I will ask this.

WarDamnEagleWDE

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8-4 in football next season? Go.

He survives. It's the buyout cost that would prevent a firing for those who aren't patient until at least the end of 2017.

Gus is the future for AU.

WDE !!!

Depends on who are in the 8, who are in the 4, and how badly we lost the 4. Assuming a 5-3 conference record and a loss to Clemson, I'd call it a building block and bet a fair amount of money that Gus is here in 2017.

If we go 8-4 and bama wins yet another sec and national championship,the pressure will really be on to fire Gus.He may not survive.IMO

Id be pretty unhappy, but wouldn't call for a Gus firing. We need stability like no one else. One of the wins would need to be over LSU or uat to make me feel a little better.

Depends on who are in the 8, who are in the 4, and how badly we lost the 4. Assuming a 5-3 conference record and a loss to Clemson, I'd call it a building block and bet a fair amount of money that Gus is here in 2017.

I agree with this. He really needs to beat a couple of the biggies like uga or uat and not lose big to anyone. All 8-4 seasons are not created equal.

Gus survives 8-4 next year. I don't think the seat is as hot from the administrators as it is from some of the fans. Gus is working very hard to bring AU up to the level of being consistent every year. I have stood on my soapbox before and preached about consistency and stability. I want to have a good coach around long enough to let at least a couple of class be recruited and graduate under him.

I would not be thrilled but I would not be overly upset because it would show some progress. I don't think it would be wise to fire Gus at that point because that would probably set the program back another 3-4 years. They key would then be the year after that. If there was regression (assuming it's not due to crazy injuries and such) then Gus would need to be let go. If there was again progression to 9-12 wins, then Gus has learned some lessons and gotten in players that fit his system.

8-4 with a bowl win and he stays. If one of the 8 wins is Bama he definitely stays. Also our coach shouldn't be judged on Bama's success. It's the greatest run in their program's history. We just need to weather the storm until they fade back into irrelevance for another 20 years.

Considering that we have arguably the toughest schedule in the country and are playing BOTH teams from the National Championship game last year, one of which is an out of conference game, 8-4 would not and should not be surprising. While we've done a good job of assembling the parts for a championship team, our new receiver unit is just that, new, and we are having to reload our O-line. I expect some hiccups along the way. What will really matter, in my opinion, is when we do lose, how we lose. If it's a blow-out, then I think there will be issues. If we do our usual, down to the wire and just can't pull it out, then I don't know that anyone who isn't delusional about the expected performance level of a college football team can expect more... unless one of our QBs ends up being a rock star.

What are you trying to hint? Is 8-4 the ceiling, in your view? Because judging by your posts in the past week, I continue to get 2012 vibes.

As far as the question goes, yes, I'd take 8-4 and a bowl win. However, if we're going to do any worse than that, we'd better have a lot of starters returning in '17.

If we get blown out in those 4 loses and Alabama beats us for the 3rd time in a row, just have Jay wright out a big check after 2016. He's good at paying x-coaches big $.

Agree with a previous post- depends on who and how. If we lose to Clemson, Bama, or OleMiss I'll be OK. Those are good teams. I would even allow for 1 blow out loss if we only lose 3.

UGA is in transition, can't say what they'll look like but they're certainly beatable. LSU hasn't been a power, so that's a toss us but I'd rather win it.

Can't lose to aTm, MSU, or Arky. Can't lose a mid level bowl game.

If we lose 4-5, gotta see how they are lost.

Gus needs to stay 2-3 more years regardless of the record at the end of the season. Some form of consistency/stability has to be achieved on this staff so that they can be judged on overall performance. I'd love to see what kind of production comes from the team if we can have two seasons with no coaching changes.....Just 2 seasons of the same staff on both sides of the ball. Is that too much to ask?

I agree with this. He really needs to beat a couple of the biggies like uga or uat and not lose big to anyone. All 8-4 seasons are not created equal.

I agree with all of this. Even splitting UGA/Updyke would be a good step. Win the games we should win and have a good showing each and every week and Gus is fine.

I could live with it as long as we look like an Auburn football team on the field. Continue with the keystone cop routine and the STUPiD play calling then can the whole bunch.

As golf and others have said, it depends on who those wins are over and who those losses are to. Let's say it's 8-4 and Auburn loses to Clemson, UAT, LSU, and UGA. I think it's very difficult for Malzahn to survive that without wholesale changes on the offensive side, if he survives at all - meaning Lashlee is gone regardless of what Gus thinks or wants, and likely others except for Hand and Horton. If Auburn loses to Clemson and UAT, but beats UGA and LSU and instead loses to an Arkansas, Ole Miss, or MSU, then maybe there's a bit of good faith in there that he can use, especially if the staff can produce another strong recruiting class. If Auburn loses to all except for UAT, it'd be tough to get rid of Malzahn in any way, just because it's UAT.

At any rate, the only way you could look at 8-4 as a positive or some kind of move in the right direction is if Auburn takes down 2 of the big 3 rivals, beats who they're supposed to beat, goes even or better in the toss up games, and heads into the offseason with the makings of a strong recruiting class. Even then, I doubt there's gonna be a whole lot of optimism around the fanbase for the future. If Sean White isn't injured against Arkansas, Auburn possibly could have pulled out 1 or 2 more wins in 2015, meaning they could have been 8-4 instead of 6-6. Would we feel any better about the situation we're in if that were the case? That's why, even though Malzahn might be able to survive 8-4 in 2016, he'd still be on the edge of the cliff in a windstorm trying to hold on unless there was some kind of "super-sign" that things were somehow trending up.

I would be okay with 8-4 as long as Auburn is in the 4 losses to the end of the game. There is no reason for Auburn not to be based on the accumulated, across the board talent Auburn has.

The problem I see with changing coaches is Auburn faces this scenario every year. Who is to say a new coach would be able to improve on what Malzahn is doing, base on the schedule Auburn plays year in and year out.

At this point, what are our excuses for only going 8-4? I know we play the two teams that played for the national championship, and it's reasonable to say we could lose one or both of those games. But at this point in Gus' tenure and with all the talent we've accumulated, what are our excuses for the other two losses?

At this point, what are our excuses for only going 8-4? I know we play the two teams that played for the national championship, and it's reasonable to say we could lose one or both of those games. But at this point in Gus' tenure and with all the talent we've accumulated, what are our excuses for the other two losses?

We have no starting tackles.

We have no QB.

We have no proven WRs.

Our defense is....well, our defense. It will take a miracle to get that side of the ball playing to acceptable levels in SEC play considering the past decade has been extremely sub par.

I agree with the majority. It depends on who and how the L's come. I just hope that 1 of those 4 lost are not to the tyde!

Archived