Lawson back on practice field today

TitanTiger

He must be far from game shape too. The last time he was physically in shape to play a game was almost 2 months ago

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess is that they will be judicious in how many snaps he plays early since he won't have his conditioning quite up to midseason form. Maybe play him more on passing downs early so hopefully he'll still have some in the tank in the 4th at crunch time. I wouldn't expect him to just be thrown out there as if he's been playing the whole time.

I have serious reservations as to his ability to stay healthy. He wouldn't be the first superstar that couldn't avoid the injury bug.

Sometimes that's the case. Guy gets injured a couple of times and never seems to stay healthy. Other times it's like Cadillac...broke his collarbone vs Alabama as a freshman, came back the next year and broke his fibula against Florida and missed half the season. Came back the next year and had an injury free junior and senior year.

you have to wonder what type of shape he is in. doubt he has been doing much running on a bad hip.

The good news is, in 2015, with Dr. Andrews taking care of you, you don't need to run. They use electrical stimulation of muscles to keep them in shape (heck, Dr. Andrews had a friend of mine do this for ACL surgery back in 1997), and they use other forms of exercise to maintain cardio/stamina.

The stuff they do helps in cutting down recovery time and helps to keep you in decent shape but it is no place near what a college football player does to get into and stay in game playing shape. Assuming he handles practice well they will probably decide on Thursday or Friday whether he will get any snaps and also how many snaps. Anybody expecting him to be in peak playing condition will be disappointed. If they do decide to give him some snaps I hope they do it judiciously and in a way that he can have a positive impact even though limited. His health has to come first.

you have to wonder what type of shape he is in. doubt he has been doing much running on a bad hip.

The good news is, in 2015, with Dr. Andrews taking care of you, you don't need to run. They use electrical stimulation of muscles to keep them in shape (heck, Dr. Andrews had a friend of mine do this for ACL surgery back in 1997), and they use other forms of exercise to maintain cardio/stamina.

The stuff they do helps in cutting down recovery time and helps to keep you in decent shape but it is no place near what a college football player does to get into and stay in game playing shape. Assuming he handles practice well they will probably decide on Thursday or Friday whether he will get any snaps and also how many snaps. Anybody expecting him to be in peak playing condition will be disappointed. If they do decide to give him some snaps I hope they do it judiciously and in a way that he can have a positive impact even though limited. His health has to come first.

The electric stimulation helps the muscle heal. It doesn't give you back your stamina. That has to be worked back toward.

Biggest parts of having CL back on the field are he gives us a real pass rush and now they can no longer double team Adams which gives us a push up the middle.

He will see the field early on obvious passing downs.

But by the mid 3rd qtr Auburn will be comfortably enough ahead to leave him on the bench. :-\

Seriously I hope all fans temper their expectations of what he can do during this game. I would hate to see a poster suggest Auburn pull his scholarship.

I just hope no one dogs him if he doesn't have an impact his first game back. Being cleared to play is a long way from playing full speed.

The biggest hurdle will be in CL's head. It is very difficult to trust a limb after serious injury. Even when you are assured by doctors it is 100%. After weeks of pain everytime you twist a little strange, step a little weird, or bump it lightly, the body instinctively treats it like a sissy.

With enough reps, you forget about the injury and play like you were never injured. How long it takes to mentally recover is different for every injury and every player. I hope Carl gets enough reps in practice this week to trust his hip by halftime on Sat. But you have to think: he has been in pain for weeks, it may take weeks before he forgets the injury and plays to potential.

Or the opposite and arguably worse could happen, especially given the attitude Carl has shown. He could decide he was going to kick ass and take names, give 100% while not being 100% ready and end up hurt again... see Holsey.

I hope Carl is very in tune with his body and getting A LOT of good advice.

++

I just hope no one dogs him if he doesn't have an impact his first game back. Being cleared to play is a long way from playing full speed.

The biggest hurdle will be in CL's head. It is very difficult to trust a limb after serious injury. Even when you are assured by doctors it is 100%. After weeks of pain everytime you twist a little strange, step a little weird, or bump it lightly, the body instinctively treats it like a sissy.

With enough reps, you forget about the injury and play like you were never injured. How long it takes to mentally recover is different for every injury and every player. I hope Carl gets enough reps in practice this week to trust his hip by halftime on Sat. But you have to think: he has been in pain for weeks, it may take weeks before he forgets the injury and plays to potential.

Or the opposite and arguably worse could happen, especially given the attitude Carl has shown. He could decide he was going to kick ass and take names, give 100% while not being 100% ready and end up hurt again... see Holsey.

I hope Carl is very in tune with his body and getting A LOT of good advice.

Very true.

I wonder do any of our opponents even know how large of an impact he could be having?

heck...they would have to recall from two seasons ago to even know who he was...

secret weapon #1

I wonder do any of our opponents even know how large of an impact he could be having?

heck...they would have to recall from two seasons ago to even know who he was...

secret weapon #1

Or see how disruptive he was against Louisville in his short time on the field after not playing for a season and a half...

He's not really a secret in his abilities. Which is why we are excited to have him back sooner than expected.

We're only going to play him on passing downs. Unfortunately, with Ole Miss, every down is a passing down.

Then that is more unfortunate for ole miss than us.

Just to get him on the field for passing situations would be a drastic upgrade despite him possibly not being in game shape.

Hope we see him

Just my thoughts for what it's worth and that is not much. Carl will play this weekend. How much depends on him. You can rest assured he is good to go. He, according to Gus has been doing everything but live contact. Question now is how much he trust his body. Not unusual for folks like this to favor the injured part coming back. Even at 80% he will help, at least enough to make CWM let off the reigns and pin their ears back on defense. WDE

To be honest I kind of hate it for him to come back this year. I mean the way fans have been using him being out as the excuse for the poor defense this year. If he comes back and doesn't absolutely blow up Ole Piss, then the police had better keep a watch on all tall bridges b/c a lot of the AU "faithful" will be looking to jump.

I wish CL all the best and hope that he is completely healthy.

This comment just sounds too much like an Updyker for my taste.

Not Updyking at all. Just know how people were begging for SW to step in when JJ was struggling. He did; we didn't win and a lot of those same people were trying to throw SW under the bus.

Anyone still ragging on Sean White at this point is someone whose opinion may be safely ignored. In regard to Lawson, people with sense will not be expecting miracles. And anyone who is is also someone whose opinion may be safely ignored.

Short version: Don't worry about what other people say.

To be honest I kind of hate it for him to come back this year. I mean the way fans have been using him being out as the excuse for the poor defense this year. If he comes back and doesn't absolutely blow up Ole Piss, then the police had better keep a watch on all tall bridges b/c a lot of the AU "faithful" will be looking to jump.

I wish CL all the best and hope that he is completely healthy.

This comment just sounds too much like an Updyker for my taste.

Not Updyking at all. Just know how people were begging for SW to step in when JJ was struggling. He did; we didn't win and a lot of those same people were trying to throw SW under the bus.

Anyone still ragging on Sean White at this point is someone whose opinion may be safely ignored. In regard to Lawson, people with sense will not be expecting miracles. And anyone who is is also someone whose opinion may be safely ignored.

Short version: Don't worry about what other people say.

So we should ignore everything you just said :dunno::poke:

The media went crazy over the prospect of aTm's probable 1st round DE Garrett vs Ole Miss's probable 1st round OL Laremy Tunsil in Tunsil's return game (dominated by Tunsil). Should we anticipate a Tunsil vs Lawson matchup?

The media went crazy over the prospect of aTm's probable 1st round DE Garrett vs Ole Miss's probable 1st round OL Laremy Tunsil in Tunsil's return game (dominated by Tunsil). Should we anticipate a Tunsil vs Lawson matchup?

I would more expect Lawson to play the opposite side of the line

Archived