Duke Williams dismissed

mustache eagle

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Duke is obviously a talented guy and I wish it had worked out for him (and us). But there are some ugly truths.

1 Duke didn't come back because of a love of Auburn, but to improve his draft position after getting his scout reviews. NFL scouts don't coddle prospects.

2. He got special treatment and began to think he was special. His position coach announced after Spring training that all other starting positions were open, but his position was secure, despite Myron Burton's Spring performance. I'm not saying Burton was better, but why a slap in the face to a talented receiver to powder the butt of a head case?

3. After Duke's fall suspension and the horse barn nonsense Gus said he could get back on the team, but he would have to work his way back up the depth chart from the bottom. Took him how long? Maybe a week? Again, Duke gets coddled and Burton gets slapped..

4. Burton, having received his second slap leaves - don't blame him at all. I saw Burton play in high school and the Spring game wasn't a fluke, The kid can play.

I know the Gucci quote was supposed to be cute, but it wasn't. It only showed a star-crossed mindset that hurt out team and cost us a good prospect who only wanted a fair shot at landing a job. I'm sure there was other collateral damage as well.

I hope Duke learns from this, gets it together, and is able to escape his downward spiral. I hope our coaches learn Gucci doesn't win football games, bur Carhartt does.

Is #2 true???

Go to al.com and read their piece about his leaving.

Duke is obviously a talented guy and I wish it had worked out for him (and us). But there are some ugly truths.

1 Duke didn't come back because of a love of Auburn, but to improve his draft position after getting his scout reviews. NFL scouts don't coddle prospects.

2. He got special treatment and began to think he was special. His position coach announced after Spring training that all other starting positions were open, but his position was secure, despite Myron Burton's Spring performance. I'm not saying Burton was better, but why a slap in the face to a talented receiver to powder the butt of a head case?

3. After Duke's fall suspension and the horse barn nonsense Gus said he could get back on the team, but he would have to work his way back up the depth chart from the bottom. Took him how long? Maybe a week? Again, Duke gets coddled and Burton gets slapped..

4. Burton, having received his second slap leaves - don't blame him at all. I saw Burton play in high school and the Spring game wasn't a fluke, The kid can play.

I know the Gucci quote was supposed to be cute, but it wasn't. It only showed a star-crossed mindset that hurt out team and cost us a good prospect who only wanted a fair shot at landing a job. I'm sure there was other collateral damage as well.

I hope Duke learns from this, gets it together, and is able to escape his downward spiral. I hope our coaches learn Gucci doesn't win football games, bur Carhartt does.

Is #2 true???

I think Burton also got tired of playing football. I do believe he is still going to school at AU.

Is #2 true???

I think Burton also got tired of playing football. I do believe he is still going to school at AU.

I think he's trying out for baseball.

I'm hoping that Coach Muschamp can help Gus see the light on the corrosive effects of favoritism/leniency for bad actors. Will seems to have learned from his time at UF and isn't putting up with any crap. Cutting that s*** out completely organization-wide would be a big step for Gus toward salvaging this season and recruiting from here on out.

Everything's not Gucci!!! Gus showed Duke the Dior. I'm Prada Gus for doing what he had to do, making Duke turn his Cardin. If Duke was our man, we gotta change the Chanel, bc Armani's gone now. I heard that when Gus gave him the news, Duke felt queasy and had to Ralph Lauren.

I'd like to say you made an Anne Vallerie Hash out of that, but you showed youself to be a real Ann Demeulemeester of the form. Even so, many will call for the powers that be to Boris Banovic you. I wouldn't suggest you repeat anything like this -- could Lacoste you your posting privileges.

I don't know but I'm just going to say the I'd put the chances that Burton left because of DW getting back on the team is no greater than 15%

I'm hoping that Coach Muschamp can help Gus see the light on the corrosive effects of favoritism/leniency for bad actors. Will seems to have learned from his time at UF and isn't putting up with any crap. Cutting that s*** out completely organization-wide would be a big step for Gus toward salvaging this season and recruiting from here on out.

Yep.

I don't know but I'm just going to say the I'd put the chances that Burton left because of DW getting back on the team is no greater than 15%

I do know for a fact Burton was upset about his playing time and it did have a factor on him leaving. Didn't want to put in all of the hard work to just sit on the bench. Lots of this going around this team right now.

I do know for a fact Burton was upset about his playing time and it did have a factor on him leaving. Didn't want to put in all of the hard work to just sit on the bench. Lots of this going around this team right now.

We need Burton back (I don't care if anyone disagrees with me).

We should only be playing the players who put in the hard work at practice. I'm not suggesting that hard work guarantees playing time; but your shouldn't be able to get on the field without it.

It was long over due. He had more chances than he should have had and he just didn't get it. Hopefully we can move forward now and be a team again.

I agree. I would be willing to go out on a limb and say the publicized incidents were not the only things that led to this decision.

Seems from what I've seen over his time at AU, Gus is willing to put up with a lot from players who he thinks will help the team on the field. Maybe he thinks he is doing God's work but he seems to have his favorites and goes the extra mile or two for them.

I can believe that, but I can't believe it's just because of DW. That sounds more like a forum excuse than any athlete I've ever seen. Duke was more proven but there wasn't any reason he couldn't beat out any other wr on the team.

Imo we do not rotate and haven't ever rotated wr or hb's enough. If I was Tony Stevens I would have transferred this year. I think he probably thought about it during the summer and that's why Gus and RL kept bringing him up during reports as if he was going to play more

Seems from what I've seen over his time at AU, Gus is willing to put up with a lot from players who he thinks will help the team on the field. Maybe he thinks he is doing God's work but he seems to have his favorites and goes the extra mile or two for them.

I'm the last to say that Gus should treat every player the same way. There has to be room for judgment. However, he needs to be aware of what message he's sending to the rest of the team when he appears to coddle players. It's not good at all.

Sad to see a young man throw away potential, I hope he gets it togther for his life. BUT.........

He was a huge downer for the offense and the opposite of a leader, he needs time to figure out what motivates him because its not football. In the meantime I hope this opens up Melvin and Louis to be strong leaders during the off week.

War Eagle!

-Rumors of fighting

-Suspended bowl game(rumors of fighting)

-Offseason trouble(rumors of fighting)

-Dogging all season

-Dropped passes

-Terrible routes and blocking

-Fighting

This has been a long time coming. He was a cancer on the team, and it's good that he's gone.

Hell, Myron Burton may have even left the team because of how many chances Duke got.

I hate that our coaches don't have the balls to cut this s*** out early. It's playing out exactly like it did at the end of Chizik's tenure.

If this is true, it's really sad. I thought someone threw this out there in the 'MB leaves team' thread and it was debunked. Just going from memory.

Yep. That was me. SMH! We need Burton back on the team.

Back to D'haquille... Wish him the best and hope he will learn his lesson.

I remember you started the thread saying we needed MB back (after SW was named starter for the week). The thhread here makes for interesting reading at this point. There was speculation when MB left that it had a lot to do with special treatment for Duke. It's just sad, if true.

It is sad but it is also a lesson in quitting. If MB doesn't quite, he is probably a starter Thur (week) evening. Gus and DC probably gave Duke too many chances, but the quitting is on MB, just like the constant on and off field fighting is on Duke.

-Rumors of fighting

-Dogging all season

-Dropped passes

-Fighting

This has been a long time coming. He was a cancer on the team, and it's good that he's gone.

Hell, Myron Burton may have even left the team because of how many chances Duke got.

I hate that our coaches don't have the balls to cut this s*** out early. It's playing out exactly like it did at the end of Chizik's tenure.

If this is true, it's really sad. I thought someone threw this out there in the 'MB leaves team' thread and it was debunked. Just going from memory.

I remember you started the thread saying we needed MB back (after SW was named starter for the week). The thhread here makes for interesting reading at this point. There was speculation when MB left that it had a lot to do with special treatment for Duke. It's just sad, if true.

It is sad but it is also a lesson in quitting. If MB doesn't quite, he is probably a starter Thur (week) evening. Gus and DC probably gave Duke too many chances, but the quitting is on MB, just like the constant on and off field fighting is on Duke.

I agree with that, probably to a fault. Sometimes it's actually better to know when to say when.

carl lawson ‏@carllawson14 2m2 minutes ago

Pray that you are able to learn from it and make a new path for yourself.

Carl making more sense than allot of posters on here.

Duke has to learn to quit getting his tail kicked at the Skybar.

I do wonder how many say....6' 5" 280 lbs guys are hanging out at the sky bar, giving Duke a hard time? My point: How is he getting into these fights and getting his behind kicked?

I have a lot of respect for Gus for doing this. However, all of you who think Duke was the reason we are losing, was a trouble maker in the locker room are poorly mistaken! He is not the reason we suck. All of you praising this and this kid losing his dream need to take a step back. He raised the level last year, he took a chance on us when we were not a passing team, he helped us last year and really could have done things this. This is disappointing and he needs some encouragement.

War eagle Duke.

Maybe you and Duke should peruse the first two sentences of the Auburn Creed. Took a chance on us? One person is not bigger than the whole. That's what's wrong with the Millennial Generation now.

-Rumors of fighting

-Dogging all season

-Dropped passes

-Fighting

I agree with that, probably to a fault. Sometimes it's actually better to know when to say when.

Thanks Britt, was hopping I didn't piss ya off. :)

-Rumors of fighting

-Dogging all season

-Dropped passes

-Fighting

Thanks Britt, was hopping I didn't piss ya off. :)

You don't have to hop, 24.

;)

Archived