concerning lashlee

aubiefifty

Its as much about the money as it is about the performance. You can't justify Lashlee at $600K per year given what we just saw on the field. Realize that Tom Herman was making $550K at Ohio State before he got the Houston job. Does anyone here think that Lashlee is even half of Tom Herman in actual pedigree/skillset/etc? We're paying Rhett out the ass to receive complements for Malzahn's offense, so you bet your ass there's going to be heat when that same offense looks like utter dog-meat and the "star QB" who's been training here for 3 seasons looks like he has absolutely zero grasp on how to play the position.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its as much about the money as it is about the performance. You can't justify Lashlee at $600K per year given what we just saw on the field. Realize that Tom Herman was making $550K at Ohio State before he got the Houston job. Does anyone here think that Lashlee is even half of Tom Herman in actual pedigree/skillset/etc? We're paying Rhett out the ass to receive complements for Malzahn's offense, so you bet your ass there's going to be heat when that same offense looks like utter dog-meat and the "star QB" who's been training here for 3 seasons looks like he has absolutely zero grasp on how to play the position.

I wasn't questioning you as much as I was agreeing. Anyone that Gus thinks he has to replace, I'm cool with. That said, I don't agree with pressure on Gus to name skapegoats. That said, I'm fine with Gus coaching for his job next year. If Gus fails, what Lashlee was paid will be irrelevant. If Lashlee fails, I think Gus will get rid of him to save his skin if he can. If he can't, then it won't matter.

We aren't dealing with a gordian knot here, everyone knows the qb woes we have had on the plains this year. I once said I wouldn't mind if Lashlee left for another job but not that I want him fired or anything of that nature, if anything happened to Lash I'd rather just see Malzahn take back over the reigns rather than hire anyone new.

I'm not of the belief Gus should be coaching for his life next year but I do believe he should be recruiting for his life. We have to find a qb that can give us legitimate hope and no offensive coordinator in the world could have done much better w/ JJ and SW this year.

And, I might add, that I suspect Lashlee is like son to Gus. They have been together for years. It is also very likely that they are a package deal. If so, I seriously doubt that Gus would fire him.

Gus is coaching for his job next year. He's done more than enough for Lashlee; a guy that is honestly making way too much money based off of very little merit. Does anyone have a cushier position than Lashlee? Making up to $600K after vaulting from GA-status on the sole basis of "no one knows Malzahn's offense better", and to this day no one even knows just how much he's responsible for on the field LOL.

Is it all Lashlee's fault? Probably not, but he simply makes way too much money, and the product on the field is way too poor for him to just slide through.

^^This^^ son or not it's time to cut the cord. We have got to move on

Kind of surprised to see you say this. I know you are more in the know than most. Is there actually school pressure behind the scenes or is it just fans tired of the dud the last year and a half have been?

We aren't dealing with a gordian knot here, everyone knows the qb woes we have had on the plains this year. I once said I wouldn't mind if Lashlee left for another job but not that I want him fired or anything of that nature, if anything happened to Lash I'd rather just see Malzahn take back over the reigns rather than hire anyone new.

I'm not of the belief Gus should be coaching for his life next year but I do believe he should be recruiting for his life. We have to find a qb that can give us legitimate hope and no offensive coordinator in the world could have done much better w/ JJ and SW this year.

Amen..JJ damn sure looked the part in relief for NM last season. He just lost his marbles once he became the man, don't think Gus not Rhett saw that coming.

If Malzahn is that hard headed and doesn't get a new OC and we end 2016 at 6-6 or even 7-5, Gus should not get a 5th year as Auburn's head coach.

I'm a professor, have been for more than 20 years, & have gotten lots of affirmation that I'm a good one. AND occasionally I have a class that doesn't work. Sometimes I can pinpoint the problem & work to solve it. Sometimes I can't. Sometimes there seems to be some kind of elusive chemistry issue that resists all my efforts to understand it & fix it. After all my success in the classroom, I still occasionally find myself baffled by these situations. Thank heavens it's occasional! So this year's offense didn't work, but my experience working with young people means I'm not ready to call Rhett a failed coach. As noted, he's been part of 3 great offenses for us. Maybe he's hit his ceiling, or maybe this was 1 of those baffling years.

Well said.

The way I see it CRL is both OC and QB coach. Doesn't that mean he is responsible for making sure the QB's are up to speed. JJ was in the program for three years and then they learn JJ was definitely not the answer at Q.B. I say Lashlee and more so, Gus are both responsible. They better make sure whoever is the starting QB next year has a total grasp of the offense.

We're paying Rhett out the ass to receive complements for Malzahn's offense, so you bet your ass there's going to be heat when that same offense looks like utter dog-meat and the "star QB" who's been training here for 3 seasons looks like he has absolutely zero grasp on how to play the position.

As you pointed out, it's Malzahn's offense. Lashlee didn't come up with these schemes. But you are ready to pin the entire debacle on his inability to administer it? Not even close.

Also, as you pointed out, at the crux of the woes this season is poor QB play. For the most part, that rests squarely on JJ's shoulders. Had JJ turned out to be the elite QB we all hoped he'd be, you would be praising Malzahn and Lashlee for their prowess. Face it, Auburn just simply did not have the talent (mainly at QB and WR) to execute Malzhan's offense. It's that simple. Should Malzahan and Lashlee take the heat for the results? Absolutely. Don't misunderstand me. I am all for accountability. But it is short sided to single out Lashlee as the root cause of the poor results this season.

Also, as you pointed out, at the crux of the woes this season is poor QB play. For the most part, that rests squarely on JJ's shoulders.

Jeremy Johnson's mechanics are terrible. Who's fault is that? Jeremy Johnson's? He's been here 3 seasons and he possesses zero ability to look off a defender. His footwork is atrocious.

They failed in their job of COACHING. I don't give a crap how fragile Johnson's mind is, a GOOD coach would have at least had him playing at a passable level at the Collegiate level. He looked like he didn't belong on the field against the bottom-tier teams we faced this season.

We're paying Rhett out the ass to receive complements for Malzahn's offense, so you bet your ass there's going to be heat when that same offense looks like utter dog-meat and the "star QB" who's been training here for 3 seasons looks like he has absolutely zero grasp on how to play the position.

As you pointed out, it's Malzahn's offense. Lashlee didn't come up with these schemes. But you are ready to pin the entire debacle on his inability to administer it? Not even close.

Also, as you pointed out, at the crux of the woes this season is poor QB play. For the most part, that rests squarely on JJ's shoulders. Had JJ turned out to be the elite QB we all hoped he'd be, you would be praising Malzahn and Lashlee for their prowess. Face it, Auburn just simply did not have the talent (mainly at QB and WR) to execute Malzhan's offense. It's that simple. Should Malzahan and Lashlee take the heat for the results? Absolutely. Don't misunderstand me. I am all for accountability. But it is short sided to single out Lashlee as the root cause of the poor results this season.

Well said sir.

Who'd have thought this would turn into a Lashlee bashing thread :dunno:

I admire your effort OP, but this was doomed from the beginning. Unfortunately this "forum" is not for debate any more as those who have decided one thing refuse at all costs to even be open to the fact that they MAY be wrong. This "forum" is where opinions are deemed as indisputable facts these days and there will be no mind changing around here...

Well said sir.

Have to respectfully disagree. A good QB covers a multitude of bad coaching moves. It's only when you have marginal QB performance that you can truly test offensive coaching capabilities. Afraid Rhett's limitations were exposed this year. Not saying he's a poor coach, but he's demonstrated this season that he doesn't belong among the upper eschelon either.

Also, as you pointed out, at the crux of the woes this season is poor QB play. For the most part, that rests squarely on JJ's shoulders.

Jeremy Johnson's mechanics are terrible. Who's fault is that? Jeremy Johnson's? He's been here 3 seasons and he possesses zero ability to look off a defender. His footwork is atrocious.

They failed in their job of COACHING. I don't give a crap how fragile Johnson's mind is, a GOOD coach would have at least had him playing at a passable level at the Collegiate level. He looked like he didn't belong on the field against the bottom-tier teams we faced this season.

No, it's absolutely JJ's fault. You will never get me to believe that the coaches saw that JJ had issues but just decided not to try to address them.

JJ's problems centered around confidence. Coaching can have some affect on that but it has to start with JJ. And, he never made it off the starting block. That's not the coaches fault.

Did any of you actually watch our offense this year. Forget the the horrible qb play, we could still have won with half decent play calling and better fundamental teaching. Lashly has brought nothing to this O. Get your heads out of The JH turf.

No, it's absolutely JJ's fault. You will never get me to believe that the coaches saw that JJ had issues but just decided not to try to address them.

JJ's problems centered around confidence. Coaching can have some affect on that but it has to start with JJ. And, he never made it off the starting block. That's not the coaches fault.

Mechanics have absolutely nothing to do with confidence. They failed COACHING at the most basic level. His mechanics are a poor as they were coming out of HS.

Does this surprise you? Neither Lashlee nor Gus have any sort of "reputation" as QB coaches. I'd love to see where Lashlee would be right now if he wasn't given the Golden Ticket to Gus Malzahn's chocolate factory.

Did any of you actually watch our offense this year. Forget the the horrible qb play, we could still have won with half decent play calling and better fundamental teaching. Lashly has brought nothing to this O. Get your heads out of The JH turf.

I will agree with you on the play calling part. If there is one area that I am willing to concede that is squarely on the coaches shoulders, it's play calling.

2 out of his 3 years the offense ranked 7th and 17th nationally, the year before he got here we were ranked 117th. Maybe he and Gus aren't really that bad :dunno:

I had the fortune of seeing him practice several times, what JJ has can not be fixed by coaching - his mechanics and fundamentals were taught but his execution (specifically during game time)of what was being taught was horrendous. Players have to execute what is being taught and coached. Unfortunately GM and Rhett invested everything in JJ because by all indications he looked the part, and several fans and talking heads agreed. Hell he was a potential Heisman candidate by many. Coaching JJ was not the issue he just could not handle being Batman, maybe Robin but he did not have the stones to be the main guy. His fundamentals failed because he was like a nervous wreck back there, and as athletic as he is, when he ran he looked like he was in quicksand. He just does not have the mental fortitude for the position and IMO opinion Gus and Rhett were just as shocked as many others.

I will agree with you on the play calling part. If there is one area that I am willing to concede that is squarely on the coaches shoulders, it's play calling.

How about the players executing the play call?

Seriously we fired a lot of coaches the last few years for failures no greater than those of this OC. Was this OC performance any better than the DC performances of the past couple of years. I mean you got a OC who may or may not have been responsible for this years horrendously awful play calling. I mean the OC is paid the big bucks for his play calling abilities, right. You got a qb coach that has overseen arguably the biggest fail of any AU qb ever. Seriously what's left. His recruiting. Wheres the ROI. You have to admit that if this guy was not malzahns adopted son he would have been let go Sunday.

Seriously we fired a lot of coaches the last few years for failures no greater than those of this OC. Was this OC performance any better than the DC performances of the past couple of years. I mean you got a OC who may or may not have been responsible for this years horrendously awful play calling. I mean the OC is paid the big bucks for his play calling abilities, right. You got a qb coach that has overseen arguably the biggest fail of any AU qb ever. Seriously what's left. His recruiting. Wheres the ROI. You have to admit that if this guy was not malzahns adopted son he would have been let go Sunday.

Non you don't have to admit that at all. His job doesn't even compare to the DC fires. Those DCs had rankings consistently, every year in the 60 plus range. 2 of Lashlees 3 years saw top 20 offenses. Not even remotely the same situation.

How about the players executing the play call?

Agreed. And if they don't? Who called the play with the evaluation that they could execute? Who coached them to execute? Who decided they could execute and put them on the field? Who evaluated them and decided they could be coached to execute and recruited them? Who is ultimately responsible if they don't "execute" the play call? Hint: If you're evaluating them and recruiting them, and you're coaching them, and you're making out the starting lineups, and you're calling the plays, and the players still aren't executing, then you best look in the mirror.

Archived