Thompson

AuburnSpider

This whole "Lance did a great job in the bowl game...he should have been DC" stuff reminds me of how well we did defensively against LSU in 2012. Remember that game? We lost 12-10, and really could have won it. It looked like a turning point of the season and it was the best the defense had played up to that point. They played with a lot of heart and intensity. Then the freaking wheels fell off.

You can't make a hire of this magnitude based off of one game's performance. We've made enough questionable decisions over the recent years. I'm glad we didn't add to them.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kudos to Lance for a good bowl game showing and the defense "got better" as the year went along. Generally speaking. But let's not make Lance Thompson into something he is not. Losing puppet master will muchamp was a much bigger deal. Steele is a solid hire that will be here for a while if he keeps his run of solid performances.

I don't have a premium account but in one of the free to view threads someone said Ron, and I'm assuming Ron Sanders, said that LT saw the same internal issues that muschamp did.

Think maybe they were the internal issues?

Late to the party, was hoping Lance would stay. Now that he's gone, I'm feeling sad. :(

I don't have a premium account but in one of the free to view threads someone said Ron, and I'm assuming Ron Sanders, said that LT saw the same internal issues that muschamp did.

Think maybe they were the internal issues?

As fair a speculation as anything else lately. Everything doesn't have to be Auburn's misfire. Best of genuine victory in the things that really matter to all coaches, everywhere...and may the fits and staff chemistry be solid.

Can't wait to see the KS staff! Wow Muschamp built a great defensive staff at USCe.... Wait he just took our defensive staff?!

Even still, he's got a very good defensive staff.

I hate to see LT leave in that he is really a good coach. I wish him well and hope that he can hang with XCWM for the 3 years he will be their HC before he gets fired for going 16-21 in Columbia. Maybe this is a bit too optimistic for the chickens.

Interesting that WM chose T-Rob over LT for DC. He likes both, but gave the younger protege the nod.

It is interesting, but perhaps it was to help lure T-Rob from Auburn. :dunno:

Interesting that WM chose T-Rob over LT for DC. He likes both, but gave the younger protege the nod.

It is interesting, but perhaps it was to help lure T-Rob from Auburn. :dunno:

Probably figured he could always get LT (and maybe even already had it lined up) and needed to get T-Rob while the opportunity was there in the excitement of a new job opportunity.

But what's done is done.....and as I noted earlier, as long as Carl Lawson did not follow them, I'm OK with the change.

That is why I was surprised that CLT jumped to USCe. There must have been a degree of disappointment in having his D do so well against Memphis and then being passed over. Maybe they will be co-DCs.

That is why I was surprised that CLT jumped to USCe. There must have been a degree of disappointment in having his D do so well against Memphis and then being passed over. Maybe they will be co-DCs.

Thompson was passed over long before the bowl game. Gus announced Steele's hire in his post-game radio spot. That had to have been in the works for a long while before the bowl game.

There's something not quite right in the Gus/Auburn/Thompson relationship. I don't know what it is and who, if anybody, is at fault but hiring Thompson at DC would have been an easy, relatively cheap and obvious thing to do. That it wasn't done tells us something isn't as it should be with us and Thompson and he wasn't going to be retained in any case.

Thompson was passed over long before the bowl game. Gus announced Steele's hire in his post-game radio spot. That had to have been in the works for a long while before the bowl game.

There's something not quite right in the Gus/Auburn/Thompson relationship. I don't know what it is and who, if anybody, is at fault but hiring Thompson at DC would have been an easy, relatively cheap and obvious thing to do. That it wasn't done tells us something isn't as it should be with us and Thompson and he wasn't going to be retained in any case.

For all we really know, Lance could have told Gus early on he intended to join Will after the bowl game. Maybe the reverse happened and Gus told Lance he wasn't in the running early on. However, I don't believe the Steele hire was a surprise to him and forced his hand after the bowl game. I think he had known for quite a while what he intended to do.

Why would hiring Thompson be an obvious thing to do? He's a career position coach with a little bit of DC experience several years ago. The obvious thing to do is look around and find who is interested among the group you'd like to choose from for DC, then make your decisions from there. That's what Malzahn did.

Pretty good stuff

For all we really know, Lance could have told Gus early on he intended to join Will after the bowl game. Maybe the reverse happened and Gus told Lance he wasn't in the running early on. However, I don't believe the Steele hire was a surprise to him and forced his hand after the bowl game. I think he had known for quite a while what he intended to do.

Why would hiring Thompson be an obvious thing to do? He's a career position coach with a little bit of DC experience several years ago. The obvious thing to do is look around and find who is interested among the group you'd like to choose from for DC, then make your decisions from there. That's what Malzahn did.

It tells me that Malzahn wanted an experienced SEC DC to take over his defense. I don't know where the theories of nefarious personality conflicts come from. Unless someone has some insider knowledge, which the Steele hiring shows no one on this board had, (or was willing to share.)

Pretty good stuff

Yep....something was agreed to earlier...but I give LT credit for doing a great prep job for the Memphis game and for making some recruiting calls that helped keep a few of our commits in line..

BUT....if he goes back to those same guys and tries to pull them over to USCe....I'm gonna take him off my Christmas card list for next year.

PS...personality conflicts don't have to be nefarious....they are a normal part of group dynamics....even among coaches.

Archived