL scouts don't coddle prospects.

2. He got special treatment and began to think he was special. His position coach announced after Spring training that all other starting positions were open, but his position was secure, despite Myron Burton's Spring performance. I'm not saying Burton was better, but why a slap in the face to a talented receiver to powder the butt of a head case?

3. After Duke's fall suspension and the horse barn nonsense Gus said he could get back on the team, but he would have to work his way back up the depth chart from the bottom. Took him how long? Maybe a week? Again, Duke gets coddled and Burton gets slapped..

4. Burton, having received his second slap leaves - don't blame him at all. I saw Burton play in high school and the Spring game wasn't a fluke, The kid can play.

I know the Gucci quote was supposed to be cute, but it wasn't. It only showed a star-crossed mindset that hurt out team and cost us a good prospect who only wanted a fair shot at landing a job. I'm sure there was other collateral damage as well.

I hope Duke learns from this, gets it together, and is able to escape his downward spiral. I hope our coaches learn Gucci doesn't win football games, bur Carhartt does.

Is #2 true???

Let's not pretend like we could throw when he was here. It's a shame Gus and Co convinced him to stay abd wreck his NFL chances though.

As I am sue you know, he wrecked his own chances.

Just the beginning... Duke has just cost himself a million or 2

Possibly a million or two per season. This has been explained to him several times, but he just couldn't help himself.

Another sad story.

-Rumors of fighting

-Dogging all season

-Dropped passes

-Fighting

Yep. That was me. SMH! We need Burton back on the team.

Back to D'haquille... Wish him the best and hope he will learn his lesson.

I remember you started the thread saying we needed MB back (after SW was named starter for the week). The thhread here makes for interesting reading at this point. There was speculation when MB left that it had a lot to do with special treatment for Duke. It's just sad, if true.

Well, now the million dollar question is, what does this do the relationship between Gus and Coach Craig??? Duke was his boy. How does Coach Craig react to his guy being dismissed mid-season, essentially ruining his chances at a degree and the NFL (possibly)?

Personally, I'm glad Gus did this. I have no inside information, but from my observations, Duke was a cancer to this team. I watched him running around the field, avoiding contact, running sloppy routes, dropping routine passes, etc. The most telling action he made was in the SJSU game, when he recovered the onside kick. He sprinted to the sidelines, jumping and celebrating, but the entire time had this smart-ass grin on his face. Something didn't set well with me on that.

Oh well, I guess we'll see what happens from here. I hope it's not a complete self-destruction, and I hope Coach Craig is onboard with Gus.

Did not ruin his chances at a degree at all! Work hard in the classroom and earn you degree. Of course he won't, but it has everything to do with Duke and little to do with Gus.

Everything's not Gucci!!! Gus showed Duke the Dior. I'm Prada Gus for doing what he had to do, making Duke turn his Cardin. If Duke was our man, we gotta change the Chanel, bc Armani's gone now. I heard that when Gus gave him the news, Duke felt queasy and had to Ralph Lauren.

Well alrighty then

I hate to see us lose a kid with that much obvious talent, and I also hate it for Duke because I do think he had a chance to be a high draft choice. Everyone is frustrated at this point and I'm sure that played into some of his behavior issues, but I was just sick of seeing his body language. All we can do at this point is wish him the best and move on.

carl lawson ‏@carllawson14 2m2 minutes ago

Pray that you are able to learn from it and make a new path for yourself.

Carl making more sense than allot of posters on here.

carl lawson ‏@carllawson14 2m2 minutes ago

Pray that you are able to learn from it and make a new path for yourself.

Carl making more sense than allot of posters on here.

Duke has to learn to quit getting his tail kicked at the Skybar.

Archived