Music Thread v.1.5(POST YOUR TUNES!)

These guys are really cool and I really like this version of this song

• Like 1

@ShocksMyBrain @McLoofus and other fans of Phish, 

Something wonderful happened to me today. In college, somewhere in deep dark cavern of sh!t that was hatchback Ford Focus, I had a cd with the March 20, 1992 Phish show at the Broome County Forum in Binghamton, New York burned onto it. Contained in that show is my very favorite version of Harry Hood - and a lot of other good material (killer Weekapaug Groove). I probably lost that cd 6-7 years ago, and I've never been able to find it since. I looked everywhere for it and eventually gave up. Around the same time I had to delete all the music off of my hard drive because my computer was messed up, so I had no record of it - I couldn't even remember what year the show was from.

About a year ago, when I had spare time, I started thumbing through Hood's history on Phish.net, downloading shows off of "the spreadsheet" and listening to either confirm or move along.  Recently, I discovered phish.in, which allows you to stream just about every show they've played and decided to start going through and listening to every Hood played starting in 1990. I still had Trey's solo cemented perfectly in my mind, so marking versions off of my list didn't take all that long. This morning, I made it to March 20, 1992 and listened to the first 30 seconds of Harry Hood before the synapses in my brain started pumping nostalgia through my veins. I realized, "this might be it", so I skipped ahead to Trey's solo and BOOM - there it was, the song I've been looking for all these years.

I've never seen this particular version of Hood listed on any of the "top" lists you'll find around the internet, but it's the one that did it for me over and over again, and today it still holds up. It's everything I like about Phish: the goofy lyrics, the sweet interplay between Mike and Page and the slow build into Trey's mind-numbing, soaring and altogether beautiful solo to bring it home. It's made me really happy to find this again - if for nothing more than the memory. 

If you want to take a listen: you'll find it here.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Something wonderful happened to me today. In college, somewhere in deep dark cavern of sh!t that was hatchback Ford Focus, I had a cd with the March 20, 1992 Phish show at the Broome County Forum in Binghamton, New York burned onto it. Contained in that show is my very favorite version of Harry Hood - and a lot of other good material (killer Weekapaug Groove). I probably lost that cd 6-7 years ago, and I've never been able to find it since. I looked everywhere for it and eventually gave up. Around the same time I had to delete all the music off of my hard drive because my computer was messed up, so I had no record of it - I couldn't even remember what year the show was from.

About a year ago, when I had spare time, I started thumbing through Hood's history on Phish.net, downloading shows off of "the spreadsheet" and listening to either confirm or move along.  Recently, I discovered phish.in, which allows you to stream just about every show they've played and decided to start going through and listening to every Hood played starting in 1990. I still had Trey's solo cemented perfectly in my mind, so marking versions off of my list didn't take all that long. This morning, I made it to March 20, 1992 and listened to the first 30 seconds of Harry Hood before the synapses in my brain started pumping nostalgia through my veins. I realized, "this might be it", so I skipped ahead to Trey's solo and BOOM - there it was, the song I've been looking for all these years.

I've never seen this particular version of Hood listed on any of the "top" lists you'll find around the internet, but it's the one that did it for me over and over again, and today it still holds up. It's everything I like about Phish: the goofy lyrics, the sweet interplay between Mike and Page and the slow build into Trey's mind-numbing, soaring and altogether beautiful solo to bring it home. It's made me really happy to find this again - if for nothing more than the memory. 

I'm not sure which I like more- the way you told the story or the fact that I can *totally* relate to hunting down songs and shows like that. And, uh, yeah I want to take a listen.

• Like 1

I suppose if there was a "jam" band (Wide Spread Panic/ Phish ilk)that I halfway liked it was the king of jam bands, The Dead. My brother saw them in Atlanta at the Omni, I believe  it was early to mid '90s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aubearcat said:

I suppose if there was a "jam" band (Wide Spread Panic/ Phish ilk)that I halfway liked it was the king of jam bands, The Dead. My brother saw them in Atlanta at the Omni, I believe  it was early to mid '90s.

Grateful Dead purists would crucify you for posting that song. They haaaate it because it received radio play. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Grateful Dead purists would crucify you for posting that song. They haaaate it because it received radio play. 

lol so true thankfully I'm not a deadhead

15 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

no problem and I remember you remodeled your bathroom and moving into larger house correct???

Yes sir. Running around like a headless chicken. 17 years of junk. I'm a borderline hoarder. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I wouldn't even be considered a fringe fan I guess. I like a handful of their stuff and it's mainly the most radio played songs. 

49 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I wouldn't even be considered a fringe fan I guess. I like a handful of their stuff and it's mainly the most radio played songs. 

Casey Jones, Friend of the Devil, etc? The  Dead aren't for everyone. I never try to push Phish onto people because even though they are 4 extremely talented musicians, most people just can't get over the perceived off the wall lyrics and 10+ minute jams; though I consider all of their studio albums pretty listener friendly. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

On 3/24/2017 at 8:27 AM, augolf1716 said:

Damn

Turn my back on this thread for a day, and the place explodes. I'm gonna run outa likes long before I get through this.

Mr. Golf, sir - apparently your experiences w./baseball (and those of Mr. Salty) were different from my (severely) limited exposure. I was (really!) this guy:

On 3/24/2017 at 8:58 AM, McLoofus said:

@augolf1716 and @AUinTLoosa- nice work, with the vids and the jokes.

I still consider one of the most unfortunate aspects of Jimi's premature passing to be the fact that Band of Gypsys had just gotten started. I've definitely posted their stuff before, maybe even this one, but I heard some this morning and... am posting their stuff... again...

One is loath to use the term "earlier work" for an artist whose entire career was, in a very real sense, early.

22 hours ago, Barnacle said:

20 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I've linked it here before, but I'll link it again. One of my favorites, and easy to find always: 

Apparently this old fart has a phishing hole in his experience. I'll explore it.

Many Thanks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

If someone does show interest in Phish, I always suggest Billy Breathes. I never start them out with a live show.  

Actually, think I've heard this, but didn't know who it was

• Like 1

A story? of a sort?

~ mid-'70s, spent $150 for a (very) used, blue-greenish, '67 Econoline van of the cargo (just two front seats) configuration. Loads of miles on it, for an American vehicle of the age. When looked at in the right light, it was apparent that the blue-greenish was a paint-over. A very well-implemented (professional looking?) "The Doors" logo was underneath the paint job on the (not surprisingly?) side-opening doors. Further inspection revealed multiple stage-pass/back-lot decals on the windshield from big-city venues (notably? Chicago Coliseum). I would never conclude anything from such, but every time I hit a pothole (there arose such a clatter) one friend (seemingly, couldn't help himself) visualized Mr. Morrison & Ms. Joplin and a wine bottle in the back.

I know what you mean shocks. I appreciate the musical talent of bands like widespread and phish but it's not the type of music I'd buy. I also go through spells of bands/music that I listen to. For example I've really been into Blink 182 and it's off spins such as +44 and Angels and Airwaves. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUinTLoosa said:

A story? of a sort?

~ mid-'70s, spent $150 for a (very) used, blue-greenish, '67 Econoline van of the cargo (just two front seats) configuration. Loads of miles on it, for an American vehicle of the age. When looked at in the right light, it was apparent that the blue-greenish was a paint-over. A very well-implemented (professional looking?) "The Doors" logo was underneath the paint job on the (not surprisingly?) side-opening doors. Further inspection revealed multiple stage-pass/back-lot decals on the windshield from big-city venues (notably? Chicago Coliseum). I would never conclude anything from such, but every time I hit a pothole (there arose such a clatter) one friend (seemingly, couldn't help himself) visualized Mr. Morrison & Ms. Joplin and a wine bottle in the back.

WHERE IS THAT ECONOLINE NOW. LIKE, RIGHT NOW.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

WHERE IS THAT ECONOLINE NOW. LIKE, RIGHT NOW.

Sorry. No earthly

Even then, $150 didn't buy forever. Held it together with paper clips and rubber bands ~ 3 yrs (back when engines were such that one could do so). For what it's worth, when I pitched it, I only wasted ~20 cents/gal on what was in the tank ('course, back then, I was sharing $55/mo. rent on a 3-BR house).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Damn

Turn my back on this thread for a day, and the place explodes. I'm gonna run outa likes long before I get through this.

Mr. Golf, sir - apparently your experiences w./baseball (and those of Mr. Salty) were different from my (severely) limited exposure. I was (really!) this guy:

I was actually better at baseball then golf but played golf at AU. Quit playing high school BB as a soph. cause the coach was our offensive line coach and all he knew to do was run us to death, So I played on traveling all-star teams till college. Yes we had all star teams even in my day. Baseball is my favorite sport then golf

• Like 1