Copa America Centenario

AUDub

Does this tournament have any bearing on Olympic or World Cup qualifying?

Nah. We already missed the Olympics. WC qualifying resumes this fall.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the win during the last qualifying games got us in the Cup. Or did that just make it a lot easier for us? I remember a big deal being made about the game.

I thought the win during the last qualifying games got us in the Cup. Or did that just make it a lot easier for us? I remember a big deal being made about the game.

Nah. We had a bad loss to Guatemala that endangered our chances of advancing out of the fourth round. We bounced back and smashed them 4-0. That's probably what you remember. We're currently in second in our group with two games to go. One against St. Vincent and the Grenadines, who we will smash, and current group leader Trinidad and Tobago, who we should beat but there are no guarantees given this USMNT.

There are three groups of four teams in the fourth round. They play each other twice in a round robin format, and the top two from each group advance to round five, the so called "hexagonal," which is a six team round robin with the top three advancing to the WC final.

Paraguay and Costa Rica drew 0-0 this afternoon. That's a huge boost for the US to get out of the group stage now.

Also, one of Costa Rica's starters got a last minute red card and will miss the game against the US on Tuesday.

We need that...last time we played Costs Rica we lost....to put that in perspective, Costs Rica has a population roughly equal to Detroit. We officially struggle with nations the size of Detroit. Are we less talented than Costa Rica? Not a chance in hades. It's estimated that 15 million people played soccer in the USA last year. Costa Rica has less than 5 million total population. If we lose to them when it actually matters....

That nation the size of Detroit won a WC group two years ago. A group that included Italy, England and Uruguay. They only got knocked out in a penalty shootout against the Netherlands. Small but very talented country with regard to soccer.

This tournament ABSOLUTELY has bearing on the World Cup. Teams that qualify for the WC are bunched into 3 groups. Countries that have won the WC before (only 7), countries that won major tournaments in the last WC cycle (Confederations Cup, Olympics, Copa, Euro) and the other qualiying countries. The first 2 groups of teams are separated BEFORE the "blind" draw (hey, we're talking FIFA) so as not to knock each other out early.

Colombia may win the tournament - not a good barometer first game for the US. Of course we banged up James so we may now be the only team that had to play against him at full strength. Same old US mens' soccer story: world class goalkeeping and midfield, plenty of guys that can score, some exciting young talent, dreadful defense. Except for their very average goalkeeping, that usually describes Mexico too.

If we get even one guy with a hot scoring foot this tournament (like Clint Mathis in 2002 - 7 goals in 10 starts) we can do damage. For those that do not usually follow soccer, we lost a player to injury before this tournament named Jozy Altidore who is essentially a Randy Moss presense in that he worries defenses so much, he opens things up for others to score. Altidore also got hurt early in the last WC.

This tournament ABSOLUTELY has bearing on the World Cup. Teams that qualify for the WC are bunched into 3 groups. Countries that have won the WC before (only 7), countries that won major tournaments in the last WC cycle (Confederations Cup, Olympics, Copa, Euro) and the other qualiying countries. The first 2 groups of teams are separated BEFORE the "blind" draw (hey, we're talking FIFA) so as not to knock each other out early.

Colombia may win the tournament - not a good barometer first game for the US. Of course we banged up James so we may now be the only team that had to play against him at full strength. Same old US mens' soccer story: world class goalkeeping and midfield, plenty of guys that can score, some exciting young talent, dreadful defense. Except for their very average goalkeeping, that usually describes Mexico too.

If we get even one guy with a hot scoring foot this tournament (like Clint Mathis in 2002 - 7 goals in 10 starts) we can do damage. For those that do not usually follow soccer, we lost a player to injury before this tournament named Jozy Altidore who is essentially a Randy Moss presense in that he worries defenses so much, he opens things up for others to score. Altidore also got hurt early in the last WC.

The Altidore-to-Moss comparison works for me because, like Moss, Altidore takes plays off IMO. I'm not sorry he isn't in the lineup.

Altidore fan, myself.

Not gonna lie, mainly just bumping because I didn't know this thread was here and I want it to be in my content list now.

I

I believe

I believe that I'm totally just kidding.

Hope we can get back on the front foot tonight.

Yep, we're eliminated with a loss tonight. If we draw tonight, we need Colombia to defeat both Costa Rica and Paraguay.

I know it hasn't been popular to say, but I thought we played pretty well against Colombia. I'd like to see Nagbe start in Jermaine Jones' position, though.I also wouldn't be opposed to moving Bradley up since this game will likely be played mostly on Costa Rica's side of the field and sliding Beckerman into Bradley's deep midfield position since he has a knack for breaking up counterattacks (Costa Rica's strength).

Yep, we're eliminated with a loss tonight. If we draw tonight, we need Colombia to defeat both Costa Rica and Paraguay.

I know it hasn't been popular to say, but I thought we played pretty well against Colombia. I'd like to see Nagbe start in Jermaine Jones' position, though.I also wouldn't be opposed to moving Bradley up since this game will likely be played mostly on Costa Rica's side of the field and sliding Beckerman into Bradley's deep midfield position since he has a knack for breaking up counterattacks (Costa Rica's strength).

IMO, until we stop basing the whole team around Bradley who makes twice as many critical mistakes than he does critical good plays, then we'll still be sitting around hoping. Bradley makes some very nice plays, but his tendency to completely muff passes straight to the other team and run after the guy with the ball like a 5 year old ...all over the field chasing the ball getting out of position and not helping to win the ball...these are not traits of great national team players. We need to replace Bradley with someone as soon as possible and find an actual #10. Til then...hope it is

IMO, until we stop basing the whole team around Bradley who makes twice as many critical mistakes than he does critical good plays, then we'll still be sitting around hoping. Bradley makes some very nice plays, but his tendency to completely muff passes straight to the other team and run after the guy with the ball like a 5 year old ...all over the field chasing the ball getting out of position and not helping to win the ball...these are not traits of great national team players. We need to replace Bradley with someone as soon as possible and find an actual #10. Til then...hope it is

I admittedly don't know a tremendous amount about soccer. I follow the national team closely but that's it. On Bradley, I like his creativity distributing the ball (the friendly against Bolivia was a great example of that) but I'm with you about his critical mistakes. I know the guy can't be perfect, of course. He's certainly one of our best eleven right now, though IMO.

Clint converted a penalty in the 9th minute. 20th minute 1-0 USA!

We're the better team early. Look nice and sharp in the attack. Just need to finish.

Jermaine Jones doubles out lead in the 37th from the top of the box!

Bobby Wood puts us up 3-0 in the 42nd!

USA looks like a team from sleep awake after game one. Just need to keep the pressure on.

Nice win. 4-0. Nice to get the goal diff up.

And now Oscar Romero will be out for Paraguay against the US due to a red card--that works.

The US advances with a win over Paraguay, but a tie would most likely do the trick too.

Brazil getting placed in a joke group to start every tournament and refs calling back other teams' legit goals against them self-perpetuates their phony image. Last night they beat Haiti 7-1...the same score Germany layed on Brazil IN Brazil last World Cup.

Greedy thought for the day: Colombia (having nothing to play for) loses to Costa Rica(having nothing to lose) while the US has another shootfest against Paraguay and US wins the group. CR is not as bad as the US made them look last game.

Brazil getting placed in a joke group to start every tournament and refs calling back other teams' legit goals against them self-perpetuates their phony image. Last night they beat Haiti 7-1...the same score Germany layed on Brazil IN Brazil last World Cup.

Greedy thought for the day: Colombia (having nothing to play for) loses to Costa Rica(having nothing to lose) while the US has another shootfest against Paraguay and US wins the group. CR is not as bad as the US made them look last game.

Hope that pans out. Much rather get Ecuador/Peru (probably Ecuador) first in the knockout stage than Brazil.

Archived