A video I think white people need to see

Grumps

http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2016/07/08/anwar-sanders-dallas-shooting-newsroom.cnn

Please watch this video. Here is a black police officer who admits to being scared of the police when he is not in uniform. This video had a big impact on me. I would have thought ANY police officer would be comfortable dealing with other police officers whether he was in uniform or not. I really think that have been ignorant to what black people face and this video helped to decrease that a little bit.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad it helped your understanding. Thanks for posting it. 

I think all people need to see it.

Someone posted a video the other day of a black Birmingham police officer wanting to do workshops on how to deal with the police. That police officer said he had been discriminated against, even on the job as a sergeant, so he can only imagine the level of discrimination towards the civilian population.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/07/

new study confirms that black men and women are treated differently in the hands of law enforcement. They are more likely to be touched, handcuffed, pushed to the ground or pepper-sprayed by a police officer, even after accounting for how, where and when they encounter the police.

But when it comes to the most lethal form of force — police shootings — the study finds no racial bias

12/upshot/surprising-new-evidence-shows-bias-in-police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html?_r=0&referer=

Better ? 

Don't get me wrong, I was already aware enough to know that it is harder to be black in most places in this country than it is to be white, but if a police officer feels it then it is clearly worse than I would have thought. For example, I have a white lawyer friend who drinks beer while driving VERY frequently. He is not even a little worried about getting arrested. He seems quite sure that he can get out of any problems he gets into. I seriously would have thought that a black police officer would feel similarly.

On 7/11/2016 at 11:11 AM, Grumps said:

http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2016/07/08/anwar-sanders-dallas-shooting-newsroom.cnn

Please watch this video. Here is a black police officer who admits to being scared of the police when he is not in uniform. This video had a big impact on me. I would have thought ANY police officer would be comfortable dealing with other police officers whether he was in uniform or not. I really think that have been ignorant to what black people face and this video helped to decrease that a little bit.

Agreed. All white people should view, but even then, there will be comprehension issues.

And by 'comprehension issues ', you mean there are some who'll still have their own opinions ? What ever can be done to end this scourge ? 

Man said he had his gun, but forgot his wallet. Hey, you'd better feel self conscious if you ever do something like that. I drive down the street and forget my wallet, and scenarios run in my head as to ' what if I get pulled over, or in an accident ...  ? " . And spare me the " It's not the same thing ! " nonsense. I GET that, but it's STILL a human response, a natural reaction to a situation you know yourself to be in , and not every fear or uncomfortable moment is because of 'racism'. 

38 minutes ago, AURaptor said:

And by 'comprehension issues ', you mean there are some who'll still have their own opinions ? What ever can be done to end this scourge ? 

Man said he had his gun, but forgot his wallet. Hey, you'd better feel self conscious if you ever do something like that. I drive down the street and forget my wallet, and scenarios run in my head as to ' what if I get pulled over, or in an accident ...  ? " . And spare me the " It's not the same thing ! " nonsense. I GET that, but it's STILL a human response, a natural reaction to a situation you know yourself to be in , and not every fear or uncomfortable moment is because of 'racism'. 

Very likely. Empathy.

On July 11, 2016 at 11:56 AM, AURaptor said:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/07/

new study confirms that black men and women are treated differently in the hands of law enforcement. They are more likely to be touched, handcuffed, pushed to the ground or pepper-sprayed by a police officer, even after accounting for how, where and when they encounter the police.

But when it comes to the most lethal form of force — police shootings — the study finds no racial bias

12/upshot/surprising-new-evidence-shows-bias-in-police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html?_r=0&referer=

Better ? 

On this day, Raptor evokes Harvard and the NY Times.

10 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

On this day, Raptor evokes Harvard and the NY Times.

Yes I do. It is especially important to note that a black Harvard educator is "surprised" at the findings. I'll let you think about that for a while. 

So basically, black people are more likely to experience police brutality. Startling results.

Funny what some people will take a report and what they will ignore. 

Funny what some people will take a report and what they will ignore. 

What he mentioned though could be a big cause in all of this mess. Things like he mentioned will lead to mistrust of the police. A persons mistrust in the police will lead to one being more apt to resist....the person who resists the police can cause the police to react in a violent way...its a cycle that starts at the point of earning trust and keeping trust in both parties involved. 

9 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

It's also funny that instead of going with the theme of the OP, that you decided to deflect and use an article that is largely irrelevant to the OP as the OP encompasses all things police brutality, not just police shootings. 

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

Indeed.

Explain to me how you overlook this… 

“It is the most surprising result of my career,” said Roland G. Fryer Jr., the author of the study

*Note how he said it was not " mildly " surprising, but THE most surprising result of his career. 

again, as you pointed out. A black professor . From Harvard. I'm going to go on a limb here and guess he  isn't exactly a tea party fan? 

Lol at the people that refuses to look beyond the shootings. Beyond the shootings, the police showed they have a greater propensity to be more brutal than with white folks. Such as 24% more likely to have a weapon pointed at them...

Was Freddie Gray shot???

And there goes the jenga house.....

28 minutes ago, AURaptor said:

Explain to me how you overlook this… 

“It is the most surprising result of my career,” said Roland G. Fryer Jr., the author of the study

*Note how he said it was not " mildly " surprising, but THE most surprising result of his career. 

again, as you pointed out. A black professor . From Harvard. I'm going to go on a limb here and guess he  isn't exactly a tea party fan? 

My remark was just to say that it seems both sides are overlooking certain things and emphasizing others.  For instance, you didn't bother to point out these things (which also are part of what has made black people upset with and wary of police):

new study confirms that black men and women are treated differently in the hands of law enforcement. They are more likely to be touched, handcuffed, pushed to the ground or pepper-sprayed by a police officer, even after accounting for how, where and when they encounter the police

..The counterintuitive results provoked debate after the study was posted on Monday, mostly about the volume of police encounters and the scope of the data. Mr. Fryer emphasizes that the work is not the definitive analysis of police shootings, and that more data would be needed to understand the country as a whole. This work focused only on what happens once the police have stopped civilians, not on the risk of being stopped at all. Other research has shown that blacks are more likely to be stopped by the police.

...Moreover, the results do not mean that the general public’s perception of racism in policing is misguided. Lethal uses of force are exceedingly rare. There were 1.6 million arrests in Houston in the years Mr. Fryer studied. Officers fired their weapons 507 times. What is far more common are nonlethal uses of force.

...And in these uses of force, Mr. Fryer found racial differences, which is in accord with public perception and other studies.

That gap, adjusted for suspect behavior and other factors, was surprisingly consistent across various levels of force. Black suspects were 18 percent more likely to be pushed up against a wall, 16 percent more likely to be handcuffed without being arrested and 18 percent more likely to be pushed to the ground.

Even when the police said that civilians were compliant, blacks experienced more force.

Blacks are more likely to be stopped by police because blacks are more likely to be committing crimes. So would be ridiculous to assume that if one group commits crimes are higher rate that they would still be treated exactly the same as all the groups who commit less crime. 

3 minutes ago, AURaptor said:

Blacks are more likely to be stopped by police because blacks are more likely to be committing crimes. So would be ridiculous to assume that if one group commits crimes are higher rate that they would still be treated exactly the same as all the groups who commit less crime. 

I'm pretty sure the professor who did the study accounted for crime rates and percentage of the population already.  They weren't talking about raw numbers.  It said "of those who where stopped by police" and took a percentage of that group, not whites or blacks as a whole or looking at raw numbers.

4 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

So basically, black people are more likely to experience police brutality. Startling results.

Did you read the article?  Did you see where white people were more likely to be shot at?  Which is worse, handcuffs or bullets?  The only number he showed for this is they whites in a certain area were 20 percent more likely to be shot at. The other numbers of "brutality" average at around 20 percent more prevalent for blacks. So it's a wash overall, except that being shot at is a hell of a lot worse than being punched or kicked. It is startling results and changes the reality of the discussion the entire country is having about police shooting blacks so much more than whites. This proves the entire basis for that argument to be under false pretenses. How much more startling does it need to be?

27 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

Did you read the article?  Did you see where white people were more likely to be shot at?  Which is worse, handcuffs or bullets?  The only number he showed for this is they whites in a certain area were 20 percent more likely to be shot at. The other numbers of "brutality" average at around 20 percent more prevalent for blacks. So it's a wash overall, except that being shot at is a hell of a lot worse than being punched or kicked. It is startling results and changes the reality of the discussion the entire country is having about police shooting blacks so much more than whites. This proves the entire basis for that argument to be under false pretenses. How much more startling does it need to be?

The study has more holes than Swiss cheese. Did you read the above article?  

20 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

The study has more holes than Swiss cheese. Did you read the above article?  

That one has holes?  Your "study" showed basically one stat with no facts about those stats. It also included ridiculous comments such as "Michael Brown was stopped by Darren Wilson for walking in the middle of the street." 

Lets leave out the fact that he was leaving the scene of a robbery.   Your article is one giant hole, not just one with holes. 

Archived