concerning lashlee

aubiefifty

Who could honestly fill Lashlee's role? There's no one we know of coaching that knows the ends and out of Gus's offense.

Gus' offense is hardly some ancient-Babylonian treasure only decipherable by Indiana Jones. I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of offensive minds out there who can learn the basics: "get a first down, run up to the line quickly and run the RB up the middle for 1-2 yards, then try a 50 yard bomb downfield on 2nd and 8 into double coverage".

You forgot 3rd down with the seven step drop back by the qb with 2 play fakes with the d showing heavy blitz followed by the qb running for his life and either making a desperation throw or getting sacked.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who could honestly fill Lashlee's role? There's no one we know of coaching that knows the ends and out of Gus's offense.

Gus' offense is hardly some ancient-Babylonian treasure only decipherable by Indiana Jones. I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of offensive minds out there who can learn the basics: "get a first down, run up to the line quickly and run the RB up the middle for 1-2 yards, then try a 50 yard bomb downfield on 2nd and 8 into double coverage".

You forgot 3rd down with the seven step drop back by the qb with 2 play fakes with the d showing heavy blitz followed by the qb running for his life and either making a desperation throw or getting sacked.

Or throwing it a yard short of the first down...

At this point it is obvious that Gus himself would do himself a favor by learning some other ideas from a fresh face. The basics of his offense aren't complicated...that is the entire principle behind why it can theoretically go "fast". A complex offense can't be run at light-speed.

Best kind of post- funny but completely true.

Who could honestly fill Lashlee's role? There's no one we know of coaching that knows the ends and out of Gus's offense.. A former player of his that understands the offense? Rhett has been with Gus for a long time playing and coaching in the system. They are a pair. DC has coached WR's for two year he's familiar but not a expert on Gus's system.

If Gus fired him he would have to find a OC that runs his own system. Of course he would want someone with similar views but the amount he will be involved will be lessened, like a Chad Morris (for example) I don't think he'd want that.

Well, there's some defensive coordinators who seem to have figured out Gus' offense pretty well with minimal study, so I think we could find an offensive mind who could wrap his head around it. :)/>

Gus himself is a very bright coach and one of the best offensive minds still. He was handcuffed due to personnel, and the offense while is heavily influenced by him, its not 100% his. If you have a cardboard cut out at QB I could draw up some ball plays to stop em.

Gus should try the wishbone offense for next season. Heck why not? He could close all practices this Spring and Summer. I would like to see the faces on opposing coaches when Gus rolls this out. If the other teams start to figure this out, then switch back to the spread.

all offensive systems require good players who can execute. AU's 2015 offense was severely lacking at the QB position and receiver. We have all seen what this offense can do with the right pieces in place. Man did not fall asleep and forget how to coach.

all offensive systems require good players who can execute. AU's 2015 offense was severely lacking at the QB position and receiver. We have all seen what this offense can do with the right pieces in place. Man did not fall asleep and forget how to coach.

Not good enough in 2015. You had better overcome or get crucified. Gus pissed me off with play calling and substitution moves in the 2nd half of the UGA game, but I know he's a very good coach who can get it done. But we all know he's gone next season if he goes 8-4 or worse.

Who could honestly fill Lashlee's role? There's no one we know of coaching that knows the ends and out of Gus's offense.. A former player of his that understands the offense? Rhett has been with Gus for a long time playing and coaching in the system. They are a pair. DC has coached WR's for two year he's familiar but not a expert on Gus's system.

If Gus fired him he would have to find a OC that runs his own system. Of course he would want someone with similar views but the amount he will be involved will be lessened, like a Chad Morris (for example) I don't think he'd want that.

Well, there's some defensive coordinators who seem to have figured out Gus' offense pretty well with minimal study, so I think we could find an offensive mind who could wrap his head around it. :)/>

Gus himself is a very bright coach and one of the best offensive minds still. He was handcuffed due to personnel, and the offense while is heavily influenced by him, its not 100% his. If you have a cardboard cut out at QB I could draw up some ball plays to stop em.

Uga and wiscy did pretty well against NM. Gus' offense isn't rocket science. RL could be replaced, IF Gus wanted some fresh perspective.

If Gus doesn't wake up from the expensive nap he took during the 2015 season to the tune of at least 9 wins in 2016 including one win against uga or spuat, then Gus will need to find a new couch to nap on in 2017.

wde

Or he could consult all the expertise on what he needs to do from here. That should solve all his problems.

LOL, weak but expected.

Man was fortunate to have ace qb first 2 years and OC year. Will we have an ace qb every year? No. Are we just going to write off every year that we have a hiccup at qb? Better coaching on O gives us two more wins imo. We need an OC that adds something to the mix.

Man was fortunate to have ace qb first 2 years and OC year. Will we have an ace qb every year? No. Are we just going to write off every year that we have a hiccup at qb? Better coaching on O gives us two more wins imo. We need an OC that adds something to the mix.

We've only had 1 hiccup at qb...and I'm pretty sure he recruited the "ace". Doesn't matter, I know.

He had offensive weapons last season and the offense clearly went backwards. Was it a bad offense? Of course not, but our redzone problems actually started becoming apparent last season. The problem has only grown this season, with some really odd playcalls consistently causing us to kick field goals.

To me Gus looks looks an X's and O's coach who can't truly improvise or adjust. If he's got all the pieces in place and he KNOWS what he has, he can really utilize it to its fullest. But see something go wrong? Absolutely no creativity or versatility to salvage the product in some way. That to me automatically disqualifies any talk about him being a "genius". A "genius", even with a pile of crap, should be able to mold SOMETHING that resembles an offense. The offense obviously revolves around the QB, but realize that Baylor lost its starting QB to injury this season and was forced to go to a (talented) freshman backup. The result? They kept winning until eventually losing a close game to Oklahoma. Here's where it gets fun: their backup QB then gets injured and they are forced to go with a guy who they had converted to WR! In that game they somehow managed to beat what was at the time #6 Oklahoma State on the road...with a 3rd string WR/QB running their offense. They then barely lose to TCU in double overtime by only 7 points...with that 3rd string WR/QB. The point? Notice how their offense didn't suddenly turn to dog-meat once things started going wrong. Even with the 3rd string playing poorly against TCU, they still managed to do some things which kept them in the game by ADJUSTING. Meanwhile over here JJ turns into a bust and we struggle to even beat the cupcakes on our schedule. We put White in and they seem to have no idea how to use him; seemingly having him play with a hand tied behind his back. My favorite: we've a mess at QB, Jovon Robinson starts playing well yet for some reason he mysteriously disappears from games while we attempt to pass our way to victory? What?

Let's not over-simplify this offense for the sake of hyperbole...

There is at least one more play wherein the team sprints to the line, Meerkat-stares at the sideline, wonders why the grad assistant is holding a play card with a picture of a bear ravaging Leonardo DiCaprio, and then an official throws a flag for illegal shift/formation/motion/substitution.

Every good coach needs some good jimmies and joes...

Let's not over-simplify this offense for the sake of hyperbole...

There is at least one more play wherein the team sprints to the line, Meerkat-stares at the sideline, wonders why the grad assistant is holding a play card with a picture of a bear ravaging Leonardo DiCaprio, and then an official throws a flag for illegal shift/formation/motion/substitution.

Yes. That is the one time during a game when Gus will get pissed enough to raise his voice at a referee.

He had offensive weapons last season and the offense clearly went backwards. Was it a bad offense? Of course not, but our redzone problems actually started becoming apparent last season. The problem has only grown this season, with some really odd playcalls consistently causing us to kick field goals.

To me Gus looks looks an X's and O's coach who can't truly improvise or adjust. If he's got all the pieces in place and he KNOWS what he has, he can really utilize it to its fullest. But see something go wrong? Absolutely no creativity or versatility to salvage the product in some way. That to me automatically disqualifies any talk about him being a "genius". A "genius", even with a pile of crap, should be able to mold SOMETHING that resembles an offense. The offense obviously revolves around the QB, but realize that Baylor lost its starting QB to injury this season and was forced to go to a (talented) freshman backup. The result? They kept winning until eventually losing a close game to Oklahoma. Here's where it gets fun: their backup QB then gets injured and they are forced to go with a guy who they had converted to WR! In that game they somehow managed to beat what was at the time #6 Oklahoma State on the road...with a 3rd string WR/QB running their offense. They then barely lose to TCU in double overtime by only 7 points...with that 3rd string WR/QB. The point? Notice how their offense didn't suddenly turn to dog-meat once things started going wrong. Even with the 3rd string playing poorly against TCU, they still managed to do some things which kept them in the game by ADJUSTING. Meanwhile over here JJ turns into a bust and we struggle to even beat the cupcakes on our schedule. We put White in and they seem to have no idea how to use him; seemingly having him play with a hand tied behind his back. My favorite: we've a mess at QB, Jovon Robinson starts playing well yet for some reason he mysteriously disappears from games while we attempt to pass our way to victory? What?

I've I already used the Baylor example two times now. It continues to fall on deaf ears.

Man, the way some on here think it's an excuse to say Robinson didn't play because of pass blocking or say it's as simple as putting an extra man in the box so we don't see him in the second half of games is mind boggling to me. I don't care what it is or how stupid or bad it may be there will always be somebody in their favorite coaches corner and he won't be able to do no wrong in their eyes

Or he could consult all the expertise on what he needs to do from here. That should solve all his problems.

C'mon man, that's a little generic for you, if you're going with those worn out lines you gotta bring it fresh. Where's the creativity? :)

Don't bother, we have an army of folks on here who are willing to give Gus and Rhett a free pass for any inconvenience suffered during the season. Next year the 1st and 2nd string rbs might get injured and the 3rd string arrested. Oh well, nothing Gus and Rhett can do about that. Free pass #2 and so on.

Forget that Gus played a "star receiver" for half the season who seemed lethargic and disinterested in helping the qb and team out. He was called out by every announcer and analyst in the country for his lethargic routes and half efforts to catch passes.

Forget the couple or three games we could have won if we had better playcalling.

Gus had qb issues, forget it all.

Don't bother, we have an army of folks on here who are willing to give Gus and Rhett a free pass for any inconvenience suffered during the season. Next year the 1st and 2nd string rbs might get injured and the 3rd string arrested. Oh well, nothing Gus and Rhett can do about that. Free pass #2 and so on.

Forget that Gus played a "star receiver" for half the season who seemed lethargic and disinterested in helping the qb and team out. He was called out by every announcer and analyst in the country for his lethargic routes and half efforts to catch passes.

Forget the couple or three games we could have won if we had better playcalling.

Forget that two of the 3 seasons we had a top 20 offense. Forget that 3 qbs had issues, 1 choked, 2 injured. Forget that SW had the offense going but the D wasn't quite enough...and by the time WM got the D turning around, SW got injured, leaving the only option at qb JJ or 4th string. Was there some questionable playcals? You bet. Is that reason enough to completely ignore all the other facts involved and completely disregard 2 seasons of really good offense? Not hardly. If it continues for one more year then there is certainly a case, but 1 season out of 3 without a top 20 offense doesn't get people fired, and if it does NOONE in their right mind worth a damn would ever want to coach for us knowing they could only have one bad season to get fired. This mindset of fire someone because you didn't like this season is flat out pathetic. Just because should be held accountable for a bad season does not mean they should be fired. That is not the only option as some of you are so intensely suggested. That line of thinking from a CEO would run every business in the world into the ground. Thank goodness you guys don't get to make these decisions. I sure hope you don't have a bad year at work this year or I'd expect you will be stepping down, right? Whatever. I'm done with this bammer mindset of success every year or someone needs to be fired. It is not how Auburn men and women are expected to act. Apparently a lot of this board never actually went to auburn to become one of the family or have completely forgotten along the way.

Forget that two of the 3 seasons we had a top 20 offense. Forget that 3 qbs had issues, 1 choked, 2 injured. Forget that SW had the offense going but the D wasn't quite enough...and by the time WM got the D turning around, SW got injured, leaving the only option at qb JJ or 4th string. Was there some questionable playcals? You bet. Is that reason enough to completely ignore all the other facts involved and completely disregard 2 seasons of really good offense? Not hardly. If it continues for one more year then there is certainly a case, but 1 season out of 3 without a top 20 offense doesn't get people fired, and if it does NOONE in their right mind worth a damn would ever want to coach for us knowing they could only have one bad season to get fired. This mindset of fire someone because you didn't like this season is flat out pathetic. Just because should be held accountable for a bad season does not mean they should be fired. That is not the only option as some of you are so intensely suggested. That line of thinking from a CEO would run every business in the world into the ground. Thank goodness you guys don't get to make these decisions. I sure hope you don't have a bad year at work this year or I'd expect you will be stepping down, right? Whatever. I'm done with this bammer mindset of success every year or someone needs to be fired. It is not how Auburn men and women are expected to act. Apparently a lot of this board never actually went to auburn to become one of the family or have completely forgotten along the way.

Don't take Metatrolls bait! He's not an Auburn man!

About that playcalling: Only a fool would call plays that his guys can't execute. When a key position like QB is limited, your play selection is limited. Then the defense starts piling on the few things your guy CAN do and it snowballs downhill.

Been there, done that, got the scars.

Archived