Minn Rocky Top

TennTiger

I saw this in today's Knoxville News Sentinel

There was a time when Alabama was one of the most respected programs in college football, a time when no one would dare think of taunting the Crimson Tide.

As painful as it may be for the folks in Tuscalosa to say it, those days are gone.

After all, its one thing for a middle-of-the-pack Big Ten team like Minnesota to beat Alabama, as the Golden Gophers did, 20-16, in the Music City Bowl in Nashville on Dec. 31.

It's something else for that same middle-of-the-pack team's band to end the game playing Rocky Top, kicking sand in the face of a fallen program.

"They knew," said Alabama offensive lineman WesleyBritt. "They knew what they were doing. It was no acident. They waited until the end (to play it), until they knew they'd won. It was uncomfortable."

WDE :au:

Are you implying that Wesley Britt could be wrong and really did not need to feel uncomfortable?

"They knew," said Alabama offensive lineman WesleyBritt. "They knew what they were doing. It was no acident. They waited until the end (to play it), until they knew they'd won. It was uncomfortable."

i assumed that's why they played it. i really don't think it had anything to do with bama although given the rivalry it does add a tinge of humor.

kind of like Mike Price walking on UTEP'S practice field for the first time to the tune of SWEET HOME ALABAMA. This was not intentionally done to hurt Price.

i assumed that's why they played it. i really don't think it had anything to do with bama although given the rivalry it does add a tinge of humor.

137524[/snapback]

A tinge(!)? I'd say it adds more than that -- it's freakin' hilarious! :big: Serves 'em right for ever thinking it was "bammie class" to play that moronic rammer jammer taunt. Consider this little innocent humiliation by the Golden Gopher Band (LOL!) some karmic payback for the decades of bammie attitude. Reap what you sow & stuff. WDE & It's rolling, baby, it's rolling. :lol::lol:

I grew up in TN and never heard Rocky Top associated with anything other than UT football but that is just my experience. It might have very well been the state song at one point in time but I never knew about it.

The question is do you think the Gophers would have played it in a losing effort and why did they wait until the end of the game??? Also, if it was just a nod to TN and not a slam at Bama why would Britt take it personally???

According to this site, List of US State Songs, Tennessee has 5 different state songs:

"My Homeland, Tennessee"

"When It's Iris Time in Tennessee"

"My Tennessee"

"The Tennessee Waltz"

"Rocky Top, Tennessee"

Maybe them Golden Gophers really did know what they were doing. :lol::lol:

Archived