Thompson

AuburnSpider

Both AuburnUndercover and Rivals are saying that Auburn didn't offer LT a long-term extension.

This makes sense. I think Steele should decide who his staff is. Good luck Coach Thompson. Thank you for what you did while here.

WDE!!

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both AuburnUndercover and Rivals are saying that Auburn didn't offer LT a long-term extension.

This makes sense. I think Steele should decide who his staff is. Good luck Coach Thompson. Thank you for what you did while here.

WDE!!

Do you think this means that Steele didn't want him?

WDE!!

I don't know about "didn't want", but it may indicate he has some other candidates he likes just as well that won't command the same premium LT would.

WDE!!

I have no idea. I just meant it made sense not to give him a long term deal until AU finds out who Steele wants on his staff. I'm not privy to how the two of them felt about each other.

If Au really wanted him I'm sure they could have managed to keep him. Like previously stated Chomp did us a proper. Class move by a class guy. Should be easy enough to find a good LB coach. Finding one that was as good at recruiting might not be.

Why isnt anyone raiding Bama's staff? Aren't they supposed to be the absolute cream of the crop since they coach under Nick Saban?

maybe this is where Steele will look

WDE!!

I don't know about "didn't want", but it may indicate he has some other candidates he likes just as well that won't command the same premium LT would.

Why would Steele care what LT is being paid? Or are you talking about Jacobs? Either way, , Im not feeling near as good about the hire now that LT is out. If overall payroll is that big of a consideration they should have just given the job to Lance. I guarantee you Auburn could have hired him for way less than $4mil over 3 years and half of that $650K pay out.

I don't have anything for Muschump. He made a lateral move to take the same job as DC. After failing miserably as a head coach at Florida where there is no shortage of facilities, talent, etc. then we pay out the wazoo to get him as our DC and unless Lawson was playing there was little or no difference in our defense this year. I don't understand why so many wish him well. What did he do for Auburn that was so great and wonderful? Needless to say I hope he fails miserably.

I don't have anything for Muschump. He made a lateral move to take the same job as DC. After failing miserably as a head coach at Florida where there is no shortage of facilities, talent, etc. then we pay out the wazoo to get him as our DC and unless Lawson was playing there was little or no difference in our defense this year. I don't understand why so many wish him well. What did he do for Auburn that was so great and wonderful? Needless to say I hope he fails miserably.

I didn't want the guy either. I had a feeling he'd do the same thing to Au he's done twice before. Of course, I dont blame him for taking a $16mil 5 year contract. My frustration is with Auburn feeling he was their best option.

It's a sad development on several levels then. How in the world you let the man who did one of the best defensive jobs for Auburn in years just walk away like that is beyond me. smh

It's a sad development on several levels then. How in the world you let the man who did one of the best defensive jobs for Auburn in years just walk away like that is beyond me. smh

THIS........ is Auburn football!

Why isnt anyone raiding Bama's staff? Aren't they supposed to be the absolute cream of the crop since they coach under Nick Saban?

Their DC got hired as the HC at UGA and he took their DBs coach with him to be the DC

If Steele wanted him that bad they would have found a way. Jacobs is always bragging about a surplus of athletic money so they would have given him the money if Steele wanted him and money was the difference between SC and AU. I just dont think they wanted him to stay.

If Steele wanted him that bad they would have found a way. Jacobs is always bragging about a surplus of athletic money so they would have given him the money if Steele wanted him and money was the difference between SC and AU. I just dont think they wanted him to stay.

Dont quote me on this but, Im betting they'll regret letting him go. KS is calling the shots I guess and, in my opinion, he's off to a terrible start.

I think the prudent move is to see who Steele gets on his staff before everyone decides to jump off a bridge. Patience, folks.

Their DC got hired as the HC at UGA and he took their DBs coach with him to be the DC

Well, our new *ahem* DC was their LB coach a year ago...and we just ran out of town the other lb coach they had 2 years ago.

I am completely befuddled as to what in the world are thinking hiring bamas lb coach from a year ago in order to to let the guy who split responsibilities at the same time with KS, who was already on our staff, did an amazing job recruiting and formulated the best defensive game plan we've seen in years just walk out the door. Fantastic leadership move there. I hope this doesn't blow up in our faces, but if it does we will have deserved it.

Money has rarely been an issue with AU...conclusion=AU/Gus did not try to keep him

I think the prudent move is to see who Steele gets on his staff before everyone decides to jump off a bridge. Patience, folks.

It'd take a bit more than this to force me over the edge but it does seem Auburn's Athletic Dept makes a lot of questionable decisions. I chalk this up as just another example of how poor our hiring process is.

Looks that way. Well Gus now owns this decision and everything that flows from it.

Looks that way. Well Gus now owns this decision and everything that flows from it.

Honestly, I wish I was just a little bit more optimistic than I am. I hope it all works out or this hire could be the equivalent of Tubs Tony Franklin hire. Time will tell.

Archived