Big Green Egg

RunInRed

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

@RunInRed and everyone else. Made some ribs today. First try,  and they were PHENOMENAL. I'll post some pictures and my step by step tomorrow. 

Yes, please do!

31 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

@RunInRed and everyone else. Made some ribs today. First try,  and they were PHENOMENAL. I'll post some pictures and my step by step tomorrow. 

Woo-Hoo! I can't wait to see pictures!

10 hours ago, Barnacle said:

WTH no invite................................

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

WTH no invite................................

Oh, er, umm... yeah must have forgotten about you Golf. How rude of me. ;)

I've been wanting to try ribs for a long time now. For whatever reason, they've intimidated me. Mostly because I've had a lot of subpar ribs and I hate not doing anything well. The only other real smoking I've done have been with butts, so I'm not real experienced either. For those of you who haven't tackled ribs, I would HIGHLY recommend doing it this way. I 

I ended up buying three racks from Costco. They were well butchered, so there wasn't too much trimming for me to do at home. 

Step 1) Trim the ribs. There is a membrane attached to the bone side of the rib that needs to be removed. You can do this easily using some paper towel, and rubbing one end of it until you've pulled up a flap large enough to grab onto and pull off the entire membrane. Then trim off any excess or hanging fat from the meat. I didn't go crazy with the fat trimming because I figured a lot of it would render while cooking, but I did try and make them all look uniform. 

Step 2) Rinse ribs under cold water and pat dry. 

Step 3) Apply dry rub. First very lightly spread some yellow mustard over the ribs. You don't need much, just enough to cover the rib. The mustard flavor won't be noticeable, but it will bind the rub to the meat. Once you've rubbed in some mustard apply the dry rub. I used Wild Bunch Butt Burner All Purpose Seasoning. Found this at a local supermarket in Huntsville, where the butcher recommended it. Apply moderately. I essentially made two healthy passes of shaking down each side of the ribs, until all the meat was well covered. I've heard you can over do this, but don't be shy. Also, I ended up cutting each of the racks in half so that I could fit them on the BGE. 

20160815_084652.jpg

20160814_153256.jpg

Let the ribs then sit for 20-30 minutes in order for the rub to sink in. You can see the moisture coming through the rub, that's what you want. 

Step 4) The Grill. I used a Large Big Green Egg. Before starting, I made sure to clean out the grill completely. I removed all residual ash from the bottom of the grill, and all remaining charcoal on the grate. Then, in layers I put down charcoal and cherry wood. I used Cowboy charcoal yesterday, but I usually prefer Red Oak. Not much of a difference. The cherry chips I used were small. If you can find larger chunks, I think I would prefer them. Either way, I'd lay down a layer of charcoal, then a handful of cherry chips, then repeat until I got to the top of the charcoal grate. Probably 4 handfulls of cherry chips in total. I then lighted the charcoal and ran for about 45 minutes until I was holding a steady 275 degrees F. 

Step 5) Once the grill was holding steady at 275, and with the plate setter already in place, I placed the ribs (bone side down) onto the grill. A large green egg barely fits 3 full racks of ribs

20160814_153942 (1).jpg

I smoked these for about 2 and a half hours at 275. I read that the key to "doneness" is not time but color. You want to pull them when they have reached a mahogany color. This next picture was taken about 20-25 minutes before I pulled them. I wanted them just a little darker than this.

20160814_172958.jpg

Step 6) Remove the racks from the grill. Inside, I laid out three large sheets of tin foil. On those sheets I sprinkled a moderate amount of light brown sugar with honey drizzled on top. I then placed the racks meat side down onto the brown sugar and honey. Next, I also applied brown sugar and honey to the bone side, which is now facing up. Afterwards, I dusted the bone sides with a little more rub, and then double wrapped them in foil tightly. After all the racks were in foil, I then placed them back onto the grill (bone side down now) for another hour. After about an hour I pulled them off the grill to examine. At this point you are wanting to make sure the ribs are cooked through and tender. 

A good test is to take the rack and place it on a cutting board bone side down. Take a knife, and without using the sharp end place it under the rack right in the middle. Then lift. The rack should be flexible, and the meat should begin to break away from the bone in the middle of the rack where your knife is, but the rest of the meat on the ends should not be falling off. If its not breaking away at the middle, its not done. If its falling off everywhere, its overdone. I think this also comes down to personal preference. Mine were almost perfect, so I let them sit in foil for another 15 minutes. 

Step 6) I reopened the foil and turned each rack over so they were now meat side up. Then I lightly glazed each rib with sauce. 20160815_084716.jpg

This sauce was also recommended to me by my butcher. Highly recommended. Really, really good BBQ sauce. After saucing, I tented the foil with the meat still facing meat side up for another 10 minutes, then removed and cut. I really wish I had pictures of the meat before and after saucing. Instead, I only have this one picture after they were cut. 

20160814_194017 (1).jpg

Guys, I'm usually hyper critical of food that I make. I also have a harder time enjoying the food that I cook for whatever reason. Maybe its expectations. Not this time. These were incredible ribs. I mean, really, really good ribs. I'm not saying they are competition ready, but there isn't a thing I would have changed about them. Beginner's luck I don't know. 

I think the key was waiting to take them off the first time until they reached the right color, and then adding the brown sugar, honey and foil to finish. From there you just have to nail the doneness. Then make sure you've got a good sauce. I also pulled half a rack without saucing, and it was fantastic too. I just prefer a light glaze of sauce on there. 

Anyway. Let me know if you have any questions. I think anyone could do this honestly. You just have to be attentive to the details. Enjoy!

Great job @Barnacle!  Those sound (and look amazing).

Still haven't pulled the trigger on my BGE/setup but posts like these make me want to accelerate the process.

Those look GREAT! And your butcher told you MY secret to the world's best ribs--Blues Hog sauce! I order it from Missouri. It looks like they could not have been better! Once you are satisfied that you can consistently make those same ribs (I think you will find that it is always that easy), then try something even easier. I used to foil my ribs like you did, then someone talked me into cutting the step out. Now I just cook mine at 275 for 4.5 hours (250 for babybacks). Then I add the sauce and cook for 30 more minutes. So that's 5 hours of cooking with only 1 step once I throw them on the BGE. I could not taste a difference.

Where is your rub made? I have not seen it before. The next time you are killing time take a look at Dizzy Pig rubs. They have one called Red Eye Express that is my go-to for ribs. They are made by an Egger in Virginia. It has a slight coffee flavor that adds some depth to the ribs. Man, I better stop, I'm getting hungry! Great job!

5 hours ago, Grumps said:

Those look GREAT! And your butcher told you MY secret to the world's best ribs--Blues Hog sauce! I order it from Missouri. It looks like they could not have been better! Once you are satisfied that you can consistently make those same ribs (I think you will find that it is always that easy), then try something even easier. I used to foil my ribs like you did, then someone talked me into cutting the step out. Now I just cook mine at 275 for 4.5 hours (250 for babybacks). Then I add the sauce and cook for 30 more minutes. So that's 5 hours of cooking with only 1 step once I throw them on the BGE. I could not taste a difference.

Where is your rub made? I have not seen it before. The next time you are killing time take a look at Dizzy Pig rubs. They have one called Red Eye Express that is my go-to for ribs. They are made by an Egger in Virginia. It has a slight coffee flavor that adds some depth to the ribs. Man, I better stop, I'm getting hungry! Great job!

This is some great info

On 8/15/2016 at 10:46 AM, Barnacle said:

I've been wanting to try ribs for a long time now. For whatever reason, they've intimidated me. Mostly because I've had a lot of subpar ribs and I hate not doing anything well. The only other real smoking I've done have been with butts, so I'm not real experienced either. For those of you who haven't tackled ribs, I would HIGHLY recommend doing it this way. I 

I ended up buying three racks from Costco. They were well butchered, so there wasn't too much trimming for me to do at home. 

Step 1) Trim the ribs. There is a membrane attached to the bone side of the rib that needs to be removed. You can do this easily using some paper towel, and rubbing one end of it until you've pulled up a flap large enough to grab onto and pull off the entire membrane. Then trim off any excess or hanging fat from the meat. I didn't go crazy with the fat trimming because I figured a lot of it would render while cooking, but I did try and make them all look uniform. 

Step 3) Apply dry rub. First very lightly spread some yellow mustard over the ribs. You don't need much, just enough to cover the rib. The mustard flavor won't be noticeable, but it will bind the rub to the meat. Once you've rubbed in some mustard apply the dry rub. I used Wild Bunch Butt Burner All Purpose Seasoning. Found this at a local supermarket in Huntsville, where the butcher recommended it. Apply moderately. I essentially made two healthy passes of shaking down each side of the ribs, until all the meat was well covered. I've heard you can over do this, but don't be shy. Also, I ended up cutting each of the racks in half so that I could fit them on the BGE. 

20160815_084652.jpg

20160814_153256.jpg

Let the ribs then sit for 20-30 minutes in order for the rub to sink in. You can see the moisture coming through the rub, that's what you want. 

Step 4) The Grill. I used a Large Big Green Egg. Before starting, I made sure to clean out the grill completely. I removed all residual ash from the bottom of the grill, and all remaining charcoal on the grate. Then, in layers I put down charcoal and cherry wood. I used Cowboy charcoal yesterday, but I usually prefer Red Oak. Not much of a difference. The cherry chips I used were small. If you can find larger chunks, I think I would prefer them. Either way, I'd lay down a layer of charcoal, then a handful of cherry chips, then repeat until I got to the top of the charcoal grate. Probably 4 handfulls of cherry chips in total. I then lighted the charcoal and ran for about 45 minutes until I was holding a steady 275 degrees F. 

Step 5) Once the grill was holding steady at 275, and with the plate setter already in place, I placed the ribs (bone side down) onto the grill. A large green egg barely fits 3 full racks of ribs

20160814_153942 (1).jpg

I smoked these for about 2 and a half hours at 275. I read that the key to "doneness" is not time but color. You want to pull them when they have reached a mahogany color. This next picture was taken about 20-25 minutes before I pulled them. I wanted them just a little darker than this.

20160814_172958.jpg

Step 6) Remove the racks from the grill. Inside, I laid out three large sheets of tin foil. On those sheets I sprinkled a moderate amount of light brown sugar with honey drizzled on top. I then placed the racks meat side down onto the brown sugar and honey. Next, I also applied brown sugar and honey to the bone side, which is now facing up. Afterwards, I dusted the bone sides with a little more rub, and then double wrapped them in foil tightly. After all the racks were in foil, I then placed them back onto the grill (bone side down now) for another hour. After about an hour I pulled them off the grill to examine. At this point you are wanting to make sure the ribs are cooked through and tender. 

A good test is to take the rack and place it on a cutting board bone side down. Take a knife, and without using the sharp end place it under the rack right in the middle. Then lift. The rack should be flexible, and the meat should begin to break away from the bone in the middle of the rack where your knife is, but the rest of the meat on the ends should not be falling off. If its not breaking away at the middle, its not done. If its falling off everywhere, its overdone. I think this also comes down to personal preference. Mine were almost perfect, so I let them sit in foil for another 15 minutes. 

Step 6) I reopened the foil and turned each rack over so they were now meat side up. Then I lightly glazed each rib with sauce. 20160815_084716.jpg

This sauce was also recommended to me by my butcher. Highly recommended. Really, really good BBQ sauce. After saucing, I tented the foil with the meat still facing meat side up for another 10 minutes, then removed and cut. I really wish I had pictures of the meat before and after saucing. Instead, I only have this one picture after they were cut. 

20160814_194017 (1).jpg

Guys, I'm usually hyper critical of food that I make. I also have a harder time enjoying the food that I cook for whatever reason. Maybe its expectations. Not this time. These were incredible ribs. I mean, really, really good ribs. I'm not saying they are competition ready, but there isn't a thing I would have changed about them. Beginner's luck I don't know. 

I think the key was waiting to take them off the first time until they reached the right color, and then adding the brown sugar, honey and foil to finish. From there you just have to nail the doneness. Then make sure you've got a good sauce. I also pulled half a rack without saucing, and it was fantastic too. I just prefer a light glaze of sauce on there. 

Anyway. Let me know if you have any questions. I think anyone could do this honestly. You just have to be attentive to the details. Enjoy!

Great job of presenting  Barn....you really need to stop biting your nails.......j/k j/k

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

you really need to stop biting your nails.......j/k j/k

This is no joke though. It's a horrible habit that I'm ashamed of. I've tried everything haha. One of these days...

9 hours ago, Grumps said:

Thank you sir! I have in fact had some of the Dizzy Pig rubs. I'm not sure which. Before I got married one of my roommates had a few of them that we used often. The rub that I used is actually from Atmore. I thought it was great, but I'd love to give the one you mentioned a try. 

I'm glad I decided to go ahead and make them though. Now that I know how, I've got the confidence to make them again. 

• 1 year later...

Finally pulled the trigger today.  Initial purchase included a Large Egg, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter and Cover.  Dealer also threw in a bag of lump, starters and delivery/setup.  Already got my eyes on a few accessories but pretty giddy to get started in the meantime.  I'll keep you guys posted on my adventures. :)

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 9:46 AM, Barnacle said:

20160815_084652.jpg

20160814_153256.jpg

20160814_153942 (1).jpg

20160814_172958.jpg

20160814_194017 (1).jpg

Thanks for posting?

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

Finally pulled the trigger today.  Initial purchase included a Large Egg, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter and Cover.  Dealer also threw in a bag of lump, starters and delivery/setup.  Already got my eyes on a few accessories but pretty giddy to get started in the meantime.  I'll keep you guys posted on my adventures. :)

Congrats Red.....may you get much enjoyment ?

4 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Congratulations! You will love it. Good call on the plate setter - it's a must IMO.

Any first cook recs? See where they say not to run it too hot the first few times ...

PS - Just ordered a few accessories - ash tool, 3 level rack, pizza stone, pizza peel, rib rack and beer can chicken stand ...

Still got my eyes on a loof lighter and cast iron grate but this is adding up fast! ?

28 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Any first cook recs? See where they say not to run it too hot the first few times ...

PS - Just ordered a few accessories - ash tool, 3 level rack, pizza stone, pizza peel, rib rack and beer can chicken stand ...

Still got my eyes on a loof lighter and cast iron grate but this is adding up fast! ?

Loof lighter is another good call. 

You could always slow cook some chicken thighs. I usually throw them on skin side up at about 250-275 and leave them on there for a solid 1.5-2 hours, making sure to get a quick sear on the skin-side toward the end before flipping them back over to skin-side-up and basting with some BBQ sauce. Cook for five more minutes and pull those suckers. 

https://misrubins.com/pages/find-the-magic

I usually go with the "Gun-powder" seasoning that Star Market makes and sells here in Huntsville, but Ms. Rubin's rubs are a good substitute if you can find them. Buy the White and the Black Magic and rub down the chicken liberally 1:1. 

I'll baste with a mix of Blues Hog Original sauce and Tiger Sauce, also at a 1:1 ratio. Usually have a big ball jar with that combo in the fridge - it's dangerously delicious.

Be really careful the first time you use your BGE. Since it's still unused, you are going to get really good air-flow and if you turn your back on it, the temp can run up very quickly. 

I usually light three spots with the loof-lighter (getting a hot flame going in each spot). When you shut the lid, open the bottom vent up about 2-3 inches, and open the top vent about an inch. When the temp reaches 300 degrees close down the bottom vent to about half an inch to an inch, until the temp drops down to your target. Don't forget to put the grate back on after lighting the coals, either. You'll be ready to cook and realize you still have a cold grate sitting next to the grill. Happens to me all the time.

Also, Academy Sports sells B&B lump charcoal, which I would highly recommend after you run through that first bag you have. I like their hickory charcoal (green bag). 

I'll post more later. Don't hesitate to ask any questions if you've got them!

I am not going to argue against the Big Green Egg, I'd like to have one.  But I have used a "Cookin Cajun" for decades for my BBQ.    It will hold two racks of ribs with a vertical rib rack. 

Unfortunately, it's getting old and I can no longer find the model pictured below that has a separate fire pan which allows you to lift off the top sections to start the fire.  (BTW, I highly recommend electric charcoal starters.  I have gone through several of those over the years.)

Sooner or later, I'll need to replace my Cookin Cajun and the Big Green Egg will be an option.  It's just kind of hard to justify unless you do a lot of BBQ, which I don't. I use a small Weber gas grill for steaks and grilled vegetables which gets a lot of use.  (I hate to build a charcoal fire to grill a couple of steaks and veggies.)

Anyone have an experience with the Green Egg knock-offs?

Brinkmann 850-7000-1 Cook'N Ca'Jun Charcoal Smoker/Grill

Electric charcoal starter:

vision-grills-charcoal-starter-lighters-

Dumb question - could I simply throw some boneless skinless breasts on indirect - 275ish with a rub and then baste at end with a sauce? @Barnacle

47 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Dumb question - could I simply throw some boneless skinless breasts on indirect - 275ish with a rub and then baste at end with a sauce? @Barnacle

Most definitely! They won't need to stay on as long though. If you have time, might want to brine the breasts.

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

I am not going to argue against the Big Green Egg, I'd like to have one.  But I have used a "Cookin Cajun" for decades for my BBQ.    It will hold two racks of ribs with a vertical rib rack. 

Unfortunately, it's getting old and I can no longer find the model pictured below that has a separate fire pan which allows you to lift off the top sections to start the fire.  (BTW, I highly recommend electric charcoal starters.  I have gone through several of those over the years.)

Sooner or later, I'll need to replace my Cookin Cajun and the Big Green Egg will be an option.  It's just kind of hard to justify unless you do a lot of BBQ, which I don't. I use a small Weber gas grill for steaks and grilled vegetables which gets a lot of use.  (I hate to build a charcoal fire to grill a couple of steaks and veggies.)

Anyone have an experience with the Green Egg knock-offs?

Brinkmann 850-7000-1 Cook'N Ca'Jun Charcoal Smoker/Grill

Electric charcoal starter:

vision-grills-charcoal-starter-lighters-

I have a good friend who bought a knock off from Lowe's or Home Depot and likes it a lot. I also know people who have Kamado Joe's and love them.

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Most definitely! They won't need to stay on as long though. If you have time, might want to brine the breasts.

Awesome - given them about 3 hours in zesty Italian ... will keep you all posted!

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Highly recommend this

20 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Awesome - given them about 3 hours in zesty Italian ... will keep you all posted!

Also this works really well damn making me............hungry 

Archived