Thompson

AuburnSpider

Both AuburnUndercover and Rivals are saying that Auburn didn't offer LT a long-term extension.

This makes sense. I think Steele should decide who his staff is. Good luck Coach Thompson. Thank you for what you did while here.

WDE!!

Do you think this means that Steele didn't want him?

I have no idea. I just meant it made sense not to give him a long term deal until AU finds out who Steele wants on his staff. I'm not privy to how the two of them felt about each other.

I read that they were friends as their paths have crossed several times. I doubt they have even had time to talk about the job. Which makes it even more surprising that LT would jump so fast. Maybe he knows that he would not get the Asst HC title and salary increase at Auburn,

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both AuburnUndercover and Rivals are saying that Auburn didn't offer LT a long-term extension.

It's a sad development on several levels then. How in the world you let the man who did one of the best defensive jobs for Auburn in years just walk away like that is beyond me. smh

THIS........ is Auburn football!

Looks that way. Well Gus now owns this decision and everything that flows from it.

LTs fate was decided as soon as we agreed to hire his coworker from a year ago. Straight up slap in the face to LT. He would have to be the most humble person in the profession to stay after this. Definitely understand his leaving.

I think the prudent move is to see who Steele gets on his staff before everyone decides to jump off a bridge. Patience, folks.

+1

I think Titan may have posted something similar on another thread, but I agree with the notion that CLT perhaps stayed only to coach the bowl and that the only reason he would have stayed following the bowl would be as DC. Coach M and the AD went with the stronger record in the hire, though I'm in the "hate what it cost" camp. CLT did everything well up to and during the bowl from what little I can glean; he just wasn't Auburn's DC choice. As for WM, I'm not a fan...in truth, never have been. Let the chips fall where they may...passion comes in many forms. His particular brand won't be embarrassing AUBURN during a needed-yardage Iron Bowl again...unless we fail to remember.

Well, coaching is certainly a mercinary business. Wonder how many coaches would be at Auburn, or virtually any university, without the big bucks being paid. That said this has the feel of no good deed goes unpunished.

This has been in the works for some time. It isn't a shock for the other coaches. There was a slight chance he stayed, but he chose to go and coach with colleagues that he had worked with previously and enjoyed. A lot of you are taking this really personally. You shouldn't

It's a sad development on several levels then. How in the world you let the man who did one of the best defensive jobs for Auburn in years just walk away like that is beyond me. smh

Looks that way. Well Gus now owns this decision and everything that flows from it.

LTs fate was decided as soon as we agreed to hire his coworker from a year ago. Straight up slap in the face to LT. He would have to be the most humble person in the profession to stay after this. Definitely understand his leaving.

I dont necessarily agree with any of this. I can understand him leaving but not because our DC hire was KS.

This has been in the works for some time. It isn't a shock for the other coaches. There was a slight chance he stayed, but he chose to go and coach with colleagues that he had worked with previously and enjoyed. A lot of you are taking this really personally. You shouldn't

There's nothing personal about it. I think he's a fine coach. I've just had many doubts over the years about the judgement that goes into our coaching hires. This situation is no exception. I believe no effort was made at all to keep him. That's what I believe and that's what disappoints me.

Lots of coaches resist the urge to shop themselves every few years...but the way we have done things seems to put us in the market for guys who are money motivated and have about as little loyalty to AU as we do for them

My thoughts as well...birds of a feather...no insults intended. Life's just too short to work with people you DON'T enjoy...thanks for always keeping it real and light, BB!

I don't have a premium account but in one of the free to view threads someone said Ron, and I'm assuming Ron Sanders, said that LT saw the same internal issues that muschamp did.

Agree with Foundation on this one. Not a big fan of KS. I would rather Gus have taken a chance on Thompson than KS. Really hate that Thompson left, but I cannot blame him if things played out like what I have read.

Lots of coaches resist the urge to shop themselves every few years...but the way we have done things seems to put us in the market for guys who are money motivated and have about as little loyalty to AU as we do for them

You're right and the way Auburn treats its coaches why would any of them be loyal? Auburn burns through more coaches than just about any other program in the league. I could well be wrong about that but it sure seems that way to me.

I don't have a premium account but in one of the free to view threads someone said Ron, and I'm assuming Ron Sanders, said that LT saw the same internal issues that muschamp did.

This makes me sad

I think the prudent move is to see who Steele gets on his staff before everyone decides to jump off a bridge. Patience, folks.

It'd take a bit more than this to force me over the edge but it does seem Auburn's Athletic Dept makes a lot of questionable decisions. I chalk this up as just another example of how poor our hiring process is.

This about sums it up ^^

Does he??? Do you KNOW this was Gus's call?? Are you positive the AD didn't have anything to do with what could be offered to LT to stay? No need to let things like facts (or absense thereof) get in the way of your guesses, right?

He made Robison a DC we didn't offer, we didn't make Thompson a long term offer.....essentially he built a hell of a staff with our rejects

It would not have made sense for us to offer T-Rob as a DC. He has WM to mentor him at SC, but we have an offensive minded head coach. I am a little perturbed that T-Rob didn't want to stay with us, but understand that he wanted to grow in his career and wasn't patient enough to stay at AU and wait his turn. We aren't patient with coaches, but they aren't patient either. We gambled on WM and it has come back to bite us. I really hope that KS is a success and that he wants to stay at AU for a while. I'm tired of this every year.

Does he??? Do you KNOW this was Gus's call?? Are you positive the AD didn't have anything to do with what could be offered to LT to stay? No need to let things like facts (or absense thereof) get in the way of your guesses, right?

I am stating a fact. Look, the "fact" is that Gus is the head coach, he decides on his staff, those are his decisions and he owns those decisions. That's the way it is. If you want to speculate and "guess" beyond that fact with tin foil hat speculation then have at it. I'm not interested.

Agree with Foundation on this one. Not a big fan of KS. I would rather Gus have taken a chance on Thompson than KS. Really hate that Thompson left, but I cannot blame him if things played out like what I have read.

I agree. Considering everything, I can't blame Lance either.

I think Lance has known he was heading to USCe before we made any announcement about Steele. If Gus had seriously considered Thompson for DC, he'd have offered him right off the bat and saved the trouble of the search.

I don't blame Lance, but I don't blame Malzahn for looking around either. One decent defensive game, against an over matched opponent, when we had shown a lot of progress defensively by the IB doesn't mean he should have made a snap hire. They did a good job prepping for the bowl game, but it wasn't all LT's doing. Kudos to the entire staff and players on the game too. Malzahn did his due diligence.

It's funny that a coach has one bad bowl game and everyone says how he's unfit to be our coach. Then, a coach has one good game against an over matched opponent and everyone laments not handing him the keys to the Defense.

WDE!

Ya know this feels like management chasing the power curve instead of having a solid foundation plan that has a proven success record. Regardless, we are now all on board and will cheer heartily as we see how this plays out. In the meantime I am curious how the kids we are recruiting accept the changes....

Archived