concerning lashlee

aubiefifty

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, as you pointed out, at the crux of the woes this season is poor QB play. For the most part, that rests squarely on JJ's shoulders.

Jeremy Johnson's mechanics are terrible. Who's fault is that? Jeremy Johnson's? He's been here 3 seasons and he possesses zero ability to look off a defender. His footwork is atrocious.

They failed in their job of COACHING. I don't give a crap how fragile Johnson's mind is, a GOOD coach would have at least had him playing at a passable level at the Collegiate level. He looked like he didn't belong on the field against the bottom-tier teams we faced this season.

I had the fortune of seeing him practice several times, what JJ has can not be fixed by coaching - his mechanics and fundamentals were taught but his execution (specifically during game time)of what was being taught was horrendous. Players have to execute what is being taught and coached. Unfortunately GM and Rhett invested everything in JJ because by all indications he looked the part, and several fans and talking heads agreed. Hell he was a potential Heisman candidate by many. Coaching JJ was not the issue he just could not handle being Batman, maybe Robin but he did not have the stones to be the main guy. His fundamentals failed because he was like a nervous wreck back there, and as athletic as he is, when he ran he looked like he was in quicksand. He just does not have the mental fortitude for the position and IMO opinion Gus and Rhett were just as shocked as many others.

I've been to countless practices myself... One of the things I took away, was how much Laslee doesn't do. I was shocked really, that our offensive coordinator was not in the middle of everything. It seriously looked like his job was to take his 4 QB's through indy drills, then turn them over to Gus. I mean, our water boy could do that. There wasn't a lot of guidance, and there wasn't a lot of "coaching" going on. That's what me and some former players noticed...

Now, with this being said... our take away on Lashlee was, "what is he getting paid to do"??? This is obviously not his offense, and that's ok. But literally, anybody could do what he does!

So I say, if it's Gus' offense (which we know it is), promote Dameyune... or at least let him coach QB's. Bring in another top notch recruiter to coach the recievers. Either way, we need a fresh coordinator. Some who will challenge Gus... in a good way. Two minds are better than one.

Lashlee is nothing more than a yes man for Gus.

Ws and Ls

Losses were mostly on the D last year. Should he be blamed for that too or just simply fired for 1 bad season after two really good ones?

Seriously?!?!?

You do realize we held our opponents to way below their averages in points scored and touchdowns?

Outside of LSU... MSU, UK, Ark (in regulation), OM, UGA, and bama... our D played well enough to win!

You do realize that, right?

Ws and Ls

Losses were mostly on the D last year. Should he be blamed for that too or just simply fired for 1 bad season after two really good ones?

Seriously?!?!?

You do realize we held our opponents to way below their averages in points scored and touchdowns?

Outside of LSU... MSU, UK, Ark (in regulation), OM, UGA, and bama... our D played well enough to win!

You do realize that, right?

Did you even read the words LAST YEAR or did you just proof read and decide to go off?

We aren't dealing with a gordian knot here, everyone knows the qb woes we have had on the plains this year. I once said I wouldn't mind if Lashlee left for another job but not that I want him fired or anything of that nature, if anything happened to Lash I'd rather just see Malzahn take back over the reigns rather than hire anyone new.

I'm not of the belief Gus should be coaching for his life next year but I do believe he should be recruiting for his life. We have to find a qb that can give us legitimate hope and no offensive coordinator in the world could have done much better w/ JJ and SW this year.

Amen..JJ damn sure looked the part in relief for NM last season. He just lost his marbles once he became the man, don't think Gus not Rhett saw that coming.

absolutely agree, he looked the part and almost is the part accept he's not. W/ Gus and Rhett it's not like they can't develop qb's as they were successful w/ a converted defensive back but to be fair JJ did have an alright Iron Bowl showing and SW has shown some serious heart & resolve. Losing Duke really is something that we don't mention to much now but that hurt a lot I have to imagine. Gus always finds himself in odd qb quagmires that sometimes last to long - next years qb race will be crazy!

I'm a professor, have been for more than 20 years, & have gotten lots of affirmation that I'm a good one. AND occasionally I have a class that doesn't work. Sometimes I can pinpoint the problem & work to solve it. Sometimes I can't. Sometimes there seems to be some kind of elusive chemistry issue that resists all my efforts to understand it & fix it. After all my success in the classroom, I still occasionally find myself baffled by these situations. Thank heavens it's occasional! So this year's offense didn't work, but my experience working with young people means I'm not ready to call Rhett a failed coach. As noted, he's been part of 3 great offenses for us. Maybe he's hit his ceiling, or maybe this was 1 of those baffling years.

Well said.

Well said indeed. I've coached athletic teams for over 30 years and won more than my share of championships. The vast majority of teams I coached were either champs or serious contenders.

I've had the exact same experience with a few teams over the years. It wasn't talent, numbers, or anything that could be "fixed". On rare occasion it happens that a team simply doesn't win.

I'm a professor, have been for more than 20 years, & have gotten lots of affirmation that I'm a good one. AND occasionally I have a class that doesn't work. Sometimes I can pinpoint the problem & work to solve it. Sometimes I can't. Sometimes there seems to be some kind of elusive chemistry issue that resists all my efforts to understand it & fix it. After all my success in the classroom, I still occasionally find myself baffled by these situations. Thank heavens it's occasional! So this year's offense didn't work, but my experience working with young people means I'm not ready to call Rhett a failed coach. As noted, he's been part of 3 great offenses for us. Maybe he's hit his ceiling, or maybe this was 1 of those baffling years.

Well said.

Well said indeed. I've coached athletic teams for over 30 years and won more than my share of championships. The vast majority of teams I coached were either champs or serious contenders.

I've had the exact same experience with a few teams over the years. It wasn't talent, numbers, or anything that could be "fixed". On rare occasion it happens that a team simply doesn't win.

Obviously you should have been relieved from your coaching duties as soon as that bad season was over....I mean, you were in charge of that bad season, right? Whoever was in charge of you having that position to begin with likely should have been let go as well. Can't believe the masses didn't riot over that one!

Every damn season I have to read through all this bull****. Every year. It's pathetic at the knee jerk stupidity that dwells in this forum. It's frigging pathetic. I wonder who the next guy is that'll be on next seasons chopping block when it doesn't go perfectly. I am just absolutely ashamed at the lack of objectivity of some of you guys on here. None of us know it all that's for sure and those of you that claim to be experts seem to make yourselves look even dumber when something doesn't go right. These guys you're dogging out, produced 35.5 ppg and 458 ypg last season, which turned out to be the 2nd toughest schedule in CFB. I don't know about you, but I like those numbers and feel we can get back there quick. I'm sick to death of hearing about the alleged coaching failure with JJ. 100% of you all that post in this forum were ecstatic about thought of JJ being our starter this season, me included based on what he had shown previously. Guess what, we were all dead wrong. He folded like a cheap suit at the first inclination of pressure. SW looks promising, but again, he's a freshman with growing pains and to be honest looked like he was navigating them pretty damn well before his injury. A healthy game experienced SW and some fresh hands at WR could make this O really potent IMO. So...I hope with everything in me that those of you that are trigger happy and in constant search of a scapegoat don't get your wish. I'd like to see some continuity with this staff for a couple more years. Who knows, they may get their vision perfected in the time being. WDE. End rant

Every damn season I have to read through all this bull****. Every year. It's pathetic at the knee jerk stupidity that dwells in this forum. It's frigging pathetic. I wonder who the next guy is that'll be on next seasons chopping block when it doesn't go perfectly. I am just absolutely ashamed at the lack of objectivity of some of you guys on here. None of us know it all that's for sure and those of you that claim to be experts seem to make yourselves look even dumber when something doesn't go right. These guys you're dogging out, produced 35.5 ppg and 458 ypg last season, which turned out to be the 2nd toughest schedule in CFB. I don't know about you, but I like those numbers and feel we can get back there quick. I'm sick to death of hearing about the alleged coaching failure with JJ. 100% of you all that post in this forum were ecstatic about thought of JJ being our starter this season, me included based on what he had shown previously. Guess what, we were all dead wrong. He folded like a cheap suit at the first inclination of pressure. SW looks promising, but again, he's a freshman with growing pains and to be honest looked like he was navigating them pretty damn well before his injury. A healthy game experienced SW and some fresh hands at WR could make this O really potent IMO. So...I hope with everything in me that those of you that are trigger happy and in constant search of a scapegoat don't get your wish. I'd like to see some continuity with this staff for a couple more years. Who knows, they may get their vision perfected in the time being. WDE. End rant

Thanks for adding your bull#### to the pile high and mighty one. The coaching staff is responsible for what is put on the field, period. Gus is responsible for EJ being the DC last year. Gus is responsible for the 2nd half slide last year.

He and RL are responsible for the poor offensive showings vs. Uga and wisc. to close out the year last year. They are responsible for no RZ offense against bama last year and any D worth half a crap this year, even with a healthy SW. They are responsible for the cluster on O this year. We could have easily won 2-3 more games if we had something other than a less capable clone as OC.

People have a right to voice displeasure with the coaching and it is deserved. We may have a return to normalcy next year, but I am not overconfident we will. As long as we have a solid defensive staff in place and an improved offensive staff I think we will. If we roll into next year with the same crew, replacing two tackles, and have an injury or two at qb it could be another nightmare.

Those blaming JJ for our performance this year should be ashamed. One player makes a team now? Why not blame SW for hurting his knee? Lol

Also, can people please quit giving RL credit for the 2010 season and afa I'm concerned quit tying the 2010 season in when giving Gus kudos? He was an OC in 2010 and he is obviously a HC now. Shouldn't we only be concerned with his products as a HC?

Cam was a once in a lifetime blessing and Gus was an OC and what was RL? A GA?

Here's to a recovery from the downhill slide for Gus next year. It is a significant slide.

People just want somebody to blame and Lashlee is the popular target. I don't care who the OC is, lose your assumed top QB to a mental block, # 2 to a knee injury and #3 to arm surgery and your offense is going into the tank.

Lashlee has been an intregal part of three of the top four offenses in AU history. If you need somebody to bash, fine, but just admit what you are doing and why. Lashlee has earned better.

+1

Also, as you pointed out, at the crux of the woes this season is poor QB play. For the most part, that rests squarely on JJ's shoulders.

Jeremy Johnson's mechanics are terrible. Who's fault is that? Jeremy Johnson's? He's been here 3 seasons and he possesses zero ability to look off a defender. His footwork is atrocious.

They failed in their job of COACHING. I don't give a crap how fragile Johnson's mind is, a GOOD coach would have at least had him playing at a passable level at the Collegiate level. He looked like he didn't belong on the field against the bottom-tier teams we faced this season.

I had the fortune of seeing him practice several times, what JJ has can not be fixed by coaching - his mechanics and fundamentals were taught but his execution (specifically during game time)of what was being taught was horrendous. Players have to execute what is being taught and coached. Unfortunately GM and Rhett invested everything in JJ because by all indications he looked the part, and several fans and talking heads agreed. Hell he was a potential Heisman candidate by many. Coaching JJ was not the issue he just could not handle being Batman, maybe Robin but he did not have the stones to be the main guy. His fundamentals failed because he was like a nervous wreck back there, and as athletic as he is, when he ran he looked like he was in quicksand. He just does not have the mental fortitude for the position and IMO opinion Gus and Rhett were just as shocked as many others.

I've been to countless practices myself... One of the things I took away, was how much Laslee doesn't do. I was shocked really, that our offensive coordinator was not in the middle of everything. It seriously looked like his job was to take his 4 QB's through indy drills, then turn them over to Gus. I mean, our water boy could do that. There wasn't a lot of guidance, and there wasn't a lot of "coaching" going on. That's what me and some former players noticed...

Now, with this being said... our take away on Lashlee was, "what is he getting paid to do"??? This is obviously not his offense, and that's ok. But literally, anybody could do what he does!

So I say, if it's Gus' offense (which we know it is), promote Dameyune... or at least let him coach QB's. Bring in another top notch recruiter to coach the recievers. Either way, we need a fresh coordinator. Some who will challenge Gus... in a good way. Two minds are better than one.

Lashlee is nothing more than a yes man for Gus.

Thanks for that insight. It sounds like I suspected but way worse.

Also, can people please quit giving RL credit for the 2010 season and afa I'm concerned quit tying the 2010 season in when giving Gus kudos? He was an OC in 2010 and he is obviously a HC now. Shouldn't we only be concerned with his products as a HC?

Here's to a recovery from the downhill slide for Gus next year. It is a significant slide.

I don't see how that one is going to happen considering 85-90% of this board stated Gus WAS the reason we won the 2010 NC in spite of Chiz. I saw so many giving Gus the credit of winning that NC as an OC. That's when he continuously got the label as being and offensive genius. I wanted Strong and thought at the time Gus would be an 8 or 9 win coach at best and we'd hardly content for a NC. However, he proved me wrong. The jury is still out on him but i think he can be the guy for us if he'd stop being so dang stuborn. Coaches love to coach for and with him and players love to play for him. As we all know that's big when it comes to recruiting.

I strongly believe our AD highly credits Gus for 2010 even as an OC and the reason i think Gus has at least 2 years before his seat would even consider being hot at AU. Right or wrong but look who our AD is and what it took to get rid of Chiz. Thus why i found the small group of fire Gus gang pretty funny.

I don't see how that one is going to happen considering 85-90% of this board stated Gus WAS the reason we won the 2010 NC in spite of Chiz. I saw so many giving Gus the credit of winning that NC as an OC. That's when he continuously got the label as being and offensive genius. I wanted Strong and thought at the time Gus would be an 8 or 9 win coach at best and we'd hardly content for a NC. However, he proved me wrong. The jury is still out on him but i think he can be the guy for us if he'd stop being so dang stuborn. Coaches love to coach for and with him and players love to play for him. As we all know that's big when it comes to recruiting.

I strongly believe our AD highly credits Gus for 2010 even as an OC and the reason i think Gus has at least 2 years before his seat would even consider being hot at AU. Right or wrong but look who our AD is and what it took to get rid of Chiz. Thus why i found the small group of fire Gus gang pretty funny.

Well, I'm not on the fie Gus Bus and definitely not on the give him credit for 2010 crew either. Obviously, he was a key part like any OC would be. However, last time I checked we were held largely in check by a Pac 10 D while holding one of the top O's in the country in check in the NCG, and CGC was a defensive guy who helped hold the team together during the Cam Controversy (I am glad that chore wasn't left up to Gus), so anyone who gives Gus "credit" for 2010 is a doofus in my book.

Amen ...you brought it with this.

Well, I'm not on the fie Gus Bus and definitely not on the give him credit for 2010 crew either. Obviously, he was a key part like any OC would be. However, last time I checked we were held largely in check by a Pac 10 D while holding one of the top O's in the country in check in the NCG, and CGC was a defensive guy who helped hold the team together during the Cam Controversy (I am glad that chore wasn't left up to Gus), so anyone who gives Gus "credit" for 2010 is a doofus in my book.

well said.....

Auburn is last in the SEC West in Points per Game. Auburn is last in the SEC West in Yards per Game. Auburn lost every game, with the possible exception of LSU, because we don't score enough TD. We stink in the red zone.

We started the year not even knowing that our QB couldn't read defensive alignment and rotation. When the freshman QB was injured AU was not ready with a 3rd option or they were too scared or hard headed to play that player.

If that isn't on the OC / QB coach then who is it on. This is RL's job and he fell on his face and in turn ruined what should have been a drive for an SEC championship for AU. He needs to go and stand on his own 2 feet. He has been in Gus' pocket since he was a teenager.

As has been questioned before - it you bring in a OC you bring in his system. Same as defense. What respected, up and coming OC would accept this situation where he's not the true OC? Isn't the bigger/specific issue qb/wr coaching?

Did any of you actually watch our offense this year. Forget the the horrible qb play, we could still have won with half decent play calling and better fundamental teaching. Lashly has brought nothing to this O. Get your heads out of The JH turf.

2 out of his 3 years the offense ranked 7th and 17th nationally, the year before he got here we were ranked 117th. Maybe he and Gus aren't really that bad :dunno:/>

that don't seem to count

As has been questioned before - it you bring in a OC you bring in his system. Same as defense. What respected, up and coming OC would accept this situation where he's not the true OC? Isn't the bigger/specific issue qb/wr coaching?

This, we hired Gus to the the HC but only because we want Gus to run his O. Therefore; we have no need for an OC. We do need a competent QB coach and true WR coach.

wde

Ultimately the man's job is to coach QB's, it's the lions (or tigers) share of what's he's being paid to do, The OC title doesn't mean he get's to call plays in a vacuum for he's part of a git 'it done by committee of two. Which mean's he's in the way of going fast. Which is supposedly the meat and potatoes of Gus's system (although I've never read the book). So (2me@least) he's become more of a impediment than implementer to getting more plays done in less time. Which leads me to believe he's failed at making things go fast and well as failed to develop quality QB's. If I'm wrong name the truly successful QB who wasn't initially trained by someone else. So how's he doing in his two primary assignments, which are rubber stamping Gus's playbook and having groomed QB's ready to go?

On the first one he's more like an extra cog fouling up the gears and grinding forward progress to a near crawl. As opposed to being a true play calling, second half adjusting, talent aware offensive coordinator. If Gus wants to call plays then RL is slowing down the hurry up and if he has to be critiqued while in action he's slowing down the hurry up. Which mean (to me) he's modified this offensive to being a slower version of what it could be.

And on the second (as GA or OC) I see one 'Parade All American' and a former dual sport Mr Football Alabama who's careers were (both) potentially wasted (so far) Next up we have the ever popular trio of Chris Todd, Cam Newton, and Nick Marshall who all received their college basics (initial training) by someone else before ever meeting RL.. . that's the first step nut's and bolts... the mechanics of playing quarterback. Then there's Barrett Trotter and Jonathan Wallace who've both been great at times, but just never seemed to be coached up to their full potentials as QB's. And there was Clint Moseley who ultimately decided to forgo playing football his last year. Which get's us to this year with Jeremy and Sean. One who has (reportedly) been schooled by quarterback guru's since his high school days and done better than expected (by many). And the other who appears to have regressed (despite having some real potential) the longer he's around RL.

So sorry, but I just don't see how people can claim the man is doing or performing the work of a major (Div1) offensive coordinator at a satisfactory level. To me at best he's a glorified (and therefore overpaid) graduate assistant and taking up a mighty valuable slot (by NCAA rule) which could be (way) better utilized for the good of Auburn. It might sting some, but it's the nature of his chosen profession for it's a win, lose, or look good while doing it type of job. The real question (to me) is at what point does protecting the favored pupil become too large a liability to the rest of those counting on you? Because IMHO he's twisting the term offensive to true oxymoron.

And, I might add, that I suspect Lashlee is like son to Gus. They have been together for years. It is also very likely that they are a package deal. If so, I seriously doubt that Gus would fire him.

Gus is coaching for his job next year. He's done more than enough for Lashlee; a guy that is honestly making way too much money based off of very little merit. Does anyone have a cushier position than Lashlee? Making up to $600K after vaulting from GA-status on the sole basis of "no one knows Malzahn's offense better", and to this day no one even knows just how much he's responsible for on the field LOL.

Is it all Lashlee's fault? Probably not, but he simply makes way too much money, and the product on the field is way too poor for him to just slide through.

^^This^^ son or not it's time to cut the cord. We have got to move on

Kind of surprised to see you say this. I know you are more in the know than most. Is there actually school pressure behind the scenes or is it just fans tired of the dud the last year and a half have been?

Lots of pressure from within. It comes with the territory now a days. With the $$$$ these guys are making its expected.

I'll go in a little bit of a different direction in the discussion of CRL. I believe CRL is at a cross roads in his professional career. He will have to make some difficult decisions in the near future. CRL, at this point in time, has very little experience other than a HS QB and Gus' GA and OC. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhett_Lashlee#Career He did have one year as Samford's OC, so that is some experience away from Gus.

Unless Rhett is satisfied to ride Gus' coat tails and live and die with Gus' career, he will have to get some meaningful experience as either an OC/QB coach or another position coach at another school to gain perspective and experience with other HCs and their systems. Basically, get a more well rounded education in the coaching profession. He may have to even study under a QB guru to gain additional ways to coach the position.

He will have to take a cut in pay and up root his family if he wants to grow in his professional career. The question; is he willing to do this? A related question would be; what would Gus do for a new OC, do it himself, promote within or hire an outside OC? I would hope he finds someone that can bring a new prespective to the offense and that Gus will listen to him.

if he deserves it fine. but we do not know. and gus once said he was qb coach and would not send any qb to another guru to mess them up. no link cus i saw it on the tube.......

The quote was something to the effect that Gus didn't want Nick Marshall to go to a QB guru because he didn't want him learning another style, and came during the off season when they were supposed to be improving his passing. That was actually discussed at length in another thread as to what the true reasoning behind that was. I personally think, since Gus brought up eligibility no less than 3 times when discussing that topic, it had something to do with the fact that QB gurus aren't cheap and, to not break NCAA regulations, the parents have to pay for it.

NM still threw for over 2500yds and rushed for 1000.

^^^^^^^

In a run first offense as well.......

I'll go in a little bit of a different direction in the discussion of CRL. I believe CRL is at a cross roads in his professional career. He will have to make some difficult decisions in the near future. CRL, at this point in time, has very little experience other than a HS QB and Gus' GA and OC. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhett_Lashlee#Career He did have one year as Samford's OC, so that is some experience away from Gus.

Unless Rhett is satisfied to ride Gus' coat tails and live and die with Gus' career, he will have to get some meaningful experience as either an OC/QB coach or another position coach at another school to gain perspective and experience with other HCs and their systems. Basically, get a more well rounded education in the coaching profession. He may have to even study under a QB guru to gain additional ways to coach the position.

He will have to take a cut in pay and up root his family if he wants to grow in his professional career. The question; is he willing to do this? A related question would be; what would Gus do for a new OC, do it himself, promote within or hire an outside OC? I would hope he finds someone that can bring a new prespective to the offense and that Gus will listen to him.

If I am him I only go if I am told to go. I'm not leaving an easy 600k on the plains and uprooting my family, but that's me.

Archived