Thompson

AuburnSpider

It tells me LT wanted to coach with someone he has worked with 3 different times and happens to knows his scheme very well. It also tells me that the move to SC was known for a while and as professionals, LT, Gus, and Will would have known about it.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting that WM chose T-Rob over LT for DC. He likes both, but gave the younger protege the nod.

That is why I was surprised that CLT jumped to USCe. There must have been a degree of disappointment in having his D do so well against Memphis and then being passed over. Maybe they will be co-DCs.

Thompson was passed over long before the bowl game. Gus announced Steele's hire in his post-game radio spot. That had to have been in the works for a long while before the bowl game.

There's something not quite right in the Gus/Auburn/Thompson relationship. I don't know what it is and who, if anybody, is at fault but hiring Thompson at DC would have been an easy, relatively cheap and obvious thing to do. That it wasn't done tells us something isn't as it should be with us and Thompson and he wasn't going to be retained in any case.

Pretty good stuff

Yep....something was agreed to earlier...but I give LT credit for doing a great prep job for the Memphis game and for making some recruiting calls that helped keep a few of our commits in line..

BUT....if he goes back to those same guys and tries to pull them over to USCe....I'm gonna take him off my Christmas card list for next year.

PS...personality conflicts don't have to be nefarious....they are a normal part of group dynamics....even among coaches.

especially with coaches that are all Alphas trying to work together.

Muschamp better worry about offense that is what bit him last time.

^^This^^

I've seen this a lot but in my opinion, CGM'S O was a QB away from being good. I think we saw that with UF's O this year. Say what you want but CWM recruited those guys. Before anyone compares the '13 AU O as being Chizik's, Gus recruited most of those players for his O. jmo

Both AuburnUndercover and Rivals are saying that Auburn didn't offer LT a long-term extension.

It's a sad development on several levels then. How in the world you let the man who did one of the best defensive jobs for Auburn in years just walk away like that is beyond me. smh

^This^ At the same time, who really knows?

Probably been in the works for over a month. My issue is: why is it always AU waiting till the bowl game is over to announce, waiting for the replacements to be announced etc...

When AU knew Lance was leaving, why (for recruiting etc...) wasn't a replacement named immediately? Are the recruits thinking: AU's DB coach is who? LB coach is who?

The turds are playing for a title, they lose their DC to Georgia, and they can somehow name a staff basically immediately afterwards. Why can't we???

Both AuburnUndercover and Rivals are saying that Auburn didn't offer LT a long-term extension.

It's a sad development on several levels then. How in the world you let the man who did one of the best defensive jobs for Auburn in years just walk away like that is beyond me. smh

Probably been in the works for over a month. My issue is: why is it always AU waiting till the bowl game is over to announce, waiting for the replacements to be announced etc...

When AU knew Lance was leaving, why (for recruiting etc...) wasn't a replacement named immediately? Are the recruits thinking: AU's DB coach is who? LB coach is who?

The turds are playing for a title, they lose their DC to Georgia, and they can somehow name a staff basically immediately afterwards. Why can't we???

Each situation is different. Just my take on it. We needed to get Coach Steele after their bowl game, and I bet we have a LB Coach who is ready right now (T. Williams). We need to go get a secondary coach (if Blake Gideon isn't ready) and possibly one more but I think Coach Steele will have a say in it so let's see where it goes from here.

Personally...I think Coach Williams is ready to be the LB coach. He is young, firey, has a great personality and knows his stuff.

Each situation is different. Just my take on it. We needed to get Coach Steele after their bowl game, and I bet we have a LB Coach who is ready right now (T. Williams). We need to go get a secondary coach (if Blake Gideon isn't ready) and possibly one more but I think Coach Steele will have a say in it so let's see where it goes from here.

Personally...I think Coach Williams is ready to be the LB coach. He is young, firey, has a great personality and knows his stuff.

I agree. Certainly having all those things lined up is the perfect scenario, but I don't believe it's the norm. Why hasn't LSU already announced a replacement for Steele? Why hasn't Kirby announced a DC? Why did it take so long for South Carolina to name a LB coach? Because there are people involved in all these things and they don't operate on a school's favored time schedule all the time. Auburn probably didn't have a LB coach (or DB coach) ready to name because they didn't have their DC decided and wanted whoever that was to have significant input into who that would be. Steele probably has at least 2 or 3 guys he's interested in, may want to sit down with Travis Williams since he hasn't worked with him before, etc. And it wasn't a given that Thompson would bolt. We were offering him enough of an extension to get him vested in the AL state retirement system and a modest pay increase. All that stuff has to play out.

I guess I just don't see it as a big deal that we don't have all these pieces in place the second we announce a DC.

Why hasn't LSU already announced a replacement for Steele? It's been two days, not two months.

Why hasn't Kirby announced a DC? Legit question but a first time new HC who is moving, etc... Our HC is now in his fourth year our AD (heaven helps us) is in his first decade, a-little difference IMO.

Why did it take so long for South Carolina to name a LB coach? One day after our bowl they announced, why haven't we, that is my point?

​In another thread it was mentioned by another mod we did not offer Thompson an extension to get him vested. I don't know which mod is correct, I have no inside scoop.

​Possibly not a big deal, possibly is a big deal to recruiting. So far, so good on the recruiting front, let's hope it stays that way!

I agree. Certainly having all those things lined up is the perfect scenario, but I don't believe it's the norm. Why hasn't LSU already announced a replacement for Steele? Why hasn't Kirby announced a DC? Why did it take so long for South Carolina to name a LB coach? Because there are people involved in all these things and they don't operate on a school's favored time schedule all the time. Auburn probably didn't have a LB coach (or DB coach) ready to name because they didn't have their DC decided and wanted whoever that was to have significant input into who that would be. Steele probably has at least 2 or 3 guys he's interested in, may want to sit down with Travis Williams since he hasn't worked with him before, etc. And it wasn't a given that Thompson would bolt. We were offering him enough of an extension to get him vested in the AL state retirement system and a modest pay increase. All that stuff has to play out.

I guess I just don't see it as a big deal that we don't have all these pieces in place the second we announce a DC.

Any rush I would imagine is because recruits are in mind...The coaches you used as examples, it seems they are better recruiters than Gus so maybe they buy themselves more time? Muschamp even had his ace with him...I'm sure him not having a linebacker coach wasn't a concern at all if this was us replacing RL I don't think the worry would be the same

I don't have a premium account but in one of the free to view threads someone said Ron, and I'm assuming Ron Sanders, said that LT saw the same internal issues that muschamp did.

Well we had two coaches on staff at the same time that were comparing our internal "issues" with another program. Now we have a third coach from that tree....... I wonder what he will see when he gets settled?

Interesting that WM chose T-Rob over LT for DC. He likes both, but gave the younger protege the nod.

That is why I was surprised that CLT jumped to USCe. There must have been a degree of disappointment in having his D do so well against Memphis and then being passed over. Maybe they will be co-DCs.

Thompson was passed over long before the bowl game. Gus announced Steele's hire in his post-game radio spot. That had to have been in the works for a long while before the bowl game.

There's something not quite right in the Gus/Auburn/Thompson relationship. I don't know what it is and who, if anybody, is at fault but hiring Thompson at DC would have been an easy, relatively cheap and obvious thing to do. That it wasn't done tells us something isn't as it should be with us and Thompson and he wasn't going to be retained in any case.

For all we really know, Lance could have told Gus early on he intended to join Will after the bowl game. Maybe the reverse happened and Gus told Lance he wasn't in the running early on. However, I don't believe the Steele hire was a surprise to him and forced his hand after the bowl game. I think he had known for quite a while what he intended to do.

Why would hiring Thompson be an obvious thing to do? He's a career position coach with a little bit of DC experience several years ago. The obvious thing to do is look around and find who is interested among the group you'd like to choose from for DC, then make your decisions from there. That's what Malzahn did.

It tells me that Malzahn wanted an experienced SEC DC to take over his defense. I don't know where the theories of nefarious personality conflicts come from. Unless someone has some insider knowledge, which the Steele hiring shows no one on this board had, (or was willing to share.)

Umm, yeah. So, he went for guy with one year of SEC experience where the D did worse than it had in over 5 years? Great pick for an experienced SEc DC.

Yeah....Steele turned LSU's defense into a train wreck! Their offense did a great job protecting their time on the field against the powerful teams in the conference.

Sometimes you have to look past the records and see the entire picture....players who left for the draft in 2015, graduation and the number of returners with playing time. I'm not saying LSU was typical "LSU"...but damn.

Why hasn't LSU already announced a replacement for Steele? It's been two days, not two months.

Why hasn't Kirby announced a DC? Legit question but a first time new HC who is moving, etc... Our HC is now in his fourth year our AD (heaven helps us) is in his first decade, a-little difference IMO.

Why did it take so long for South Carolina to name a LB coach? One day after our bowl they announced, why haven't we, that is my point?

​In another thread it was mentioned by another mod we did not offer Thompson an extension to get him vested. I don't know which mod is correct, I have no inside scoop.

​Possibly not a big deal, possibly is a big deal to recruiting. So far, so good on the recruiting front, let's hope it stays that way!

Kirby is hiring Bama DB coach Mel Tucker as DC. Just so you know

Yeah....Steele turned LSU's defense into a train wreck! Their offense did a great job protecting their time on the field against the powerful teams in the conference.

Sometimes you have to look past the records and see the entire picture....players who left for the draft in 2015, graduation and the number of returners with playing time. I'm not saying LSU was typical "LSU"...but damn.

Who said it was a train wreck?

LSU had a good defense this year. Not as good as previous years, but they did lose 5 starters and at least two more from the two-deep on that side of the ball from 2014. And they had to endure yet another year of one-dimensional, predictable offense not giving them a lot of help against the better teams.

Any rush I would imagine is because recruits are in mind...The coaches you used as examples, it seems they are better recruiters than Gus so maybe they buy themselves more time? Muschamp even had his ace with him...I'm sure him not having a linebacker coach wasn't a concern at all if this was us replacing RL I don't think the worry would be the same

You make a lot sense Cole.

I wonder if Gus make any kind of offer to CLT to counter what XCWM offer him to come to USCe?

I don't have a premium account but in one of the free to view threads someone said Ron, and I'm assuming Ron Sanders, said that LT saw the same internal issues that muschamp did.

Think maybe they were the internal issues?

Think maybe they were the internal issues?

I do not think that there is some deep internal issue that caused XCWM and CLT to leave. All of these conspiracies going on under the radar.

Why hasn't LSU already announced a replacement for Steele? It's been two days, not two months. We didn't wait 2 months to do anything. Not sure where that comes from.

Why did it take so long for South Carolina to name a LB coach? One day after our bowl they announced, why haven't we, that is my point? Because until after our bowl we hadn't even named a Defensive Coordinator. Would you not expect the DC to have a little input into the rest of his staff? Common sense would say yes.

​In another thread it was mentioned by another mod we did not offer Thompson an extension to get him vested. I don't know which mod is correct, I have no inside scoop. It's my understanding we offered him an extension on his current contract of an additional year. South Carolina offered him a 3 year deal. Malzahn only got clearance to offer 1 year is what I've heard.

Kirby is hiring Bama DB coach Mel Tucker as DC. Just so you know

This is my understanding as well. Hasn't been named bc he is still coaching for Bama in championship game and they don't want additional distractions. Expect it to happen similar to our hiring of Steele, immediately following the game.

Tucker is gonna be Smarts DC, I think most expect this. It is obvious the Steele deal was in place at least a day or two prior, maybe more. To expect him to announce a staff before formally addressing the media is shortsighted at best. I am confident that he will bring in a great staff and it will be announced soon.

It's possible that Lance planned to go with Muschamp from the start ( it's possible he's the only reason he came to Auburn in the first place). Perhaps there was deal made were he agreed to stay on staff to coach the defense for the bowl game. If he left from the start it would of had a Huge impact on recruiting and it would have left 1 coach on staff to coach the defense (and recruit)...

Well we had two coaches on staff at the same time that were comparing our internal "issues" with another program. Now we have a third coach from that tree....... I wonder what he will see when he gets settled?

I'm interested in knowing what some of these issues are. Any indication of what they may be?

It was more like a high speed train going across the country side. We all know about the infamous 70-33 point game against WV. Gus put 44 points and 600 plus yards against bammer. Dave Aranda, the DC for Wisconsin, had 59 points scored on his defense a few years back during the Big 10 championship game against Ohio State. I think Bob Shoop had some serious point scored against his defense at Pen State. There are other games like this where very good DCs are on the receiving end of a lot of points and yardage.

I think that no matter how good of a DC you are, you are going to get a lot of points scored on your defense every so often. Brent Vennables, the DC at Clemson, had over 50 points scored on his defense at the hands of FSU's QB, Jamie Winston a few seasons back.

Ok I'm giving you 5 minutes to show a link stating Les was going to fire Steele. If not your post will go bye bye

edit changed my mind I gave you a minutre

Ok I'm giving you 5 minutes to show a link stating Les was going to fire Steele. If not your post will go bye bye

Hahaha. Nice comeback

Archived