It's Possible that Jeremy could make some 2016 noise

Dual-Threat Rigby

how many touchdowns the team made while JJ as in, as opposed to how many 'the team' made while SW was in.

If our offense scored 45 points a game with Sean in but he threw no touchdowns, and 21 a game with Jeremy throwing touchdowns and picks in equal numbers, some of these folks would say Jeremy was the better quarterback.

Nicely put.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how many touchdowns the team made while JJ as in, as opposed to how many 'the team' made while SW was in.

If our offense scored 45 points a game with Sean in but he threw no touchdowns, and 21 a game with Jeremy throwing touchdowns and picks in equal numbers, some of these folks would say Jeremy was the better quarterback.

The offense altogether appeared to improve (and continue to improve) after JJ was benched and Duke was kicked off the team. Sean White impressed me with the way he stepped up and into the starting QB slot, and the team seemed to respond to it. After White's injury, JJ has appeared to play better than he was in his first three starts, but he is clearly not being asked to win games with his arm. When it was time to win a game with his arm against Georgia, the coaches obviously thought an injured Sean White was a better bet and put him in instead. If that didn't tell everyone who the better QB is, I don't know what will. They're only human and not infallible, but I'm not naive or arrogant enough to think myself a better judge of QB ability than the people Auburn pays handsomely to do that for a living.

Also nicely put. Do people think the O took a step back with SW in there or something?

Honestly, some people complained about Cam's passing ability while he was at AU. Until we have a centaur playing QB at AU with the top half of Tom Brady and the bottom half of American Pharaoh people will always find a reason to gripe about QB play. I was guilty of it with Nick Marshall. But really I'm just looking for offensive production and it seemed like with White in there our offense just looked better as a whole. Part of it is the lack of throwing to the other team.

As far as the offense looking better, imo that came from having a bye week. I feel like offense and defense improved alot after the bye week...even SW and JJ. Then we started playing some inferior teams. Uga game they pulled JJ so quick I can't imagine they have faith in him and that has to make him question himself as well. Now I guess SW is still hurt and I just don't think what JJ did against Idaho really means too much, and whatever confidence they built up the a&m game they tore down the uga. I don't see JJ being the answer and imo SW hasn't played anybody with a pass rush except ole miss and uga and he was hurt both games. So that's why I say the qb is still a question mark imo

The offense altogether appeared to improve (and continue to improve) after JJ was benched and Duke was kicked off the team. Sean White impressed me with the way he stepped up and into the starting QB slot, and the team seemed to respond to it. After White's injury, JJ has appeared to play better than he was in his first three starts, but he is clearly not being asked to win games with his arm. When it was time to win a game with his arm against Georgia, the coaches obviously thought an injured Sean White was a better bet and put him in instead. If that didn't tell everyone who the better QB is, I don't know what will. They're only human and not infallible, but I'm not naive or arrogant enough to think myself a better judge of QB ability than the people Auburn pays handsomely to do that for a living.

Also nicely put. Do people think the O took a step back with SW in there or something?

Honestly, some people complained about Cam's passing ability while he was at AU. Until we have a centaur playing QB at AU with the top half of Tom Brady and the bottom half of American Pharaoh people will always find a reason to gripe about QB play. I was guilty of it with Nick Marshall. But really I'm just looking for offensive production and it seemed like with White in there our offense just looked better as a whole. Part of it is the lack of throwing to the other team.

Passing stats reflect that. Sean White may only have 1 TD pass, but those 250+ yards he threw for in three games are integral to opening up other options for the offense. Being able to pass the ball will be especially important against Alabama, as I do not envision a gameplan of less than 20 attempts or less than 200 yards passing being very successful against them. Georgia did not take us seriously as a passing threat with JJ in the game, and Alabama probably will not either unless they are given a good reason to. For all the criticism his passing got, Nick Marshall had to throw for 400+ to keep us in the game last year. If Sean White is not 100% and ready to play this game (which I doubt he will be), it will take an effort that JJ has not shown us that he has the ability to give. If the lights are going to come on for JJ, this game is probably his last chance at it.

Passing stats reflect that. Sean White may only have 1 TD pass, but those 250+ yards he threw for in three games are integral to opening up other options for the offense. Being able to pass the ball will be especially important against Alabama, as I do not envision a gameplan of less than 20 attempts or less than 200 yards passing being very successful against them. Georgia did not take us seriously as a passing threat with JJ in the game, and Alabama probably will not either unless they are given a good reason to. For all the criticism his passing got, Nick Marshall had to throw for 400+ to keep us in the game last year. If Sean White is not 100% and ready to play this game (which I doubt he will be), it will take an effort that JJ has not shown us that he has the ability to give. If the lights are going to come on for JJ, this game is probably his last chance at it.

Nothing to lose....Let him sling it.

I honestly think this game rests primarily on our receivers and secondarily on our offensive line. Jeremy has shown that, if a receiver can get open, he has the ability to make the passes, but he needs them to be in single coverage or free and he needs the time to make the pass. If he has to force a pass into coverage or gets forced out of the pocket and tries to pass on the run, there's a strong potential that it won't look pretty.

I'm hoping we can give him enough help to see some of the passes he made last weekend. Idaho or not, there were several dead on strikes.

One poster would for sure, because you know, that's the only thing that matters.

Nothing to lose....Let him sling it.

I agree. This game will not be won by running at them, calling a conservative game, or kicking a bunch of field goals. Of all the games played this year, this is the one for Gus to call with brass balls. 7-5 doesn't really look at better than 6-6 in the record book, unless that 7-5 includes a win over #2 Alabama that knocks them out of contention.

I honestly think this game rests primarily on our receivers and secondarily on our offensive line. Jeremy has shown that, if a receiver can get open, he has the ability to make the passes, but he needs them to be in single coverage or free and he needs the time to make the pass. If he has to force a pass into coverage or gets forced out of the pocket and tries to pass on the run, there's a strong potential that it won't look pretty.

I'm hoping we can give him enough help to see some of the passes he made last weekend. Idaho or not, there were several dead on strikes.

I don't disagree, I just wasn't getting into the help he needs from the rest of the offense. His last three games were 11-17 for 132, 14-22 for 61, and 13-19 for 163. Those numbers are not going to enable Auburn to rush enough or score enough to win this game, and Alabama has already stuffed two RB's that are better than any we have. I think tempo and a quick intermediate passing game are the key to backing Alabama off some. Deny them situational substitutions, and force them to use timeouts to get in fresh players. Receivers definitely cannot spend the first half dropping passes, and the offense doesn't need to hurry up to the line and then wait for playcall by committee.

I absolutely think we have the ability to win, I just don't think the A&M / Georgia / Idaho gameplan gets it done. However, it will probably require a season high pass attempts, and more commitment to tempo than we have seen thus far. Alabama wants us to run right at them stubbornly, just like LSU did, and they want to dictate the game.

Alabama has already stuffed two RB's that are better than any we have. I think tempo and a quick intermediate passing game are the key to backing Alabama off some.

Who, besides Fournette, did they shut down that is better than our backs? I still say that the fact that we have several backs that can hurt them in different ways give us the edge over LSU's attack.

Deny them situational substitutions, and force them to use timeouts to get in fresh players. .

Can't say that I disagree here. That's Auburn ball and when executed properly is hard to defend for 4 quarters. The question is, do we have the personnel to pull it off?

Alabama has already stuffed two RB's that are better than any we have. I think tempo and a quick intermediate passing game are the key to backing Alabama off some.

Who, besides Fournette, did they shut down that is better than our backs? I still say that the fact that we have several backs that can hurt them in different ways give us the edge over LSU's attack.

Nick Chubb. We definitely have the ability to be more imaginative in rushing than LSU is, but I do not see our rushing attack putting up 300 yards and 30+ points on Alabama with us passing less than 20 times or less than 200 yards. The offense was better last year, and it couldn't do it. If we get a quick intermediate passing game going, I'm less worried about our rushing game.

Deny them situational substitutions, and force them to use timeouts to get in fresh players. .

Can't say that I disagree here. That's Auburn ball and when executed properly is hard to defend for 4 quarters. The question is, do we have the personnel to pull it off?

Personnel? I would say yes. The obvious caveat is that the offense has to play a more complete game than it has against any good opponent this year.

Nick Chubb. We definitely have the ability to be more imaginative in rushing than LSU is, but I do not see our rushing attack putting up 300 yards and 30+ points on Alabama with us passing less than 20 times or less than 200 yards. The offense was better last year, and it couldn't do it. If we get a quick intermediate passing game going, I'm less worried about our rushing game.

Chubb put up 146 yards on bama. I wouldn't call that shutting him down by any stretch of the imagination.

Personnel? I would say yes. The obvious caveat is that the offense has to play a more complete game than it has against any good opponent this year.

I don't know. As much subbing as we've had to do all year, I don't know that we have enough guys who have the skills to handle the whole playbook. It's like Jovon and Peyton. Jovon is obviously the better back, but Gus doesn't trust him in pass protection. I think the same might be true for our receivers... our best catchers are not our best blockers. Makes it hard to go fast and have a lot of options.

Chubb put up 146 yards on bama. I wouldn't call that shutting him down by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't know. As much subbing as we've had to do all year, I don't know that we have enough guys who have the skills to handle the whole playbook. It's like Jovon and Peyton. Jovon is obviously the better back, but Gus doesn't trust him in pass protection. I think the same might be true for our receivers... our best catchers are not our best blockers. Makes it hard to go fast and have a lot of options.

83 of that was in one play at the very end of the 3rd quarter, after Alabama was done for the day with a 38-3 lead. When it mattered, he did nothing. It's one of those cases where the yards don't tell the story. Much like our second half against LSU. That he only had 20 carries tells the tale of them playing from well behind. I live in Georgia, and have to listen to chest-pounding barking Bulldogs year-round, I paid attention to that game.

This is a game where Gus is really going to have to decide on personnel to begin and finish drives with. Tempo to maximize the effect of misdirection will be more important than switching between blocking / catching receivers and protection / best back. Subbing and slow play falls right into what Saban would like us to do. A quick passing game will be more helpful than swapping between Jovon and Peyton. If they can crowd the line and get in the backfield, it won't matter which RB is back there.

They will dare AU to pass the ball.........hell they put 11 in the box

That is my thought as well. Their defensive strength clashes directly with what Gus ideally wants to do. They got away with only needing 11 passes in the 2013 because Nick Marshall and Tre Mason were able to rush for 250+. 2014 was a different story. That one took 27-43 for 456. The big difference is that 296 total rushing yards in 2013 to 174 total in 2014. I think tempo will give us more success rushing than we would have otherwise, but I just don't see us rushing well without taking the heat off with passing success.

. . . as if the playbook has called for much of a pass blocking RB. Of course things could (*should) change.

lol...I cant believe we are still having his conversation. Its funny that guys that have probably never played football know so much. I know one thing that is for certain you can't win with FG's. You really think putting all the pressure on the RBs to generate TDs is good football? If you think that's good Quarterbacking then I have some ocean front property in Alaska to sell you. Like I mentioned before I have actually played football so I am not talking from a couch perspective like some of you. If you been on the field and play any kind of football kicking FG's don't win games Interceptions don't either but some of you wont forgive JJ for the bad start and wont also recognize that the team wasn't good not just the QB. Please tell me your football resume beside madden and couch watching. JJ has throw 1 pick since his return from his benching. Until Malzan proves he can win the SEC with a pocket passer. I will continue to roll with the more talented guy. Chris Todd don't count in my book cause that wasn't success (3-5 in conference play). Maybe if we had elite talent in the form of WR both QB would be more successful passing.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/2/auburn-tigers

lol...I cant believe we are still having his conversation. Its funny that guys that have probably never played football know so much. I know one thing that is for certain you can't win with FG's. You really think putting all the pressure on the RBs to generate TDs is good football? If you think that's good Quarterbacking then I have some ocean front property in Alaska to sell you. Like I mentioned before I have actually played football so I am not talking from a couch perspective like some of you. If you been on the field and play any kind of football kicking FG's don't win games Interceptions don't either but some of you wont forgive JJ for the bad start and wont also recognize that the team wasn't good not just the QB. Please tell me your football resume beside madden and couch watching. JJ has throw 1 pick since his return from his benching. Until Malzan proves he can win the SEC with a pocket passer. I will continue to roll with the more talented guy. Chris Todd don't count in my book cause that wasn't success (3-5 in conference play). Maybe if we had elite talent in the form of WR both QB would be more successful passing.

http://espn.go.com/c...2/auburn-tigers

Well, my QB records were lost in a fire many years ago....but just a comment from observing our recent games. Most of JJ's passes have been more like extended hand-offs.....thrown to guys pretty much standing still without a defender covering the target....thus the relatively high completion rate but low average yards per catch....10.1

On the other hand, SW has a similar number of attempts with fewer completions... but 200 more total yards and averages about 4 yards per completion more than JJ.

Otherwise, as regards your comment... FGs don't win games.......that might come to a surprise to some of our coaches who change strategies inside the 20. And gotta agree 100% on the WR situation....they sure have not done much to help either QB this year. I keep wondering when we get (and keep) a couple WRs who go "get" the ball rather than waiting for the ball to come to them.

Lol @ tell me your resume...

And putting pressure on the RBs to score...have you not seen Auburn play the last 2-3 years?

You talk in circles and still seem to run yourself into a corner

Well I did stay in a holiday inn last night....

Dang it! All this time I've been at the Hampton. Things are starting to make more sense. Any more rooms there, Cole?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/2/auburn-tigers

Well gosh, ole willieguns went and played running back at tuskegee. Nobody can talk football against him on here. Somebody get Cole Cubelic's digits or maybe Stan White can rescue us. I stopped at the junior high level myself. I am no match for his geniousness. Fortunately, it's only a matter of time before espn snaps him up and whisks him away from here. Lol.

I hate to tell you doofus but you are one man's opinion like everyone else on here. Your experience hardly makes you an expert, and if anything your behavior so far indicates you may have had a serious concussion or three that is still affecting you.

Archived