JJ with first team O

Charhair

Yeah, and Tubs is only leaving Oxford in a pine box. Saban has no interest in going back to the college ranks, and there was never bad blood between Malzahn and Nutt.

There's a big difference between giving the "I'm staying" talking point when asked if you are leaving your current job for another, which is basically self preservation when the deal isn't done), and saying, repeatedly, when no job offer actually exists, that you don't want to go to the next level because it doesn't appeal to you. Not everyone is exclusively driven by more money, especially when they are already making an ungodly amount.

It's pretty sad that everyone automatically assumes that a coach is lying pretty much whenever he talks.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Asked something akin to that at his news conference in December 2011, Malzahn responded, “If you think I’m a one and done kind of guy, you don’t know me very well.” Regularly, he repeated that position.

http://arkansasnews....h.XklehgQh.dpuf

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!

When Jay Jacobs is sitting in the passenger seat of a Brinks truck parked in your driveway......

The only two questions you ask is "Where do I sign?" and "When do I start?"

Exactly. Jay Jacobs, Jerry Jones, Bob Kraft, Arthur Blank...

JMO but Chip Kelly's results at Philly might have taken the luster off of Gus and other college coaches for a while ...once again. The NFL guys are determined to create and maintain the illusion (or maybe the reality) that coaching in their league is beyond the ability of any college coach. They believe in growing from within...and worse still perhaps, just rotating the losers around the league if they have problems somewhere....mostly it is a closed society.

Thus prior to Chip, Nick S validated their view.....which was a few years after folks forgot Lou and Steve....and maybe a few others. So now Chip once again has proved them correct. And just recall the Browns where their coach was told to go out there and win with a QB the coach did not want and who did not fit his offense. ....and was fired when the owner's QB could not stay out of trouble.

Gus's ego might lead him in the direction of the NFL but hopefully his good sense will cause him to stay with the college game.

It's pretty sad that everyone automatically assumes that a coach is lying pretty much whenever he talks.

No. We're just not assuming he's telling the truth. Big, big difference.

I guess I come from a weird world where you always accept what someone says as true until either it is proven false or they have proven to be untrustworthy.

I guess I come from a weird world where you always accept what someone says as true until either it is proven false or they have proven to be untrustworthy.

That is to be respected. Unfortunately Politicians , CEO's, and coaches where millions of dollars to be had causes honesty to falter. People become less trustworthy when hundreds or millions of dollars start getting thrown at them.

I imagine a lot of ASU fans have all the proof they need.

I'm not bagging on Gus and I'm not saying he's going anywhere. And I respect your opinion. And I believe that these coaches mean a lot of these things when they say them.

That is to be respected. Unfortunately Politicians , CEO's, and coaches where millions of dollars to be had causes honesty to falter. People become less trustworthy when hundreds or millions of dollars start getting thrown at them.

I most definitely agree with you when it comes to all politicians and a majority of CEOs.

From what Ive heard from some former players - ones that I trust more than Joe Shmoe on a message board - Sean White is obviously our best QB, and its not close. JF3 is a great athlete but a looong way to go from what Ive heard. Not my opinion, because I havent watched practice, but what Ive been told.

Funny. One day some are setting "must win" numbers for Gus not to be FIRED. Then the next day.....He's headed for the NFL. What a crazy Spring. And to quote Karen Carpenter "We've only just begun".......

Funny. One day some are setting "must win" numbers for Gus not to be FIRED. Then the next day.....He's headed for the NFL. What a crazy Spring. And to quote Karen Carpenter "We've only just begun".......

But it's only to Get Close To You

Hopefully we are "On top of the World" this fall.

lol good one lets just hope its not Rainy Days but hopefully On Top Of The World

I imagine a lot of ASU fans have all the proof they need.

I'm not bagging on Gus and I'm not saying he's going anywhere. And I respect your opinion. And I believe that these coaches mean a lot of these things when they say them.

You can just go off of what's seen so far, our coaches aren't ever going to be upfront and clear about ANYTHING that could be viewed as negative. Not saying it's a bad thing but they have proven they aren't going to be honest about every situation

Hi guys, I'm looking for the thread where we waste 20 pages arguing who the starting QB should be? That thread usually lasts a month or 12. Anyone got a clue where it is?

Asked something akin to that at his news conference in December 2011, Malzahn responded, “If you think I’m a one and done kind of guy, you don’t know me very well.” Regularly, he repeated that position.

http://arkansasnews....h.XklehgQh.dpuf

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!

When Jay Jacobs is sitting in the passenger seat of a Brinks truck parked in your driveway......

The only two questions you ask is "Where do I sign?" and "When do I start?"

Exactly. Jay Jacobs, Jerry Jones, Bob Kraft, Arthur Blank...

JMO but Chip Kelly's results at Philly might have taken the luster off of Gus and other college coaches for a while ...once again. The NFL guys are determined to create and maintain the illusion (or maybe the reality) that coaching in their league is beyond the ability of any college coach. They believe in growing from within...and worse still perhaps, just rotating the losers around the league if they have problems somewhere....mostly it is a closed society.

Thus prior to Chip, Nick S validated their view.....which was a few years after folks forgot Lou and Steve....and maybe a few others. So now Chip once again has proved them correct. And just recall the Browns where their coach was told to go out there and win with a QB the coach did not want and who did not fit his offense. ....and was fired when the owner's QB could not stay out of trouble.

Gus's ego might lead him in the direction of the NFL but hopefully his good sense will cause him to stay with the college game.

His ego might lead him to want to go there, but he'll be lucky if he's a college HC in 2 years. Gus will never, ever be a NFL HC.

I can promise you that if you set and watched some practices, and that is all anyone outside the coaches are doing, you still would not even have a remote idea who our coaches think is leading the QB race. So your inside info is worthless. Coaches not only watch "every" practice and the entire practice, they also watch the film and break it down frame by frame. The look at what they told the player to do and if he did it. Just like in a game, at practice you see the play but if the QB throws way off target, was the QB or was it the WR ? The point is no one knows what Gus and Rhett think at this point, not even your "inside folks". So just stop with I got a friend that says so and so is by far the best, or that by what I have seen so and so is the best. I assure you that whoever they choose will have proven to those most knowledgeable about the situation, that they are the best. Period. WDE

I can promise you that if you set and watched some practices, and that is all anyone outside the coaches are doing, you still would not even have a remote idea who our coaches think is leading the QB race. So your inside info is worthless. Coaches not only watch "every" practice and the entire practice, they also watch the film and break it down frame by frame. The look at what they told the player to do and if he did it. Just like in a game, at practice you see the play but if the QB throws way off target, was the QB or was it the WR ? The point is no one knows what Gus and Rhett think at this point, not even your "inside folks". So just stop with I got a friend that says so and so is by far the best, or that by what I have seen so and so is the best. I assure you that whoever they choose will have proven to those most knowledgeable about the situation, that they are the best. Period. WDE

Basically, at this point, I just want to hear something to get me excited about a QB of ours. I mean, last week it sounded like JF3 was doing well but now it sounds like he's no better than JJ and SW. How long will it take to have success at QB?

lol good one lets just hope its not Rainy Days but hopefully On Top Of The World

Hey, one of our qbs could be a "Superstar"!!!

Is there a chance that whoever starts at QB will be no worse than the sixth best QB in the west? If that can happen, we might be in good shape overall, given that merely adequate QB play would've won us at least two more games last year.

Is there a chance that whoever starts at QB will be no worse than the sixth best QB in the west? If that can happen, we might be in good shape overall, given that merely adequate QB play would've won us at least two more games last year.

Don't know about that but you can't grade a quarterback on a sliding scale. Sixth best next season could be the same as tenth the year before or third the year before depending on how other quarterbacks develop. If Auburn's QB play is to perform better then they need to be at least the third best QB that Gus has had.

If Auburn's QB play is to perform better then they need to be at least the third best QB that Gus has had.

Not true. Gus has had good QB play throughout all of his College stops.

If Auburn's QB play in 2016 is his 7th best QB season he has had, that would be better than 2015.

2006: Casey Dick/Mitch Mustain 1885 yards / 19 TDs

2007: Paul Smith 5184 yards / 60 TDs

2008: David Johnson 4245 yards / 49 TDs

2009: Chris Todd 2612 yards / 22 TDs

2010: Cam Newton 4369 yards / 51 TDs

2011: Barrett Trotter/Clint Moseley 2046 yards / 16 TDs

2012: Ryan Aplin 3780 yards / 30 TDs

2013: Nick Marshall 3044 yards / 26 TDs

2014: Nick Marshall 3330 yards / 31 TDs

2015: Jeremy Johnson/Sean White 2392 yards / 17 TDs

Don't come here with your rational arguments! Here we speculate and watch the mayhem ensue.

Archived