New QB Spring Leaders

bikeriderga

Yep it was my fault, I shouldn't have ever said I think SW weakness is stretching the field lol. I forgot on here you have to say SW has no weaknesses!

My bad. And for the record I haven't EVER come after the fact and tried to pile on when two other people are having a disagreement.....You haven't ever for example saw me bump a thread and say tiger88 has a bad attitude.... that seems to behis demeanor every time he posts...also I haven't ever had a problem for saying JJ sucks but it's WWIII for me saying SW deep ball is his biggest weakness in his game...

Anybody on here can say what they want about how I supposedly feel about SW but nobody on here can say I've ever said anything worse than I think he's average to above average and he hasn't played a defense that's good yet and that's the absolute WORSE thing I've ever said about this guy, I've seen some of you talk worse about a junior prospect in high school.....If that upset some of you so bad...I mean,....sorry? I guess.

Manpon? Kleenex? Lighten up man, you're taking things a bit too seriously. If I was bored and had the urge I could debunk most of what you posted here, but I am busy and disinterested in arguing with you. Unlike yourself, I won't make that claim and then go on a multi thread rampage of arguments with half the board.

So busy to argue, yet you have time at 6 A.M. to respond. That makes sense. I don't always agree with Cole, but he is right. There is definitely a faction of the fanbase who are SW fanboys. There is definitely a faction of the fanbase, who are DT fanboys ( Me) and there is the fanbase who doesn't give a crap, they just want everyone to graduate Auburn men. At the end of the day, I believe all factions want what is best for AU and will happily accept whoever Gus picks, as long as they produce.

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep it was my fault, I shouldn't have ever said I think SW weakness is stretching the field lol. I forgot on here you have to say SW has no weaknesses!

My bad. And for the record I haven't EVER come after the fact and tried to pile on when two other people are having a disagreement.....You haven't ever for example saw me bump a thread and say tiger88 has a bad attitude.... that seems to behis demeanor every time he posts...also I haven't ever had a problem for saying JJ sucks but it's WWIII for me saying SW deep ball is his biggest weakness in his game...

Anybody on here can say what they want about how I supposedly feel about SW but nobody on here can say I've ever said anything worse than I think he's average to above average and he hasn't played a defense that's good yet and that's the absolute WORSE thing I've ever said about this guy, I've seen some of you talk worse about a junior prospect in high school.....If that upset some of you so bad...I mean,....sorry? I guess.

I think you got corrected because you made a unrefined statement when challenging SW's vertical passing game. Then you had to make several adjustments to your statement to justify your intent.

SW's main weakness is size and it may just be me, but he seems to have only a fast ball in his arsenal. A bit more touch (which comes with time) and he will be more productive. For whatever reason, after the first three games, JJ couldn't get out of the funk so they made the change for the MSU game. White is leading a balanced attack and once he throws his pick, the offensive play calling became more conservative to protect him in his first start. Regardless of who is at QB, I want someone who will be allowed to throw intermediate routes. The Arkansas game was a perfect example of SW throwing several 10-25 TD passes. However, we were plagued by drops that afternoon.

Manpon? Kleenex? Lighten up man, you're taking things a bit too seriously. If I was bored and had the urge I could debunk most of what you posted here, but I am busy and disinterested in arguing with you. Unlike yourself, I won't make that claim and then go on a multi thread rampage of arguments with half the board.

So busy to argue, yet you have time at 6 A.M. to respond. That makes sense. I don't always agree with Cole, but he is right. There is definitely a faction of the fanbase who are SW fanboys. There is definitely a faction of the fanbase, who are DT fanboys ( Me) and there is the fanbase who doesn't give a crap, they just want everyone to graduate Auburn men. At the end of the day, I believe all factions want what is best for AU and will happily accept whoever Gus picks, as long as they produce.

Wow. Reasoned reply. Kudos!!!

The sad thing is, there are a lot of haters out there, too, who are as anti one player as they are pro another. They are often the ones who label people "fan boy" when a lot of us are just trying to point out the strengths and weakness of each player for an informed discussion. I get labeled a Sean fanboy, frequently, but that's really because he's the most maligned player for completely ludicrous reasons, while also being the most developed of our QBs, so I defend him more than Jeremy or John.

The truth is, I would hope that everyone would agree that, in a perfect world, Jeremy would get his crap together and be our starter because he has the biggest upside in size and athleticism. Second best would probably be John becoming a reliable passer and putting on a little bulk, since he can bring that second dimension. As has been mentioned, for Sean to be a world beater, everyone else on O will need to step up their game too... but he brings the most to the table, today.

SW is not as good runner as JJ and probably JFIII.

JJ had a higher QB rating than SW

JJ had a higher completion percentage than SW.

JJ has a stronger arm than.

JJ threw for more TD's

JJ threw more int's.

SW was hurt last year. Can we say definitely that SW will be better with healing?

Lastly, why do you think CGM brings in another QB when he had 2 starters coming back from last year?

To avoid any debate about your above comments, I will say you are right. With that being said... Why did the coaches elect to start an injured Sean White over Jeremy Johnson in the bowl game?

Regardless of who the starter is in 2016, the offense won't click unless the coaches have confidence in the starting QB. I have no problem with JJ starting unless Malzahn schemes to protect him as he did during JJ's last 4 starts. Based on where the ball was targeted in 2015, it was clear the coaches had more trust in SW throwing vertically than JJ. During JJ's first 3 starts, 37.5% of his pass attempts were within 5 yards of the LOS. During his last 4 starts, it increased to 54.3%. This is why JJ had a higher completion percentage, which also padded his passer rating. During White's 6 starts, 38.6% of his pass attempts were within 5-yds of the LOS.

For the season, JJ averaged 6.71 yards per attempt to White's 8.15 yards. JJ averaged 11.1 yards per completion compared to White's 14.0 yards per completion. Now we add JFIII to the mix and he averaged 6.67 yards per attempt and 11.4 yards per completion at the JUCO level. He had a higher passer rating than JJ and SW but his numbers were masked by a high number of short passes that padded his completion rate and QB rating.

During JJ's last 3 starts, 61.2% of his pass attempts were within 5-yards of the LOS. From 2009-2015, Auburn is 11-19 in games the Tigers were held to under 7-yards per pass attempt with an average score of 21 points. During the same period, Auburn is 34-5 in games they averaged over 8-yards per attempt.

For a moment, forget the names of the QB's in competition to be the 2016 starter. If Auburn doesn't attack vertically in the passing game, the offense will be destined to fail. Sean White completed 20 of 28 passes against Mississippi State but for only 6.7 yards per attempt. Auburn scored 9 points.

It comes down to "trust", which is why I don't care who the starter is but it is vital Auburn can open up the playbook with the starter. It is a fine line to walk but the difference between winning 3-4 more games. When you consider 60% of Malzahn's 15-yard plays or more come via the passing game and 66% of the 30-yard plays come via the passing game, having a vertical pass offense is essential to having an explosive offense.

Do not disagree with a single thing you say. To me the comparison is not really SW to JJ but IMO it is having a QB that is a legitimate threat to run (such as a NM) as an integral part of the running game that creates that vertical passing game. I believe it is imperative to the success of the team and why I hope JFIII can fit that bill. If not then I believe JJ has more of those tools albeit it is just potential at this point. I do not believe SW has those same tools. I believe SW would flourish in a power I pro set throw off play action offense. That is not AU at this point. All this is just my opinion and I recognize other have a different one. War Eagle

The sad thing is, there are a lot of haters out there, too, who are as anti one player as they are pro another. They are often the ones who label people "fan boy" when a lot of us are just trying to point out the strengths and weakness of each player for an informed discussion. I get labeled a Sean fanboy, frequently, but that's really because he's the most maligned player for completely ludicrous reasons, while also being the most developed of our QBs, so I defend him more than Jeremy or John.

The truth is, I would hope that everyone would agree that, in a perfect world, Jeremy would get his crap together and be our starter because he has the biggest upside in size and athleticism. Second best would probably be John becoming a reliable passer and putting on a little bulk, since he can bring that second dimension. As has been mentioned, for Sean to be a world beater, everyone else on O will need to step up their game too... but he brings the most to the table, today.

Yet, you label people haters who just aren't particularly on the SW bandwagon. Consider me one of those people. I think SW has tons of potential. I do NOT think (Again, this is my opinion) that he is a game changing player. I believe if the talent around him excels than we can be very good starting with the running game. Personally, I haven't seen enough out of any of them to say this person or that person brings the most to the table. IMO, I believe JJ has the most potential out of all of them, not SW. I think SW has the best accuracy out of all of them, I give him that. I always hear, look at the Arkansas game. SW played GREAT in the Arkansas game. His receivers completely failed him, but then I look at the Memphis game and SW did not play so great against them. You have to look at an argument for both sides. The fact of the matter is, SW faced some of the worst statistically secondary teams. Ole miss (101st ranked), Memphis (115th ranked) and Arkansas (121st ranked) passed defense. I expect every single one of our QBs to be able to pass on those type of teams. I also expect our WRs to make plays against those type of secondaries. It is two-fold. My biggest concern with SW is the fact that he hasn't faced a legit, top to bottom defense. He didn't have to face LSU, He didn't have to face Alabama and he was about to die against UGA (This was our coaches fault, btw). It is not just him. I have to see JJ break his mental blockage from the QB position. I hope he does because he realistically gives us the best chance to win, based on who we have. I have to see JF3 make the consistent throw, stay durable and not TURN the ball over. If JF3 cannot do those things, then it is no point of him playing QB. Yet, Cole says these things and you guys hate him for it. I don't get it.

Replacing two Tackles does concern me with SW as a starter b/c he isn't that mobile...

I'll have to argue that point. Look at his film. He moves A LOT and throws accurately on the run. Granted, he doesn't have SEC linebackers on his butt in his film, but he is effective avoiding pressure to get the pass off.

Whether he's "fragile" or not remains to be seen. He'll have to get hurt again for me to consider slapping that label on him.

I think Sean is mobile enough to keep defenses honest (I should've said that instead). At this point i consider him more mobile than JJ. I will say this: As far as talent and athletic ability at QB JJ is better than the others as the total package. But we all know JJ has to prove it in a game. Until he does all he is is a good practice QB. I have nothing against JJ and if he can turn it around great but he's def. going to have to show it in an actual game for me to believe in him again.

Absolutely zero disagreement from me there. Jeremy has all of the measurables and potential in the world. On paper, he is the prototypical star QB.

If we played on a field made of cardboard..... he would be on the stage in NYC getting the trophy.

Yet, you label people haters who just aren't particularly on the SW bandwagon. Consider me one of those people. I think SW has tons of potential. I do NOT think (Again, this is my opinion) that he is a game changing player. I believe if the talent around him excels than we can be very good starting with the running game. Personally, I haven't seen enough out of any of them to say this person or that person brings the most to the table. IMO, I believe JJ has the most potential out of all of them, not SW. I think SW has the best accuracy out of all of them, I give him that. I always hear, look at the Arkansas game. SW played GREAT in the Arkansas game. His receivers completely failed him, but then I look at the Memphis game and SW did not play so great against them. You have to look at an argument for both sides. The fact of the matter is, SW faced some of the worst statistically secondary teams. Ole miss (101st ranked), Memphis (115th ranked) and Arkansas (121st ranked) passed defense. I expect every single one of our QBs to be able to pass on those type of teams. I also expect our WRs to make plays against those type of secondaries. It is two-fold. My biggest concern with SW is the fact that he hasn't faced a legit, top to bottom defense. He didn't have to face LSU, He didn't have to face Alabama and he was about to die against UGA (This was our coaches fault, btw). It is not just him. I have to see JJ break his mental blockage from the QB position. I hope he does because he realistically gives us the best chance to win, based on who we have. I have to see JF3 make the consistent throw, stay durable and not TURN the ball over. If JF3 cannot do those things, then it is no point of him playing QB. Yet, Cole says these things and you guys hate him for it. I don't get it.

No... I call people haters when they attack anytime someone says something good about a player that they don't like. You don't have to be on anyone's bandwagon, but if you belittle their successes, that's hating.

As for the rest of what you wrote... other than quoting the statistics, you basically said exactly what I said, so I'm not sure where the disagreement is? We agree Sean is the most accurate and if we had to play today, the best bet, but he needs the whole team to step up to be a world beater. We agree that Jeremy has the best measurables and would be our best QB, if he can get his head right. We also agree that John appears to have a lot of work to do.

I will say, I judge Sean strictly on Mississippi State, Kentucky, Arkansas, and Ole Miss with consideration to the fact that he was held back against State and hurt against Ole Miss. Anything after that, he was playing with an injured foot and couldn't execute his mechanics, including against Memphis. Just like I judge Jeremy based on his performance in 2014 as well as 2015, which gives me hope for him. I can only judge John by video and "reports", so with him it's speculation... hopefully informed speculation, but speculation none the less.

As for Cole. People don't always pile on Cole for the content of his message. They pile on him because he has a tendency to be abrasive and defensive. He also has a tendency to attack other players in order to boost the player he is currently supporting. He and I went at it a little during the season when he was really pushing for Jovon getting more reps and dogging on Peyton, while refusing to acknowledge that Peyton was playing because he was a better pass blocker, not because anyone had anything against Jovon.

No... I call people haters when they attack anytime someone says something good about a player that they don't like. You don't have to be on anyone's bandwagon, but if you belittle their successes, that's hating.

As for the rest of what you wrote... other than quoting the statistics, you basically said exactly what I said, so I'm not sure where the disagreement is? We agree Sean is the most accurate and if we had to play today, the best bet, but he needs the whole team to step up to be a world beater. We agree that Jeremy has the best measurables and would be our best QB, if he can get his head right. We also agree that John appears to have a lot of work to do.

I will say, I judge Sean strictly on Mississippi State, Kentucky, Arkansas, and Ole Miss with consideration to the fact that he was held back against State and hurt against Ole Miss. Anything after that, he was playing with an injured foot and couldn't execute his mechanics, including against Memphis. Just like I judge Jeremy based on his performance in 2014 as well as 2015, which gives me hope for him. I can only judge John by video and "reports", so with him it's speculation... hopefully informed speculation, but speculation none the less.

As for Cole. People don't always pile on Cole for the content of his message. They pile on him because he has a tendency to be abrasive and defensive. He also has a tendency to attack other players in order to boost the player he is currently supporting. He and I went at it a little during the season when he was really pushing for Jovon getting more reps and dogging on Peyton, while refusing to acknowledge that Peyton was playing because he was a better pass blocker, not because anyone had anything against Jovon.

While I will agree at times Cole becomes to defensive. He is also very knowledgeable and some people don't give him credit for that knowledge. I love reading his posts and picking up bits of information. There is always going to be disagreements on a board and some personalities even when both are good people just don't react well together. My advice to many posters is it is ok to disagree with somebody actually it is refreshing. When you disagree provide the reasons you disagree go back and forth a couple of times by then both sides have presented their facts then drop it. At this point neither will change their mind. Agree to disagree and go onto the next subject don't start the name calling..

By the way I agree with both of your presentation on the QB. Most Talent JJ but head issues, Best Passer SW but has to prove it against a top notch D. JF has to add bulk and a consistent passing game to his great running ability.

Lol @ fanboys.....that was funny. Anyway you guys are hilarious...I needed this laugh for the weekend before heading to the Bayou. Not sure why credit has to be given on a message board though...and not sure why anyone would care either. We ain't all gonna agree - that's what makes it fun for me....

Do not disagree with a single thing you say. To me the comparison is not really SW to JJ but IMO it is having a QB that is a legitimate threat to run (such as a NM) as an integral part of the running game that creates that vertical passing game. I believe it is imperative to the success of the team and why I hope JFIII can fit that bill. If not then I believe JJ has more of those tools albeit it is just potential at this point. I do not believe SW has those same tools. I believe SW would flourish in a power I pro set throw off play action offense. That is not AU at this point. All this is just my opinion and I recognize other have a different one. War Eagle

That doesn't necessarily create a vertical passing game. Does it help? Sure. A mobile QB would help any team. Would an effective passing game along with an effective running game from our pretty talented stable of RB's and HB's help too? Absolutely. There is no reason to believe we could not run play action with Sean or JJ at QB.

LOL anyone saying I'm clueless based on my judgments of Sean White just not have watched Auburn football last year.

Gus excels in a zone-read offense. We don't need for Gus to mold his offense based around the QB which seems like what everyone on here is saying. We need to have a QB to fit the mold of a zone-read offense. JJ is undoubtedly better than SW at that. I'd prefer that we get JF3 to get the start anyway over them, but he seems to have some issues on his deep passes. Hmmmmmm.... If that doesn't sound familiar to back in 2013...... (Nick Marshall)

LOL anyone saying I'm clueless based on my judgments of Sean White just not have watched Auburn football last year.

Gus excels in a zone-read offense. We don't need for Gus to mold his offense based around the QB which seems like what everyone on here is saying. We need to have a QB to fit the mold of a zone-read offense. JJ is undoubtedly better than SW at that. I'd prefer that we get JF3 to get the start anyway over them, but he seems to have some issues on his deep passes. Hmmmmmm.... If that doesn't sound familiar to back in 2013...... (Nick Marshall)

No. Most of us have just watched football longer than you have been alive...not just the last few years.

No. Most of us have just watched football longer than you have been alive...not just the last few years.

:laugh: JJ couldn't even run a vanilla offense last year. I'd love for him to tell us how he's going to all of a sudden excel in the zone-read...Please do tell. SW is not athletically gifted as JJ but at least SW had the guts to take hits and try to get extra yards and the 1st down on runs. It had to be at least 2-3 times were JJ had the opportunity to run and get the first down and only needed like a yard or two and could've easily gotten it with his size alone and was stuffed and didn't fight for the extra yards. Look if JJ turns it around cool but on top of his passing issues i saw a QB who just didn't take contact well at all. 6'4 - 6'5 230 and timid at taking contact or exhibiting hesitation on runs. I'd love to know which AU team he was watching.

'

:laugh: JJ couldn't even run a vanilla offense last year. I'd love for him to tell us how he's going to all of a sudden excel in the zone-read...Please do tell. SW is not athletically gifted as JJ but at least SW had the guts to take hits and try to get extra yards and the 1st down on runs. It had to be at least 2-3 times were JJ had the opportunity to run and get the first down and only needed like a yard or two and could've easily gotten it with his size alone and was stuffed and didn't fight for the extra yards. Look if JJ turns it around cool but on top of his passing issues i saw a QB who just didn't take contact well at all. 6'4 - 6'5 230 and timid at taking contact or exhibiting hesitation on runs. I'd love to know which AU team he was watching.

'

Because the offense doesn't need to be zone read heavy with either him or JJ back there. It probably would have to with JF3, if what I'm hearing about his passing skills are true. Same with Nick Marshall.

Cam could get away with less zone read because he was a better passer, but given his athleticism and size up the middle, why not let him run it and see what he could do?

BTW, it's pretty difficult to run a pared down playbook if the D generally knows what's coming, and your WR's, D, and let's be honest last season...playcalling, aren't helping you out in the least.

2008 Tulsa. No zone read. No DT QB.

2009 Auburn. Zone read, no DT QB.

Both set records. Both Gus offenses.

Your post is void of fact.

'

Because the offense doesn't need to be zone read heavy with either him or JJ back there. It probably would have to with JF3, if what I'm hearing about his passing skills are true. Same with Nick Marshall.

Cam could get away with less zone read because he was a better passer, but given his athleticism and size up the middle, why not let him run it and see what he could do?

BTW, it's pretty difficult to run a pared down playbook if the D generally knows what's coming, and your WR's, D, and let's be honest last season...playcalling, aren't helping you out in the least.

Oh i agree with you. It was in regards to the OP.

Just keep digging...

You truly negate any credibility with post like your's on this thread.

I really really really love offseason

Me too. Very entertaining.

Chris Todd, just like Sean White, can't run the zone-read.....

What you are suggesting is that even if SW clearly shows himself to be the best option at quarterback in terms of how he handles the entire offense, that he should never see a snap because he can't run the zone read like you want him to. Just realize that this is the stake that you are clinging to. You would rather have a quarterback who better executes the zone read play quarterback than one who will win more games. Makes sense.

Also, for the record, Jeremy Johnson is not a zone-read quarterback. If he is better at running it than SW, and I'm not sure that he is, then he is only marginally better. I don't recall him having any real success running the zone read.

What you are suggesting is that even if SW clearly shows himself to be the best option at quarterback in terms of how he handles the entire offense, that he should never see a snap because he can't run the zone read like you want him to. Just realize that this is the stake that you are clinging to. You would rather have a quarterback who better executes the zone read play quarterback than one who will win more games. Makes sense.

I think that we win more games with a QB that can best run the offense that Gus runs best, the zone-read.

I used to buy in to the "look at Gus' stats at Tulsa with pocket passers" but I am beginning to fall out of love with that. The passing windows are bigger in that league. The linebackers and secondary are a step slower in that league. I know he had Tulsa players matched up against players of similar skill but the disparity in quickness, speed, and size between mid-majors and SEC players do make a difference in what types of plays can be run successfully IMO.

Archived