Music Thread v.1.5(POST YOUR TUNES!)

26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Love Skip James! Also love Chris Thomas King as of right now. Is he a Mississippi guy? 

Also, is Delta blues a big thing in your area? I'm trying to think of how to frame the question better... like... is it a thing in your area like jazz is a thing in NOLA or hip hop is a thing in ATL? 

He is a New Orleans guy....surprising, right?

I get exactly what you're saying. It's not as much of a thing as it 'could' be. I'm not really sure why, to be honest. Now, over in the actual MS Delta, it's pretty huge. There is a Blues Trail thing that attracts a LOT of out of towners. Lotta folks want to stay at the Shack Up Inn, go to Po Monkey's Juke Joint, etc. 

In the end, I guess it may not be as mainstream or gotten it's hooks in because of it's roots, or maybe it's DNA. The blues were born out of hard times, and maybe folks just don't feel that connection? I don't really know. 

The "delta" is just such a damn fascinating place. I mean culturally, spiritually, and of course ecologically. I could go on forever about it. Such a special, strange, lovely place and people. I am not a huge reader, but these three books do as a good a job of describing the Delta and some of it's history as any. I'd read them in order....sorry for the sidetrack. 

http://www.johnmbarry.com/rising_tide__the_great_mississippi_flood_of_1927_and_how_it_changed_america_58205.htm

https://www.holtcollier.com/book

http://www.richardgrant.us/books/

*ETA- the Richard Grant book on the Delta is Dispatches from Pluto.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

He is a New Orleans guy....surprising, right?

No kidding? Nice. That means that when the world reopens we might accidentally catch him down there, as one will eventually do with every NOLA artist if one spends enough time there.

I get exactly what you're saying. It's not as much of a thing as it 'could' be. I'm not really sure why, to be honest. Now, over in the actual MS Delta, it's pretty huge.

For whatever reason (ahem Loof isn't terribly bright ahem) I always struggle with the geography around you. Like, I literally picture the NE corner of LA and the SW corner of MS being the same place. 

There is a Blues Trail thing that attracts a LOT of out of towners. Lotta folks want to stay at the Shack Up Inn, go to Po Monkey's Juke Joint, etc. 

I think maybe I've told you we plan to be those people eventually. Of course, my main goal is going to Doe's for a giant steak and a whole mess of tamales. I'm still sad about my work trip down that way that got cancelled 5 yrs ago. 

In the end, I guess it may not be as mainstream or gotten it's hooks in because of it's roots, or maybe it's DNA. The blues were born out of hard times, and maybe folks just don't feel that connection? I don't really know. 

Well, kudos to your region for not co-opting it as folks tend to do. (I'm looking in the mirror right now. Single tear.)

The "delta" is just such a damn fascinating place. I mean culturally, spiritually, and of course ecologically. I could go on forever about it. Such a special, strange, lovely place and people. I am not a huge reader, but these three books do as a good a job of describing the Delta and some of it's history as any. I'd read them in order....sorry for the sidetrack. 

http://www.johnmbarry.com/rising_tide__the_great_mississippi_flood_of_1927_and_how_it_changed_america_58205.htm

https://www.holtcollier.com/book

http://www.richardgrant.us/books/

*ETA- the Richard Grant book on the Delta is Dispatches from Pluto.

I might actually look into these. I just recently learned that the Black Belt exists because of all the prehistoric ocean flora and/or fauna that died there and fertilized the soil as the oceans receded. F'in history, man. 

• Love 1

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

No kidding? Nice. That means that when the world reopens we might accidentally catch him down there, as one will eventually do with every NOLA artist if one spends enough time there.

For whatever reason (ahem Loof isn't terribly bright ahem) I always struggle with the geography around you. Like, I literally picture the NE corner of LA and the SW corner of MS being the same place. 

I think maybe I've told you we plan to be those people eventually. Of course, my main goal is going to Doe's for a giant steak and a whole mess of tamales. I'm still sad about my work trip down that way that got cancelled 5 yrs ago. 

Well, kudos to your region for not co-opting it as folks tend to do. (I'm looking in the mirror right now. Single tear.)

I might actually look into these. I just recently learned that the Black Belt exists because of all the prehistoric ocean flora and/or fauna that died there and fertilized the soil as the oceans receded. F'in history, man. 

Dude, you should totally do it. A summer trip through the Delta can change a person. For reals. 

And you are not far off in your vision of the lay of the land. "The Delta" as described is actually far from the textbook definition of "a delta" and is more a floodplain. The bulk of what I consider to be the Delta starts just south of Memphis and broadens out against the hills(hills used VERY loosely) to the east of the river and west to the Macon ridge. We(Monroe) sit west of that "ridge" in the Ouachita River floodplain which is still very much affected by the big river. In fact, in the flood of '28(Rising Tide) it talks about how wide the reach of the MS really is. 

Crap, sorry again for the sidetrack. 

Did I mention there is a tamale trail in the Delta? Yeah, that actually a thing. Tamale trail...mmmmm....

Edited by Tiger Refuge
for summer heat effect
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Dude, you should totally do it. A summer trip through the Delta can change a person. For reals. 

Summer? For realz? Damn. I can hear the cicadas now. Oh wait, I get it.

And you are not far off in your vision of the lay of the land. "The Delta" as described is actually far from the textbook definition of "a delta" and is more a floodplain. The bulk of what I consider to be the Delta starts just south of Memphis and broadens out against the hills(hills used VERY loosely) to the east of the river and west to the Macon ridge. We(Monroe) sit west of that "ridge" in the Ouachita River floodplain which is still very much affected by the big river. In fact, in the flood of '28(Rising Tide) it talks about how wide the reach of the MS really is. 

Okay, I feel a little better now, thanks.

Crap, sorry again for the sidetrack. 

No way, dude. What @augolf1716said! 

It's actually so fascinating that this all started with him posting a lady from the West Alabama black belt and a guy from Appalachia singing the same song, because both versions just sound like the place they came from. Like you said, Delta blues comes from pain, and a lot of it is specifically the pain of working too hard for too little in an inhospitable place. Bluegrass is blues, too, but from the Scots-Irish up "in the pines, in the pines, where the sun never shines". I could talk about the relationship between geography and music all day, man. 

Did I mention there is a tamale trail in the Delta? Yeah, that actually a thing. Tamale trail...mmmmm....

Now you did. 

Ma Loof! Fire up the Family Truckster!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's actually so fascinating that this all started with him posting a lady from the West Alabama black belt and a guy from Appalachia singing the same song, because both versions just sound like the place they came from. Like you said, Delta blues comes from pain, and a lot of it is specifically the pain of working too hard for too little in an inhospitable place. Bluegrass is blues, too, but from the Scots-Irish up "in the pines, in the pines, where the sun never shines". I could talk about the relationship between geography and music all day, man. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ma Loof! Fire up the Family Truckster!

The Tamale Trolly, perhaps?

circular-gif.gif

• Like 1
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Tigermike said:

Never forget the first time I heard this song (a live Jimi version). This is one of those defining songs in my life. Love this version and most of SRV's catalog, even though he borrows so much from Jimi. At Auburn, we wore out a VHS copy of 'Live at the El Mocambo'.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Never forget the first time I heard this song (a live Jimi version). This is one of those defining songs in my life. Love this version and most of SRV's catalog, even though he borrows so much from Jimi. At Auburn, we wore out a VHS copy of 'Live at the El Mocambo'.

Man, to this day I’m still just mesmerized by SRV’s abilities. All of it. His voice, his instrumental abilities, his soul. Damn. Just, damn. It was in his bones.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, Tigermike said:

Great harmonies

Crosby, Stills & Nash - Southern Cross

Anything CSN or CSNY I can handle all day.....................so so so many memories oh to be young again

• Like 1

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Anything CSN or CSNY I can handle all day.....................so so so many memories oh to be young again

Agree!  I drag out the   Déjà Vu     CD every month or so, it's good for what ails you.

• Like 1