Gus is a not a QB coach

Lowrider

HUGE MYTH. Chris Todd says hello.

Bro, that was YEARS ago. Back when this offense was still "new" and "mysterious". The offense no longer looks anything like that Chris Todd offense. even with a passing QB (White) at the helm.

Better yet, go back and actually look at that Chris Todd season game to game: Arkansas loss, Kentucky loss, LSU loss, Georgia loss, Alabama loss. In both the Georgia and Alabama games we scored twice in the first quarter and then were stopped entirely for the rest of the game. Kentucky held us to 14 points, and 0 second half points.

People keep talking as if that 2009 offense was elite or something, it wasn't.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right now, I'm not completely convinced that Gus could coach a turd out of his own @ss. He's a fraud!

Nice first post and name; troller alert.

Bro, that was YEARS ago. Back when this offense was still "new" and "mysterious". The offense no longer looks anything like that Chris Todd offense. even with a passing QB (White) at the helm.

Better yet, go back and actually look at that Chris Todd season game to game: Arkansas loss, Kentucky loss, LSU loss, Georgia loss, Alabama loss. In both the Georgia and Alabama games we scored twice in the first quarter and then were stopped entirely for the rest of the game.

Im kinda glad you posted this.....people love to bring up Todd. But AU LOST 5 (FIVE) damn games that year. ArKY/LSU/UGA/uat/UK losses are nothing to effing brag about.

This offense requires a true dual-threat QB, and I haven't seen anything from either White or Johnson that says they are. Neither can run well. Johnson is OK, but White hasn't shown anything. JMHO

HUGE MYTH. Chris Todd says hello. Pretty sure the OP has made this exact thread word for word already this season. I guess he's got the copy/paste function down pretty well.

No i've never posted this, I'm sure you hate the fact that I'm 100% correct. I'll leave now my points are valid.

No I don't hate the fact you THINK you are 100% correct, because you aren't. It's just your opinion and nothing more.

Better yet, go back and actually look at that Chris Todd season game to game: Arkansas loss, Kentucky loss, LSU loss, Georgia loss, Alabama loss. In both the Georgia and Alabama games we scored twice in the first quarter and then were stopped entirely for the rest of the game. Kentucky held us to 14 points, and 0 second half points.

Well, you can only keep the same four plays mysterious for so long...

NONE of that changes the fact that the offense was light years better in 2009 than it was in 2008 and that Chris Todd set Auburn records that year.

Better yet, go back and actually look at that Chris Todd season game to game: Arkansas loss, Kentucky loss, LSU loss, Georgia loss, Alabama loss. In both the Georgia and Alabama games we scored twice in the first quarter and then were stopped entirely for the rest of the game.

Im kinda glad you posted this.....people love to bring up Todd. But AU LOST 5 (FIVE) damn games that year. ArKY/LSU/UGA/uat/UK losses are nothing to effing brag about.

A lot of that was because we had a razor thin D. We had the lead on bama for over 58 minutes that year. It only took them two different pick plays on the final drive to beat us. QB play is not why we lost 5 games that year.

Calling all Mods! We have fleas in the house. ^^^^

So am I to infer that you disagree with my assessment of our AD's hiring decisions? The ******* gusbus slung a rod a season ago and has been sitting on the side of the damn road ever since buddy. Time to bring in some real coaching talent.

Shouldn't you be watching the bama game instead of trolling an AU board?

Calling all Mods! We have fleas in the house. ^^^^

So am I to infer that you disagree with my assessment of our AD's hiring decisions? The ******* gusbus slung a rod a season ago and has been sitting on the side of the damn road ever since buddy. Time to bring in some real coaching talent.

Shouldn't you be watching the bama game instead of trolling an AU board?

This is a butt sniffer, here to hike his leg on the rival teams board. The turds have their hands full right now with moo state.

NONE of that changes the fact that the offense was light years better in 2009 than it was in 2008

It was light years better than a complete s***-show. That means literally nothing with regards to proving that it is all of a sudden good enough to compete for SEC/National titles.

and that Chris Todd set Auburn records that year.

Dear god, the "set records" argument is so stupid. This is a football team that has been run-run-run-run heavy since its inception. Setting passing records for this school was NOT a difficult task. Any successful spread-style offense would have set records here in 2009. We could have named Tony Franklin HC in 2009 and I guarantee he would have set records as well. The records were EASY to break, it just required a more pass-oriented offense which wasn't predicated towards "grinding the game out".

Neither is Lashlee, Cam was the best thing that ever happened to Gus. Todd was a transfer, Cam was a transfer, Marshall was a transfer. Every single HS QB that Gus has coached has under achieved going back to Mitch Mustain. I know White is still a work in progress and is injured right now. Why should we have any confidence in Gus developing Qbs.

SW worked with a proven qb coach for years before gus made him quit, so at least he received some quality coaching.

We had the lead on bama for over 58 minutes that year. It only took them two different pick plays on the final drive to beat us..

The game was tied 14-14 at halftime. We were outscored 26-7 in the final three quarters of the game. We scored 14 points in the first quarter, and 7 during the final three quarters.

They figured out our offense and dominated after the first quarter.

This offense requires a true dual-threat QB, and I haven't seen anything from either White or Johnson that says they are. Neither can run well. Johnson is OK, but White hasn't shown anything. JMHO

HUGE MYTH. Chris Todd says hello. Pretty sure the OP has made this exact thread word for word already this season. I guess he's got the copy/paste function down pretty well.

Ok Chris todd was an 8-5 qb. Guys don't get it twisted . This offense is better by a country mile with a DT QB. Don't be silly.

AU lost 5 last year with Nick Marshall. Somehow I'm sure that's not valid to your point so it won't count. What people are really missing is that Dual Threats save Gus's sorry arse when his playcalls continue to be horrendous. That is the only reason we need a dual threat. If Gus could make proper decisions in a game we wouldn't need a DT qb. Gus is the problem, not whether or not we have a DT qb.

We had the lead on bama for over 58 minutes that year. It only took them two different pick plays on the final drive to beat us..

The game was tied 14-14 at halftime. We were outscored 26-7 in the final three quarters of the game. We scored 14 points in the first quarter, and 7 during the final three quarters.

They figured out our offense and dominated after the first quarter.

It's shocking how some fans do mental gymnastics in order to shed a positive light on AU, isn't it? Folks become brandinwashed towing the company line year after year.

AU lost 5 last year with Nick Marshall. Somehow I'm sure that's not valid to your point so it won't count. What people are really missing is that Dual Threats save Gus's sorry arse when his playcalls continue to be horrendous. That is the only reason we need a dual threat. If Gus could make proper decisions in a game we wouldn't need a DT qb. Gus is the problem, not whether or not we have a DT qb.

Except that our defense last year was horrendous

They also went to the NC game with a NM led offense. I think that was his point.

Take a Xanax...any offense just needs a QB that can execute and run the offense, unfortunately whether DT or pocket passer Auburn has neither one.

Lol that actually makes sense

I agree with the OP Gus's record so far in his career indicates that he is not good at developing QB's and neither is Rhett. If Gus wasn't so stubborn he would give that duty to DC.

This offense doesn't require a DT. It DOES require explosive quarterback play.

If we had a great pocket passer that could generate explosive pass plays and could dependably throw it deep, we would be fine. With a solid passing game would open up the run game and the QB wouldn't have to be mobile.

A DT can compensate for inconsistent passing because they create an additional threat on every play with their legs.

A great pocket quarterback makes the other team respect the entire field. They can't load the box because they have to worry about the qb's arm. This opens up run lanes inside. A DT makes the other team respect misdirection. The team can't over pursue the running back because the quarterback will make them pay.

With Cam, they had to respect both. With Marshall, they really had to respect the Qb run and knew that Marshall could potentially hit the deep pass.

The issue is that nobody respects our quarterback for anything. Neither qb has shown much as a runner. Johnson is Nick Marshall with a leg injury. He is radically inconsistent throwing deep and makes a lot of bad decisions. White can make all the short throws, but lacks the arm strength to be a consistent deep threat. Neither quarterback has shown that "wow" factor. As such, everyone is stacking the box and keying on the tailback. Explosive qb play of any kind would open this offense up.

Will someone. Please. Please. Please. Give me quantitative proof that Sean White doesn't have deep threat arm strength. Or have all of our long balls (since he became the starter) just materialize from thin air and he's just faking it?

Good Lord, does he have to throw a 90 yard arch for you people to be satisfied?

Will someone. Please. Please. Please. Give me quantitative proof that Sean White doesn't have deep threat arm strength. Or have all of our long balls (since he became the starter) just materialize from thin air and he's just faking it?

Good Lord, does he have to throw a 90 yard arch for you people to be satisfied?

Its just BS excuse making. There are NFL quarterbacks without "elite arm strength" who light it up week to week. His arm strength is fine, he can make all the throws he needs to be successful. Our staff utilizing him properly is an entirely different question.

Archived