concerning lashlee

aubiefifty

I know everyone has an opinion, however, it seems like Gus may have entered this year thinking he could back off and allow others to lead and guide and he could just manage the coordinators. Then midway through the year he realized he needed to be more hands on, but the dye was already cast. What do you guys think, is that fair or out in left field?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or he could consult all the expertise on what he needs to do from here. That should solve all his problems.

C'mon man, that's a little generic for you, if you're going with those worn out lines you gotta bring it fresh. Where's the creativity? :)/>

I guess I am tired of those that believe coaches see something wrong but don't try and fix it for whatever reason. I don't think coaches call plays that they don't expect to work. We all have the benefit of hindsight. Gus calls a pass on 3rd and 2, Jeremy zips it over Louis head, bad call or poor execution? UK has a 3rd down and forever they convert with a pass over the middle, once again bad play or execution? The experts here chime in after the fact and want to over analyze every call and the call for someone's job. I still do not think Gus has had a QB at AU since Cam. Nick in all his glory was a DB and had not played big time QB ball, Jeremy looked the part but did not have the requisite mental toughness for the position. Chris Tood had a noodle for arm. Gus and Lashlee made it work with Nick and Todd, but this year not having a serviceable QB caught up with them big time. So no I do not think Lashlee is dead weight like some do.

:wareagle:

Or he could consult all the expertise on what he needs to do from here. That should solve all his problems.

C'mon man, that's a little generic for you, if you're going with those worn out lines you gotta bring it fresh. Where's the creativity? :)/>

I guess I am tired of those that believe coaches see something wrong but don't try and fix it for whatever reason. I don't think coaches call plays that they don't expect to work. We all have the benefit of hindsight. Gus calls a pass on 3rd and 2, Jeremy zips it over Louis head, bad call or poor execution? UK has a 3rd down and forever they convert with a pass over the middle, once again bad play or execution? The experts here chime in after the fact and want to over analyze every call and the call for someone's job. I still do not think Gus has had a QB at AU since Cam. Nick in all his glory was a DB and had not played big time QB ball, Jeremy looked the part but did not have the requisite mental toughness for the position. Chris Tood had a noodle for arm. Gus and Lashlee made it work with Nick and Todd, but this year not having a serviceable QB caught up with them big time. So no I do not think Lashlee is dead weight like some do.

Poet get's it!

:wareagle:

Poet get's it!

:thumbsup:

I know everyone has an opinion, however, it seems like Gus may have entered this year thinking he could back off and allow others to lead and guide and he could just manage the coordinators. Then midway through the year he realized he needed to be more hands on, but the dye was already cast. What do you guys think, is that fair or out in left field?

Why on Earth would Gus feel like he could back off and allow others to lead? We ended the freaking 2014 season losing 4 of our last 5 games. This team started spiraling in November last year and is still in a freaking decline. The notion that Gus felt like the team was in such a good position that he could sit back and coast in light of the fact that 2014 ended so poorly is wayyyy out in left field.

While he is certainly not the end all and be all of all of our problems this season, it's not hard to argue that we could use improvement in the QB development area. Even Nick didn't show major improvement even when it was made clear that they were focusing an entire off-season on improving his passing.

I think Lashlee is fine as an OC (though who ever called Peyton up the middle on 90% of our first downs needs to be smacked in the back of the head), and I think we can certainly win if he stays, but I also think that we'd be better off with Craig coaching QBs and someone with receiver coaching in their background coaching receivers. The problem is, that leaves us one coach over the limit.

Side note, as I mentioned in another thread, I think it would benefit Gus to have someone else with an established offensive strategy on staff to scheme with him instead of someone who only knows his system.

"though who ever called Peyton up the middle on 90% of our first downs needs to be smacked in the back of the head)" Gus has called RB?? Up the middle every year everywhere he's coached. People just want someone to blame and RL is the easiest since CGM'S buyout isn't going to allow him to go anywhere this year. If this is coaching and not player performance, then it will be the same next year.

This season, while wasn't as crappy as 2012, was the exact opposite in terms of breaks and getting the bounces of 2013. We were in every game we played minus LSU. This team just didn't have the mojo. There were countless times where the players were in position to make the play but it just didn't happen. While some of these missed opportunities were from seniors I think this is the type of problem that plagues teams that do not have a ton of players returning from the previous year. We had our hopes pinned on a QB that hadn't proven anything of substance minus 30 minutes of football against a team that had prepared for a 80% running attack. We had running backs without extensive experience. Our best WR left on the team after Duke went ballistic had seldom even used as a threat to catch the ball past 5 yards of the line of scrimmage throughout his entire career. Maybe the best center in school history was gone and we replaced him with a guy who had never snapped before. Combine all of this plus finding out 3 games in that you have a freshman QB who probably hadn't taken any first team reps that is your best option at QB and you have to reboot how you run your offense because you really don't know what you have at QB and it's going to be bad news.

Every great Auburn team in modern history had a really crappy season preceding it (based on expectations). We seem to be in a cycle of guys getting into the program and playing young and struggling. When they get older it all comes together. I don't know if this is recruiting cycles or what but we seem to lose a ton of talent at once every few years leading to a bunch of inexperienced guys having to learn how to play as starters in the SEC at the same time. Did this pattern start when we were undermanned during Tubs last year/Chiz's first year? I don't know how the recruiting numbers balance out so forgive my ignorance

maybe

all offensive systems require good players who can execute. AU's 2015 offense was severely lacking at the QB position and receiver. We have all seen what this offense can do with the right pieces in place. Man did not fall asleep and forget how to coach.

He had offensive weapons last season and the offense clearly went backwards. Was it a bad offense? Of course not, but our redzone problems actually started becoming apparent last season. The problem has only grown this season, with some really odd playcalls consistently causing us to kick field goals.

To me Gus looks looks an X's and O's coach who can't truly improvise or adjust. If he's got all the pieces in place and he KNOWS what he has, he can really utilize it to its fullest. But see something go wrong? Absolutely no creativity or versatility to salvage the product in some way. That to me automatically disqualifies any talk about him being a "genius". A "genius", even with a pile of crap, should be able to mold SOMETHING that resembles an offense. The offense obviously revolves around the QB, but realize that Baylor lost its starting QB to injury this season and was forced to go to a (talented) freshman backup. The result? They kept winning until eventually losing a close game to Oklahoma. Here's where it gets fun: their backup QB then gets injured and they are forced to go with a guy who they had converted to WR! In that game they somehow managed to beat what was at the time #6 Oklahoma State on the road...with a 3rd string WR/QB running their offense. They then barely lose to TCU in double overtime by only 7 points...with that 3rd string WR/QB. The point? Notice how their offense didn't suddenly turn to dog-meat once things started going wrong. Even with the 3rd string playing poorly against TCU, they still managed to do some things which kept them in the game by ADJUSTING. Meanwhile over here JJ turns into a bust and we struggle to even beat the cupcakes on our schedule. We put White in and they seem to have no idea how to use him; seemingly having him play with a hand tied behind his back. My favorite: we've a mess at QB, Jovon Robinson starts playing well yet for some reason he mysteriously disappears from games while we attempt to pass our way to victory? What?

Don't bother, we have an army of folks on here who are willing to give Gus and Rhett a free pass for any inconvenience suffered during the season. Next year the 1st and 2nd string rbs might get injured and the 3rd string arrested. Oh well, nothing Gus and Rhett can do about that. Free pass #2 and so on.

Forget that Gus played a "star receiver" for half the season who seemed lethargic and disinterested in helping the qb and team out. He was called out by every announcer and analyst in the country for his lethargic routes and half efforts to catch passes.

Forget the couple or three games we could have won if we had better playcalling.

Gus had qb issues, forget it all.

Forget that two of the 3 seasons we had a top 20 offense. Forget that 3 qbs had issues, 1 choked, 2 injured. Forget that SW had the offense going but the D wasn't quite enough...and by the time WM got the D turning around, SW got injured, leaving the only option at qb JJ or 4th string. Was there some questionable playcals? You bet. Is that reason enough to completely ignore all the other facts involved and completely disregard 2 seasons of really good offense? Not hardly. If it continues for one more year then there is certainly a case, but 1 season out of 3 without a top 20 offense doesn't get people fired, and if it does NOONE in their right mind worth a damn would ever want to coach for us knowing they could only have one bad season to get fired. This mindset of fire someone because you didn't like this season is flat out pathetic. Just because should be held accountable for a bad season does not mean they should be fired. That is not the only option as some of you are so intensely suggested. That line of thinking from a CEO would run every business in the world into the ground. Thank goodness you guys don't get to make these decisions. I sure hope you don't have a bad year at work this year or I'd expect you will be stepping down, right? Whatever. I'm done with this bammer mindset of success every year or someone needs to be fired. It is not how Auburn men and women are expected to act. Apparently a lot of this board never actually went to auburn to become one of the family or have completely forgotten along the way.

Please save me the never attended Auburn or lost my way crap. I attended AU and don't care if you think I have lost my way or not. I think we need some serious revamping on the offensive staff for the reasons mentioned. This is not a one year thing. We began to show issues at the end of last year and if bama had not had weak corners we would have had a three game offensive slide to end the year.

RL adds nothing to the O. He is a less capable clone. We need an OC who brings something significant to the table and can help Gus grow as an SEC coach and playcaller. Or, we can wait for the next Cam or NM and run the read option continuously until they put 8 in the box and then hope they don't have a good enough secondary to shut our receivers down. Of course, NM was held in check 2 of his last 3 games for us which were big fat Ls. Good defenses eventually figute out how to shut down simple offenses.

all offensive systems require good players who can execute. AU's 2015 offense was severely lacking at the QB position and receiver. We have all seen what this offense can do with the right pieces in place. Man did not fall asleep and forget how to coach.

He had offensive weapons last season and the offense clearly went backwards. Was it a bad offense? Of course not, but our redzone problems actually started becoming apparent last season. The problem has only grown this season, with some really odd playcalls consistently causing us to kick field goals.

To me Gus looks looks an X's and O's coach who can't truly improvise or adjust. If he's got all the pieces in place and he KNOWS what he has, he can really utilize it to its fullest. But see something go wrong? Absolutely no creativity or versatility to salvage the product in some way. That to me automatically disqualifies any talk about him being a "genius". A "genius", even with a pile of crap, should be able to mold SOMETHING that resembles an offense. The offense obviously revolves around the QB, but realize that Baylor lost its starting QB to injury this season and was forced to go to a (talented) freshman backup. The result? They kept winning until eventually losing a close game to Oklahoma. Here's where it gets fun: their backup QB then gets injured and they are forced to go with a guy who they had converted to WR! In that game they somehow managed to beat what was at the time #6 Oklahoma State on the road...with a 3rd string WR/QB running their offense. They then barely lose to TCU in double overtime by only 7 points...with that 3rd string WR/QB. The point? Notice how their offense didn't suddenly turn to dog-meat once things started going wrong. Even with the 3rd string playing poorly against TCU, they still managed to do some things which kept them in the game by ADJUSTING. Meanwhile over here JJ turns into a bust and we struggle to even beat the cupcakes on our schedule. We put White in and they seem to have no idea how to use him; seemingly having him play with a hand tied behind his back. My favorite: we've a mess at QB, Jovon Robinson starts playing well yet for some reason he mysteriously disappears from games while we attempt to pass our way to victory? What?

Don't bother, we have an army of folks on here who are willing to give Gus and Rhett a free pass for any inconvenience suffered during the season. Next year the 1st and 2nd string rbs might get injured and the 3rd string arrested. Oh well, nothing Gus and Rhett can do about that. Free pass #2 and so on.

Forget that Gus played a "star receiver" for half the season who seemed lethargic and disinterested in helping the qb and team out. He was called out by every announcer and analyst in the country for his lethargic routes and half efforts to catch passes.

Forget the couple or three games we could have won if we had better playcalling.

Forget that two of the 3 seasons we had a top 20 offense. Forget that 3 qbs had issues, 1 choked, 2 injured. Forget that SW had the offense going but the D wasn't quite enough...and by the time WM got the D turning around, SW got injured, leaving the only option at qb JJ or 4th string. Was there some questionable playcals? You bet. Is that reason enough to completely ignore all the other facts involved and completely disregard 2 seasons of really good offense? Not hardly. If it continues for one more year then there is certainly a case, but 1 season out of 3 without a top 20 offense doesn't get people fired, and if it does NOONE in their right mind worth a damn would ever want to coach for us knowing they could only have one bad season to get fired. This mindset of fire someone because you didn't like this season is flat out pathetic. Just because should be held accountable for a bad season does not mean they should be fired. That is not the only option as some of you are so intensely suggested. That line of thinking from a CEO would run every business in the world into the ground. Thank goodness you guys don't get to make these decisions. I sure hope you don't have a bad year at work this year or I'd expect you will be stepping down, right? Whatever. I'm done with this bammer mindset of success every year or someone needs to be fired. It is not how Auburn men and women are expected to act. Apparently a lot of this board never actually went to auburn to become one of the family or have completely forgotten along the way.

Please save me the never attended Auburn or lost my way crap. I attended AU and don't care if you think I have lost my way or not. I think we need some serious revamping on the offensive staff for the reasons mentioned. This is not a one year thing. We began to show issues at the end of last year and if bama had not had weak corners we would have had a three game offensive slide to end the year.

RL adds nothing to the O. He is a less capable clone. We need an OC who brings something significant to the table and can help Gus grow as an SEC coach and playcaller. Or, we can wait for the next Cam or NM and run the read option continuously until they put 8 in the box and then hope they don't have a good enough secondary to shut our receivers down. Of course, NM was held in check 2 of his last 3 games for us which were big fat Ls. Good defenses eventually figute out how to shut down simple offenses.

Wisconsin? Do you even know what happened there or do you use it because someone else said it? Never mind. I already know that answer.

Bowl game against Wisconson...

Passed and rushed for over 200 yards.

31 points in regulation.

NM threw 2 TDs and 0 INTS.

Carlson missed 2 fgs in a game we went to overtime in.

You can't just claim something and it be true. We lost that game on defense, so your so called "decline" last year only consists of 1 game with two good offensive games AFTER that 1 game. Oh, and we put over 40 on bama because their D was so bad? Geez. It's pointless to have this discussion if you really believe any of what you are claiming for last year. I've had enough laughs at these ill informed arguments the last few weeks. I'm moving on (til I get bored and need another laugh anyways)

Rhett is the OC and AU's offense hasn't done anything the last 2 years. Therefore, that should give Gus reason enough to fire him.

Wisconsin? Do you even know what happened there or do you use it because someone else said it? Never mind. I already know that answer.

Bowl game against Wisconson...

Passed and rushed for over 200 yards.

31 points in regulation.

NM threw 2 TDs and 0 INTS.

Carlson missed 2 fgs in a game we went to overtime in.

You can't just claim something and it be true. We lost that game on defense, so your so called "decline" last year only consists of 1 game with two good offensive games AFTER that 1 game. Oh, and we put over 40 on bama because their D was so bad? Geez. It's pointless to have this discussion if you really believe any of what you are claiming for last year. I've had enough laughs at these ill informed arguments the last few weeks. I'm moving on (til I get bored and need another laugh anyways)

My memory failed me on the wiscy game. I think I was hung up on them stopping marshall from running and I remember being disappointed in ghe offense overall and losing to a lesser team again, but they had a good game 400 yds.

If you want a laugh watch lashlee call one of our games this year without Cam or NM, that was a hoot.

If you want to laugh watch any team call a game without some of there best players....imagine Carolina without Cam or UA without Henry....great players make coaches look a lot better....

If you want to laugh watch any team call a game without some of there best players....imagine Carolina without Cam or UA without Henry....great players make coaches look a lot better....

alabama would still be 11-1 without Henry...

nope i doubt it

Rhett is the OC and AU's offense hasn't done anything the last 2 years that would cause Gus to keep him another year.

After seeing your post, I emailed Gus and asked him why he's keeping RL around since he's dead weight. He said it's really simple, there's the guy on AUFamily, auburn4ever, and i am just helping him with his post count. jk

It's always good to come here for news and find the panic.

nope i doubt it

I doubt it too, although, it wouldn't shock me. Now, without coker I think they drop one or two.

Probably not

My complaints about our O this year are about the things the coaches could control.

What was with all of the substitutions? What happened to HUNH?

What happened to the Zone Reads, especially with JJ in the game? I think we did more IZR plays with SW, and almost none with JJ until the TAMU game. I saw no confidence in the coaches in JJ, even running the ball.

Why did it take so long to figure out Jovon Robinson was a back who could bounce it to the outside? That is something we have not had for some time.

What Roc Thomas' issue injuries? We did not use him much to pressure the edge.

With both of the above, we did not see much Buck Sweep. We saw an awful lot of Power, Counter Trey, and Jet Sweep.

The QB play was the big problem. Opposing defenses played our WRs close, which took away the Bubble Screen. But that should have opened up short hooks and outs, but JJ had very poor accuracy on those passes, so we rarely threw them.

My complaints about our O this year are about the things the coaches could control.

What was with all of the substitutions? What happened to HUNH?

He has always done this. It worked to our benefit two years ago when teams like bama rushed their own subs to react and fkr confused. Not so much this year

What happened to the Zone Reads, especially with JJ in the game? I think we did more IZR plays with SW, and almost none with JJ until the TAMU game. I saw no confidence in the coaches in JJ, even running the ball.

JJ runs scared. Hard to run ZR with a timid qb

Why did it take so long to figure out Jovon Robinson was a back who could bounce it to the outside? That is something we have not had for some time.

JR was banged up for a while and may have also been in the doghouse a bit. JR admitted publicly mid season that he had been focused on the wrong thing

What Roc Thomas' issue injuries? We did not use him much to pressure the edge.

He gets injured a lot. May need to add weight to take the beating required of a RB

With both of the above, we did not see much Buck Sweep. We saw an awful lot of Power, Counter Trey, and Jet Sweep.

The QB play was the big problem. Opposing defenses played our WRs close, which took away the Bubble Screen. But that should have opened up short hooks and outs, but JJ had very poor accuracy on those passes, so we rarely threw them.

and to compound the issue, SW got hurt and the 3rd string TQ had season ending surgery 2 weeks into the season

Probably not

Y'all are giving Henry a little bit too much credit. He's a good back, no doubt... but he's not the reason bama wins. Their defense is, and has always been the reason they win year-in, year-out! They could only kick field goals, and they'd still win. That defense has been that good!

Henry is a piece to a puzzle, but again, they'd still be 11-1 without Henry.

Probably not

Y'all are giving Henry a little bit too much credit. He's a good back, no doubt... but he's not the reason bama wins. Their defense is, and has always been the reason they win year-in, year-out! They could only kick field goals, and they'd still win. That defense has been that good!

Henry is a piece to a puzzle, but again, they'd still be 11-1 without Henry.

I'd agree most years. This year I don't. They had some depth issues at Rb this year. Without Henry their offense would have been really bad this year. They wouldn't have tanked, but they probably lose 3 games.

Whisky - defense

Arky - defense

Auburn - defense

MSU - defense

LSU - defense

A&M - defense

UGA - defense

The only game one could say their 'defense' didn't win the game, is Tennessee... and Coker was the MVP of that game!

Henry is good! He's gonna win the heisman!

But... He is not the reason, bama is probably gonna win the natty.

Whisky - defense

Arky - defense

Auburn - defense

MSU - defense

LSU - defense

A&M - defense

UGA - defense

The only game one could say their 'defense' didn't win the game, is Tennessee... and Coker was the MVP of that game!

Henry is good! He's gonna win the heisman!

But... He is not the reason, bama is probably gonna win the natty.

Nissan, I was fine with this post until you bought up the Natty. :(

I doubt seriously bama wins the natty. We could have beaten them with a couple good bounces and actual holding calls by the refs (which WILL be called in a playoff with other conference refs) and half our board wants the whole staff fired. They played close games with some pretty bad teams and the SEC this year may be the worst it's been in a decade. I don't think they have the qb play to win the natty and that is almost always required. Of course, JMO.

Archived