Television Shows

Watched “Abducted in plain sight “ on Netflix. I recommend it. You won’t believe what you are hearing but you will. It’s just one show 90 minutes. 

• 1 month later...

Anybody see what happened on Game of Thrones last night? I mean, I watched it, but I couldn't really see what happened. Good gravy, why was it so dark and murky? I suppose they could make a case for that being an artistic choice but I think it was just bad filmmaking. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Anybody see what happened on Game of Thrones last night? I mean, I watched it, but I couldn't really see what happened. Good gravy, why was it so dark and murky? I suppose they could make a case for that being an artistic choice but I think it was just bad filmmaking. 

I thought the battle itself was brilliant with good balance of hope versus no hope.  I do think it was a creative choice to make it feel like the dead were overwhelming in numbers and advantage.  I did find it more chaotic than my taste.  I did find it interesting in the complete tone change of Arya sneaking through the library avoiding the dead.  That was intense.  I kept waiting for a sudden action to happen and therefore throw my drink across the room lol.  The end did give me a holy crap moment.  I went into the episode wondering if this could compete with the Helms Deep battle in LOTR. I find it did in its own way. Anyways I thought it was great overall. 

Edited by AUBwins
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

I thought the battle itself was brilliant with good balance of hope versus no hope.  I do think it was a creative choice to make it feel like the dead were overwhelming in numbers and advantage.  I did find it more chaotic than my taste.  I did find it interesting in the complete tone change of Arya sneaking through the library avoiding the dead.  That was intense.  I kept waiting for a sudden action to happen and therefore throw my drink across the room lol.  The end did give me a holy crap moment.  I went into the episode wondering if this could compete with the Helms Deep battle in LOTR. I find it did in its own way. Anyways I thought it was great overall. 

Yeah man, that scene in the library was intense. And I must admit I found myself physically tense for most of the episode, which was almost feature film-length. So they definitely accomplished a lot. I'm not excited about this season so far but I'm just trying not to think on it too deeply and just be grateful that SPOILER ALERT SERIOUSLY DO NOT READ ANOTHER WORD IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED YET SERIOUSLY I'M SERIOUS HERE OKAY HOPEFULLY THEY'VE ALL STOPPED READING we get to watch all the truly major characters some more.

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Easier to hide CGI in the dark. I loved the episode. I liked the feeling of dread in the beginning, especially as the Dothraki blades started blinking out. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 3

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

Easier to hide CGI in the dark. I loved the episode. 

Yeah. I was thinking it was probably as much a pragmatic decision as an artistic one. It probably did help to build the suspense and put you in the moment and all that but I think they could have accomplished more doing it differently.

• Like 1

I was a little confused at times. I couldn’t figure out why( SPOILER ALERT AGAIN) they didn’t use the dragons to burn the dead sooner. I think they had trouble seeing once they did fly. Then we had a Top Gun kinda battle. Like previously  mentioned Arya was awesome. She has been my favorite character for most of the show’s entirety. I do feel sorry for the real person. She grew from such a cute little girl to a not so cute young lady. 

On 3/28/2019 at 12:58 AM, alexava said:

Watched “Abducted in plain sight “ on Netflix. I recommend it. You won’t believe what you are hearing but you will. It’s just one show 90 minutes. 

I still don't believe it but you actually hear them talk about and they seem so normal /average people

God frickin what a f....... upped Mom and Dad.............B seducted the Mom, the dad and kidnapped the 12 year kid twice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've watched a lot of ID on tv and this is by far the strangest,weirdest I have ever ever seen. We talking aliens, half humans, saving the world by having his kid.  

Here's the trailer

• Like 1

On 5/1/2019 at 9:47 PM, alexava said:

F29BCD02-19D1-4504-814E-F9B5DAA5C147.jpeg

There are two people in my office who spend a LOT of time talking GOT every Monday.

This past Monday, this dude says, "But wait, that would make Dany his aunt!?" Dude. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Most asinine battle plan EVER! You do not attack with your cavalry. You let the enemy come forward, pull them in, light your trenches, let the ground troops stall them, then attack with your mounted troops from the sides and the rear. You don't have to be an expert in military strategy (or Roman history) to know that you don't just throw your cavalry out there to be killed right off.

Other questions -- why was the Night King immune to dragon fire? Why, in that fireside session, did Tyrion say, "I think we are all going to be alright" and everyone there survived? Why do all our heroes (Jaime, Brienne, Tyrion, Arya, etc -- why are none of them wearing helmets? Mellisandra came into the war zone from the direction of the dead. How was that? Why did she only light the Dothraki swords on fire? Why not the Unsullied spears? Why was Ghost attacking with the Dothraki? Mellisandra took off her necklace before and didn't die. Why does she die this time?

Frankly, I found this episode seriously flawed and disappointing. Actually, so far, I'd have to say that (to me) this has been the weakest season of all.

Edited by AURex
  • Like 1

On 4/29/2019 at 7:36 AM, McLoofus said:

Turned off on episode 5 of season 1............unlike Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones has failed to pull me in thus far.........the acting is great so I dont quite understand........when wife begged me to watch 1 episode of Breaking Bad I was hooked.......I'm sure it will reel me in eventually👍

• Like 1

On 4/29/2019 at 7:36 AM, McLoofus said:

Well, it was dark because it was night.  It got kind of murky because of the fires and smoke.  I thought it was good filmmaking.  How many times have we watched movies where it is set at night and you can see everything?  I don't know where you are from but where I'm from when it is night time it is dark. 

9 hours ago, AURex said:

Most asinine battle plan EVER! You do not attack with your cavalry. You let the enemy come forward, pull them in, light your trenches, let the ground troops stall them, then attack with your mounted troops from the sides and the rear. You don't have to be an expert in military strategy (or Roman history) to know that you don't just throw your cavalry out there to be killed right off.

Other questions -- why was the Night King immune to dragon fire? Why, in that fireside session, did Tyrion say, "I think we are all going to be alright" and everyone there survived? Why do all our heroes (Jaime, Brienne, Tyrion, Arya, etc -- why are none of them wearing helmets? Mellisandra came into the war zone from the direction of the dead. How was that? Why did she only light the Dothraki swords on fire? Why not the Unsullied spears? Why was Ghost attacking with the Dothraki? Mellisandra took off her necklace before and didn't die. Why does she die this time?

Frankly, I found this episode seriously flawed and disappointing. Actually, so far, I'd have to say that (to me) this has been the weakest season of all.

I had several of the same questions.  

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

Well, it was dark because it was night.  It got kind of murky because of the fires and smoke.  I thought it was good filmmaking.  How many times have we watched movies where it is set at night and you can see everything?  I don't know where you are from but where I'm from when it is night time it is dark. 

Oh jeez. Where I am from there aren't dragons or huge zombie armies, either. 😕

The prevailing sentiment seems to be that they didn't take current cable/streaming constraints into consideration. Basically, it probably looked better on whatever tech the cinematographer watched it on than it did on our TVs at home. In Reddit I trust...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Turned off on episode 5 of season 1............unlike Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones has failed to pull me in thus far.........the acting is great so I dont quite understand........when wife begged me to watch 1 episode of Breaking Bad I was hooked.......I'm sure it will reel me in eventually👍

There was only one early stretch I didn't like, and that was strictly how they handled one very specific plotline. Which is extremely impressive given the expansive universe of the books/show. 

But ever since they got past the end of Martin's story and started telling their own, well... I'm grateful for what once was.

Edited by McLoofus

9 hours ago, McLoofus said:

There was only one early stretch I didn't like, and that was strictly how they handled one very specific plotline. Which is extremely impressive given the expansive universe of the books/show. 

But ever since they got past the end of Martin's story and started telling their own, well... I'm grateful for what once was.

Plan on watching a few episodes tonight.

• Like 1

Since Season 1 Episode 1, we have been building up to some huge REVEAL regarding the coming of winter and the white walkers. It has been posed as some sort of world changing event, with deep philosophical, moral, world shattering consequences. The Night King has been on some sort of mission to destroy humanity and achieve some mysterious goal. This is supposed to be some sort of EPIC tale that plays out over history, making the spats among royal/country folks completely irrelevant and trivial..

So what do we get? His only goal is to kill Bran, because Bran doesn't drink but he knows things?  He's a dragon slayer, immune to dragon fire, accompanied by his most powerful generals, but a little girl hops on his back (I guess none of the white walker generals behind him noticed her coming?) and stabs him. And that is the end of 8 seasons of this monumental terror confronting the world? Really?

And what are we left with?  We are right back at the very beginning with just assorted countries/enemies/psychopaths fighting each other? Right back at the game of thrones, so just ignore all that Song of Ice and Fire bit -- that was just a diversion to drag it out for additional years.

I'll watch the next few episodes just to see what happens, because I've watched this long, so a couple of hours more won't matter much. But being so disappointed in the overal lstory, I may not watch any of the spin-off series that are in the works.

I feel much the same about the Westworld series culmination. Despite the superior production values, I'm getting frustrated with HBO series that have great original ideas and then just end flat.

Edited by AURex

There’s still another episode after the big battle in episode 5. There could potentially be more to the Night King and that side of the storyline. Too much griping over this one episode when there’s still ~4 hours of television left. 

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

There’s still another episode after the big battle in episode 5. There could potentially be more to the Night King and that side of the storyline. Too much griping over this one episode when there’s still ~4 hours of television left. 

Okay. We will see. 

On 5/3/2019 at 11:02 PM, AURex said:

You are a hard person to please. But wth science fiction you have to just go with the flow. 

My questions came in season 7. When the dragon was killed and went under water. Then somehow we have white walkers ( who couldn’t even walk into water) dragging him out with a custom built dragon harness made from huge chains that just appeared from nowhere. I mean, who hooked this apparatus up? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AURex said:

Since Season 1 Episode 1, we have been building up to some huge REVEAL regarding the coming of winter and the white walkers. It has been posed as some sort of world changing event, with deep philosophical, moral, world shattering consequences. The Night King has been on some sort of mission to destroy humanity and achieve some mysterious goal. This is supposed to be some sort of EPIC tale that plays out over history, making the spats among royal/country folks completely irrelevant and trivial..

So what do we get? His only goal is to kill Bran, because Bran doesn't drink but he knows things?  He's a dragon slayer, immune to dragon fire, accompanied by his most powerful generals, but a little girl hops on his back (I guess none of the white walker generals behind him noticed her coming?) and stabs him. And that is the end of 8 seasons of this monumental terror confronting the world? Really?

And what are we left with?  We are right back at the very beginning with just assorted countries/enemies/psychopaths fighting each other? Right back at the game of thrones, so just ignore all that Song of Ice and Fire bit -- that was just a diversion to drag it out for additional years.

I'll watch the next few episodes just to see what happens, because I've watched this long, so a couple of hours more won't matter much. But being so disappointed in the overal lstory, I may not watch any of the spin-off series that are in the works.

I feel much the same about the Westworld series culmination. Despite the superior production values, I'm getting frustrated with HBO series that have great original ideas and then just end flat.

I want to know more about Bran. But Arya is no “ little girl “. She is 100% bad ass. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alexava said:

I want to know more about Bran. But Arya is no “ little girl “. She is 100% bad ass. 

She’s been training how to be an assassin for  the last 5 years. How are people forgetting this? 

• Like 3