Copa America Centenario

AUDub

Wow. Crazy tourney. Who would have thought Brazil would be out with a +6 GD after 2 games, +5 after 3.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See,listen to your Uncle Canuck. Now if we ride that huge Seattle home field advantage past Ecuador, a rested Yedlin awaits (probably) Argentina and memories of 1995 Copa where we won our group and punked Argentina with Steve Sampson's 3-5-2. I remember the TV announcers in '95 - we lead 2-0 at halftime so Argentina subbed in guys it had been resting. We scored again and held them scoreless. The announcers were so sure Argentina was toying with us...surely the USA can't be THAT good.

Ecuador's most dangerous scoring threat (Moreno?) is on our right side where Yedlin's speed will be missed. So do we try slow but gritty Orozco there again? Move Fabian over from the left? Who then takes Fabian's spot?

Ecuador's most dangerous scoring threat (Moreno?) is on our right side where Yedlin's speed will be missed. So do we try slow but gritty Orozco there again? Move Fabian over from the left? Who then takes Fabian's spot?

That's a good question.

We could move Fabian over, but our options on the left are limited. I suppose we could stick Besler, Birnbaum or Castillo there. I'd prefer to keep Fabian on the left and take the risk with Orozco.

I'm assuming we will stay in the 4-4-2

If so, bedoya will get a serious workout. I'd imagine bedoya has an obscene first half defensive minded work rate and we see zusi most of the second half. Both those guys work hard and can help out on the right ... But will limit our O on that side

Venezuela is beating Mexico. Damn. 1-0 79th minute.

Corona equalizes for El TRI 80th minute!

2 of the 4 groups in this South American Championship tournament were won by the USA & Mexico - invited CONCACAF teams (north and central america and the carribean - the South Americans play in CONMEBOL). Suddenly blogs and websites are referring to this as "the Championship of the Americas" which is total bs. CONCACAF teams like World Cup invitee Honduras and a team that blanked us 3 months ago (Guatemala) were some of the many teams in "the Americas" not included in this South American show where CONCACAF is disturbingly stealing the spotlight. Tournament's not over but truth is South America's day of getting by on crazy good strikers and pathetic defenses may be dusk. Bazil gets punked 7-1 by Germany in the last world cup - changes nothing - is saved by a horrible goal call back against Equador, crushes Haiti(!) 7-1, struts for the media then is whining about getting tossed from a Peru handball goal? Really? All you need to know about Brazil is Hulk is a mainstay in their D.

That was a sick goal by Mexico

I watched about 40 minutes of the game ... High tempo and fun to watch

SICK goal. Fun game, indeed. Counter v counter for so much of that 2nd half. The individual ball skills on display were remarkable.

Chicharito was rather unimpressive and that made me happy. Signed, Petty American.

There was some individual skills in the game that made me want to record and show my kid ... Here is what hard work at technical skills can do.

I'd love a little more of those skills in our usmnt ... Along with the typical historic US soccer traits, we'd be scary. Some of the new guard are showing more of those skills. An odd example - brooks was really good on the ball when he was avoiding high pressure.

I don't understand people who are acting like Mexico's goal was all that sensational. It was atrocious defending against a guy who dribbled in a straight line into the center of the box. There were at least 2 stabbing attempts that rival what I see in my 8-year old nephew's games. Fun and exciting game, but I wasn't that impressed by the goal.

I don't understand people who are acting like Mexico's goal was all that sensational. It was atrocious defending against a guy who dribbled in a straight line into the center of the box. There were at least 2 stabbing attempts that rival what I see in my 8-year old nephew's games. Fun and exciting game, but I wasn't that impressed by the goal.

I agree. Venezuela's off the set piece, on the other hand.

I agree. Venezuela's off the set piece, on the other hand.

Agreed. That was pretty awesome.

The defending on the Mexico goal was poor, sure, but there was still a lot of audacity and skill on the part of Corona to take advantage of it. I know it's fun to be contrarian but a lot more experienced and knowledgeable football people than anybody on this board agree that it was an amazing goal.

There's another goal that people find impressive where a dude didn't really do much other than dribble in a straight line through a bunch of defenders. It's commonly referred to as the Goal of the Century.

The defending on the Mexico goal was poor, sure, but there was still a lot of audacity and skill on the part of Corona to take advantage of it. I know it's fun to be contrarian but a lot more experienced and knowledgeable football people than anybody on this board agree that it was an amazing goal.

There's another goal that people find impressive where a dude didn't really do much other than dribble in a straight line through a bunch of defenders. It's commonly referred to as the Goal of the Century.

It's an assumption to think I'm just trying to be contrarian and I consider myself quite knowledgeable as far as soccer goes. I played 4 years in high school and chose to come to Auburn, where there is no varsity program, over playing collegiately at a smaller school. I also ended up playing on the AU club team for a couple years.

Comparing the two goals is laughable.

Maradona's goal came in the quarter finals of the World Cup against an English team that went undefeated in qualifying. He did a really pretty step over then took the ball from his own half of the field and used both feet to beat multiple defenders before sidestepping the keeper and getting the goal.

Corona got the ball about 30 yards out, kept every touch on his right foot and went in a straight line against a horrific defense before taking a nice shot. He made one move that was at all decent and made Venezuela look every bit as bad as they actually are. In case you weren't aware, they haven't played in a World Cup. Ever.

The only reason people got all that excited about the goal was because it saved Mexico from an embarrassment.

The only reason people got all that excited about the goal was because it saved Mexico from an embarrassment.

That's patently false and wildly misguided. The only people with any love for Mexican soccer are Mexicans and CONCACAF (and, boy, do they love them some Mexico).

If that were such an easy goal, you would see goals like it more often. Good offenses go against terrible defenses in world soccer all the time and yet you just don't see that happen. It was very special athleticism, touch on the ball and cojones to even try it. The fact that the defense sucked doesn't change that.

And congrats on your credentials. I also played 4 years in high school. Played my whole life, actually. Still do, although not as frequently as I'd like. I still wouldn't value either of our opinions over the numerous people who have played and been around the highest levels of the sport for decades and who were very impressed by Corona's goal.

That's patently false and wildly misguided. The only people with any love for Mexican soccer are Mexicans and CONCACAF (and, boy, do they love them some Mexico).

If that were such an easy goal, you would see goals like it more often. Good offenses go against terrible defenses in world soccer all the time and yet you just don't see that happen. It was very special athleticism, touch on the ball and cojones to even try it. The fact that the defense sucked doesn't change that.

And congrats on your credentials. I also played 4 years in high school. Played my whole life, actually. Still do, although not as frequently as I'd like. I still wouldn't value either of our opinions over the numerous people who have played and been around the highest levels of the sport for decades and who were very impressed by Corona's goal.

Oh, are we whipping out our credentials now?

Played for twenty. Coached for seven. Reffed for two or three. Will be coaching nine-year-old competitive girls again in the coming fall.

Love the sport and especially how easy it is these days to catch a game on TV compared to ten years ago. Come a long way. I remember the nascent MLS and being a fan of the Tampa Bay Mutiny despite that awful mutant bat mascot of theirs and the awful unis of pretty much every team in the league. :laugh:

But, no. I was not impressed with the goal. Venezuela's back line broke down so horribly I would compare it to a dribbler going straight through a crowd for a layup untouched.

Seriously, here's a trip down memory lane for y'all:

20utmq1.jpg

They let Nike do the design and they came up with the silliest looking s*** imaginable, like they were trying for some goofy skater culture crap. It looks so, well, 90s. :roflol:

Love the sport and especially how easy it is these days to catch a game on TV compared to ten years ago.

The fact that a bunch of strangers from, presumably, different cities are discussing the quality of a goal Mexico scored against Venezuela... pretty amazing.

But, no. I was not impressed with the goal. Venezuela's back line broke down so horribly I would compare it to a dribbler going straight through a crowd for a layup untouched.

I just don't see how you don't give credit to the guy with the ball for participating in the whole "didn't get touched" part. BUT, you guys are right, it's an opinion thing.

I still feel like MLS branding is a little 90s, but man, those were atrocious.

Love the sport and especially how easy it is these days to catch a game on TV compared to ten years ago.

The fact that a bunch of strangers from, presumably, different cities are discussing the quality of a goal Mexico scored against Venezuela... pretty amazing.

I just don't see how you don't give credit to the guy with the ball for participating in the whole "didn't get touched" part. BUT, you guys are right, it's an opinion thing.

I still feel like MLS branding is a little 90s, but man, those were atrocious.

Oh, make no mistake. It was a decent goal, but I just wasn't blown away.

Man, the 90s were a different time. Things were "tubular" or "radical" or "XTREME!" The letter s was in danger of becoming obsolete due to the expanded prevalence of the z. Alexi Lalas was still getting his Viking on and young Landon Donovan still had a full head of hair.

Good times.

Question about yellow card rules: From what I've read, accumulated yellow cards will be cleared after the quarterfinals. So I took that to mean that if one of our numerous players carrying a yellow card gets a yellow card against Ecuador, then they would be alright to play in the semis, yeah? I've read conflicting things on this--can anyone clarify?

Question about yellow card rules: From what I've read, accumulated yellow cards will be cleared after the quarterfinals. So I took that to mean that if one of our numerous players carrying a yellow card gets a yellow card against Ecuador, then they would be alright to play in the semis, yeah? I've read conflicting things on this--can anyone clarify?

No. They will be suspended for the semifinals.

Archived